Epcot named worst tourist trap in Florida

Kman101

Tower of Terror is the only redeeming factor for DHS for me anyway. If that wasn't there, they could have bulldozed the entire park for the "make over" and I would have been content. But I feel the same about FW. Its an embarrassment.

What's so bad about the front half of the park? I don't care much for TSMM but it's a popular attraction, so is RnRC, Star Tours and MuppetVision. GMR is wonderful as well. I think the front half has always looked great. Just wondering why the front half is so disliked? DHS has always been one of my favorite little parks because of the front half. I don't understand people calling it trash or disliking it but to each their own :D

MerlinTheGoat

They spelled Disney's Hollywood Studios wrong
Not even that one honestly. Though I'm guessing you're only messing with even that statement. Or maybe you're serious, either way I disagree.

I live in Florida and know the place relatively well by now. As much criticism as WDW gets from us (and deserves), it is nowhere near bottom of the barrel tourist trap fare. It's still at the top relative to most other tourist related activities. And that includes all four parks, Epcot and DHS too. Epcot is bad compared to its pre-94 form absolutely, but it still decimates a lot of the other garbage set up around the Orlando area. Particularly the perpetual roadside carnival vomit polluting Kissimmee and International Drive.

I'm one of WDW's harshest critics (though also an old fan), but even I can see this article for the ridiculous garbage it is.

MerlinTheGoat

Oh absolutely it was in jest. I live in Orlando and DHS is far from the worst experience in town...believe me :cool:
Yup, I probably share a similar opinion of the park as yourself (soon to be even more negative with GMR gone). But anyone who has ventured outside the WDW or Universal bubbles (heck you don't even have to look far) will see how much worse it can get in just the Orlando area.

captainkidd

As much work as Epoct needs, this article is nothing but pure crap. Though it lacks enough attractions, some are my favorites in all of Florida. To say nothing about how great some of the food is.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Unfortunately this is slightly accurate. Imagine how this park looks to guests who visit for the first time? World Showcase is beautiful but Future World is awful. I can only imagine how it's been doing in Guest Feedback. I don't quite agree with drunkards stumbling around but I know some people have hangups towards this.
Don't imagine. Look it up on TripAdvisor.

EricsBiscuit

The people who wrote that article have clearly not seen the manatees at the Seas.

Edit: the manatees are a must do every trip. I rope drop them every time.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They also said the Alamo is the worst tourist trap in Texas. :mad:

I enjoyed seeing the Alamo, but what I think throws a lot of people is that they see this picture and imagine it out in the un-spoiled prairie.....

upload_2017-6-25_15-10-10.png

but in reality, if you turn 180 degrees...

upload_2017-6-25_15-11-12.png

Creathir

I enjoyed seeing the Alamo, but what I think throws a lot of people is that they see this picture and imagine it out in the un-spoiled prairie.....

View attachment 212003

View attachment 212004

There actually is a project in San Antonio to close down those shops across the street, close the street, and restore the footprint of the original fort as it was during the battle.

The Alamo most know is actually just the chapel (though it had canon on top of it during the battle) with only the short barracks still standing alongside the chapel.

This new project is aimed at removing the carnival barker atmosphere which is currently present in the area known as Alamo Plaza, and to try and bring rightful reverence to the area.

Tourist trap, it is not.

The authors of that article can go pound sand. Us Texans don't want folks like that visiting our great state anyway.

In the paraphrased words of the late great David Crockett, those authors can go to hell, I'm staying in Texas.

The Mom

Premium Member

View attachment 212003

View attachment 212004

That can be said of many tourist attractions - worldwide. The Great Pyramids, Colosseum, Forum, Acropolis, etc - all surrounded by a modern city.

CinematicFusion

Tourist Trap? No...and it's about to improve.
However, does it feel like you are stepping into some retro 1982 vision of the future? Yes. Future world feels so so so dated.
Imagination and Ellen's Energy Adventure are two of the worst rides on the planet....and they have been for at least 15 years.
Mission Space always divides a party. Those who thought it was cool...and those who will never ride it again.

Golf ball is one of my all time favorites.
Soarin is cool, Test track is fun
The sea with Nemo is fun when you have little kids.
Living with the land I've always had a soft spot for.

I don't like to waste much time in Future World...ride what you need to ride and get out as quickly as possible.

I do enjoy World Showcase.

grnflash

Unfortunately this is slightly accurate. Imagine how this park looks to guests who visit for the first time? World Showcase is beautiful but Future World is awful. I can only imagine how it's been doing in Guest Feedback. I don't quite agree with drunkards stumbling around but I know some people have hangups towards this.

This x 1000. Our first WDW visit was 5 years ago (coming from SoCal so obviously a DL'er.) The thing I was most excited to see was Epcot...after reading all the gushing reviews on multiple Disney sites. Talk about a letdown. Frankly I was blown away. Future World is a straight up bust imo. Sure there are some good rides, not my own all emcompassing criteria of what makes a great park (or I'd be spending more time at Magic Mountain.) Yes WS was better, but by that time I didn't care. Seeing Remy at lunch was the highlight of the day...hear he's long gone.

DL'ers get knocked alot for running on nostalgia, sometimes rightfully so, but they've got nothing on the Epcot fandom.

Last edited:

The_Jobu

What do they mean by "tourist trap" exactly? Place where most tourists visit? Or place where most tourists visit AND it's disappointing?

Anyway, Epcot is Bestcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom