DVC Website

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
The reply I received is that too many former members still had their blue cards, and illegally received discounts. The first answer was to have expiration dates, but there were still thousands of former owners cheating them. So now virtual and when you sell, it is immediately invalidated. Jerks like this are why we can’t have nice things.
Thank you.
I had no idea some people were doing this. 😠

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The reply I received is that too many former members still had their blue cards, and illegally received discounts. The first answer was to have expiration dates, but there were still thousands of former owners cheating them. So now virtual and when you sell, it is immediately invalidated. Jerks like this are why we can’t have nice things.

While I understand that, this seems awfully petty/penny-wise but pound-foolish. Punish the entire DVC population with a cumbersome digital card process because some former owners got a discount they shouldn't have? That's like doing away with AP's because some people cancelled theirs but kept showing an AP card to get discounts. Here's a thought - Don't let the transaction go through until the sellers' blue cards were sent back to DVC. That would stop things in their tracks. Nah, that's too sensible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Gee…I signed on to the thing for the first time in 6 months…and it hits me with a survey. So I figure “sure…I’ll play…”

whats this “request additional points” nonsense that the survey was first grade level steering me to??

sitting on some points, are we Bob?

nickys

Premium Member
Side note: This digital card thing is utterly stupid. Not intuitive at all, and takes more time (at least for us) than getting out our blue card, which is always close at hand when we have visited the parks in the past.
Agreed. I don’t want to have to carry my phone round and then rely on the app or wifi to be able to get a discount. We all know how reliable the app can be. So if it’s glitchy we won’t get the discount.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

While I understand that, this seems awfully petty/penny-wise but pound-foolish. Punish the entire DVC population with a cumbersome digital card process because some former owners got a discount they shouldn't have? That's like doing away with AP's because some people cancelled theirs but kept showing an AP card to get discounts. Here's a thought - Don't let the transaction go through until the sellers' blue cards were sent back to DVC. That would stop things in their tracks. Nah, that's too sensible.
It’s currently the country’s worst timeshare program…I can make the case 🤪

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. I don’t want to have to carry my phone round and then rely on the app or wifi to be able to get a discount. We all know how reliable the app can be. So if it’s glitchy we won’t get the discount.
The worm has turned there…no going back

“while old key west slept”

nickys

Premium Member
Far more people get discounts because the CMs don’t ask for the card than those that have sold. And now with the digital ones the CMs will glance at the card and apply the discount, regardless if it’s white or blue. And if they sell, I bet the card will still be good to use if people have downloaded it. There will be more people incorrectly getting the discounts now than there ever were before.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Far more people get discounts because the CMs don’t ask for the card than those that have sold. And now with the digital ones the CMs will glance at the card and apply the discount, regardless if it’s white or blue. And if they sell, I bet the card will still be good to use if people have downloaded it. There will be more people incorrectly getting the discounts now than there ever were before.
The download is only good for one month, but you’re right that people will try to game the system.
Weird about CMs not asking for the card, as we always get asked for it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

With screenshots of your card being accepted, I can easily see people Photoshopping theirs to get discounts indefinitely. You know what you can't Photoshop? A PHYSICAL CARD. In fact, I could see this as an avenue for many non-DVC members to get the DVC discount. All it takes is some photo editing skills and fakes will be abundant.

correcaminos

This is why I won't stop carrying a digital copy of the card as well. I know not great for those who don't want to carry a phone, but that will be my choice as long as they take it.
With screenshots of your card being accepted, I can easily see people Photoshopping theirs to get discounts indefinitely. You know what you can't Photoshop? A PHYSICAL CARD. In fact, I could see this as an avenue for many non-DVC members to get the DVC discount. All it takes is some photo editing skills and fakes will be abundant.
You could fake the physical card, but it is harder to do.

If Disney had a decent head on their shoulders with IT all we'd need to do is scan our magic band or QR code and -bam- it works.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The download is only good for one month, but you’re right that people will try to game the system.
Weird about CMs not asking for the card, as we always get asked for it.
I’ve never NOT been asked for it. They don’t play around with such things…the one thing Disney is strict about with their employees is what they perceive to be “theft” by discount.

nickys

Premium Member
I’ve always been asked for the card. But I know plenty of people who just get asked “Are you DVC or AP” and they say yes. CM puts through the discount.

Witness the recent events with the Sorcerers Pass by CMs at Guest Services at the parks. They were accepting a digital white card and activating or selling the pass.

correcaminos

I’ve always been asked for the card. But I know plenty of people who just get asked “Are you DVC or AP” and they say yes. CM puts through the discount.

Witness the recent events with the Sorcerers Pass by CMs at Guest Services at the parks. They were accepting a digital white card and activating or selling the pass.
I was surprised in November once I was only asked what color my card was when I went to get it out.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I always kept my DVC card and ID together to whip out and show the CM when I was checking out. Do we still need to show ID (license) with the downloaded version of the card? Or is the fact that my card has been downloaded on my phone proof enough that I am a DVC member?

CaptainAmerica

Jerks like this are why we can’t have nice things.
Jerks like this are why Disney upgraded their tech interface, more like.

Thank you, jerks!

I'd rather have a physical blue card too. Hate it that DVC cards went digital. It's just another Disney cost-cutting measure, imo.
That doesn't even make sense on its face. Membership cards are paid for BY the membership. Disney literally isn't saving a single penny here.

nickys

Premium Member
It probably actually does save pennies…and the fact that it does is what’s sad.

untelated: I noticed today my dues are up 11 or so % 👍🏻
“Because covid”…I assume 🙄
Are you comparing the dues to what you actually paid last year? Because remember we got a rebate for 2020 which was applied against the 2021 dues, thus giving a reduction in what we paid. Which means the increase you have to pay this year is probably as good as doubled the actual increase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom