Trip Report Expedition Pig Search, Whirlwind Sister Trip - Jan '17

Hey friends! We just got back from our sister trip on Sunday. :cry: I just now got my pictures on the computer, so it might take a few days to get them sorted out.

Figured I'd start the report while I am sitting here watching Hunted on CBS. Is anyone else watching it? A good friend of mine is one of the fugitives, and it's so surreal to see him on TV. But also the intense music they use on this show is making me anxious, so I need to do something while I watch. :joyfull:

Looking forward to sharing about all the fun we had!

MySmallWorldof4

Parents, do you consistently feel like you're just ripping up dollar bills and letting them float away in the wind?
That is why many times my kids will share a meal. They eat like birds which is one of the reasons we rarely do buffets now. I cannot pay full price adult prices for kids who don't eat.

She gets this disgusted look on her face when she's eating and it drives me BONKERS
My son gives the same look. He is so darn picky so if he sees something on his plate he doesn't like out comes that look. Drives me crazy. :eek:

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Love, Love, Love the tower pic!!!
Thanks!! I was pleased that it came out cute. I wasn't for sure that we'd posed at the right time, but thankfully we did :D

What type of camera do you have? I love your photos. (I'm not thinking I will magically be taking amazing photos just because I get the same camera as you :)). I'm curious as I don't like mine at all and am saving up for a new one.
For Disney I use a Fujifilm X-T1. There's a new version of it out now. I love it! It's the perfect size for traveling and the quality is excellent. It's not as user-friendly and intuitive to me as the Canon 5D Mark III that I use for work, so I tend to fumble around with it a bit. However, if you set some things to auto it would be pretty easy to use. For instance you could set it to aperture-priority and you could choose that one setting and let the camera choose the rest. In most situations that works well! There's a variety of those consumer-level Fujifilm mirrorless cameras to choose from. Sony has some great ones as well!

Sorry that was so long...hopefully it's helpful. I could talk photography all day.:joyfull:

I can't wait to try Ample Hills!!!
You will LOVE it!!!

Loving your TR and photos!
Thanks for following along!

My son gives the same look. He is so darn picky so if he sees something on his plate he doesn't like out comes that look. Drives me crazy. :eek:
Hahahaha so glad I'm not alone. I bet it was the green beans making her do that :p

LeighM

Sister wanted to ride the dreaded Friendship Boat back :arghh:. I had talked her out of it that morning, but she didn't like the idea of walking all the way back on her tired feet so I gave in. Thankfully there was room to stand on the back, so we did that. The people on the seat scooted over enough for sister to have a seat, so that was really nice.

Oh the dreaded Friendship Boat!!! I refused to ride the boat during our last trip. I don't care how much my feet hurt or how tired I am...I will always walk the path between parks instead of taking that boat LOL.

prfctlyximprct

Literally have tears in my eyes with you AK pics. And I first I was thinking you were posing like a little teapot, but then it clicked it was a mountain! I am special.

Your sister and I would be great friends, I am always hungry too! Especially in Disney! :)

prfctlyximprct

50s Primetime is on my bucket list! I tried sooooooo hard to fit it in somewhere in my trip to no avail :( Your chicken pictures are making my stomach growl.

And man, wish I was around for those nachos! Would have eaten every last one so you didn't have to waste your 12 dollars! :p

Loved those Yeti shirts, I am always tempted to buy that on the App. Are they children's size? I wanna order but don't know which size I should get!

Kiwiduck

Thanks!! I was pleased that it came out cute. I wasn't for sure that we'd posed at the right time, but thankfully we did :D

For Disney I use a Fujifilm X-T1. There's a new version of it out now. I love it! It's the perfect size for traveling and the quality is excellent. It's not as user-friendly and intuitive to me as the Canon 5D Mark III that I use for work, so I tend to fumble around with it a bit. However, if you set some things to auto it would be pretty easy to use. For instance you could set it to aperture-priority and you could choose that one setting and let the camera choose the rest. In most situations that works well! There's a variety of those consumer-level Fujifilm mirrorless cameras to choose from. Sony has some great ones as well!

Sorry that was so long...hopefully it's helpful. I could talk photography all day.:joyfull:

You will LOVE it!!!

Thanks for following along!

Hahahaha so glad I'm not alone. I bet it was the green beans making her do that :p
Cool, thats very helpful. It is actually the Fujifilm X-T2 that I have been waiting to buy. I've been waiting both for more money and also to see if they would release the cheaper X-T20 which they have!!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing the X-T20 in person before deciding. I want to start with the 16mm 1.4 and either the 18-55 or 18-135. I have a sony a6000 at the moment and the more I use it the more I dislike it

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Cool, thats very helpful. It is actually the Fujifilm X-T2 that I have been waiting to buy. I've been waiting both for more money and also to see if they would release the cheaper X-T20 which they have!!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing the X-T20 in person before deciding. I want to start with the 16mm 1.4 and either the 18-55 or 18-135. I have a sony a6000 at the moment and the more I use it the more I dislike it
Oh really?! I've heard such good things about the sony mirrorless line. If you're already familiar with mirrorless cameras, you'll be fine with the fuji. It reminds me a lot of my 35mm film SLR in how the dials are laid out. I wish some settings were accessible without going into the menu, but they have limited space for dials and buttons, so I get it. They have some great lenses though! I have the 35 1.4 and the 90 (f/2 I think...). Both are EXCELLENT. I used the 90 a little for this trip, but it's big so I didn't carry it every day. I think that's what I was using during the Lion King show.

I haven't used the X-T10, so I'd be curious to hear your thoughts if you end up getting the X-T20. I had the X-E2 for a while and wasn't pleased with the image quality. I actually still have it, but I need to sell it to help buy the lens I want.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Literally have tears in my eyes with you AK pics. And I first I was thinking you were posing like a little teapot, but then it clicked it was a mountain! I am special.

Your sister and I would be great friends, I am always hungry too! Especially in Disney! :)
That makes me laugh about the teapots. Glad you figured it out :hilarious:

50s Primetime is on my bucket list! I tried sooooooo hard to fit it in somewhere in my trip to no avail :( Your chicken pictures are making my stomach growl.

And man, wish I was around for those nachos! Would have eaten every last one so you didn't have to waste your 12 dollars! :p

Loved those Yeti shirts, I am always tempted to buy that on the App. Are they children's size? I wanna order but don't know which size I should get!
You MUST go to 50s Prime Time!! You would have a blast there. And yeah, I wish you could have come along and eaten though nachos :rolleyes:...I probably could have just eaten them, but my meal was pretty filling. The biggest annoyance was that she didn't want all the yummy toppings on it, but the restaurant still charged me for the full meal. They should have some kind of simple option for people like that...cause I know there are a lot of people like my sister!

The Yeti shirts I THINK are youth shirts? I got a large and it fits pretty loose on me. Sister got an XS. So maybe they're adult? Sorry that was entirely unhelpful... It's not a very soft shirt, but it does look pretty cool :D

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
We spend a little time at the pool and I caught a picture of sister being burped up by the clown...

Since I made a FP for Rock and Roller Coaster earlier, we headed that way after swimming. We walked and stopped at Community Hall on the way so I could trade a pin I'd seen earlier. Remember this stop...it'll come back into the report later during a moment when I legitimately questioned whether I was losing my mind.

Community Hall looks fun!

The ducks were not scared of us at all. They were having a grand ole time!

Soon enough, we made it! For once we didn't have to go through the metal detectors. We headed down Sunset Blvd. and stopped at the bathrooms on the way to RNR. It was BUSY! While standing in line, I saw this...

YUCK! You'd have to pay me a lot to sit on a bathroom floor. It was right inside the door, but still...bleh. Anyway after that we used our FP+ for another ride on Rock N Roller Coaster.

3....2...1...WOOOOOOOO!!!!!

She loved it again, of course. It honestly didn't make me as dizzy as it has in the past!

It was 7ish at this point I think? We really should have gotten some food, but we didn't for some reason. I changed plans in my head several times this evening. At the bus stop, we saw that there was an EPCOT bus, so I pitched the idea of going there and riding the monorail over to MK. Sister was interested in seeing the monorail, so we agreed that's what we'd do.

I didn't realize we'd have to go through security and THEN get on the monorail, but it wasn't too crowded, so it didn't take long.

Flickr is down right now, so I'll come back for more later!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
When we left off, sister and I were hopping on the monorail to MK.

My only sighting of the EPCOT entrance for this trip.

We both look BEAT here. :joyfull: Better perk up before this After Hours event!

We got off at the TTC and walked over to the Poly. Sister was in awe! She loved that resort. I knew Wishes was starting soon, so we sat on a chair on the beach. I probably should have just gone on to get food, but I was afraid we'd miss Wishes! Food will still be there when it's over, right?! We sat there for probably 15 minutes and then Wishes began. There was a decent crowd gathered and the volume on the speakers was quite low. I could barely hear it, so that was disappointing. Seems like it should be louder out there unless they don't really want people watching it there.

It was beautiful! Sister was texting her mom during it, but she still watched some. She wasn't as interested as I thought she'd be. Maybe we should have tried to get to the park in time for the show :oops:. Oh well, it's done now. I like the view from the beach at least!

As soon as it ended we headed to Captain Cooks, where I was excited to try some pork nachos.

My mouth is watering just thinking about these things. YUMMMMMM. Pretty sure sister got a burger and fries. We finished up and headed to MK a little before 9. I was so excited to be getting to my favorite park! It gives me butterflies every time I am headed there :inlove:

Sad train station

Ok so I'm going to try to be super detailed during this part because I know a lot of people are curious about the After Hours event. We arrived right as the park was closing and the event was starting. We just scanned our bands to get in and were given a lanyard. I had paper printouts of the tickets, but I didn't need them. It was really crowded in front of the train station and on Main Street, but we stopped for some pictures anyway.

Our first stop was Tomorrowland! I figured we'd try to just go all the way around the park and hit everything I thought she'd like. I saw a couple of people get turned away from Buzz, but other than that I didn't see any non-event-goers hanging around. They were all on Main Street that time so Tomorrowland was practically empty. I'm a little mad at myself for not taking pictures of the pathways. You could see the pavement!!

Anyway our first stop was Buzz, where we walked right on and had no one else even near us on the ride.

Nice. I beat her on this one too :D. I am so mean.

We left and headed to Space Mountain. I saw a popcorn stand with a huge line which I thought was weird. Why are all these people wasting time getting popcorn?! I realized a little later that there was free popcorn and ice cream treats at those little carts. DERP. Do your research, dummy!

There were more people walking through the queue on Space, but we still walked right onto a ride vehicle and blasted off. It was weird in there because the People Mover was closed and you could see the ride cars just sitting there with the lights on. So that made it lighter inside Space Mountain. Kind of ruined it for me, not that I care for that ride anymore anyway. It used to be my favorite, but I'd be fine not even riding it every trip now :oops:

I thankfully talked sister out of wanting to ride the Speedway. She did get a Mickey bar after Space and I had to wait for her to finish so we could do the teacups. There were probably 10-15 people in the teacups with us.

I waited until the very end to show her how to really spin it. Haha! 10 seconds of super fast spinning wasn't too bad.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Next was something I'd never done before!

Dumbo! I rode this at Disneyland when I was a baby, but of course I have no recollection of that. I do have pictures though, so I know it happened. At WDW I see no reason to wait in line for it, so I've never done it. It was cute, but my dumbo wouldn't go up and down.

Next we went to Under the Sea. I still lose my bearings back here a little, but I'm starting to figure it out. I just don't go to Fantasyland as much as some of the other areas, so I'm not as familiar back there.

This was only my second ride on this. It's pretty cute. I'm not much of a Little Mermaid fan (sorry, I know some people in particular are going to gasp at that...I won't tag a certain someone who just got engaged. Maybe she won't see it :cautious:)

Of course the next stop was 7 Dwarves. Sister loved it! I think we waited a few minutes in line for this one. 5 minutes max though, it was still practically a walk-on. BTW I didn't mention this before, but all you had to do to get on a ride was show your lanyard. After a while they stopped making us hold it up, but they still always glanced down to check for it.

We wandered out of there and I wanted to show sister the mosaics in the castle. I also grabbed one of those strawberry lemonade bars to eat while we meandered. Sister thought it was silly that you can't explore inside the castle. I guess it would be cool if you could, but can you imagine how much of a nightmare that would be logistically? Anyway we enjoyed the views and took some pictures over there.

We did Peter Pan's Flight (I'm still meh on it...Sister was too). We stopped by the Tangled toilets, then it was time for my favorite!

I have no idea if sister liked any of these things. She was most enthusiastic about 7 Dwarves so far. But the next ride we did was probably her favorite of the night.

We got to choose our own seat for the wildest ride in the wilderness! I chose the farthest one back that I could. She loved it!!! We laughed all the way through it. I was not at all interested in riding Splash when it was 70 degrees and dropping with no sunshine. NOPE. Sorry, sister, that'll have to wait. So we skipped that and headed over to Adventureland for the only kind of cruise I've ever been on.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster

I didn't take any pictures on the Jungle Cruise, but it was good. Sister laughed, thankfully. She thought it was silly. I took the above picture on the way back over to Big Thunder. I love seeing the castle from all over the park.

We rode two or three more times! I think we were right at a half hour left in the park at this point, maybe a smidgen more. We decided to close out the night riding 7 Dwarves. We grabbed some free popcorn and bottled water and enjoyed those on our walk.

31732581633_81f86dc0aa_b.jpg

A shaky iPhone shot of the one other person in Frontierland.:joyfull: This was one of the moments where it almost felt eerie how empty it was. It's hard to describe, but the quiet is kind of unsettling. That's not a complaint though. I hope they keep it that way! I will definitely be doing this again!

We rode 7 Dwarves 4 more times. After the 4th time, it was 2 minutes until midnight, so we had just enough time to grab two more ice creams for the road home.

I love this shot of the train station through the castle. I have tried to get this several times, but there's never a break with no people walking through. Thank you special event! It was worth the wait :inlove:

*sigh* goodnight, beautiful.

We stopped for a little photo shoot in front of the partner statue. I never want to wait for that during the day, so now seemed like the perfect time. There were these ladies having their own little photo shoot right in front of where the photographer was shooting. All of us standing there just kind of stopped and stared at them until they went away. o_Oo_Oo_O I don't think they even cared :rolleyes: The photopass photographer was like "That one's for Instagram, that one's for Snapchat...oh gotta get another one for Facebook. And that one for MySpace. They're bringing that back, you know." It was funny :hilarious:

Most everyone was filing out at this point, but even then Main Street wasn't very crowded.

I would absolutely do this event again. In a heartbeat. Now, I did get the AP discount, and there are only two of us. If I was buying this at full price for a family of four, I might balk. It was really awesome, but is it $500 awesome? Maybe not. Magic Kingdom on a regular day is still pretty darn fun! This was just a great way for me to get sister on almost every ride in a short amount of time. Perfect for a short trip!

If you have any questions at all about the event, please ask! I don't mind at all, and I'll do my best to answer.

We waited probably 15 minutes for a bus, then we got back to the room at about 1. Sister crashed and I showered and crawled into bed. Guess what happened at 2am AGAIN. Our *CUSSCUSSCUSS* neighbors woke me up! Two nights in a row. How are they not tired?!

I was tired enough that I went back to sleep pretty quickly though.

amjt660

Premium Member
When we left off, sister and I were hopping on the monorail to MK.

Our first stop was Tomorrowland! I figured we'd try to just go all the way around the park and hit everything I thought she'd like. I saw a couple of people get turned away from Buzz, but other than that I didn't see any non-event-goers hanging around. They were all on Main Street that time so Tomorrowland was practically empty. I'm a little mad at myself for not taking pictures of the pathways. You could see the pavement!!

Anyway our first stop was Buzz, where we walked right on and had no one else even near us on the ride.

Nice. I beat her on this one too :D. I am so mean.
Wow - look at that determined face.
Remind me to never challenge you to a ride on Buzz
You would kick my a##

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom