News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Disneyland might have a word to say about that:). They have done..... Though usually DL firework shows do last 3 to 5 years.

Together Forever 2018 replaced the three year DL Forever
Mickeys Mix Magic replaces that in 2019
But it's another 4 years before Wonderous.
True but in Epcot they’ve been building and destroying very expensive hardware as well

Animaniac93-98

But I'm pretty sure that I am in the minority there, and probably a relatively small minority. I think most WDW visitors want to see Disney characters, hear Disney songs, etc. at all the parks, for better or worse.

Even the VOL sing some Disney songs now as part of their show, something I don't remember them doing years ago.

Unfortunate how EPCOT today can't go 5 minutes without making Disney movie references.

It would be like if they stuck the Minions into every ride at Universal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Couple cool overheads of Luminous from Bioreconstruct

This really highlights how the show was designed to be seen equally all around the lagoon.

Of course, we all know the rather apparent directional bias Harmonious had with the Stargated.

But even RoE had issues: As big as the earth-sphere was, it really wasn't big enough to really make out the projections on it, unless you were in the cordoned off Fastpass viewing area in Showcase Plaza. From there, the sphere was closest to a shore line and you could make out what was happening on the sphere. And it seemed to me that the show was meant to be seen from that direction.

Illuminous makes itself large enough to be seen from all shorelines.

Tho, with so much happening on the lagoon surface, I wonder if people three or four people deep can see all that. Time will tell...

hpyhnt 1000

I’m not convinced this will be a long running show like illuminations was

The barges seem too close where the lighting effects look jumbled at times. The music and flow feels like something is missing to me but that may change over time. Too much narration as well. They really needed to have fire effects somewhere. I ended up liking harmonious more than I thought I would after many views and not liking it at all at first so who knows where this will end up. Time will tell.

Regardless I still think an amazing Epcot fireworks show would use some music from illuminations and have new fireworks and effects tech as we see today…but they want to make Epcot like magic kingdom where they can
Agree completely.

I think the main barges would be more effective rotated 90 degrees to create a sort of continuous hexagonal ring in the lagoon center. It would allow the fountains to "chase" around in a circle (ditto the lighting) or create a wall of water to project lighting effects or even lasers and images. It would also permit better segmenting of the effects, where some barges are fountain focused and the others are light focused during points of the show. Right now many of the effects are squished toward the center away from the audience, so it all gets muddled and harder to discern.

I feel the show would have benefited from one more round of creative editing: tighten up the narration, tweak the barge layout, give the score another edit to better integrate (although ideally eliminate) the movie IP, and really nail down the show design and pacing. Luminous is definitely a big step in the right direction, so it'd be great to see Disney embrace that and keep improving the show.

Epcot82Guy

As I watch this again, I actually find myself
Agree completely.

I think the main barges would be more effective rotated 90 degrees to create a sort of continuous hexagonal ring in the lagoon center. It would allow the fountains to "chase" around in a circle (ditto the lighting) or create a wall of water to project lighting effects or even lasers and images. It would also permit better segmenting of the effects, where some barges are fountain focused and the others are light focused during points of the show. Right now many of the effects are squished toward the center away from the audience, so it all gets muddled and harder to discern.

I feel the show would have benefited from one more round of creative editing: tighten up the narration, tweak the barge layout, give the score another edit to better integrate (although ideally eliminate) the movie IP, and really nail down the show design and pacing. Luminous is definitely a big step in the right direction, so it'd be great to see Disney embrace that and keep improving the show.

These are some interesting ideas. I actually think this highlights some subtle genius to the infrastructure. These barges could be tweaked, added to, etc. to create a new concept and presentation - using what you have and adding/adjusting. That's good design.

VJ

As someone who just lost a family member it was a powerful moment in the show, but I wonder if it's just a little to dark for Disney show?
“I didn’t treat my youngsters like frail flowers, and I think no parent should. Children are people, and they should have to reach to learn about things, to understand things, just as adults have to reach if they want to grow in mental stature. Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful, insincere and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows. Most things are good, and they are the strongest things, but there are evil things, too, and you could do a child no favor by trying to shield it from reality. The important thing is to teach a child that good can always triumph over evil, and that is what our pictures do.” -Walt Disney

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Don't forget to fill out the poll once you watch it either in-person or on video!

Here's a current check in:

1702061617284.png

jpinkc

OK I have been trying NOT to LOOK, But Do I need my Pitchfork and Torches, before I see this New Show?? Maybe a grenade launcher for the Lagoon?

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
OK I have been trying NOT to LOOK, But Do I need my Pitchfork and Torches, before I see this New Show?? Maybe a grenade launcher for the Lagoon?
It's best to go in with an open mind and not to let people's opinions cloud your first impressions. Everyone here whose seen it live and/or on video has such vastly different feelings about the show. As a longtime IllumiNations fan boy, I think this is one of the best shows to ever perform in Epcot. It has the feel of Reflections of Earth but with the, inevitable, touches of modern Disney.

Epcot82Guy

Doubtful. If you loved Harmonious and didn't care for any Illuminations or EF, then probably.

If you don't fall in that category, then you will likely fall somewhere between disappointed/"meh" to pleasantly surprised... maybe even enjoying it quite a bit. Not many are saying it's a slam dunk. But, for legacy Epcot show fans, the consensus seems to be a step in the right direction (the size of that step being up for debate).

jpinkc

I am and will always be a Wishes and Illuminations Fanboy! Harm damaged my family and did me BODILY HARM!!! :), Seriously we went saw it and my whole family hated Harm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom