Epcot / Germany River Ride

PhilharMagician

The WS has been very stagnent for many years. I personally am surprised that none of the countries have invested money to create a new state of the art ride to help boost their tourism. The fims are nice, but all are outdated (Canada should see it's new film soon). Countries like Italy and Germany really do not have much going on except for their respective restaurants. Mexico is now supposed to get a long needed update, but how updated will it get????

With the Epcot anniversary coming up, I would hope some energy and money are focused back at WS as is happening in FW.

lpet11984

The WS has been very stagnent for many years. I personally am surprised that none of the countries have invested money to create a new state of the art ride to help boost their tourism. The fims are nice, but all are outdated (Canada should see it's new film soon). Countries like Italy and Germany really do not have much going on except for their respective restaurants. Mexico is now supposed to get a long needed update, but how updated will it get????

I wholeheartedly agree, and I too am surprised that the countries themselves haven't followed through with updating their investments more. I can only hope that the current updates will help spur some thoughts and $ on the part of the other countries.

MickeyTigg

Despite this point, I do believe that Germany, Italy, Japan, Morrocco and England are in desparate need for a movie (not another 360 screen though) or small ride. But Italy and England are in the most desparate need.

IMO....I think Italy is in the more desperate need.

Orlando Jonez

Germany is our favorite pavillion in our favorite park! Does anyone have any more info on this? Sketches? Why it didn't get built? Any rumors of it ever being built?
I heard they were originally going to build the River thru the Rhine ride in France.
j/k

I LOVE the Norway ride (Maelstrom) and yes, a Rhine River ride would be just the thing to build up the Germany pavillion. Heck, i go to the Mexican pavillion just to get on a boat and thing moves slower than the People Mover.
-----------------------------------------------

Somebody mentioned a Venezuela pavillion....

When you look at the countries chosen for a pavillion, you almost have to wonder if TWDC chose them based on the state of affairs in the world at that time. I don't think a Venezuela pavillion- even if Hugo Chavez paid for it- would fly.

MainSt1993

I agree with slappy magoo on all points. WS plays to a much different audience than the rest of WDW - one skewed specifically towards adults looking for "culture" and shopping while on vacation.

Don't forget drinking your way around the world! :sohappy: That's how I experienced my first sparkling red, introduced a friend to cold sake, and saw my first bottle of champagne sabored. And seriously, everyone should have a margarita with them when they travel down El Rio del Tiempo.

WhyteAL

OK I haven't posted in a while....:p

But that video you just posted was sweet :) . I had forgotten about the ________ tracy show that was supposed to be in MGM, They should have definetly expanded the parks that way. And I am all for new countries and the revamping of countries to EPCOT...They need it

I noticed WDWMAGIC.com sells t-shirts cool as soon as I get funds I will buy one then iron on my login in the back:wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You want countries? How about Equitorial Africa, United Arab Emirates, The USSR, Costa Rica, and Switzerland?

Attachments

• africa-annual-report-closeu.jpg
    africa-annual-report-closeu.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Arab-courtyard.jpg
    Arab-courtyard.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 91
  • concept01.jpg
    concept01.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 100
  • Imagineering-web.jpg
    Imagineering-web.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 85
  • slide0125.jpg
    slide0125.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 94

WhyteAL

Has anybody thought about maybe forwarding these ideas to some sort of decision makers at disney? Not like they might not know of it but sometimes you get so used to picking out the same clothes from your closet that when you clean out the closet you find clothes you haven't worn in a while that still look new and good? I'm pretty sure as a share holder these ideas can maybe be sent or presented to somebody? I personally don't know of anyone but with new corporate officers who bring in their own staff maybe they just need to be shown what things should have been like or what was supposed to be but never was.

Just wondering? :rolleyes:

By the way Marni thanx for the pix didn't know there was so many

lewisc

Disney sold the pavillions to the countries as a way to promote tourism. Guests seeing the pavillion were supposed to want to see the "real thing".

Many (most?) guests wind up seeing the WS as an alternative to seeing the "real thing".

JML42691

Disney sold the pavillions to the countries as a way to promote tourism. Guests seeing the pavillion were supposed to want to see the "real thing".

Many (most?) guests wind up seeing the WS as an alternative to seeing the "real thing".
Even though they might have sold the pavilion lands, I would think that selling them would be a bad decision. I would guess that they probably signed a leasing contract with the contries promising a pavilion dedicated to the countries for a long time (probably 40 or more years). Selling the land would not be what Disney wanted, as the ability to complete light construction on the pavilion to create a new land would probably not be allowed by the contry to which it was sold. But that is my assumption, I don't know what the actual deal with the countries is/was.

Madison

Even though they might have sold the pavilion lands, I would think that selling them would be a bad decision. I would guess that they probably signed a leasing contract with the contries promising a pavilion dedicated to the countries for a long time (probably 40 or more years). Selling the land would not be what Disney wanted, as the ability to complete light construction on the pavilion to create a new land would probably not be allowed by the contry to which it was sold. But that is my assumption, I don't know what the actual deal with the countries is/was.

Disney didn't literally sell the pavilions to the namesake countries -- they simply convinced them that being represented in the World Showcase was a valuable investment in tourism and asked that such countries contribute some or all of the capital required to build the pavilion.

Pluto_is_my_fav

Original Poster
We have been to WS since I first started the thread last August. Sitting in France for hours people watching while eating a Strawberry crepe reminded us of how great WS can be. There was something that turned me off, however. The merchandise of each of the countries is not necessarily from that country. For example, the Transformer action figures in Japan are from the line made in the United States. The plum "sake" on sale there is basically just Plum wine. The Chinese restaurant serves what Americans consider Chinese food, but not what is actually served in China. These are just a few things. Before expanding, I think that Disney should focus on making what is there now more authentic.

That said, I still think WS on its own now, without any improvements, beats any other park at WDW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Man that video is awesome I wish all that stuff had been build, does dixie landing wasnt built was it and what about disneys boardwalk?
Huh?

Both were built. Dixie Landings became Port Orleans Riverside for some spreadsheet driven marketing reason.

The Boardwalk is there as big as ever.

M:SpilotISTC12

A Germany boat ride would work but I think it would be one boat ride too many at Epcot. Unless god answers my prayers and they get rid of El Rio De Teimpo.

makonyy15

Huh?

Both were built. Dixie Landings became Port Orleans Riverside for some spreadsheet driven marketing reason.

The Boardwalk is there as big as ever.

The video looks like it came out of the late 80's, didn't the Swan and Dolphin open then? I thought the Boardwalk, and Yacht and Beach Club didn't come around til the mid 90's?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom