Entrance Permits

mm121

the way i see it, there is a much easier way to do this. have security at TTC before getting on monorails and boats. have security before all boats and monorails at the resorts (Poly, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, fort wilderness and GF). lastly, have security set up before getting on monorail at EPCOT. with all this, all they need security checkpoints set up at the MK plaza would be for guests arriving via bus and walking path from Contemporary. all other access via the boats and monorails would already be screened therefore simplifying your map ten fold. obviously this would mean devices and more security personnel at a bunch of locations, but it would already be needing all of the devices and security guards. it would just be spread out a bit.

that sounds like an inefficient staffing nightmare.

that means paying employees to stand around on monorail platforms and boat docks that at certain times of the day have little traffic flow

version 2.0 is much better than the original allowing the park monorail, ferry boat, and ttc-mk buses to be screened at a re designed TTC, which would drastically cut down on the need for security up by the gates of MK, but still keep security somewhat centralized for staffing efficiency.

each checkpoint if spread out would require a minimum of like 4 workers at all times all day long, which adds up fast

not to mention even more staff and equipment if someday its deemed necessary to install bag scanning equipment

and screening at the hotels on the monorail means screening guests for hotel to hotel movements

Siren

I never really thought about this, but the monorail really should have extra security. Imagine the horror should something bad happen, God forbid.
Awww, don't think like that. Disney's security is really really good. I have to assume that Disney World is just crawling with cameras. Plus, there are always employees everywhere, who are trained to notice odd behavior. And, Disney security is all around us in plain clothes and I am sure they disguise themselves as CM's, too.

that sounds like an inefficient staffing nightmare.

that means paying employees to stand around on monorail platforms and boat docks that at certain times of the day have little traffic flow

version 2.0 is much better than the original allowing the park monorail, ferry boat, and ttc-mk buses to be screened at a re designed TTC, which would drastically cut down on the need for security up by the gates of MK, but still keep security somewhat centralized for staffing efficiency.

each checkpoint if spread out would require a minimum of like 4 workers at all times all day long, which adds up fast

not to mention even more staff and equipment if someday its deemed necessary to install bag scanning equipment

and screening at the hotels on the monorail means screening guests for hotel to hotel movements
I like the idea of security at the TTC but that shouldn't decrease the need for security at MK -- maybe the people who were screened at the TTC can bypass the MK security screening but that is unlikely and very risky. It's not a big deal for people to be screened twice.

JWG

I like the idea of security at the TTC but that shouldn't decrease the need for security at MK -- maybe the people who were screened at the TTC can bypass the MK security screening but that is unlikely and very risky. It's not a big deal for people to be screened twice.

What would the point of screening at TTC to do so again at MK be? That seems inefficient and like an unnecessary cost to Disney.

Goofyernmost

What would the point of screening at TTC to do so again at MK be? That seems inefficient and like an unnecessary cost to Disney.
You have to go with the odds of where something will happen. If you just randomly think that anything, including the parking lot, is a target, then you will have security checks ever 10 feet. I hope I never get that paranoid. The main attractions would be the parks proper. That is where the most people are and where the largest impact would be felt.

DManRightHere

I don't think spreading out checkpoints would be best for the conpany..

I could see major checkpoints on both sides (monorail side, and bus side) divert incoming resort boats to one of those checkpoints, and have security check for boarding the ferry at ttc. The center at mk could be secured and ferry folks can proceed straight through.

Siren

Wanna bet? "But. but, you just checked me back there!! Do I look like a terrorist to you"?
Hi @EOD K9! LOL. Yeah, I guess you're right. But, there is this new thread about a tramway project currently underway at WDW that will add security checkpoints at the TTC, it's supposed to work like Disneyland's, where the guests only go through the checkpoint once. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tramway-project-at-ttc.919624/

But, like you said -- that's totally impossible at WDW -- the TTC people would have to be checked twice.

Hi @JWG! I totally agree, it is costly and inefficient but much safer. Technically, people should be screened before riding the monorail and ferries, just like airplanes. I just don't know how Disney can make this work, other than to forgo security checkpoints altogether at the TTC and that's too bad.

roj2323

Hi @EOD K9! LOL. Yeah, I guess you're right. But, there is this new thread about a tramway project currently underway at WDW that will add security checkpoints at the TTC, it's supposed to work like Disneyland's, where the guests only go through the checkpoint once. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tramway-project-at-ttc.919624/

But, like you said -- that's totally impossible at WDW -- the TTC people would have to be checked twice.

Hi @JWG! I totally agree, it is costly and inefficient but much safer. Technically, people should be screened before riding the monorail and ferries, just like airplanes. I just don't know how Disney can make this work, other than to forgo security checkpoints altogether at the TTC and that's too bad.

The tramway project has nothing to do with security upgrades. That project has more to do with tram drivers who keep hitting them most likely.

Creathir

Is it impossible?
If all monorail and TTC ferry passengers were screened at TTC and the resorts, couldn't they errect fencing/push the MK screening out so only bus/walk up traffic was screened at the MK gate?

mikenatcity1

I am intrigued what they will do with security at the entrance. I just came back from DLR- while the security lines took a little bit of time (they usually had 4 on each entrance that split to 8 metal detectors), it drastically reduced the amount of time waiting at the gates (except park opening). Even when it was "busy" in the park, there were no lines at the gates (even when there were only 4 turnstiles open)

EOD K9

I'm just curious how they would handle the resort monorail. As another poster stated, one car is only for screened guests and opens under the watchful eye of a CM. The other cars remain unsecured for resort hopping.

Unplugged

Screening the monorail at Poly & GF would be easy as they have a nice wide walkway up to the monorail. Contemporary would almost require screening prior to going up to the monorail and would still be tight. Either way, there would be 1 solution across the board; either resort is secure, or resort is not secure. No mixing of cars as that undermines the purpose, complicates the process, and the station design.

IMHO, if the entire monorail system was secured, it wouldn't be that big of a deal and would speed access over all. The majority of monorail riders are park goers and not resort hoppers.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

All opinion - I think we are going to have to let DISNEY decide what their "secure zone" is. That is really the first step, and what airports do.

Right now? WDW has a lot of property EXTERIOR to "secure zones". Is this what they want? I have no idea. Somewhere between preventing a terrorist scuba team invading the MK, and "reasonable" screening is probably the right answer.

What WDW SHOULD do in this effort is to avoid the creation of large waiting areas in one place. That is pretty much a synonym for "target". In fairness - the AIRPORTS have failed to figure this one out.

Again - all personal opinion... I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

BernardandBianca

The main attractions would be the parks proper. That is where the most people are and where the largest impact would be felt.

You need to think like a terrorist. The people at the parks are too distributed for maximum effect. Setting off a bomb at one location probably won't involve too many people. On the other hand, setting one off on the ferry while it is carrying early morning crowds could have a devastating effect. Not that I'm advocating such an event, but you need to revise your outlook.

Siren

The tramway project has nothing to do with security upgrades. That project has more to do with tram drivers who keep hitting them most likely.
Hi @roj2323! Ouch. I hope no one got hurt though. And, thank you for clarifying that.

Is it impossible?
If all monorail and TTC ferry passengers were screened at TTC and the resorts, couldn't they errect fencing/push the MK screening out so only bus/walk up traffic was screened at the MK gate?
Hi @creathir! This is a great idea but what kind of fences? People will do anything to climb over and go around the fencing. Also, how would it look? Again, it could work but CM's will have to constantly guard the fence from the bus and boat people.

I am intrigued what they will do with security at the entrance. I just came back from DLR- while the security lines took a little bit of time (they usually had 4 on each entrance that split to 8 metal detectors), it drastically reduced the amount of time waiting at the gates (except park opening). Even when it was "busy" in the park, there were no lines at the gates (even when there were only 4 turnstiles open)
Hi @mikenatcity1! Thank you for sharing your security experience at Disneyland. I'm glad you had a positive experience there. I hope that Disney can bring this to WDW very soon.

DisneyCane

You need to think like a terrorist. The people at the parks are too distributed for maximum effect. Setting off a bomb at one location probably won't involve too many people. On the other hand, setting one off on the ferry while it is carrying early morning crowds could have a devastating effect. Not that I'm advocating such an event, but you need to revise your outlook.

Agree about the ferry issue but have you seen the hub in MK for wishes? I don't typically think like a terrorist but I can only assume that Disney is working with security experts as they continue to make WDW a harder target to hit. Thankfully, at the moment, the domestic attacks are being perpetrated by "one off" terrorists that are more likely to try to attack soft targets.

mikenatcity1

Hi @roj2323! Ouch. I hope no one got hurt though. And, thank you for clarifying that.

Hi @creathir! This is a great idea but what kind of fences? People will do anything to climb over and go around the fencing. Also, how would it look? Again, it could work but CM's will have to constantly guard the fence from the bus and boat people.

Hi @mikenatcity1! Thank you for sharing your security experience at Disneyland. I'm glad you had a positive experience there. I hope that Disney can bring this to WDW very soon.

You're welcome! I take it that security is not the greatest at WDW? I'm checking because i'm heading there in a couple months for the first time in a couple years.

Clamman73

You're welcome! I take it that security is not the greatest at WDW? I'm checking because i'm heading there in a couple months for the first time in a couple years.
It's an obvious increase compared to the same time last year from what I'm observing. I'm on my own or sometimes with family members, but when only alone I've been getting picked to go through the metal detector.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom