Dubailand vs WDW

TP2000

Very little of this stuff "announced" for Dubailand will ever get built. They've been firing off press releases and computer generated images for years about all the stuff that is going to be built in Dubailand, and none of it ever seems to get built.

I guess there's some falcon sports complex, where Arab businessmen can go with their prized falcons and let them fly around and hunt mice. FUN!

And a cheesy race car thing, where Arab businessmen can go race their expensive sports cars. Will your expensive sports car fit in the overhead compartment on Emirates Airlines? You might need to check that Ferrari, sir.

Have any of these major theme parks even begun construction? And if they have, are they anything more than a couple of roller coasters and some well shaded snack bars?

Dubailand is the biggest scam on the Internet. This stuff only really exists on slick websites and in computer generated concept artwork. They've been firing off press releases for years, with very little actual construction. And the few things that get built, are really just small scale amusement zones built in the middle of sand dunes.

Dubailand is no threat to Walt Disney World, Disneyland, or Paris Disneyland. It doesn't matter.

yankspy

I can quote any which way i like thank you.

And no, the issue at hand is not an opinion based issue, it is a fact based issue.

The UAE is one of the US closest allies. They have supported the ''coalition'' in it's invasions. They have supplied troops and supplies to fight other Middle Eastern Nations, which some seem to think all belong to one united anti-american league.

The UAE had extremely strong ties with Britain. It chose to seperate itself from others and bring together former areas as one united force for economic, political and social improvement. Rather like the United States itself.

One thing I have learnt from these boards is that many, not all, but many American posters seem to think that anything outside of Europe and the US is evil and threatening them. That if they were to step foot on a plane then foreigners will murder them. They think nothing could compare to what they can build. It is extremely saddening.

You only have to go on any thread on dubailand to see the completely conflicting views on Dubai between the US and the rest of the world. One seems to think that as it is lumped in with the ''Middle East'' name, then it must be a breeding ground for terrorism and lack of human rights. That no one would ever want to step foot it. That it wants to destroy america and everything about its way of life.

The other side realises that Dubai is actually a supporter of the West, pumps money into attracting tourism. Is home to millions of foreigners. That it is safe, vibrant and interesting. That it is one of the most up and coming countries in the world. And that tourists flock there for that very reason.

Dubai is known for its extremely high level of service, quality, respect and beauty. Yet posters seem to pass it off as a desert where arabs will try to take your money and blow you up.

That is why i get so annoyed, at the pure ignorance.
The issue I refered to was the opinion that "Dubailand" was worth going to. This is why I separated it from the comment about tact. I never questioned your historical accuracy. I do not need the history lesson as I am a Historian but I appreciate it anyway.:)

I did not mean to offend you in any way I was merely saying that tact can go a long way. As you saw, I would love to see how it turns out. I also agree that I have no idea where some may get the idea that the U.A.E. hates America.

DocMcHulk

3 hour flight and I'm at DisneyWorld or DisneyLand.
I couldn't care less about Dubai.

The average American can save up for a few years and afford to go to Disney. There is no way the average American can afford to fly to and stay in Dubai.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Very little of this stuff "announced" for Dubailand will ever get built. They've been firing off press releases and computer generated images for years about all the stuff that is going to be built in Dubailand, and none of it ever seems to get built.

I guess there's some falcon sports complex, where Arab businessmen can go with their prized falcons and let them fly around and hunt mice. FUN!

And a cheesy race car thing, where Arab businessmen can go race their expensive sports cars. Will your expensive sports car fit in the overhead compartment on Emirates Airlines? You might need to check that Ferrari, sir.

Have any of these major theme parks even begun construction? And if they have, are they anything more than a couple of roller coasters and some well shaded snack bars?

Dubailand is the biggest scam on the Internet. This stuff only really exists on slick websites and in computer generated concept artwork. They've been firing off press releases for years, with very little actual construction. And the few things that get built, are really just small scale amusement zones built in the middle of sand dunes.

Dubailand is no threat to Walt Disney World, Disneyland, or Paris Disneyland. It doesn't matter.

Busch Gardens, Sea World, Discovery Cove, Universal and Six Flags ARE getting built over there, plus many other places, some of which already are open like the massive indoor skiing complex.

The overall project completion is supposed to be 2018, so still a full decade to go.

Although this post is a few years old, it has a ton of pics of the models of the parks:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=107822

Dubai

I am going to perform in Dubai at the end of October for this and I, for one, can't wait! Several of the production companies in Orlando have already sent shows over to give a preview possible entertainment.

kimmychad

the whole region that dubai is in is very unstable. it seem very naive to believe that just because they don't dislike western civilization we'll be fine while we're there. it's very close to iran, only 865 to iraq, and 644 miles to saudi arabia. and what will some countries see if americans start visiting frequently? targets. i'm not ignorant, i wouldn't walk down a back alley of detroit in the middle of the night either, i just don't have a death wish.

yankspy

the whole region that dubai is in is very unstable. it seem very naive to believe that just because they don't dislike western civilization we'll be fine while we're there. it's very close to iran, only 865 to iraq, and 644 miles to saudi arabia. and what will some countries see if americans start visiting frequently? targets. i'm not ignorant, i wouldn't walk down a back alley of detroit in the middle of the night either, i just don't have a death wish.
According to many statistics, Orlando seems pretty unstable as well. :lol:

Seriously though, there do seem to be some cultural differences that may cause some sticky situations. However, I credit them for undertaking such a huge project. They are smart in that they realize that the cash cow called oil will eventually run out and that if they wish to have a stable economy, they better invest in something else. Tourism is a good way to go.

I think that whenever you travel anywhere there is some risk. You are in unfamilar surroundings and that can lead you into some trouble. However, that should not stop one from visiting other countries. I have known a few people who have traveled to Dubai and they all said that it was a great place to visit.

I would never call you ignorant for not wanting to go, I just do not think that security would be a major concern. I should think that a lot of the investors have considered the possible safety issues and they seem to think that it would not be a major problem.

kimmychad

According to many statistics, Orlando seems pretty unstable as well. :lol:

Seriously though, there do seem to be some cultural differences that may cause some sticky situations. However, I credit them for undertaking such a huge project. They are smart in that they realize that the cash cow called oil will eventually run out and that if they wish to have a stable economy, they better invest in something else. Tourism is a good way to go.

I think that whenever you travel anywhere there is some risk. You are in unfamilar surroundings and that can lead you into some trouble. However, that should not stop one from visiting other countries. I have known a few people who have traveled to Dubai and they all said that it was a great place to visit.

I would never call you ignorant for not wanting to go, I just do not think that security would be a major concern. I should think that a lot of the investors have considered the possible safety issues and they seem to think that it would not be a major problem.

lol, after seeing downtown orlando at night i was extremely glad i rented a car instead of using the i-ride and using the resort bus to disney. i just finished reading an article about the different things people are prosecuted for in dubai and i was quite amazed. a four year jail term for a minute amount of marijauna on the bottom of a guys shoes, the poppy seed they found on some poor guys shirt. the movie midnight express comes to mind.

yankspy

lol, after seeing downtown orlando at night i was extremely glad i rented a car instead of using the i-ride and using the resort bus to disney. i just finished reading an article about the different things people are prosecuted for in dubai and i was quite amazed. a four year jail term for a minute amount of marijauna on the bottom of a guys shoes, the poppy seed they found on some poor guys shirt. the movie midnight express comes to mind.
You are showing your age thinking of that movie.:lol: It does seem like there could be some potential problems. It could be that these are isolated incidents. If not, then perhaps this venture will bring about some change. Who knows?

Tarzan513

Wow, what a fire packed thread so far. From someone who has spent a fair amount of time in developing countries, I can understand the perceptions being laid out on both side of the fence; there seems to be many misconceptions being thrown around. May I just state that just because a country is a friend to the US does not mean that they are not friends with our enemies also. I am not saying that Dubai is an enemy, but simply saying that because Dubai is our friend so they are not a threat, can be somewhat misleading. Additionally, please note that Dubai is not the only one getting rich off of oil, many US companies and shareholders are getting rich off of this. Regardless, competition is always good and pushes the standards of "First Class." I also question if they will be able to draw the demand that will make this $70 billion project cost effective, especially if they need to share these profits with all of the companies who are opening Dubailand parks. I mean they have how many more parks then the World does. Plus, all of these are in one location that in my opinion is not that accessible to the US. Not that the US is the only country that matters, but when you look at GDP per capita, we are a very "attractive" customer base. Finally, Disney has so much history, roots, and "American" value engrained in it that it will take some major time for Dubai to shake that up. I would certainly go visit it and see this new place, but would I go there year after year for my family vacation...probably not.

You guys rock, I love to hear all the Disney news and different ideas. Sometimes I feel people are a little more harsh then they really need to be, but I guess that teaches others that "tone" is something worth considering

scottnj1966

We have Walt Disney World. Lots of memories.
I'm not going to say anything else about this subject, except, why does it keep coming up?
Anyone that questions that Disney should keep an eye on them does not know what Disney is all about.

luckyeye13

The law is the law.
respect the laws and cultures of different countries and you'll be fine. That is what travelling is about. If you judge every country on differences, then you'd never go anywhere.

Thank you! :sohappy:

While I was living in India back in 2005, foreign tourists seemed to be having problems with keeping their clothes on and all parts of the body to themselves while in the north Indian town of Pushkar. As Pushkar is considered a holy Hindu town, there are a lot of things which are prohibited there. For example, meat (as the top Hindu caste is not allowed to eat it), alcohol, and drugs (that should go without saying) are prohibited. Also in that list, though, are vulgarity, "smooching," hugging, and indecent dress. There are plenty of signs as you enter the town and once you are in it that alert visitors to this, so unless one is blind, it is very difficult to miss this. And even for the blind or illiterate, those rules are apparently also broadcast over loud speakers, though I do not remember that part when I was there. Unfortunately, that didn't keep an Israeli couple from kissing at the end of their traditional Hindu wedding ceremony (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/21/world/main874438.shtml) or a Finnish woman from skinny dipping in a holy lake, and then walking naked through a market to her hotel (http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20051026/nation.htm#10). The naked swim/walk thing probably doesn't take too much guesswork to figure out why it might have been an issue, but the kissing thing seemed like a strange deal to many people who read about it outside of India. However, Hindu culture is quite conservative and public displays of affection are frowned upon, even in bigger places like Delhi or Mumbai. Again, the rules are very prominently displayed in and around Pushkar, so even the couple's claim of ignorance was certainly silly. If the law was followed and the culture respected, there would have been no problems. After all, Pushkar attracts great numbers of tourists every year, especially during it's annual Camel Fair, and most of them seem to have no problems abiding by the rules.

When I go to Dubai, it will be during the last week of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan. As a result, I expect that some places that I might want to visit will be closed and I know that there are some practices that need to be adhered to while eating during the day. Although Muslims are not allowed to eat or drink during the daylight hours, in Dubai, those who believe in other or no religions are accomodated during that time. From what I have read, there are curtained areas set up in malls and other public places where non-Muslims can eat without offending those who are fasting. So while I know that it will all be a little strange for me, I am certainly interested in the differences that I will see. Of course, I don't plan on eating too many poppy seed rolls while waiting at JFK! :lol:

Ravenclaw87

You know, the only reason I'm not concerned about Dubailand is, honestly, because I haven't heard about it anywhere other than here! I mean, yes, I love you guys :) but, well, we're kind of theme park dorks. Dubailand doesn't have the commercials with that music and that little boy who is "too excited to sleep." I think we'll be okay. :)

TP2000

What a difference two months can make! Since we last chatted, panic and economic collapse has swept through Dubai. Real estate is crashing by the week and there is a panic to sell the thousands of overpriced condos built in the last few years, and developers are cancelling their theme park mega-projects left and right.

Screamscape has a nice round-up of the latest news from Dubai, but the real story won't firm up on just how bad it's going to get for Dubailand until January or February. http://www.screamscape.com/html/dubailand.htm

I stated in this thread, and others like it in '07 and '08, that I didn't think 90% of the stuff proposed for Dubailand would ever get built. What I didn't understand was just how quickly a collapse could sweep through. There's plenty of flashy websites left for theme parks in the sand that will never get built, and they still make me laugh reading them and thinking people actually believed it. :ROFLOL:

This collapse will threaten more than just the abandoned theme parks and malls however. For instance, what is to become of Emirates Airlines order for 50 A380 superjumbo jetliners, a fleet that Emirates was convinced would be needed to shuttle the millions of tourists coming to visit Dubailand by 2012? A cancellation of even a dozen or two of those jets will send Airbus into a tailspin since they are so heavily over-leveraged on the A380 program as it is.

seeLSUrun

im not going to go to Dubai because its too far away. i live in louisiana and im flying my whole family out saturday to orlando, they leave at 11 am and get there at 2:30, me and my dad are driving and will be leaving at 6am and getting to orlando for about 5pm, just in time to go watch my Tigers at the ESPN club. its way too convinient to go to Fla for me and plenty affordable, plus i know ill love it:xmas:

danpam1024

so it was DISNEY that masterminded the world-wide economic collapse just to protect itself from competition :drevil: BRILLIANT:sohappy::ROFLOL:

bfbulldog

What a difference two months can make! Since we last chatted, panic and economic collapse has swept through Dubai. Real estate is crashing by the week and there is a panic to sell the thousands of overpriced condos built in the last few years, and developers are cancelling their theme park mega-projects left and right.

Screamscape has a nice round-up of the latest news from Dubai, but the real story won't firm up on just how bad it's going to get for Dubailand until January or February. http://www.screamscape.com/html/dubailand.htm

I stated in this thread, and others like it in '07 and '08, that I didn't think 90% of the stuff proposed for Dubailand would ever get built. What I didn't understand was just how quickly a collapse could sweep through. There's plenty of flashy websites left for theme parks in the sand that will never get built, and they still make me laugh reading them and thinking people actually believed it. :ROFLOL:

This collapse will threaten more than just the abandoned theme parks and malls however. For instance, what is to become of Emirates Airlines order for 50 A380 superjumbo jetliners, a fleet that Emirates was convinced would be needed to shuttle the millions of tourists coming to visit Dubailand by 2012? A cancellation of even a dozen or two of those jets will send Airbus into a tailspin since they are so heavily over-leveraged on the A380 program as it is.

Never mind the economic collapse, the main reason Dubai will never be a commercial success is because it's in the middle of a war zone. You think the companies and people are staying away now because of the econmomy?

Wait until there is another attack and see what happens. This effort was a valiant attempt by the Dubai government to prepare themselves for an economy no longer driven by oil. However, they can't change the fact that they are located in a geographic region that has been in a constant state of conflict for 1000 years. Sorry, projections will never materialize and companies will ocntinue to bail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom