Dubailand vs WDW

Walt_Disney

Original Poster
Dubailand is 104 sq miles (2 times more land then WDW) and it looks like just about every entertainment company is building attractions in it. Simply amazing. I doubt it will carry the same respect and great service and attention to detail Disney does, but it's something that Disney should keep an eye on I would think. I mean they have endless money and the attractions they could build would probably be stuff we couldn't even imagine.

wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubailand

Official Site of the park: http://www.dubailand.ae/

Facts & Figures

DUBAILAND™ is a member of Tatweer and the world’s most ambitious tourism, leisure and entertainment project, designed to catalyze the position of Dubai as an international hub of family tourism

The DUBAILAND™ venture is estimated at AED 235 billion

DUBAILAND™ will cover an area of 3 billion square feet

DUBAILAND™ has 7 themes: Theme parks, culture & art, science & planetariums, sports & sports academies, wellbeing & health, shopping & retail and resorts & hotels

DUBAILAND™ has a total of 45 mega projects

Projects currently operational include: Autodrome, Polo & Equestrian Club and Al Sahra Desert Resort

DUBAILAND™ expects a footfall of 40,000 visitors a day and will contribute to attracting 15 million visitors to Dubai by the year 2015.

The diverse projects under DUBAILAND™ include theme parks, eco-tourism projects, shopping malls, restaurants and residential units that are being developed by UAE, GCC and international investors

DUBAILAND™ will have a minimum of 55 hotels within its geographical location

DUBAILAND™ projects a population of 2.5 million people, which includes tourists, workers and residents, once fully operational
Seven Zones (Worlds)[10]

Your thoughts?

DisneyDellsDude

It's neat, but it's not all one company like WDW.
With the current things going on in the Middle East, I don't think the location is prime to make WDW attendance hurt too much.
If you wanted, it would probably be more fair to put up all of Orlando against Dubai if you were to compair.

Plus it's only DubaiLAND, not DubiaWORLD.:D:animwink:

Epcotbob

Looks absolutely amazing, however, there is just one tiny problem..... it's in DUBAI!!!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly!!

Dubai is a haven for the rich, it costs a fortune to travel there so I don't expect to see alot of "Family" vacations to Dubailand.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm taking a wait and see approach, I've seen some very high quality things about the Dubailand project, and some really crappy looking ones as well, not sure what to believe yet.

I just don't see how they expect to actually get as many tourists as this place can hold if it is as big as they say it will be.

luckyeye13

My thoughts exactly!!

Dubai is a haven for the rich, it costs a fortune to travel there so I don't expect to see alot of "Family" vacations to Dubailand.

The big worry for Walt Disney World would be the European tourists. As it is, most Americans don't even have a passport, so they are not going abroad any time soon. Even when Americans do go abroad, they tend to stick to Canada, the traditional European or Latin American destinations, Australia, or (to a slowly growing extent) a few out-of-the way places like India or China. For Europeans, however, Dubai is quite a popular destination. Although it certainly seems quite expensive for Americans, it is rather reasonable by European standards. Since the currency of the United Arab Emirates is pegged to the US dollar, when the dollar is not doing well, neither is the UAE dirham. When combined with the fact that Dubai is a tax-free area, this works out very well for Europeans who are used to higher prices and very high taxes. It is also considerably easier to get from Europe to Dubai than to Orlando, owing in large part to the number of non-stop flights from all points of Europe. In addition, Dubai is a major transit hub for passengers to connect from one flight to another. Often, passengers who have a long time between flights can get a transit visa to enter Dubai and explore. Plus, the city of Abu Dhabi, with a sizeable bit of air traffic, is only about two hours away. Even when you combine Orlando International and Tampa International Airports (heck, throw in Orlando-Sanford, for that matter), there are nowhere near the variety of flights to Europe, not even to the UK. An article that I read a few months back had predicted that Emirates would overtake American and United Airlines to become the world's largest airline. (This is despite the fact that the US carriers owe a lot of their size to the large number of domestic destinations served.) As this was before the Delta-Northwest Airlines merger was announced, I don't know if this will still be the case, however, it shows the drawing power of Dubai in getting people to come, even if just to change planes (which still works out when passengers use their transit time to go into the city).

Should WDW management be losing sleep over Dubailand? Probably not. As I had mentioned, most of the American Guests who come to WDW probably won't be hopping on a plane to Dubai in the near future. Plus, as another post mentioned, Dubailand isn't all one company in the way that WDW is. Thus, each company will likely end up doing what best serves them, without a common goal across the entire property. This really plays well into Disney's hands because, with only some pockets of exceptions, Disney gets your entire dollar and can put it towards development elsewhere on its vast property. With Dubailand, I kind of doubt that Legoland will be sharing any of its park income so that Six Flags can build a new ride. In my opinion, WDW simply needs to be aware that this project exists and to treat it as another destination that competes for tourists, rather than as a direct head-to-head competitor.

All this talk about Dubai now has me really excited, since I am actually going there for vacation at the end of the month. While there, I am going to try to find some leads for jobs (after all, they have plenty of them out there), so maybe I will try to find out if they need a Modified Work Coordinator or a Monorail pilot at Dubailand. :lol: Hopefully, if all works out (like the plane not being completely full, as I can only get on a plane if there are still seats left), I will be flying there on an Emirates Airbus A380 because I am just a dork like that.

TheDisneyMagic

I think the bigger problem for Disney Parks and Resorts is the Imagineers, how many of them will be approached and given unlimited budgets to create parts of Dubailand, where as in the States they are only given cutback after cutback.

I'm never traveling to the Middle East by choice no matter how many theme parks they have! :D

Then that is pretty saddening. The Middle East isn't one country. It isn't just Iraq. It has a rich variety of cultures. Heck its the birth place of civilisation itself!

Dubai part of the UAE has very very close relations with the west. It even sent troops into Iraq with the coalition.

It is safe. No it may not have the same freedoms and cultures as you, but then isnt that the whole point of traveling? I think it is completely ignorant to say that you would never even consider the Middle East. Btw Israel is in the Middle East, so really is Egypt to an extent. Two countries which the US happily travels to, so why not UAE?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm never traveling to the Middle East by choice no matter how many theme parks they have! :D

:shrug: And why?

I mean I would feel a LOT safer traveling to Dubai than I would feel going to parts of Detroit or L.A....just because it's in the "middle east" doesn't mean a thing.

Philo

All this WDW vs Dubai is pretty pointless. Yes Dubailand looks like it's going to be amazing but you can't compare the two. Unless I'm mistaken, Dubai land is just a big collection of parks in close proximity so you would be better off making a comparison between Dubailand and Orlando.

I don't really see a reason for Disney to be worried, people will like dubailand but you can't replace the magic of Disney. Any child is going to be a lot more exited at the thought of meeting Mickey than the idea of going to a big themepark.

jsdratm

I don't care what they build in Dubai because I'm not going there until they reform their draconic legal system. Check this out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7234786.stm

A Swiss man got 4 years in prison after eating a poppy seed roll at the airport. You can't display affection in public either. This country wants to attract tourists, yet it locks them up at every opportunity.

The law is the law. Yes i think that case was out of order, but then poppy seeds are illegal in that country. It's like taking fresh fruit into the US they scare the s**t out of you.

Mountain Dew is perfectly legal in the US, but in the EU its banned because of the chemicals in it.

bring a gun into the UK, something perfectly acceptable to carry around in the US, and you'll be locked up!

respect the laws and cultures of different countries and you'll be fine. That is what travelling is about. If you judge every country on differences, then you'd never go anywhere.

In the US you're not allowed to go around topless in public areas, in the UK there isnt much of a problem with it. Its fine in the UK, but shocking in the US. people have different levels of what is acceptable.

Learn from it and live with it.

oh...and grow up

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
Disney is an experience. The World's design is well thought out, themed right, and built to tell a story. The Dubai project is nothing more than a super-sized Six-Flags park. Sure its got the attractions, the shopping, and dining that I'm sure will be top notch (thank you Oil Dollars). But there's nothing unique, nothing magical, and nothing personal that you would be able to take away from a visit.

On the other hand it does bring about a new exposure of Western culture to a region that has in some parts been admittedly against any sort of integration of other cultures/ways of life.

We'll see....

On the other hand it does bring about a new exposure of Western culture to a region that has in some parts been admittedly against any sort of integration of other cultures/ways of life.

We'll see....
---------------------

Clearly you have absolutely no knowledge of the United Arab Emirates or its interactions with the West in the past 2 centuries....

And how the hell do you know dubailand wont be magical, well themed etc...? Yes there is a six flags park, but that isnt it. six flags is included within the great size of the whole complex. ive seen many models which include huge replicas of world landmarks in a Vegas stylee. You only have to look at palm island et al to see that theme-ing is pretty important to dubai's infrastructure...

just because it isnt in the US or disney, doesnt mean it wont be extremely impressive. It's not even built and people are claiming it won't be anything special.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom