News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Timothy_Q

Development on this ride started well before Encanto was suggested as a property going to BBTM. It’s unclear how long after D23 2022 Disney shifted to the Tropical Americas concept for Dinoland, but it’s safe to say that WDI was deep into development of the Encanto ride.

So the question is, to what extend were they willing to go back and change things about the ride to better fit the themes of DAK? Small things like the dialog are simple to change. If this ride does in fact use the LPS ride system as rumored, it would be relatively easy to make tweaks to the ride path. But I doubt they would want to reconfigure the entire layout of the show building, for example, to support a total rewrite of the story.
If nothing else they can at least scatter a few more animals around

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If nothing else they can at least scatter a few more animals around
monty cow.gif

celluloid

If there ends of being a Coco carousel I imagine it’ll be themed to the alebrijes then with Indy likely being some story around a mythic/legendary animal the Tropical Americas may end up kind of being the spiritual successor to Beastly Kingdom…

Yikes. What a whimper of a spiritual successor considering the bigger ticket is likely an opening day attraction rethemed and the park is only Net 3 rides since it opened nearly 20 years ago.

MerlinTheGoat

OG concept AK buffs would be thrilled with the direction Tropical Americas is taking.
If Beastly Kingdom had never been a thing and Disney decided to build a medieval european land at DAK today people would complain SO MUCH that it doesn't fit the park
If this had been an actual new land instead of a reformat of an existing one that had a much better and more fitting foundation, I don't think you'd have seen quite as much flack against it. Dinoland still remains much more clear and true to the park's intent though, fixable flaws aside.

But I'd argue that Beastly Kingdom was much more clear with its message of representing "fictional animals" than Encanto, Coco or Indiana Jones will be. Even if they do add a few scattered real South American animal exhibits to try and offset these poor fitting intrusions.

KDM31091

It is sad that they simply want to shove IP wherever and grasp at straws to try and make it fit/ make sense. Unfortunately they just don’t seem to care about the storytelling anymore or making things make sense. They will phone it in and make an attempt, but there’s really not much about encanto or coco that makes sense for the park.

It’s similar to the renaming of the studio park at DLP to Disney Adventure World. Make it as generic as possible so they can shove whatever they want in.

James Alucobond

If this had been an actual new land instead of a reformat of an existing one that had a much better and more fitting foundation, I don't think you'd have seen quite as much flack against it. Dinoland still remains much more clear and true to the park's intent though, fixable flaws aside.
I don’t see what’s wrong with the foundation for the new land or what makes Dinoland “more true” to the park’s intent. Tropical Americas fits in very well with Asia and Africa assuming they stick to the existing village format. The execution of the attractions is what will ultimately tell us if it works as well, but it’s also worth keeping in mind that for the majority of visitors, there was only one ride in this area before that wasn’t utter garbage.

MouseEarsMom33

I am actually surprised at all the complaints that I have been seeing about Dinoland going away. It's one of the emptier parts of the park. The theming of it just seems off with the rest of the lands in AK. I feel like Tropical Americas fits in much better with Asia, Africa, and Pandora than a carnival-themed area about Dinosaurs. Dinoland feels like it should have been at Hollywood Studios instead. Whenever I am in Dinoland, I feel like I am at a regular theme park and not a Disney park. Seeing what Disney is doing with Tiana's Bayou Adventure and all the critters, I would be really surprised it there are not animal references or actual animals within Tropical Americas.

MerlinTheGoat

I don’t see what’s wrong with the foundation for the new land or what makes Dinoland “more true” to the park’s intent. Tropical Americas fits in very well with Asia and Africa assuming they stick to the existing village format. The execution of the attractions is what will ultimately tell us if it works as well, but it’s also worth keeping in mind that for the majority of visitors, there was only one ride in this area before that wasn’t utter garbage.
Tropical Americas isn't the problem. The attractions are what I was referring to.

doctornick

If Beastly Kingdom had never been a thing and Disney decided to build a medieval european land at DAK today people would complain SO MUCH that it doesn't fit the park
I was think it the other day in that one of the supposed attractions for Beastly Kingdomme was based on Fantasia and you could say the exact same things about that which many people note with the IPs being suggest - not really about “real” animals or nature, just using an IP to tie in without regards to the park’s mission statement, no elements of conservation, animals are human surrogates as opposed to behaving like animals, etc.

I’m sure the land would have been good if it were built but probably wouldn’t meet the standards some impose on the park now

Incomudro

It is sad that they simply want to shove IP wherever and grasp at straws to try and make it fit/ make sense. Unfortunately they just don’t seem to care about the storytelling anymore or making things make sense. They will phone it in and make an attempt, but there’s really not much about encanto or coco that makes sense for the park.

It’s similar to the renaming of the studio park at DLP to Disney Adventure World. Make it as generic as possible so they can shove whatever they want in.
They're hammering square pegs into round holes while exclaiming "It fits!"

celluloid

We have reached the point where things being primarily rethemed vs increase in attraction expansion is evident.
Particularly when it is get again only happening if there is a super decent film or streaming project connection.

MoonRakerSCM

I'm out of the loop and can't read 180 pages of thread. What is the current concept or thought on a Coco ride? If it's some sort of trackless jaunt (Disney loves doing these...) through the family house focusing on the animal speaking cousin's room, I say go for it. Having the house sitting in the park with a Disney version of the Cano Cristales winding around it wouldn't be out of place considering Avatarland etc.

What's the current rumor/word on Disney actually adding in another animal trek for this area of the park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom