Easter 2014 phase closing watch

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Yeah - I wonder about this. I feel like more people stay for the Fireworks than the Parade. Flush them out and have more room for parade guests who actually want to see it.
Could be interesting. Fireworks end then half the crowd tries to leave while the other half stands to save parade seats blocking those trying to leave.

JimboJones123

Universal was insanity Wednesday.

It took us 70 minutes to exit the freeway and park.

Thank goodness we didn't have any bags, because bag check was wrapped around the shop kiosk and half way from the store to the lot moving walkways. It still took almost 5 minutes to work our way to the NO BAGS line.

Last edited:

BLY

We have just returned and had a brilliant night in Magic on Wednesday - went after the rain, arrived about 5pm and went on 26 rides (kids were counting!) including all the mountains and Peter Pan! We did miss the start of the fireworks though as didn't look at times as we have been going since 1997 and never been there when the fireworks have always been at 10! We were there last year for the same two weeks and I would say Disney was a fair bit quieter than last year and the weather was much warmer - we did both waterparks twice compared to just once last year.

TheRabbit

Could be interesting. Fireworks end then half the crowd tries to leave while the other half stands to save parade seats blocking those trying to leave.
AMEN! It has been a total MESS in the park with the fireworks going first. Some guests are trying to secure seats on the curbs, others wander the street, Main St crew is trying to put up the ropes...its just not working. I really hope they realize this 'experiment' didn't work. Go back to the old way PLEASE!!!

TheRabbit

MK parking lot hit capacity earlier today, park remained open to all guests.
They were parked all out on the grass toward the Hess station but no phase closing. I think the Fantasyland expansion gave them more sq footage to put more guests in the park, increasing capacity. Also, with the new entrance/exits, the exit numbers aren't monitored as accurately as before. The counters are inside the tunnels of the Main St train station as you leave and not as precise as the turnstyles use to be. Just my opinon.

Bolt

They were parked all out on the grass toward the Hess station but no phase closing. I think the Fantasyland expansion gave them more sq footage to put more guests in the park, increasing capacity. Also, with the new entrance/exits, the exit numbers aren't monitored as accurately as before. The counters are inside the tunnels of the Main St train station as you leave and not as precise as the turnstyles use to be. Just my opinon.
They have to follow fire code by law so I highly doubt they can just be wrong if they want. The argument of more square footage doesn't make sense since three years ago ToonTown was there, and we didn't have that issue but probably had the same amount of allowed capacity.

TheRabbit

They have to follow fire code by law so I highly doubt they can just be wrong if they want. The argument of more square footage doesn't make sense since three years ago ToonTown was there, and we didn't have that issue but probably had the same amount of allowed capacity.
I'm talking about the extra area back by Gaston's and Little Mermaid..all that walking area has given the park a larger footprint of available space to hold more guests. The area that was Toon Town is essentially the same 'area' (size wise). Not to mention behind the carousel, they really opened up all that area. And FIRE CODE?...when your talking about 50-60 THOUSAND people, there is no way to get an exact count. Not with people constantly coming in and out. They can get a rough count, and that is what the phase closings are based on. But its not like a restaurant where a sign says, Max Capacity...430 people. LOL

71jason

Universal was insanity Wednesday.

It took us 70 minutes to exit the freeway and park.

Thank goodness we didn't have any bags, because bag check was wrapped around the shop kiosk and half way from the store to the lot moving walkways. It still took almost 5 minutes to work our way to the NO BAGS line.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Universal has not grown their infrastructure they way they need to in order to keep up with expansion. Also, the third party parking company hires some of the dumbest people I've ever seen gainfully employed.

And I'm a Uni fanboi ...

Bolt

I'm talking about the extra area back by Gaston's and Little Mermaid..all that walking area has given the park a larger footprint of available space to hold more guests. The area that was Toon Town is essentially the same 'area' (size wise). Not to mention behind the carousel, they really opened up all that area. And FIRE CODE?...when your talking about 50-60 THOUSAND people, there is no way to get an exact count. Not with people constantly coming in and out. They can get a rough count, and that is what the phase closings are based on. But its not like a restaurant where a sign says, Max Capacity...430 people. LOL
It's more than overhead counters - they are able to count each tickets that touch points in for a raw count, and additionally the exit cast members have counters in their hands. During a phased closing situation, those cast members won't be all that busy because its an issue of too many people coming in, not coming out...

tissandtully

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Universal has not grown their infrastructure they way they need to in order to keep up with expansion. Also, the third party parking company hires some of the dumbest people I've ever seen gainfully employed.

And I'm a Uni fanboi ...

Didn't realize the parking people weren't Universal employees, when I worked there they weren't contracted out, that was a while ago though.

Newlife276

We're here at the Magic Kingdom today and honestly it hasn't been bad at all. We even rode BTMRR twice in a row (once Stand-By @ 25 min & once FP+).

We're leaving because it's getting ready to storm pretty bad but we'll be back this evening, hopefully it will be even lighter crowds since they're open til 3am!

TheRabbit

It's more than overhead counters - they are able to count each tickets that touch points in for a raw count, and additionally the exit cast members have counters in their hands. During a phased closing situation, those cast members won't be all that busy because its an issue of too many people coming in, not coming out...
Man, I hate to be the guy always correcting...but the cast at the exit gate at the MK do NOT have hand counters, and you dont touch your ticket to anything leaving to indicate exit. I talked specifically to a Lead manager at the turnstyles and he explained the only way they count exiting guests is the overhead system now. Sorry.

Vader2112

Entertainment is trying something new this week at the Magic Kingdom. Fireworks will go FIRST at 9pm, then parade at 10pm and again at Midnight. Very interesting to see how that works out with crowd control.
Sounds like how they work it at MNNSHP and MVMCP.

Vader2112

Going to the PORS Tomorrow for a few days... Think it may just be a resort weekend and then venture to the parks Monday.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Sounds like how they work it at MNNSHP and MVMCP.

The parties wedge the fireworks between the two parades, at 9:30, with parades taking place at 8:15 and 10:30. This is how MK normally stages things, with Wishes at 10 and DEP at 9 and 11. What they're currently doing is putting Wishes ahead of both parades, which is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

prberk

Both EPCOT and DHS should be open later on relatively busy nights, anyway; for the amount of money they charge now for tickets, if for no other reason. But I also think it is beyond rediculous that they are not open later like they used to be anyway. That is why you have such craziness at MK at night. Especially with Pleasure Island gone, people paying thousands of dollars for a vacation at a resort that bills itself as a complete resort ought to have more evening options, or at least enough where they can enjoy the night without being herded around like cattle to do the only thing open.

I used to enjoy walking around Disney World at night. Now, after the sun goes down, you have very few options that are not a crowded MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom