Epcot named worst tourist trap in Florida

PeoplemoverTTA

Honestly, and I mean this with all due respect, but to write for Business Insider you most definitely don't need to be a "journalist." Anyone who self publishes or submits to other online sites can get in as a contributor to Business Insider. This is coming from someone who is a contributor to The Huffington Post and Entrepreneur, so I'm not just bashing but understand how they work - it's a really popular way for freelance writers and business consultants to make a name for themselves and land clients.

One of the "authors" of this post is also an intern. This article was written to get clicks and boost advertising revenue. I imagine it's doing a good job of that, lol.

mikenatcity1

this article seems more opinion than anything...most of my adult friends prefer EPCOT and choose to go there when they can only do 1 park. On a personal note- i've been to the Christmas Story house...it's actually kind of cool! The museum is on the smaller side but still fun. If you're lucky, some of the locals that were also cast members will be there telling their stories on filming. I wouldn't call it a "tourist trap" (at least not like the wall of gum or car-henge).

RSoxNo1

Currently, I think Epcot is the 2nd worst Disney park in the country (with only DHS behind it). When Star Wars opens it will be dead last.

I visited in January of 2016 and it was the worst. That was when Soarin' was closed for the Soarin' Around the World Update and Maelstrom was changing into Frozen Ever After. Those two changes put it ahead of DHS today, but that's not a high bar.

In 2019 Epcot will be the worst Disney park in the world except for maybe Disney Studios Paris.

Jedi Stitch

This Millennial writer is worse than me. I think they just google each state and grabbed a photo with out any real journalistic investigation. I have been to many of these sites, and the appeal is just that it is a Tourist thing to do, but the writer has so many things wrong or not even covered.
WDW is a trap in the entire park, not just Epcot. Even then, Florida has many others. I guess they never been to Marathon during MardiGra Fantasy Festival, huh. The writer did mention Bourbon Street for the same reason. The Gum Wall is a part of the Pike Place Market, the only continues year around running public market on the west coast. Usually the Space Needle makes the list. The magnificent mile is about the architecture, but the writer would need a real degree to understand. Craters of the Moon is a young at 10,000 year old lava flow, with spelunking and climbing cinder cones. Mall of America, wife gets to shop while kid & I get to play. Win. Win. 50,000 silver dollars. I knew when it was just 10,000 silver dollars. If you are already on I-90 you are going from Spokane,Wa through the Idaho pan handle, you are hitting first place to stop in Montana. If they are ripping on Atlantic City Boardwalk, then don't visit Disney's either by the writers nonthinking. Roswell,NM has more than Rachel, NV for Close Encounters. Times Square like some of the other attractions on the list are at least a Once in a life time experience. Why does the Writer keep dising American History, be it pop couture or actual american history.
I guess if the writer thinks Epcott is the worst trap in Florida....well I am thinking that person needs to take a road trip and then re-write the article.

njDizFan

Business Insider is fake news. Like Forbes or The Motley Fool, it's little more than a blog with a brand name.
None of these publications are "fake news". That term is real and definable. Often using Website spoofing as away to proliferate the item. These are real media outlets, if you disagree with their content or opinions that's fine but they are not fake news.

Last edited:

bh_trade

We just got back back from a week in the Orlando area, went to theme parks only 2 of the days. Figured my teenagers would be most intrigued by land of Pandora since it was new and awesome, plus we had never even been to AK. We spent the 1st 2/3 of the day at AK then the kids were practically begging me to go to Epcot so we hopped over there to finish out the day. I could just see it in their eyes once we got to Epcot, it was magical, they were reminiscing about visits in years past, how much they missed Maelstrom, how good it was to see Spaceship Earth, why was Mission Space closed, etc. A couple days later we started out in MK intending to do the entire day there. After fighting all the strollers and crowds for 2/3 of the day, again the kids wanted to go back to Epcot to close it down - so we did.

That is my long winded way of saying for my kids, Epcot is the most magical place on earth.

JoeCamel

We just got back back from a week in the Orlando area, went to theme parks only 2 of the days. Figured my teenagers would be most intrigued by land of Pandora since it was new and awesome, plus we had never even been to AK. We spent the 1st 2/3 of the day at AK then the kids were practically begging me to go to Epcot so we hopped over there to finish out the day. I could just see it in their eyes once we got to Epcot, it was magical, they were reminiscing about visits in years past, how much they missed Maelstrom, how good it was to see Spaceship Earth, why was Mission Space closed, etc. A couple days later we started out in MK intending to do the entire day there. After fighting all the strollers and crowds for 2/3 of the day, again the kids wanted to go back to Epcot to close it down - so we did.

That is my long winded way of saying for my kids, Epcot is the most magical place on earth.
Glad there is still the scintilla of substance that the park was built with that your kids found. I went in '82 then again in '83 and '84. Through the 90's I watched it sink, flail and lose it's way into the 2000's.
When I walked in the first time I felt like I did at the world's fair in '64. It was amazing to see what the world had brought to one place. They had the videophone from ATT! It was the most amazing place I could imagine. I was 10 when I went to the world fair, a sponge that soaked up every thing that popped out of the sci-fi books I loved. Then EPCOT rekindled those feelings 20 years later. Glad your kids can find a bit of that, if only they could see the original.

I agree with the click bait - it is an overpriced roadside attraction that is designed to fleece the tourist of boo-coo dollars today. Not what it started as.

Last edited:

matt9112

The only time I like Epcot anymore is during F&W and even then it's a glorified shopping mall. I don't have any real hangups towards drunkards stumbling around the world, but I've seen the damage some of them have done to the property firsthand.

FutureWorld is so terrible now. :arghh:

i go to EPCOT and play the old entrance loop in my headphones....than i leave.

Tom Morrow

Many people seem to misuse the term "tourist trap" and apply it to "tourist attraction." To be a tourist trap it has to promise something and then severely under-deliver. I honestly don't think most tourist attractions are tourist traps... people are just bad at setting their expectations accordingly.

HMF

Currently, I think Epcot is the 2nd worst Disney park in the country (with only DHS behind it). When Star Wars opens it will be dead last.

I visited in January of 2016 and it was the worst. That was when Soarin' was closed for the Soarin' Around the World Update and Maelstrom was changing into Frozen Ever After. Those two changes put it ahead of DHS today, but that's not a high bar.

In 2019 Epcot will be the worst Disney park in the world except for maybe Disney Studios Paris.
I would say DCA is a candidate, now. It wasn't a few years ago.

Daveeeeed

WDW may be showing it's age in places (looking at FW) BUT even those areas that are showing their age still make up the best theme parks on the planet.

I understand why EPCOT and DHS are drawing criticism these days, but as a destination, WDW (including theme parks, resorts and everything else) remains my favourite place to visit. I'll still folk out thousands of dollars and travel thousands of miles to get my fix as not much else compares... certainly wouldn't call anything inside those purple gates a tourist trap! Anyone who does, sadly doesn't 'get it' and I feel sorry for them as they're missing out!
Disney World is awesome, but if you haven't I recommend checking out Disneyland in Anaheim if you ever have the chance.

Spike-in-Berlin

I understand some of these criticism about EPCOT, I also have known it from the beginning on, first visit was in 1984. I was blown away as a child from a city that to present day has no amusement park, not to mention theme parks. But even with all the losses over the years ( Horizons *sigh*), some several outdated attractions and some less than convincing additions and changes EPCOT is still far better than most normal parks worldwide. Of course not for thrillseekers but EPCOT was never built for them.

Bocabear

EPCOT is a park on an epic scale.. truly. There is no way, even with the amount of decay that thisa park even gets close to being the Worst Theme Park in the world... YES!! they need to update, expand and refresh, but even in it's present declined state, it is still a beautiful park...I think if they follow through on investments it could again be a real crown jewel like it was in 82'

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
EPCOT is a park on an epic scale.. truly. There is no way, even with the amount of decay that thisa park even gets close to being the Worst Theme Park in the world... YES!! they need to update, expand and refresh, but even in it's present declined state, it is still a beautiful park...I think if they follow through on investments it could again be a real crown jewel like it was in 82'

Leu Gardens is just as beautiful, if not more beautiful and membership is only $50 for your whole household. Epcot is still magical if you close your eyes and imagine that it's something it is no longer, but why pay the cover charge for that when you can just daydream about how wonderful Epcot was from work? :joyfull:

RSoxNo1

By 2019 it will likely be the second worst Disney theme park in the world. That still makes it amongst the best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom