Earfell Tower to be removed

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I saw this posted elsewhere, can't remember where but is the tower heading to Disney Springs as in the pics they have shown there is a water tower saying Disney Springs on it. Why build a new one when Earful can be removed repainted and relocated ?

articos

I saw this posted elsewhere, can't remember where but is the tower heading to Disney Springs as in the pics they have shown there is a water tower saying Disney Springs on it. Why build a new one when Earful can be removed repainted and relocated ?
It's more cost effective to simply fabricate a new one for Springs (which would be planned separately from what's going on at Studios), plus the scale for Springs' height is different from the water tower for Studios, plus a quarter century takes its toll on a structure constantly exposed to the elements. If Springs does end up with the water tower from the artwork. Remember, concept art is not always what's built. It may be and probably will be, but things always change as the project takes shape. Lots of reasons.

Last edited:

note2001

I'm willing to bet most guests never noticed the earful tower. I can recall my first visit (summer '90), I was expecting the tower to be visible from all over the park. It took a ride on the Backlot Tour and for it to be pointed out to us for me to notice it. Bit of a letdown it was. The whole park was.

JohnD

First the Sorcerer's Hat - now the Earful Tower... They're destroying my beloved HS!

...said no one, ever. :D

There's a difference between the two. Earful Tower has been there from the beginning. The BAH was added 13-14 years after the park opened and remained up for 13-14 years.

JohnD

I'm willing to bet most guests never noticed the earful tower. I can recall my first visit (summer '90), I was expecting the tower to be visible from all over the park. It took a ride on the Backlot Tour and for it to be pointed out to us for me to notice it. Bit of a letdown it was. The whole park was.

I think they would have at least seen it in the peripheral vision at LMA (see my profile pic) or when leaving BATB. It's staring directly at you.
IMG_5276.JPG

JohnD

Still don't understand what the big deal is about a fake water tower coming down

It's something that brought character to the park. I get that it has a "studios" vibe, though, so is a reason for it to come down since that is no longer the direction of the park. I do like the suggestion of moving it to Disney Springs (with or without the ears). Many small towns have water towers. This one wouldn't be real, of course, but it would be visible from I-4.

ABQ

I agree that it brought character, it gave a shout out to the original Disney studios and once the FL studios stopped functioning as a true studio it could have come down. A billion years ago or now, it was cute, but losing it doesn't make of break things for me.

yensidtlaw1969

Still don't understand what the big deal is about a fake water tower coming down
It has to do with its positioning within the legacy of the park, and therefore the Walt Disney World resort as a whole.

As the original Icon of the Studios, many guests who visited in the late 80's-most of the 90's connected with it as a significant structure within the property and a symbol of Walt Disney World - one that, despite losing the title of official Studios Icon, retained its emotional charge with that group of guests by remaining in the park even as the "World" changed around it.

In a park that's been grappling with an identity crisis for the better part of 15 years now, it's stood as a symbol of what was when that park was decisive, and a reminder of a time where things were looking up for the resort. After 27 years, it makes sense that to many it is no longer just a "fake water tower", much in the way that Cinderella Castle is not just "a fake castle". It means something when you see it - for many, seeing the Tower was part of coming home to the place they grew up.

That place has been changing for a while now, but the Tower was always there. It makes a statement about the park to remove it, and while it's probably a sign of great progress it does also mean letting go of part of "home", and that's not always easy.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

It has to do with it's positioning within the legacy of the park, and therefore the Walt Disney World resort as a whole.

As the original Icon of the Studios, many guests who visited in the late 80's-most of the 90's connected with it as a significant structure within the property and a symbol of Walt Disney World - one that, despite losing the title of official Studios Icon, retained its emotional charge with that group of guests by remaining in the park even as the "World" changed around it.

In a park that's been grappling with an identity crisis for the better part of 15 years now, it's stood as a symbol of what was when that park was decisive, and a reminder of a time where things were looking up for the resort. After 27 years, it makes sense that to many it is no longer just a "fake water tower", much in the way that Cinderella Castle is not just "a fake castle". It means something when you see it - for many, seeing the Tower was part of coming home to the place they grew up.

That place has been changing for a while now, but the Tower was always there. It makes a statement about the park to remove it, and while it's probably a sign of great progress it does also mean letting go of part of "home", and that's not always easy.
Very well put. And also, in my opinion, very accurate. I will not shed any tears when it comes down, but, in many ways it is as important to my mind set as the Castle is to others. It's an identity and it could remain without any problems. Water towers are everywhere. Not just movie studios. How many small towns have you driven into and the first thing you see is a water tower. Did you immediately think... Hey, this must be a movie studio? It was made to be a connection but it is not necessary to the identity. It is just a clever, (with the ears) whimsical way of letting you know that you are in Disney. Like the entry sign to WDW, the Castle in MK, The "big ole golf ball in Epcot and the tree in DAK.

note2001

I think they would have at least seen it in the peripheral vision at LMA (see my profile pic) or when leaving BATB. It's staring directly at you.View attachment 126879
LMA did not exist back then. Felt like nothing existed back then, and yet we were suckered into park hopping over out of curiosity. I find it funny that even with all the closures the park will still have more to do than when it opened.
disneymgm1990map.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom