News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

lazyboy97o

Just going by the recent history, the attraction being newly built at AK will most likely be Imagineered to be used at multiple parks. I'd fully expect it show up at DL or the DL Forward plans as well..
Galaxy’s Edge was the big recent experiment in designing for two places at once. Nothing else has been intended to be used in multiple places. Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway has a different configuration. TRON and Ratatouille were just dropped down someplace they could physically fit, but that was not intended. It doesn’t really happen all that often.

JustInTime

Galaxy’s Edge was the big experiment in designing for two places at once. Nothing else has been intended to be used in multiple places. Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway has a different configuration. TRON and Ratatouille were just dropped down someplace they could physically fit, but that was not intended. It doesn’t really happen all that often.
The company is known for green lighting attractions for two parks at once. There is a long history like with Haunted Mansion and Splash. It’s better to build two of everything at once if it’s coming down the road anyway. Plus R&D costs are split.

PREMiERdrum

Galaxy’s Edge was the big recent experiment in designing for two places at once. Nothing else has been intended to be used in multiple places. Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway has a different configuration. TRON and Ratatouille were just dropped down someplace they could physically fit, but that was not intended. It doesn’t really happen all that often.
Would Mermaid (MK and DCA) apply here?

lazyboy97o

The company is known for green lighting attractions for two parks at once. There is a long history like with Haunted Mansion and Splash. It’s better to build two of everything at once if it’s coming down the road anyway. Plus R&D costs are split.
Splash Mountain was not done at the same time and has two completely different layouts using different ride vehicles. One of the challenges with Tiana’s Bayou Adventure has been that the two rides are very different. The Haunted Mansion is really the only example of show elements being created in duplicates years beforehand.

Would Mermaid (MK and DCA) apply here?
Is going back over a decade recent? And even then, the Magic Kingdom attraction trailed behind the California original so much that a few rounds of reworking was done and incorporated by opening day.

PREMiERdrum

Splash Mountain was not done at the same time and has two completely different layouts using different ride vehicles. One of the challenges with Tiana’s Bayou Adventure has been that the two rides are very different. The Haunted Mansion is really the only example of show elements being created in duplicates years beforehand.

Is going back over a decade recent?
See? Now you've gone and made me feel old.

It's sad that "New Fantasyland" and DCA's overhaul still seem "recent" to me, given the rather sparse investments since.

JustInTime

Is going back over a decade recent? And even then, the Magic Kingdom attraction trailed behind the California original so much that a few rounds of reworking was done and incorporated by opening day.
They built Splash for Japan and MK at the same time. Opening a day apart.

JohnD

So your current opinion is that there won’t very likely be any animal additions with this expansion? I noticed that during Bruce’s intro to a Tropical Americas themed land here carefully used words like “guests will enjoy theming and experiences found in this part of the world.” Nothing about new animal exhibits. If there is no educational value regarding the rainforest and its importance as an ecosystem that will be a complete whiff by Iger and his silly IP all the time mandate.
Due to the positioning of this area of the park, it would put animal exhibits close to parking and up against a water retention area. All the current animal exhibits are north and east of the park where there is room for exhibits and backstage holding areas for them (with the exception of small enclosures in Oasis and around the Tree of Life).

I suppose it could be done with access by CMs via E. Savannah Circle, based on the map.
1710946142609.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It *seems*, going by recent history, that there's been an attempt by Disney to have California and Florida to have the same number of *rides.*

In the one-upmanship between WDW and DLR fans over whose park has the most rides, it's been neck and neck. When one gets a new ride, so does the other.

Coincidence or intentional?

And if it is intentional, if Disneyland Forward drops 10 new rides in Anaheim, will there be 10 new rides in WDW?

DisneyNittany

Seems like they could have still had their IP cake, while making a few concessions, that would have (IMO) been a better use:
  • Repurpose the train/railway as a unique means of transportation between AKL and DAK
  • Extend Kali to be a longer attraction that is less about getting wet and more serves as Asia's version of the Safari
  • Make area north of Asia the Tropical Americas
    • Indy is axed and goes to DHS
  • Repurpose Dinoland as Oceania to tie-in Nemo show

JohnD

Seems like they could have still had their IP cake, while making a few concessions, that would have (IMO) been a better use:
  • Repurpose the train/railway as a unique means of transportation between AKL and DAK
  • Extend Kali to be a longer attraction that is less about getting wet and more serves as Asia's version of the Safari
  • Make area north of Asia the Tropical Americas
    • Indy is axed and goes to DHS
  • Repurpose Dinoland as Oceania to tie-in Nemo show
While I like your "blue sky" thinking, most of the ideas aren't practical or have already been decided:
  • Repurpose the train/railway as a unique means of transportation between AKL and DAK That's on the northeast side of the park. Are you saying scrap Rafiki's altogether and moving the tracks to the southwest side where AKL is?
  • Extend Kali to be a longer attraction that is less about getting wet and more serves as Asia's version of the Safari Okay. Most are on board with this as there is general agreement that Kali is too short.
  • Make area north of Asia the Tropical Americas Too late for this. Dinoland is already being replaced.
    • Indy is axed and goes to DHS There's already a huge Indy show there. One it's a "people eater" that puts multiple guests in one place daily. Two. Where would you put it?
  • Repurpose Dinoland as Oceania to tie-in Nemo show Nemo already fits as being between Asia and tropical Americas, literally in the park and on the globe. It doesn't necessarily have to be in Asia or Tropical Americas.

discos

Due to the positioning of this area of the park, it would put animal exhibits close to parking and up against a water retention area. All the current animal exhibits are north and east of the park where there is room for exhibits and backstage holding areas for them (with the exception of small enclosures in Oasis and around the Tree of Life).

I suppose it could be done with access by CMs via E. Savannah Circle, based on the map.
View attachment 773948
There are currently animal exhibits in Dinoland, albeit small, so they could definitely make something work. Tropical Americas could house some great animal exhibits, especially if Encanto is the anchor. Does anyone else think that if Encanto does get the green light, Nemo will be changed to a new show that coincides with the whole area?

JohnD

There are currently animal exhibits in Dinoland, albeit small, so they could definitely make something work. Tropical Americas could house some great animal exhibits, especially if Encanto is the anchor. Does anyone else think that if Encanto does get the green light, Nemo will be changed to a new show that coincides with the whole area?
They just recently changed up the Nemo show from the original 45 minute longer Nemo story to a shortened 30 minute recap. I think it fits fine being between Asia and Tropical Americas as a transition between the two areas.

Incomudro

Disney Fans: We want new attractions at WDW we’ve been waiting for too long
Disney: *starts plans for Tropical Americas land*
Disney Fans: NO YOU’RE DOING IT ALL WRONG NOBODY WANTS THIS
T
"Tropical America's Land?"
Yeah, that's not what I see going on here.
And at the expense of losing dinosaurs in the park.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If they get ride of The Boneyard, TriceraTop Spin & Dinosaurs, in addition to Primeval Whirl already gone, then the Tropical Americas land will not be adding any capacity, but taking it away with current rumors (4 for Dinoland, 3 for Tropical Americas). Of course the attraction lineup is not announced for Tropical Americas, but I'm hoping a version of The Boneyard does remain in some form
That’s my fear. They are going to basically end up with the same number of “attractions” as they did once before. They don’t seem to get we need to ADD more people eater things as well

JD80

I don't know the answer to this. What was the theoretical capacity of Dinoland USA? What was the actual? Did actual capacity match or come close to theoretical? Even if the theoretical capacity was downgraded to "max realistic" capacity was that capacity fully realized on a daily basis?

My point is this - if they added all new rides that matched capacity of what was there before but instead of poor attractions they were attractions that actually drove attendance like Pandora/Rise/Remy/Tron/GotG would the capacity of the park INCREASE just because the actual max capacity was being utilized?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom