Trip Report Everything Is Just So Peachy Keen! *COMPLETED*

It certainly was for us Georgia peaches this last week! For those who may be new here, let us introduce ourselves. We are Tuvalu and Em, a mother-daughter duo who love traveling together to Walt Disney World. We take multiple trips per year (this was our third for 2022) and for us, time spent at our resort is just as important to us as time spent in the parks. Slow-paced relaxation is vital to us!

I’m sure this laid-back vibe is what draws people to cruises: pools, bars, a variety of restaurants and activities from which to choose . I can’t do ships. But I can happily “land cruise” at WDW!

Hope you decide to follow along and learn about the surprises on our most recent voyage.

When: July 20-27, 2022
Where: Disney’s Yacht Club and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge Resorts

7E160415-7A3A-4F3E-864F-F9C0094A947D.jpeg

Nothing can stop us now!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

The pool area was crowded all day but there was always room (for personal space) in the water, thanks to the pool’s size. I believe Boulder Ridge is one of the largest quiet pools on property. Em and I alternated between relaxing in the water and reading in our loungers.

Clouds and dark sky began to roll in shortly before 3pm. As much as we hated to leave, we still needed to unload the car and didn’t feel like doing so in a rainstorm! We got our belongings and headed for our room.

“What’s that perfumy smell?” asked Em after entering the room.

Oh good she smells it too, I thought.

We did a quick look around. We deduced it could not be coming from the lobby, as our room was too far away and not near it. Stepping back out into the hall, we could smell nothing. It was only inside our room.

“Maybe it’s chemicals from a deep clean?” said Em. I shrugged. The odor was especially pungent when the a/c was blowing. It wasn’t an unpleasant smell….fragrantly floral….but anyone with a sensitive nose wouldn’t have been able to tolerate it.

At that moment neither of us felt like undergoing the hassle of trying to switch rooms, so we decided to live with it for now.

And it turned out we left the pool at the right time. Though it never rained, there was lightning in the area and both pools closed.

72A19024-3121-40AE-BED5-D9BA05BD97EB.jpeg

It made for a lovely picture!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Since we were having a resort day, it stands to reason that dinner would be at our resort.

000C1902-59D7-4277-96B6-D28C861EB12B.jpeg

Whispering Canyon Cafe is once again full of life and schtick.

027DD65C-C87B-43A1-9C4F-6365B8530D2F.jpeg

Sadly for us, we would not be seated in the main dining room where most of the shenanigans occur. I was in the mood for some entertainment. Instead Em and I were led to the only two-top table in the restaurant — in the back next to the fireplace. We’ve been sequestered here before.

65940F07-9044-4F70-B1FE-055DFF31B8D3.jpeg

The table had a wonderful view of the kitchen door and a narrow view of the big dining room, where a hobby horse race was happening.

9029BF8A-E3AE-4090-BE99-4FE2D7C96879.jpeg

I was somewhat optimistic when I saw the name of our server, Right Neighborly. Surely we’d be in for some folksy fun?

37A21425-003B-4154-9A69-C7DFAE41188E.jpeg

I couldn’t have been more wrong. He was a dud. Not the warm personality his name conveyed. After our initial order he never returned to check on us. I had to flag down someone for water refills.

But the food was fab, right?

Burnt ends nachos are our go-to here. But during a meal in April with our friend Kel we branched out and tried the Traditional Signature Skillet. It was a lot of food but so so good! I was under the impression that Em and I would order it again tonight.

Again, I was wrong.

She wasn’t that hungry and wanted the nachos. I had been thinking about the skillet since our last visit and wasn’t feeling the nachos. It’s rare that we don’t order the same thing. Tonight was out of the ordinary.

B820D685-DC08-4373-B7BD-7CC75D35535B.jpeg

I should have stuck with the nachos. I could barely make a dent in the amount of food I was given.

How much cornbread can one person eat? Five pieces is four too many for me.

B17BB0C5-6B06-4D5B-9AB5-46BF569505B8.jpeg

This giant mound of pulled pork was hidden by a slice of brisket and piece of chicken. Unlike my pal @Tony the Tigger, I am not a pulled pork ‘ho! I put most of it in a doggy box and stashed it in our room fridge.

BB0AE734-2C9F-41A2-B311-3C5519CDAEDC.jpeg

Then promptly forgot about it until check out day, when I threw it out. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I was much too full for dessert but Em wanted a milkshake. Milkshakes are supposed to be “bottomless” but because our server essentially disappeared, she settled for what came in the mason jar.

88572A10-613A-41C2-AC6F-FB836D33B315.jpeg

It was a very expensive shake……NINE DOLLARS!!!

Billy6

Guilty of this flub...

I Did It Reaction GIF by Originals
Our very first stay at CC as Members was in the "special" Deluxe studio rooms where the room was a refurbished "suite" from WL. The entrance was a long hallway and living room and bed area was separated, like a 1 BR. Anyway, the "master" switch was all the way back at the front by the door and we had to "figure it out" too. There was no labels on them back in 2018

This is also similar to DCL staterooms where you have to put a card in the slot for the main power to work.

93boomer

Premium Member
Our very first stay at CC as Members was in the "special" Deluxe studio rooms where the room was a refurbished "suite" from WL. The entrance was a long hallway and living room and bed area was separated, like a 1 BR. Anyway, the "master" switch was all the way back at the front by the door and we had to "figure it out" too. There was no labels on them back in 2018

This is also similar to DCL staterooms where you have to put a card in the slot for the main power to work.
We stayed at a hotel, I think in Arizona or Utah, that we had a card you had to insert to turn on the lights. It took us awhile to get used to it. And no one at the front desk informed us. We wondered why our room had no lights!😃

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em and I decided to take a walk after dinner.

The grounds of the resort are so peaceful.

We noticed a boat heading to the campground from the MK. It made us wish for the resort launch that used to link WL, Fort Wilderness and Contemporary. Covid killed it and it’s rumored never to return. :cry:

BC4D5479-6560-4D53-AD87-C73EE7807946.jpeg

A marshmallow roast was in full swing. Guests are handed a full baggy and can roast as many marshmallows as they wish.

45E1F62E-BFAD-49B8-8DE8-D2A9C15B9A22.jpeg

2870C38A-159B-41FB-8EF4-0A9120A6CB05.jpeg

Who knew that our favorite holiday resort also celebrates Christmas in July?!!

D8A43B8B-014C-4CC1-B143-404AE09F2D69.jpeg

We didn’t.

Too bad neither Em nor I remembered two days later. We missed out on free s’mores!!

slipperalwaysfits

Yeah, we've had some very bummer waiters at WDW since 2020. I don't need ALL of them to be super personable but when you're at a place like Whispering Canyon, it's definitely more fun when they put effort into it. I'm wondering if your server thought your location meant you didn't want any fun? But even so, they need to be much more attentive to you and check on you during the meal. I get being understaffed and overworked but ....it's still basic customer service and WDW used to be known for exceptional customer service. It pains me when I hear things like this.

I know some CM's--or even, most, are really trying to give exceptional CS, but have been put in almost impossible situations...

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was not happy when the bungalows were added at the Polynesian. Beautiful beach views were ruined. Sunset Point was destroyed.

The addition of cabins to the Wilderness Lodge was not as intrusive. Trees conceal many of them. They feel private and not “out there” like the bungalows.

A26892C1-8D29-42E5-8176-B32712507C6D.jpeg

Spending a week in a Cascade Cabin is on Em’s bucket list. (However staying in a Ft. Wilderness campground cabin isn’t on any of her lists….except maybe “no thanks.” 😉🤣)

We went exploring.

7E133189-DFBF-4420-9BC5-BB5AF4DF4DCD.jpeg

DE3E1204-6CB4-478A-A7D0-0C6FF3711DF6.jpeg

D0BD51FA-2B7F-4043-97A6-E08E96916989.jpeg

An artsy shot! :hilarious:

4E7587F2-1147-4D76-8306-F7998F3CB9D8.jpeg

B471397C-3BA6-496B-8B83-A74BB8CB6F82.jpeg

🎶Although we’ve come to the end of the road….

6081F554-18C1-43F1-94C0-27138EB8E230.jpeg

lindawdw

I remember reading quite a few of your TR's where you were seated in the corner at WCC and it really does take away from feeling included in on all the fun that happens in the main dining room. :rolleyes: Sorry your server turned out to be inattentive too although your meals did look very good. I think I would have opted for dessert at Roaring Rapids for the price of that shake! You can get a tour of the Cascade Cabins by going to the DVC desk and requesting to see them. :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yeah, we've had some very bummer waiters at WDW since 2020. I don't need ALL of them to be super personable but when you're at a place like Whispering Canyon, it's definitely more fun when they put effort into it. I'm wondering if your server thought your location meant you didn't want any fun? But even so, they need to be much more attentive to you and check on you during the meal. I get being understaffed and overworked but ....it's still basic customer service and WDW used to be known for exceptional customer service. It pains me when I hear things like this.

I know some CM's--or even, most, are really trying to give exceptional CS, but have been put in almost impossible situations...

I remember reading quite a few of your TR's where you were seated in the corner at WCC and it really does take away from feeling included in on all the fun that happens in the main dining room. :rolleyes: Sorry your server turned out to be inattentive too although your meals did look very good. I think I would have opted for dessert at Roaring Rapids for the price of that shake! You can get a tour of the Cascade Cabins by going to the DVC desk and requesting to see them. :)
At the very least we expected our serve to be attentive and efficient, neither of which he was. He treated the two tables nearby similarly, so it wasn’t just us.

Em had a craving for ice cream (which Roaring Fork didn’t have) and thus the reason for the milkshake. She had no idea it cost $9 until the bill arrived.

Em and I decided to take a walk after dinner.

The grounds of the resort are so peaceful.

We noticed a boat heading to the campground from the MK. It made us wish for the resort launch that used to link WL, Fort Wilderness and Contemporary. Covid killed it and it’s rumored never to return. :cry:

View attachment 664707

A marshmallow roast was in full swing. Guests are handed a full baggy and can roast as many marshmallows as they wish.

View attachment 664708

View attachment 664709

Who knew that our favorite holiday resort also celebrates Christmas in July?!!

View attachment 664710

We didn’t.

Too bad neither Em nor I remembered two days later. We missed out on free s’mores!!
Do you men there are no longer boats from Wilderness Lodge to the other resorts on Bay Lake?

Spash007

@Tuvalu thank you for the master switch story. I’m pretty sure you just saved me a hefty electrician bill. No kidding

Our hall bath has recessed lighting, and last fall the lights above the bath went out. No matter what I did they would not turn on. Since there were other lights controlled by a different switch, it wasn’t a big deal.

Then this weekend we did a soft refurb to the bathroom - paint, a new mirror, some shelves, and went to change the light switches from off white to white. With this I figured I would end up calling an electrician soon to replace those lights to get them to work. Lo and behold, when I open up the switch to those lights, they are connected to an outlet with a reset button. For no other reason that I can think of besides that I just read your report, I hit that reset button.

It was like we were in Christmas vacation. My wife shielded her eyes, the kids were clapping, and my BIL showed up. Ok, that third part isn’t true, but there was a lot happiness from that one, apparently master, button!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
@Tuvalu thank you for the master switch story. I’m pretty sure you just saved me a hefty electrician bill. No kidding

Our hall bath has recessed lighting, and last fall the lights above the bath went out. No matter what I did they would not turn on. Since there were other lights controlled by a different switch, it wasn’t a big deal.

Then this weekend we did a soft refurb to the bathroom - paint, a new mirror, some shelves, and went to change the light switches from off white to white. With this I figured I would end up calling an electrician soon to replace those lights to get them to work. Lo and behold, when I open up the switch to those lights, they are connected to an outlet with a reset button. For no other reason that I can think of besides that I just read your report, I hit that reset button.

It was like we were in Christmas vacation. My wife shielded her eyes, the kids were clapping, and my BIL showed up. Ok, that third part isn’t true, but there was a lot happiness from that one, apparently master, button!

I’m always glad when my experience helps someone else — your story is now my favorite!!

Happy Christmas Vacation GIF by Divi Project

riverside

I don't mind. After two years it is nice to feel a sense of normalcy again.
I totally agree!!
The walkability to Epcot was a definite plus!
That's exactly why I love staying in that area!!
Ten minutes later we had our reunion with @fractal, @fractal jr and Toni.
So neat you were able to meet up!!
What gave Beach the edge over Yacht was the ability to dine in the Solarium. This pretty spot is a favorite of ours.
I'm embarrassed to say that I walked by there every day for 8 days in July & never once set foot in there!!
I could do without the glow cube, but I took it home to add to my collection. The Tuva-tinys think the cubes are fun!
J still tries talking us into getting drinks that have the glow cubes in them!! He has to have a ton of them by now!!
It was mid-afternoon and we figured Stormalong Bay would be packed. We decided to take a peek at the quiet pool (to assess crowd level) before going back to our room.
When we stayed there we only went in Stormalong Bay once. It was so crowed plus there weren't any tubes available for the lazy river. J even decided that he liked the quiet pool better so that's where we went the rest of the trip!
But the queasy feeling would remain for the next 45 minutes.
I know the feeling....🤢

I love your Wilderness Lodge pictures. I would really like to stay there but E has no desire to!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom