Down where it's Wetter, the Cupcakes are Better; Take it from Me! June 2013 TR

Hi there, good to see you! Hello, welcome! This trip report includes tales of rain, sunshine, and of course lots and lots of food!

Cast: The group this time around is the Three Amigos. There is me, the 21-year-old photographer, writer, and all around Disney-nut. I go by Emily to the Non-Disneyites in the world. Next would be my wonderful mom, Tuvalu, the extraordinary planner and guide (and just may be a bigger nut than myself)! Finally we have my dad, chauffer, Disney-convert, and bread winner that allows my mom and me to take all these trips! Unfortunately, my dad ended up having to work a lot on this trip (he considered it a working vacay), so his involvement in the TR will be somewhat limited.

Reasoning: Why not, right? Actually, we have our annual big WDW vacation scheduled for August (we take shorter jaunts to the world throughout the year, but August is always our long “vacation”). However, with my trip to Disneyland in March, I had not been back to the World since December and that was just too long! I slyly convinced my parents that we should “bookend” the summer with trips to Disney. I’m so sneaky! :D

Logistics: Since this was a short trip, it needed to be done on the cheap. Originally we were booked 4 nights at POFQ. However, that just wasn’t going to cut it, so my dad used his Hilton points to book us a free night at the Doubletree Downtown Disney on the front end of the trip. Score! But wait, it turns out the original departure date wasn’t going to correspond with Dad’s work schedule. o_O I guess we’ll have to leave a day earlier. He actually had enough points to book a 2-night stay at the Hilton Bonnet Creek. So a 4-night jaunt turned into a 6-night jaunt! :D The first 2 nights were at Hilton Bonnet Creek and the last 4 nights were at POFQ.

Alright, enough jibber jabber. Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show!

6/3: Departure day

My alarm went off at 5:45- early, but that’s okay since we were leaving for Disney! We pulled out of our driveway at 6:15 in order to avoid Atlanta Rush hour traffic. I promptly fell back asleep and awoke as we were pulling into breakfast at the glorious Chick fil A! A chicken biscuit and full bellies later, we got back on I-75 anticipating the dull drive through South Georgia. Dad had a teleconference to attend so he was shunned to the back seat while Mom and I gabbed up front (quietly, of course!).

We stopped in Gainesville for lunch at Bono’s BBQ to redeem a coupon we had received there in December. The food was out fast and delicious (love me some BBQ) and we were back on the road within a half hour. Around 2:30 we got a glimpse of this:

Hooray, we made it!

Dad checked us in and we headed up to the room. We were on the 14th floor with a view of the Studios, Art of Animation/Pop, and Epcot. The room was really nice (even better that it was free!).

Plus, it had a great pool!

Oh hey Studios/AK!

Mom and I literally threw on our suits and were out the door to try to beat the rain. Fortunately, it didn’t rain. However, it was super cloudy and we didn’t get much sun. We went around the lazy river a couple of times and then headed back inside.

I have recently gotten in to running, so I hit up the fitness center in order to cancel out some of the anticipated calories to be consumed throughout the week. Then it was time to shower, change, and head out to dinner!

We headed off property, which is usually forbidden on my Disney vacations. However, since we were staying off property and weren’t heading into a park that day, I allowed it. We ate at Pizzeria Uno which is one of our favorites. We got a deep dish with pepperoni, onion, and roasted red pepper. I was so excited to dig in that I totally forgot to take a picture! It was absolutely delish.

However, I didn’t forget to take a picture of the much anticipated dessert!

As you can tell we had a hard time finishing it.

After that, we went back to the room and had a spectacular sunset!

We watched Cake Boss and Little People, Big World before hitting the sack.

Next up: A trip to the MK and crossing food off the list!

TheMouseFan

Great pics of the Rapunzel bathroom area! It looks awesome! I can't wait to see it myself. Unfortunately, that won't be until next June.:( I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your BOG lunch. We really want to eat there, but there will be 11 of us in our group in June and I was afraid we would never get an ADR, so we were planning on just doing lunch. Can't wait to read more!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Super report - I really enjoyed the pictures! You took some great PotC shots :)
Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for reading! :D There's some better dark ride pictures to come.

Great pics of the Rapunzel bathroom area! It looks awesome! I can't wait to see it myself. Unfortunately, that won't be until next June.:( I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your BOG lunch. We really want to eat there, but there will be 11 of us in our group in June and I was afraid we would never get an ADR, so we were planning on just doing lunch. Can't wait to read more!

The Tangled Toilets are absolutely beautiful! There's so many details from the movie to take in. And you'll love BOG lunch- it'll make you wish all counter service restaurants operate that way! And with a group of 11, it'll definitely make it so much easier. Just make sure your entire party is with you in line by the time you reach the front doors because they won't let you order otherwise.

Wait, what's the snack you exited MK to cross off your list? You can't leave us hanging like that! :D

Great report! Great pics!

Thanks for reading! Snack report posting soon :p

I think she was referring to the picture above this one ;)

Haha, you are correct my friend!

Wait - the clock has a name??

Richard is a super old cast member who works in Fantasyland. I always like to see him because it means he's still kicking! ;)

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Prior to this trip, I had been reading the Disney Food Blog and Trip Reports to find some good snacks to try instead of the same old ice cream. The first snack to be crossed off: The Minnie Mousse Cupcake at Captain Cook’s. We disembarked the monorail at the Poly and grabbed ourselves one of these:

Isn’t it adorable? The mousse on the top was absolutely delicious- not too rich and it complemented the cake. The cake itself was a little dry, but when paired with the cool mousse it definitely worked.

As you can see, we had no trouble eating it :eek: ! (a theme on this trip!)

It was still raining at this point, and we knew the MK was super crowded, so we opted to head back to the Hilton. I took another run in the Fitness Center :)eek:) while my dad finished up his last business call of the day.

We then drove to Downtown Disney for a vacation staple: Earl of Sandwich and Ghirardelli! It had stopped raining and the temperature wasn’t too hot, so we opted to eat outside at Earls.

I got the usual, Earl’s Club with that sandwich sauce I would bathe in if it was socially appropriate. I believe my mom had the All American and my Dad had the Italian.

Then we walked over for dessert! I’m a little bummed they’ve stopped using the glassware and Ghirardelli. Dad and I had the Gold Rush sundae, except I asked for chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla. Unfortunately, I forgot to say no nuts. Oh well, it was still delicious.

We waddled our way back to the car and drove back to the Hilton. It was an exciting night of watching So You Think You Can Dance and the Little Couple while the rain poured outside (oh yeah, it started raining again at some point).

Up next- the best dessert ever? Is that possible?

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
6/5: MK again and the Best Dessert I’ve ever eaten!

We left Bonnet Creek property at 7:30am in order to check in at POFQ before heading to the MK! We walked in to the under-construction lobby and headed to the temporary check-in site. I know a lot of people on these boards have been worried about the construction, but it is really fine. If you weren’t checking in, you would hardly notice that the real check-in area is under refurbishment.

Have you heard the best kept Disney secret? Neither have I, since I never saw anyone sitting at the DVC desk.

Temporary check-in area.

Our room was located on the second floor of Building 2- the perfect location! Super convenient to the food court and bus stop. We hauled our luggage to the room because it was ready where I committed the biggest TR error. I took no pictures of our room! :eek: I figured I would do it later because I was hungry and wanted to eat, but I never did. I even went through my files to see if I had any old POFQ room pics- nope. Sorry, TR readers, you’ll have to find the room pics elsewhere.

We headed to Sassagoula Floatworks where I got my favorite Disney breakfast: a chocolate chip muffin!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
We scarfed breakfast down and then headed to the MK bus stop. Dad was able to clear his morning so he was able to come with us. We waited, waited, and waited for an MK bus while 4 Epcot buses came and went. Finally an MK bus showed up and luckily we got seats. The construction of the bus stops held us up a little bit in front of the Contemporary, and we arrived at MK a little after 9 am. Boo, no opening show today!

We immediately split up: Mom headed to Peter Pan to grab some Fastpasses while Dad and I veered right to Space Mountain. We waited 20 minutes for Space and I got the very back seat. Yahoo- it’s a wild ride in the back. Plus we got track Alpha, which in my opinion is far superior to Bravo!

Mom met us at the exit to Space and we meandered to Frontierland to check out BTMRR.

Walkin’ through the new walls!

Of course, I had to take some morning river shots!

The River Boat left leaving a beautiful rare shot of Cinderella Castle!!

Unfortunately, we made it all the way to BTMRR to find it wasn’t operating. We then double backed to the Haunted Mansion.

Serpents, spiders, tail of a rat- call in the spirits wherever they’re at!

The ghosts received our sympathetic vibrations and began to materialize:

They assembled for a swinging wake!

From there, we hit up it’s a small world in order to kill time before our Peter Pan Fastpass.

After that, we followed naughty Donald on his adventure to retrieve the Sorcerer’s hat. Then it was time for my favorite part of the day: lunch!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster

When we booked this trip, we made limited ADRs because we wanted to keep it fairly inexpensive. However, last month my parents ate at LTT on the 30th wedding anniversary and had the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake and absolutely raved about it. I immediately broke into my Mom’s mydisneyexperience.com account and booked us lunch so I too could experience this wonder.

But first, real food!

Mom had the Pilgrim’s feast.

Dad had the Pot Roast.

I had the Cheeseburger. I rarely order Cheeseburgers at Disney because I don’t think they are very good plus there are so many better options. However, I was just in the mood for a burger. I am so glad I ordered it- that burger was delicious! It was juicy and tender, plus Chris our amazing server brought me some BBQ sauce to put on top. Originally I wanted the fruit, but she informed me that it was cantaloupe, honeydew, and a grape. Yuck. So I got fries. Chris was sweet enough to bring me the fruit too- and she wasn’t kidding, there was one grape in the entire bowl of cut up melon.

From there we went on to the real reason for lunch: The Ooey Gooey Cake. :D

Chris snuck us out two extra scoops of ice cream with caramel and toffee bits. She was the greatest (seriously, request her at LTT). Then it was even better because our dessert formed a Mickey!

Let’s be honest, as soon as that cake was in my mouth all bets were off. My parents weren’t getting any more than the bite they had already taken. :p They gladly let me eat most of the cake while they ate the extra ice cream. THIS DESSERT IT SO GOOD. I can’t even describe how much I loved it. In fact, I may be going to book a LTT lunch for August right now…

Ooey Gooey gone. :(

When we exited lunch, it started to rain. We walked across the Hub to cash in the Fastpasses for Winnie the Pooh we must have gotten sometime earlier. Dad had to head back to POFQ to deal with a work crisis, so Mom and I slushed to Tomorrowland.

jkl2000

Now I can't wait for our dinner at LTT! I would have booked lunch (which probably makes more sense there), but we're going to eat there right before the MSEP, and it's one of the few nights the MK is open late during the time we'll be there, so we'll splurge on the all you can eat dinner, I guess. We all love turkey and stuffing, and that desert is obviously worth trying!

Well, that went so fast - looking forward to more trip report!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Now I can't wait for our dinner at LTT! I would have booked lunch (which probably makes more sense there), but we're going to eat there right before the MSEP, and it's one of the few nights the MK is open late during the time we'll be there, so we'll splurge on the all you can eat dinner, I guess. We all love turkey and stuffing, and that desert is obviously worth trying!

Well, that went so fast - looking forward to more trip report!

I have some bad news- the Ooey Gooey Cake is only available at lunch :eek:. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but dinner turns into a family style buffet and the dessert is a cobbler. I haven't tried the family feast, but I'm sure it's awesome!! And definitely stick with dinner if it fits into your schedule- maybe you can just walk-up to see if you can grab a quick dessert-only Cake trip :D. Thanks for reading!

jkl2000

To be honest, after turkey and stuffing, I don't think I'd have much room left for dessert anyway - I usually don't on Thanksgiving! ;) Those other entrees look pretty good too - how'd your Dad like the pot roast?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Gorgeous photos, @TrolleyFollower91!! HM shots are truly amazing.

Having devoured my own first OGTC last year, I have to agree with you. It is the most delicious thing in MK. And @jkl2000, you're right about being full, but I would encourage anyone to not finish their lunch entrée in order to have room for the OGTC--it is every bit as good as described--and even more!! ;)

Allie_Marie

We headed to Sassagoula Floatworks where I got my favorite Disney breakfast: a chocolate chip muffin!

[/quote]

Those muffins are the BEST muffins! This is making me want one so badly right now! I love the TR and I can't wait to continue reading! Totally random I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Little Couple! Will is adorable!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Gorgeous photos, @TrolleyFollower91!! HM shots are truly amazing.

Thank you so much!

Those muffins are the BEST muffins! This is making me want one so badly right now! I love the TR and I can't wait to continue reading! Totally random I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Little Couple! Will is adorable!
Thank you for reading! I usually eat those muffins almost every morning at WDW! :p And I LOVE the Little Couple, too! It's pretty much my favorite show.

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
We waited in line for TTA (what?!) and then saw our Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow that’s just a dream away. I could have taken a nice nap but wouldn’t allow myself to in order to save myself from the mocking that would have occurred later. Turns out my mom said she could have napped too, but didn’t want me to make fun of her. Both of us could have had a nice nap if it weren’t for our darn fear of embarrassment. From there we waited 20 minutes for Monsters inc, Laugh Floor. It ended up being a really funny show and a great break to sit down.

MK was still super crowded despite the rain, so Mom and I hopped the monorail to get a treat for her.

This little beauty:

The Dark Chocolate Coconut cupcake from Contempo Café. I have a strong dislike for coconut, so this one was all for her. She said it was absolutely scrumptious and it ended up being her favorite dessert of the trip. If you like coconut, I recommend you get one of these.

I held out for our next stop, the Poly!

Yum, virgin Strawberry Daiquiri! (I would get my adult drink on later in the week!) I relaxed in the Tambu lounge while catching up on WDWmagic news (you can never get away!). Mom then suggested walking to the TTC to catch the Express Monorail back to MK.

It was a great idea. Until it started raining.

We made it to the TTC overhang before the skies absolutely let loose. We waited for 20 minutes and then decided that it just wasn’t going to let up.

We booked it to the express monorail and then ran to get the POFQ bus. Of course, it was a bus that probably was 60 degrees. So. Cold. :confused: When we made it back to the room my dad turned the heat on for us!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Since it was, you guessed it, still raining we decided to dine in the Sassagoula Floatworks. Mom and I both had the chicken quesadilla with chips instead of rice and beans and my dad had the Muffaletta.

My mom made a critical error when packing for this trip- she forgot a sweatshirt jacket. This is our choice of raingear (since we freeze indoors) and with the anticipation of Tropical Storm Andrea, she really needed one. We checked both POFQ and PORS gift shops for one, but no luck. We had Siri take us to Walmart, but they didn’t have any either! On our way back we pulled in to some new outlets, and the VF outlet had what we were looking for. A wild goose chase, but at least Mom would be happy (therefore making the rest of us happy, too! When Mama ain’t happy…)

Dad and I stopped in the food court for some cookies and then headed back to the room. Our sweatshirt run had kept us out late and we needed rest to take on Andrea the next morning!

Up next: Slushing through the Studios!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
This little beauty:

The Dark Chocolate Coconut cupcake from Contempo Café. I have a strong dislike for coconut, so this one was all for her. She said it was absolutely scrumptious and it ended up being her favorite dessert of the trip. If you like coconut, I recommend you get one of these.

How convenient that my next stay at WDW will be at Bay Lake Tower...Contempo Café, here I come!!!

kasey1988

I have some bad news- the Ooey Gooey Cake is only available at lunch :eek:. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but dinner turns into a family style buffet and the dessert is a cobbler. I haven't tried the family feast, but I'm sure it's awesome!! And definitely stick with dinner if it fits into your schedule- maybe you can just walk-up to see if you can grab a quick dessert-only Cake trip :D. Thanks for reading!
We did supper on our previous trip and you are correct, only somewhat of cranberry cake was offered.we bookd lunch this time so I can try this oooey gooey toffee cake!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom