Downtown Disney Hilton No EMH after 2015

Jeffxz

Original Poster
I was just browsing some rates for a DD hotel and noticed that the Downtown Disney Hilton has a disclaimer that EMH is only available until Dec 31, 2015.

Has anyone heard if this is strictly limited to the Hilton, or is the the beginning of the rumored phasing out of EMH?

Hilton EMH Page

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It might simply be a case of the Hilton no longer paying Disney for the perk as I can not find this termination date on the S&D page or any of Disney's official pages.

If that termination date does start to be listed elsewhere, then I would be more inclined to think that EMH will be removed from the parks.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I understand that in past, the Swan/Dolphin and DtD basically negotiated being part of EMH in exchange for a payment. If it is going away at the Hilton (or others that have it), I assume that's just the product of the next round of negotiations. However much Disney wanted, the hotel wasn't willing to pay.

DsnyFevr

Talk is that it may be going away at all DTD and Swolphin.
I understand the swan and dolphin having magic hours as they are right in middle of Disney property but I never knew Dtd hotels got that perk at all. This makes me ill as that is only supposed to be a perk for Disney resort hotels.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I understand the swan and dolphin having magic hours as they are right in middle of Disney property but I never knew Dtd hotels got that perk at all. This makes me ill as that is only supposed to be a perk for Disney resort hotels.
They have to pay Disney for the perk. As I understand it, the other DTD hotels have to option to pay for and have the perk as well, but choose not to.

Polydweller

Most likely this is specific to the Hilton. It's only a single line on their web page and looks to me like they are in the last year of their contract and have not yet renegotiated for 2016 and beyond. They would have to make it clear they cannot promise it beyond the contracted period or otherwise they would be misleading customers.

This happens regularly in the hotels in our group that are in tourist areas. You contract to give special deals to local attractions so your hotel will have more appeal to customers. Usually contracts renew easily but sometimes the negotiations get difficult and there is no guarantee a new one will take place. Another scenario is that the contracted attraction may decide that for their business reasons they are no longer contracting the perk anymore. Either scenario could be at work here but regardless the hotel must make sure it is not misleading customers.

bethymouse

How can Disney tell that you're not a WDW Resort guest? If MK is open until 2, then you can stay until 2 unless they're taking specific hotel transportation with limited hours? :confused:

doctornick

How can Disney tell that you're not a WDW Resort guest? If MK is open until 2, then you can stay until 2 unless they're taking specific hotel transportation with limited hours? :confused:

They check your room key (i.e. scan your magic band) before you go on any rides to confirm you are a hotel guest. I don't think they throw people out, like they do during the after hours parties, but all you could do is just go to shops and eat.

mm121

They check your room key (i.e. scan your magic band) before you go on any rides to confirm you are a hotel guest. I don't think they throw people out, like they do during the after hours parties, but all you could do is just go to shops and eat.

During the parties they have checkpoints around the hub sometimes so once you go to the hub you can't get back into the further back parts of the park.

So while they dont throw people out they confine where they can go and what they can do.

GymLeaderPhil

If Shades of Green, Swan, and Dolphin make a similar announcement, then it could be an indication they're going only for WDW owned and operated.

From an operational standpoint, it's easier since their room media doesn't have anything printed on it and cannot be validated like a MagicBand. From a financial standpoint, it's an incentive to stay with Disney.

But I don't see EMH going anywhere unfortunately, because they've baked those privileges into Golden Oak residents and Guests.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If Shades of Green, Swan, and Dolphin make a similar announcement, then it could be an indication they're going only for WDW owned and operated.

From an operational standpoint, it's easier since their room media doesn't have anything printed on it and cannot be validated like a MagicBand. From a financial standpoint, it's an incentive to stay with Disney.

But I don't see EMH going anywhere unfortunately, because they've baked those privileges into Golden Oak residents and Guests.
I doubt Disney would pull the benefit from Shades...but I could see them do it to Swolphin.

Monorail_Red_77

Hmmm.... when we were at DHS for evening EMH, they never scanned our room key.

Sometimes they do not scan you magic band. This has to do with tech errors possibly. There were a few times that our bands were not scanned about a year ago. But lately, they have been scanned every time. Similar incident happened with me at last years 24 hrs event at MK. Went to park and was waived on through. There was some kind of issue. So when I presented my credit card they waived me on through without paying. Thanks Disney! :jawdrop:

Last edited:

DsnyFevr

I get it, money maker for Disney but not fair to people who stay on property with the impression it's only for resort guests.
They have to pay Disney for the perk. As I understand it, the other DTD hotels have to option to pay for and have the perk as well, but choose not to.

NiarrNDisney

Well that stinks! That was one of the reasons I like staying there though it isn't a deal breaker especially since its such a nice place to stay!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom