1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Epcot Canceling Segway Tours?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by RandomPrincess, Feb 14, 2013.

1. RandomPrincess

RandomPrincess Premium Member

I tried searching but didn't see any info on this.

I bunch of posters on other Disney forums are saying they have received calls from Disney cancelling their upcoming Epcot Segway Tours and giving refunds. Anyone know why?

2. Dasnowz

Dasnowz Well-Known Member

its currently be evaluated and may or may not return. the pages mentioning it on all Disney sites have been pulled.no new reservations can be made and many are being cancelled. someone knows but no one I know has any more info than that. anything else i am hearing is speculation.

3. bsiev1977

bsiev1977 Well-Known Member

I'm interested to hear the story behind this decision, if it is true.
    Just my speculation, I'm guessing it would purely be a liability issue. Either one too many accidents, or one too many people acting the fool while on the tour. Very likely a few clowns ruined this tour for everyone else.

Genie of the Lamp likes this.
  4. steve2wdw

steve2wdw WDW Fan Since 1973 Premium Member

I have a Segway tour scheduled for Tuesday, March 12, and haven't received a cancelation call yet.

5. disnyfan89

disnyfan89 Well-Known Member

It may actually have to do with operation of the tour and not a liability issue. The tour is run by both Inoventions and Guest Relations cast members. Guest Relations hosts the tour but it is the Inoventions cast members who teach the guest how to ride the segway. At one point Guest Relations was looking to take ownership of the whole tour but the union wasn't giving it up. However Inoventions stopped training guides for the tour as they wanted to limit the amount of speilers they had on staff. It's also possible innoventions may not be interested in the tour anymore or a sponsor wants to buy the space segway central (where they store all the segways and do the training) sits in.

6. Endor Sightseer

Endor Sightseer Well-Known Member

One thing I never got about this whole Segway tour thing. Why not just walk?

janoimagine and PirateTink53 like this.
  7. lego606

lego606 MagicBandit

Because magical!

ASJHLJ, spiritofNorway and lilclerk like this.
  8. articos

articos Well-Known Member

...10 years ago.

lego606 likes this.
  9. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Well-Known Member

They were selling quite a few at Property Control for around $500.

PhotoDave219 likes this.
  10. Tigger1988

Tigger1988 Well-Known Member

About time, Segways never caught on the way they were intended to and honestly in 2013 the novelty has long worn off.

11. WED99

WED99 Well-Known Member

I know why they aren't getting enough bookings, because they put a 16 year old age limit on the **** things!

I still love Segways, they'll pick up. Give it a few years!

12. Sandurz

Sandurz Member

$100 bucks a person in a 10 person group doesn't cover one instructor and one guide for 2 and a half hours?

Even if they were both making $30 an hour, I don't see how $800 left over three times a day would not be enough to maintain the Segway fleet and pay for any insurance. Must be something other than money.

It's a shame too, because I thought it was pretty dern fun tour.

Furiated likes this.
  13. Turtlekrawl

Turtlekrawl New Member

Because it is fun (for some at least). I don't see the practical value in segways, but they are cool to try out at least once. We had an awesome time on our WS tour. Too bad if they can't keep that one going

COProgressFan, Ariel484 and JillC LI like this.
  14. asianway

asianway Well-Known Member

With WDW it's not whether it makes money, it's whether it makes enough money

15. tiggerzgirl83

tiggerzgirl83 Member

I just called Disney about this tour because my fiancé and I were really looking forward to it on our honeymoon this October and I noticed it wasn't showing online anymore. So I called and they said they no longer have it. So disappointed :(

neoshinok likes this.
  16. Skippy's Pal

Skippy's Pal Well-Known Member

There was also a weight limit for Segways. I wonder if too many guests had to be turned down, given our "American expansion" these days, resulting in an unacceptable proportion of ruffled feathers.

ChrisFL and Endor Sightseer like this.
  17. juniorthomas

juniorthomas Well-Known Member

Were the tours very popular? Just wondering - I haven't heard that they were in very high demand

18. Endor Sightseer

Endor Sightseer Well-Known Member

I can't help but think of all the fat people in Wall-E riding those pod things.

19. jmb2676

jmb2676 Active Member

That's too bad if they did cancel them. We did the tour in October and it was a lot of fun. The day that we went, we were told by our Guest Relations person that all of the tours were sold out for the next week or so and they have been near sold out for a while before that.

20. Killnme

Killnme Well-Known Member

That stinks I have always wanted to do that. I guess I will just have to have a beer at the Rose and Crown in their honor.