Epcot / Germany River Ride

makonyy15

In that video i posted(I am also the uploader on Youtube) it says that the dolphin is opening that same month. Not sure when the Dolphin opened but the video would be in the same month.

again
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uHtGPSqt9Sg

Yeah that's where I got the idea. I saw that it said they were opening, but then I saw all those plans for the Y&B and Boardwalk, so I was curious as to when they were actually completed.

Great Video though!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Swan opened to guests late 1989, with its dedication on January 13th 1990. The Dolphin opened soon after, I believe late spring / early summer 1990. If anyone can find exact dates...

The Yacht and Beach both opened November 5th 1990.

The Boardwalk was last, and opened July 1st 1996.

DisneyDragon

Actually, I believe the entrance to the proposed Rhine River attraction can be found in the Germany pavillion - just looks like a facade now (Martin can probably confirm this with a pic, right bud?).

I do know that the Canadian government didn't pony up for the Canada pavillion because Disney was insisting on using too many stereotypes in the pavillions - lumberjacks, Mounties, etc. They were involved in the film, but turns out they did have some issues with the final editing - voiceovers and the like. And the song - it's not bad, until you hear the 'French' singer. She mangles the language and isn't even that good of a singer. My own French is passable at best, and I could tell, she s--ked...

I am really hoping that the new movie for Canada shows a marked improvement over the last one - it was okay - but the many stereotypes were too much...

Suggested and cost-effective improvements (for now):
- A Tim Horton's at the Canada pavillion (will need a FastPass for this one!)
- Real chinese food in the China pavillion or at least one restaurant that's authentic (Dim Sum for breakfast / lunch, for example). I would LOVE BBQ Pork Bun and Tea for breakfast

makonyy15

The Swan opened to guests late 1989, with its dedication on January 13th 1990. The Dolphin opened soon after, I believe late spring / early summer 1990. If anyone can find exact dates...

The Yacht and Beach both opened November 5th 1990.

The Boardwalk was last, and opened July 1st 1996.

Interesting. I never knew the Yacht and Beach club opened that early. Thanks!:wave:

lewisc

Disney "sold the concept of pavilion sponsorship". I'm not suggesting Disney literally sold or even leased land. AFAIK companies/countries pay a sponsorship fee which covers all or some of the expenses.

My point is there is very little evidence that the WS pavilions contributes to tourism.

Even though they might have sold the pavilion lands, I would think that selling them would be a bad decision. I would guess that they probably signed a leasing contract with the contries promising a pavilion dedicated to the countries for a long time (probably 40 or more years). Selling the land would not be what Disney wanted, as the ability to complete light construction on the pavilion to create a new land would probably not be allowed by the contry to which it was sold. But that is my assumption, I don't know what the actual deal with the countries is/was.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Actually, I believe the entrance to the proposed Rhine River attraction can be found in the Germany pavillion - just looks like a facade now (Martin can probably confirm this with a pic, right bud?).
Funnily enough....no! I actually have in shippment right now a load of footage specifically of the Showcase pavilions and their never-completed / never started parts. Until it comes, just generic pics off the web.

For the record, the entrance was apparently built, although I doubt it`s still in its 1982 form (and if so the queue area would be a waste of space) - looking at the pavilion front, on the right were 2 large wooden doors that were closed and locked. That was the intended entrance.

Unplugged

The Chinese restaurant serves what Americans consider Chinese food, but not what is actually served in China. These are just a few things. Before expanding, I think that Disney should focus on making what is there now more authentic.

If you've ever watch the Travel Channel special about the DisneySea park in Tokyo, you'll learn that this problem is world wide based on the majority of guests as opposed to Disney taking short cuts. The program interviews numerous CMs that indicate they had to do a lot of studies regarding the Japanese cuisine in order to adapt foods to their liking.

For example, imaging ordering BBQ and getting rice on the side. Very odd here in the US and wouldn't go over well at the Hoop-Tee-Doo, but rice is a staple of Japanese meals. Also, their portions are much smaller. Thus, ordering BBQ there for an "American" meal is not the same as ording BBQ in America. This is the case with a lot of Americans eating food from other countries.

I love geniune foods from around the world. I have friends that claim the same. However, when I visit a local Japanese restaraunt, I have one acquantence who's wife "loves Japanese" and always orders the cheeseburger.:hammer:

Go figure..... (it would be nice to have more authenticity, but Disney's own research proved it just wouldn't appeal to the masses in any country).

goofyfan13

Huh?

Both were built. Dixie Landings became Port Orleans Riverside for some spreadsheet driven marketing reason.

The Boardwalk is there as big as ever.

I refuse to call it Riverside. :lol: I even had someone at WDW-DINE call me an old timer because I said Dixie Landings just over a year ago when she asked what resort I'm staying at. :lol:

TarzanRocked99-

For the record, the entrance was apparently built, although I doubt it`s still in its 1982 form (and if so the queue area would be a waste of space) - looking at the pavilion front, on the right were 2 large wooden doors that were closed and locked. That was the intended entrance.

The Doors were covered over by a painted facade of a German Landscape, it is across from the quick service food and bev location in the back of the pavillion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I refuse to call it Riverside
Me too.

Along with the WEDWay, Disney MGM, The Seas with Nemo....

Tarzan Rocked - thanks. Were these the exit doors? The entry doors show as being on the front west side of the pavilion. BTW; nice name. Did you? :wave:

TarzanRocked99-

Check the picture below, (I hope it shows up, I have never placed pics on here) anyway look through the arch on the right side of the pic and you will see the painted facade. The Doors I hear for both entry and exit are still behind there.

1137639536.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Bingo. That`s it. So, it`s been covered over. I`ll hunt for some older pics of the same area and see if the doors show. I may be some time; I`m finally *trying* to organise my image collection. All 3.2gb of it....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Guess who had some free time on their hands.... sad old git!

Here you go... I present.... Germany. Or it would be if these May 1981 designs were finished. First is today. Next is the completed building. Last is a cutaway of the ride path. Now... who`s for Italy?? :D

Attachments

• German pavilion Rhine River not completed.jpg
    German pavilion Rhine River not completed.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 852
  • German pavilion Rhine River complete roofed.jpg
    German pavilion Rhine River complete roofed.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 888
  • German pavilion Rhine River complete composite copy.jpg
    German pavilion Rhine River complete composite copy.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 648

sbkline

I do know that the Canadian government didn't pony up for the Canada pavillion because Disney was insisting on using too many stereotypes in the pavillions - lumberjacks, Mounties, etc. They were involved in the film, but turns out they did have some issues with the final editing - voiceovers and the like. And the song - it's not bad, until you hear the 'French' singer. She mangles the language and isn't even that good of a singer. My own French is passable at best, and I could tell, she s--ked...

I am really hoping that the new movie for Canada shows a marked improvement over the last one - it was okay - but the many stereotypes were too much...

I don't understand this hubbub about "stereotypes". :confused: It's the world showcase, and the whole idea is to give a sampling of various countries and their cultures. So, basically, the place is full of stereotypes and there's not a darn thing wrong with that. In order to sample Mexican culture, for example, there has to be the sombrero's, the evening market scene, etc. In Norway, you will see Trolls, viking ships, etc. In Germany, you will see references to Hansel and Gretel, pickles on the Christmas tree, etc. And yes, in Canada, you will see....or at least SHOULD see....Mounties, lumberjacks, etc. In each of these countries, the aforementioned things are things which are characteristic of their respective cultures. So I wish that our current society, in this culture of political correctness would get over this mamby pamby boohooing about friggin' stereotypes. If that's gonna be everyone's attitude, then we may as well just get rid of WS entirely, because the whole freakin' place is full of them. And rightly so. You can't show a sampling of a culture without having some kind of "stereotype" in mind of what is characteristic of that culture so that you can present it to your audience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom