News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Touchdown

I certainly want disabled guests be able to enjoy the parks and skip the lines. There is no question in my mind that on principle, a DAS system is inclusive and makes WDW a welcoming place for all and those are less fortunate than others.

I do think the honor system just simply isn't cutting it. They have make the criteria more challenging for guests to obtain it.

@MagicHappens1971 - what do you propose?
This^

I would maybe make DAS lounges, with seats, refreshments, a tv and bathrooms that would be required waiting rooms for anyone who has checked into a DAS line to wait, and make staying in the room required in order to use your pass. It would be less disruptive than tapping in for everyone.

RSoxNo1

I certainly want disabled guests be able to enjoy the parks and skip the lines. There is no question in my mind that on principle, a DAS system is inclusive and makes WDW a welcoming place for all and those are less fortunate than others.

I do think the honor system just simply isn't cutting it. They have make the criteria more challenging for guests to obtain it.

@MagicHappens1971 - what do you propose?
I haven't used Universal's system yet, but it does seem that having a 3rd party verification that requires some semblance of documentation is a good start.

I have an autistic older brother and we will likely be using Universal's new system this year. That being said, if there are additional hurdles for acquiring it but the actual in park usage is similar than my brother will be going to Universal. If we think the system doesn't accommodate his needs, than he won't be going to Universal.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I haven't used Universal's system yet, but it does seem that having a 3rd party verification that requires some semblance of documentation is a good start.

I have an autistic older brother and we will likely be using Universal's new system this year. That being said, if there are additional hurdles for acquiring it but the actual in park usage is similar than my brother will be going to Universal. If we think the system doesn't accommodate his needs, than he won't be going to Universal.
The problem with Universal's system requiring verification is that Healthcare (especially mental health care as well as care for invisible chronic issues in young people especially especially women) is not always readily accessible or willing to believe there is actually an issue. So requiring any kind of proof like that, while technically allowed and sounds good on paper, adds a big barrier for many who do legitimately need the help. There's a reason Universals new system is so controversial

EPCOT-O.G.

The problem with Universal's system requiring verification is that Healthcare (especially mental health care as well as care for invisible chronic issues in young people especially especially women) is not always readily accessible or willing to believe there is actually an issue. So requiring any kind of proof like that, while technically allowed and sounds good on paper, adds a big barrier for many who do legitimately need the help. There's a reason Universals new system is so controversial
If someone doesn’t appreciate or believe they have an issue, how do they arrive at the conclusion they need DAS?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The problem with Universal's system requiring verification is that Healthcare (especially mental health care as well as care for invisible chronic issues in young people especially especially women) is not... willing to believe there is actually an issue.
I don't understand. The system requires showing proof, right? So are you saying they're not believing in the proof shown them. Or, are you saying there are situations where there is no proof and they're not willing to take people's word on it?

SplashJacket

Here’s the real issue. Assume these numbers for the sake of discussion:

Average guest rides 5 rides in a day

Average Genie guest rides 8 rides in a day

Average DAS guest rides 9 rides in a day

Do think the system is working?

Ignoring the percentage of DAS guests who are abusing the system (using multiple DAS guest's in the same party, not needing it, etc) this is not the intention of the system.

DAS intends to level the playing field and allow access to guests that would otherwise not experience what they would like/be able to experience.

DAS is not Make a Wish. DAS should not give an advantage beyond what’s achievable by the average guest. Currently, it does.

It’s hard to balance DAS in a proper way, because the people who need it the most, will likely experience the least, so with the current amount of abuse, if the average number of experiences by DAS guests gets closer to the park average guest, like 6, due to the amount of abuse, the figure would be greatly skewed by guests who don’t need DAS, so the ones that do might have an average of 3 attractions.

That said, in theory, if you make it less valuable, there would be less abuse, but once again it’s tricky because it could harm guests that actually need it.

So effectively, you either make it harder to get to decrease abuse, or decrease the value to decrease the incentive for abuse. Both have potential to harm the experience of guests needing the service, so it’s very tricky.

lazyboy97o

There is not an easy solution. How do people get parking handicap tags? (Legit question- is it an honor system?)

What do you propose?
Parking tags are a separate process defined by the laws and regulations. Those requirements intentionally do not extend to places of public accommodation.

I propose building adequate capacity instead of trying to keep attractions per guest per hour as low as possible.

MerlinTheGoat

Sooo...
Encanto? Indiana?
Disney-

1704576135826.png

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I don't understand. The system requires showing proof, right? So are you saying they're not believing in the proof shown them. Or, are you saying there are situations where there is no proof and they're not willing to take people's word on it?
The proof needs to be in the form of doctors notes or something similar.

Access to Healthcare is needed to produce doctors notes.

Access to health-care is not a given, especially in this country right now where insurance is largely tied to your place of employment

Even if you have access to Healthcare, mental Healthcare access is a whole other issue

Plus, medical practitioners historically overlook "invisible" chronic issues such as fibromyalgia in younger people. Especially women.

So, requiring proof for a DAS pass sounds good on paper. But in practice makes it much more difficult if not impossible for people who need it.

That being said, I'm just parotting what I've heard from friends who either use DAS or work guest relations about issues they've seen with Universal's system and fears of Disney adopting it. So I'm far from an expert

Of course, this thread has gotten WAY off topic and I definitely take some blame there lol

999th Happy Haunt

They aren’t a hostage, they can leave but then they lose their spot in line. You know like the rest of us, but with much nicer accommodations, which they deserve because of their disability.
I hope you know there’s a major psychological difference between moving through a line for a while and waiting in a small room for the same amount of time. It’s not even in Disney’s interest to keep people in a room, they’d rather you spend money on food and drink while you wait.

MagicHappens1971

Heaven forbid you be confined to a closed space in order to ride a ride, that’s just crazy right!
This is the wrong thread, however confining people to a space makes 0 sense for a variety of reasons…. 1) for Disney, they’re not out in the park spending money 2) they’re trapped in a room for literally no reason.

This also is not feasible just for the fact that Disney does not have the spaces for it. Regardless, this idea is ludicrous and something they will never implement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom