Drive Electric Orlando to bring electric vehicles to the theme park areas

TheRabbit

I wonder, at what point do they start requiring payment for use of charging? Someone is paying for the electricity to charge these cars, how long will it be before you have to swipe a credit card to get an hour of charge, etc? Hmm...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wonder, at what point do they start requiring payment for use of charging? Someone is paying for the electricity to charge these cars, how long will it be before you have to swipe a credit card to get an hour of charge, etc? Hmm...
That is actually pretty common place for most charging stations. Disney could eventually charge, and I suspect they will once demand goes up, but at this point in time, the electricity cost would be rather minimal given the few stations they will be installing and they will most likely just write it off as a promotional expense.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes and No. I'm not the expert on this (my boss is, however. Tesla owner and all), but from my understanding that although there is a standard, Tesla makes the better system.
I have little doubt that Tesla has a better system, but if the plug (for want of a better term) is the same, it should work across the board.

DisneyCane

Trust me that somebody (not Disney) will be paying. If the customer isn't charged then one or more electric car manufacturer is paying to try and drive the market. Contrary to what electric car promoters want you to believe, the electricity is not free nor does it magically appear without needing to be produced. While it is cheaper to charge an electric car than it would to fill a gas powered car for the same distance, there is still a cost and there is no way that Disney would eat it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Trust me that somebody (not Disney) will be paying. If the customer isn't charged then one or more electric car manufacturer is paying to try and drive the market. Contrary to what electric car promoters want you to believe, the electricity is not free nor does it magically appear without needing to be produced. While it is cheaper to charge an electric car than it would to fill a gas powered car for the same distance, there is still a cost and there is no way that Disney would eat it.
In the article that @PhotoDave219 posted it said some of the hotels and partners were offering free charging. There aren't many electric cars in FL so it's more of a gimmick to promote awareness and get people comfortable with electric cars. In CA there are many electric cars and an established charger network. It would not surprise me at all if DLR installed pay chargers while the ones at WDW were free...for now. As electric cars become more mainstream in FL they will eventually start charging.

TheRabbit

True, so at what point will we see credit card readers at these charging stations? I've been to hotels across the country with one or two parking spots with chargers and none ever had you pay. So someone somewhere is paying for the electricity. Will it not be an issue until there are enough electric cars using them where it is noticable?

freediverdude

A hyperloop is for pretty long distance travel. It's supposed to go twice as fast as an airplane, if I'm correct. I don't think it'd be reasonable to go as short a distance as from Epcot to Animal Kingdom. Now if it went from WDW to Disneyland, that would be cool.

Yes, they need to build one that connects WDW and Disneyland. Being able to eat breakfast at WDW and lunch at Disneyland, now that's a vacation I would pay extra for.

AEfx

Did any of you actually check the website of the program that this falls under?

http://driveelectricorlando.com/

I'm sure folks still won't; took me a minute to find, but according to them the cost of a "full tank" is generally about $3. That's why it's "free" so far in so many places, because at this point the cost is rather negligible.

At least that's what I gathered.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm sure folks still won't; took me a minute to find, but according to them the cost of a "full tank" is generally about $3. That's why it's "free" so far in so many places, because at this point the cost is rather negligible.

At least that's what I gathered.
From the site:
"Most electric vehicle renters find the cost to be far lower than renting a gasoline-powered vehicle, because there is no need to visit a gas station. And many of our travel partners offer free charging, making for a very cost-effective rental.

Costs at other charging stations vary, but a typical electric vehicle can be completely charged for about $3.00 in total. That’s compared to $60 for a typical mid-size gasoline-powered sedan."

They are offering the charge for free to "be green" and because it is going to be seldom used. A lot of people will never need to charge the car since they aren't traveling a lot of miles.

Nubs70

If you drive your electric car to the park and plug it in while at park for 8-10 hours. The charging station is occupied with one car for 8 hours. Doesn't seem too efficient to me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you drive your electric car to the park and plug it in while at park for 8-10 hours. The charging station is occupied with one car for 8 hours. Doesn't seem too efficient to me.
Probably more likely to be plugged in at the hotel overnight instead. Also not necessarily efficient, but if it's like my office you get a good spot right by the front door;)

Most people with electric cars of their own would charge at home and not need to plug in at a theme park. The charges at the hotels are mostly for people renting electric cars as part of the program photoDave mentioned.

jt04

Honestly...

Disney..want to get a lot more traffic to Downtown Disney? Call Tesla. They will install a supercharge station there for FREE. Seeing how the nearest one is in port orange, it would draw many people to the area to recharge... and hey..maybe eat and shop!

Great idea. A Tesla station seems like a natural fit near the TTC (for MK resort guests staying on the monorail line) or near the Epcot monorail station.

MiddKid

I have little doubt that Tesla has a better system, but if the plug (for want of a better term) is the same, it should work across the board.

Most Chargepoint and Blink chargers use the "standard" J1772 connector for which Tesla provides an adapter. I used the adapter this weekend on a road trip and while it charges slow on most Level 2 chargers (~17 miles per hour) it's useful in a pinch. Leafs and Volts can use this without an adapter. Tesla used a proprietary connection because...

...they have developed their own rapid charging technology that they use at their SuperChargers. These chargers can only be used by Teslas and are free for life. Instead of 17 miles/hour charge they charge at almost 350 miles per hour at first before slowing down to top off the battery. This means that a 30 minute free charge gives you 170 miles of range. These use the standard Tesla connector which is different than the J1772 (hence the adapter above).

There are other standards such as the CHAdeMO rapid charging but that goes way beyond our conversation here. More importantly, I can finally park my car at a place where people will actually GET my license plate!!! Been thinking about taking the family of 5 on a roadtrip to Disneyland since I can drive there from WA for free using the Superchargers...

E-Ticket.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom