Entrance Permits

OvertheHorizon

That is a really cool idea! Too bad Disney would never do anything like this. I would be one of the first in line! :(
Thanks.I'd be in that same line with you. After thinking about it more, maybe IMAGINEER'S WORKSHOP would be a better name for the pavilion I suggested, since it would keep alive decades worth of imagineer's work.

Rob562

Yes, but you could buy the images up until 2007 which means any image purchased in 2007 has to remain on display somewhere until 2027.

LOL, I shouldn't have posted when I was falling asleep...

In trying to respond to the "didn't realize they were sold into 2000's" I either meant to say "They weren't installed until 1999" or "They were installed in 1999".
Somehow my brain ran those two statements that say the same thing into a single statement that doesn't. ;-)

-Rob

EOD K9

I thought this was interesting enough to warrant a thread. There were three permits filed today for work on the main entrances of Epcot and Animal Kingdom, and Epcot's International Gateway. The contractor is Barton Mallow who does some big projects for Disney. Currently they are doing Pizza Rizzo, but they were also one of the two main contractors on the Fantasyland Expansion. The expiration dates are all July 28th, 2017. If I had to guess I would say this is security related.

Epcot
View attachment 160097

Animal Kingdom
View attachment 160098

Epcot International Gateway

View attachment 160099
The picture of the oval where it says "International Gateway", is that what was the old tram oval and next to it the Duffy Souvenir Shop? I'm trying to get my bearings on where exactly I am looking.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I think they are moving security checkpoints further out. In the hopes of minimizing "soft targets". As it stands right now the monorail and ferry boats are soft targets because they are before security. By moving security checkpoints to the TTC and resort stations you minimize the soft target. If my thinking is right security will move from its current location at MK to the resort monorail, and TTC the monorail and ferry will screen before loading at these locations and you will just go to park entrance when you arrive. Bus guests will be screened at a new location by the bus dropoff. I think epcot security could be modified as well so that to board the monorail you will have to go threw secuity. Not sure what or how AK and HS will be affected, but as others have said I think we will get more and permeate medal detectors. This is just my 2 cents. I know I read something simular to what i am outlining here elsewhere, so if I am stealing someone's thoughts sorry and let me know so I can give credit.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Would, in a lot of ways, be nice to have the monorail all within the "secure" area so that you could hop between EPCOT and MK via the monorail and not have to go back through security. Then again, if you wanted to resort hop around the monorail resorts, would that mean you'd need to go through security just to go between the Poly and the Contemporary?

Rob562

I think they are moving security checkpoints further out. In the hopes of minimizing "soft targets". As it stands right now the monorail and ferry boats are soft targets because they are before security. By moving security checkpoints to the TTC and resort stations you minimize the soft target. If my thinking is right security will move from its current location at MK to the resort monorail, and TTC the monorail and ferry will screen before loading at these locations and you will just go to park entrance when you arrive. Bus guests will be screened at a new location by the bus dropoff. I think epcot security could be modified as well so that to board the monorail you will have to go threw secuity. Not sure what or how AK and HS will be affected, but as others have said I think we will get more and permeate medal detectors. This is just my 2 cents. I know I read something simular to what i am outlining here elsewhere, so if I am stealing someone's thoughts sorry and let me know so I can give credit.

Sounds plausible. It would definitely require rethinking overall Guest flow to keep pre-screened Guests within the "secure" area after arriving from a pre-screened area, while keeping unscreened Guests heading toward new screening stations.

-Rob

MrHappy

Ex

Nicely done @zakattack99. I'm all for this concept - imagine just getting to MK and scanning your band and walking in. The lines at the "satellite" MK checkpoints would be smaller than one main congested one (hopefully) resulting in a more enjoyable guest experience as well.

JLipnick

Sounds plausible. It would definitely require rethinking overall Guest flow to keep pre-screened Guests within the "secure" area after arriving from a pre-screened area, while keeping unscreened Guests heading toward new screening stations.

-Rob
this is one of the only things I think Universal does better than Disney. going from any of the on-site resorts or from the parking garages requires you to go through security before even getting to the complex. obviously WDW is way to big to do the same and there are too many entry points but for MK, this makes a lot of sense. staying at Polynesian for example, we would just go through security before hitting the monorail and once we get off the monorail and to the entrance of MK, we just go right on in. If they could allow the same when heading to EPCOT from the TTC monorail would save a ton of time when going to two of the four parks. i am now rather excited about this.

Rob562

The only hitch I can see is how do you get pre-screened people coming over on the ferry from the TTC and keep them in a "secure" traffic flow, while unscreened peopke would be getting off the water launches and busses in the same area.

Unless TTC screening is for monorails only. Ferry stays unscreened until the MK.

-Rob

Last edited:

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
The only hitch I can see is how do you get pre-screened people coming over on the ferry from the TTC and keep them in a "secure" traffic flow, while unscreened peopke would be getting off the water launches and busses in the same area.

Unless TTC screening is for monorails only. Ferry stays unscreened until the MK.

-Rob

If my thoughts are correct they would movie security to screen bus and foot traffic from contemporary down closer to the buses. Allowing monorail and the Ferry to be pre-screened at TTC, I have not figured out how they would screen launches from the resorts. If they are doing what I am thinking.

However I had not considered your thought of just screening the monorail, and that could be a possibility. To me if this is about security it makes little sense to "secure" the monorail while leaving the ferry open.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

All personal opinion .... I believe WDW is struggling with all of this.... They really don't have a good US working model, and may have to look at foreign models that DO work. Key element? disperse security. Concentrated security IS a target. Do not back up crowds in any concentrated target location.

Again, all personal opinion..... I'm not right, no one else is wrong.

mm121

-Rob
this is a rough plan i made awhile back for another thread, showing how traffic flows could be seperated at the main gate regarding screen and unscreened guests

this plan would cordinate with adding a major security station at the ttc for ferry and monorail guests so the only guests that would need to be screened at the front gate would be the resort monorail, the buses and the small boats

does anyone know if people from disney look at these boards or know ways to submit ideas for things to disney? i see lots of great ideas on these boards sometimes then we see what disney does and it ends up being crappy sometimes
Magic Kingdom Security.jpg

JWG

Here's what I know. Security at Universal works better. In an effort to keep it away from the masses at the park entrance, make the experience for hotel guests better, and protect City Walk, security is at a variety of places:
- Each hotels boat launch
- The walkway at each location that hotel foot traffic dumps into City Walk/Park area
- The garages and drop off area prior to taking the long walkway to City Walk

It was phenomenal for us staying at the Hard Rock. Never had more than a group of 3 ahead of us at our little security check point and could easily navigate all 3 areas of the parks/City Walk freely. If they're trying to get to something similar here that'd be awesome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom