DVC Website

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are you comparing the dues to what you actually paid last year? Because remember we got a rebate for 2020 which was applied against the 2021 dues, thus giving a reduction in what we paid. Which means the increase you have to pay this year is probably as good as doubled the actual increase.
If that’s the case (and I don’t honestly pay much attention)…the rate of climb is probably higher than what I noticed then in the aggregate.

nickys

Premium Member
If that’s the case (and I don’t honestly pay much attention)…the rate of climb is probably higher than what I noticed then in the aggregate.
This is a list of the dues for this year, last year and the %age increase. Highest was 7% for VGC.

Resort2022 Dues2021 Dues% Increase
Animal Kingdom Villas$8.2365$8.07282.03%
Aulani$8.6739$8.35393.83%
Aulani (Subsidized)$6.5205$6.27993.83%
Bay Lake Tower$7.0826$6.89982.65%
Beach Club Villas$7.5362$7.43731.33%
BoardWalk Villas$8.0802$7.81263.43%
Boulder Ridge$8.1469$8.10620.50%
Copper Creek Villas$7.6020$7.59030.15%
Grand Californian$7.4824$6.99277.00%
Grand Floridian$7.0077$6.81182.88%
Hilton Head$10.0707$9.97300.98%
Old Key West$8.8063$8.35785.37%
Polynesian$7.3859$7.05424.70%
Riviera$8.3840$8.38330.01%
Saratoga Springs$7.3287$7.11103.06%
Vero Beach (Before 1/1/96) $9.4100$8.85606.26%
Vero Beach (On or After 1/1/96)$11.9405$11.23076.32%

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
…I’m sure i was thrown off by that “credit” scenario you were describing…

not loving DVC much anyway right now - however

edit: I just compared the Monthly deduct (I’ve always done it that way…hence why I don’t pay attention) rose about 9%…maybe they did some kind of adjustment and I missed it? Further study needed

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

edit: I just compared the Monthly deduct (I’ve always done it that way…hence why I don’t pay attention) rose about 9%…maybe they did some kind of adjustment and I missed it? Further study needed
Our dues went up about $15/month over 2020, so roughly 5%.

nickys

Premium Member

After they calculated the dues for 2021 (at the end of 2020), they then made an adjustment for the period that the resorts were closed during 2020. That was paid in the form of a rebate which reduced the amount you had to actually pay each month but the calculated dues themselves were not reduced.

So I own at Bay Lake. My dues last year were about $6.90 per point. But I only actually paid say $6.10 per point because the dues were offset by a rebate for 2020.

That meant that when the dues for 2022 were calculated, the amount you will actually pay each month will have increased by roughly twice the actual increase in the dues.

Your dues did not rise by 9%. The amount you have to pay did because of the reduction last year due to the closure rebate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
After they calculated the dues for 2021 (at the end of 2020), they then made an adjustment for the period that the resorts were closed during 2020. That was paid in the form of a rebate which reduced the amount you had to actually pay each month but the calculated dues themselves were not reduced.

So I own at Bay Lake. My dues last year were about $6.90 per point. But I only actually paid say $6.10 per point because the dues were offset by a rebate for 2020.

That meant that when the dues for 2022 were calculated, the amount you will actually pay each month will have increased by roughly twice the actual increase in the dues.

Your dues did not rise by 9%. The amount you have to pay did because of the reduction last year due to the closure rebate.
Good to know…now it would be nice if they’d get around to selling tickets 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe all the way at the top, but when it comes down to it the ones making decisions are totally different. I'm a bit shocked it hasn't resumed
I’m gonna whine a little:

no annual passes fundamentally changes DVC. Technicalities and nuance aside…it’s the primary ticket choice for DVC and to not have it as an option completely alters the program.

Last edited:

correcaminos

no annual passes fundamentally changes DVC. Technicalities and nuance aside…it’s the primary ticket choice for DVC and to not have it as an option completely alters the program.
From the FB group I manage I'd guess it is split. There was a time when a ton were buying small contracts and only going every 2-3 years. I see many who go without doing parks even. Heck there was a window of time I only did regular tickets (new jobs limited how long we could vacation). Granted I also remember a time when APs were not a discount perk for us so we didn't always do park trips. So while a lot do, a lot don't. But this is why we're keeping with our renewals.

It stinks but I really do expect a return sooner than later.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

That's why we bought ours the first day they were available, even though we won't be activating them until our March trip.
From the FB group I manage I'd guess it is split. There was a time when a ton were buying small contracts and only going every 2-3 years. I see many who go without doing parks even. Heck there was a window of time I only did regular tickets (new jobs limited how long we could vacation). Granted I also remember a time when APs were not a discount perk for us so we didn't always do park trips. So while a lot do, a lot don't. But this is why we're keeping with our renewals.

We have done multiple resort only stays. The parks are not a requirement for us, but a more relaxing vacation is. We will be renewing our APs, since Disney never stopped renewals. It does suck that we don't get any kind of discount anymore, and it would not have hurt Disney's bottom line at all to give one to us, but at least we were able to get the Sorcerer's Pass, instead of having to buy the top tier.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's why we bought ours the first day they were available, even though we won't be activating them until our March trip.
I see the logic in that…

but for me…nope. I’m not loaning money to Disney. I also kinda don’t want them now (their current tactics are distasteful)…it’s a commitment to them…not sure why you have to “hit a window”. Very bad strategic decision on their part. But that assumes there is a long game and that’s far from certain at this point.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is that true? Most owners have enough points for what, a week?
If that’s the case…then they’ve missed the point. The reason Marriott (what DVC used as a model), DVC, etc exist was to break the week model of low grade timeshares.

that “our week” stuff is archaic and tasteless.

back story: I worked with the original DVC gm later in his tenure. Enlightening.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’m here in heavy hitter DVC land and the AP blackout is a powder keg. Lots of 2-3 weekers in these parts

experiences vary. But even if it’s a “small” percentage of the total owners…then that makes it even more nonsensical not to sell them. These are your core “high spenders” that you don’t have to lure in. Until now.

CaptainAmerica

If that’s the case…then they’ve missed the point. The reason Marriott (what DVC used as a model), DVC, etc exist was to break the week model of low grade timeshares.

back story: I worked with the original DVC gm later in his tenure. Enlightening.
"Enough points for a week," not necessarily "a single seven night trip every July." My main point is that you're not hitting breakeven on an Annual Pass unless you have something like 300 points, which most owners don't have.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I see the logic in that…

but for me…nope. I’m not loaning money to Disney. I also kinda don’t want them…it’s a commitment to them…not sure why you have to “hit a window”. Very bad strategic decision on their part. But that assumes there is a long game and that’s far from certain at this point.
Well, we didn't consider it "loaning" money to Disney, since when we activate them, they won't expire until next March, so we'll be getting at least 2 if not 3 trips on them. We had a feeling that the sale of APs was going to stop at some point, and we did not want to be locked out.
Yes, you could say it is a commitment to them, but we still see the value, so have no issue with it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

You worked with Ken, or was he after your time?

correcaminos

I’m here in heavy hitter DVC land and the AP blackout is a powder keg. Lots of 2-3 weekers in these parts

experiences vary. But even if it’s a “small” percentage of the total owners…then that makes it even more nonsensical not to sell them. These are your core “high spenders” that you don’t have to lure in. Until now.
Again DVC/DVD has no control over parks like that. Though people who are DVC and have APs are not the higher spenders traditionally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom