Down where it's Wetter, the Cupcakes are Better; Take it from Me! June 2013 TR

Hi there, good to see you! Hello, welcome! This trip report includes tales of rain, sunshine, and of course lots and lots of food!

Cast: The group this time around is the Three Amigos. There is me, the 21-year-old photographer, writer, and all around Disney-nut. I go by Emily to the Non-Disneyites in the world. Next would be my wonderful mom, Tuvalu, the extraordinary planner and guide (and just may be a bigger nut than myself)! Finally we have my dad, chauffer, Disney-convert, and bread winner that allows my mom and me to take all these trips! Unfortunately, my dad ended up having to work a lot on this trip (he considered it a working vacay), so his involvement in the TR will be somewhat limited.

Reasoning: Why not, right? Actually, we have our annual big WDW vacation scheduled for August (we take shorter jaunts to the world throughout the year, but August is always our long “vacation”). However, with my trip to Disneyland in March, I had not been back to the World since December and that was just too long! I slyly convinced my parents that we should “bookend” the summer with trips to Disney. I’m so sneaky! :D

Logistics: Since this was a short trip, it needed to be done on the cheap. Originally we were booked 4 nights at POFQ. However, that just wasn’t going to cut it, so my dad used his Hilton points to book us a free night at the Doubletree Downtown Disney on the front end of the trip. Score! But wait, it turns out the original departure date wasn’t going to correspond with Dad’s work schedule. o_O I guess we’ll have to leave a day earlier. He actually had enough points to book a 2-night stay at the Hilton Bonnet Creek. So a 4-night jaunt turned into a 6-night jaunt! :D The first 2 nights were at Hilton Bonnet Creek and the last 4 nights were at POFQ.

Alright, enough jibber jabber. Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show!

6/3: Departure day

My alarm went off at 5:45- early, but that’s okay since we were leaving for Disney! We pulled out of our driveway at 6:15 in order to avoid Atlanta Rush hour traffic. I promptly fell back asleep and awoke as we were pulling into breakfast at the glorious Chick fil A! A chicken biscuit and full bellies later, we got back on I-75 anticipating the dull drive through South Georgia. Dad had a teleconference to attend so he was shunned to the back seat while Mom and I gabbed up front (quietly, of course!).

We stopped in Gainesville for lunch at Bono’s BBQ to redeem a coupon we had received there in December. The food was out fast and delicious (love me some BBQ) and we were back on the road within a half hour. Around 2:30 we got a glimpse of this:

Hooray, we made it!

Dad checked us in and we headed up to the room. We were on the 14th floor with a view of the Studios, Art of Animation/Pop, and Epcot. The room was really nice (even better that it was free!).

Plus, it had a great pool!

Oh hey Studios/AK!

Mom and I literally threw on our suits and were out the door to try to beat the rain. Fortunately, it didn’t rain. However, it was super cloudy and we didn’t get much sun. We went around the lazy river a couple of times and then headed back inside.

I have recently gotten in to running, so I hit up the fitness center in order to cancel out some of the anticipated calories to be consumed throughout the week. Then it was time to shower, change, and head out to dinner!

We headed off property, which is usually forbidden on my Disney vacations. However, since we were staying off property and weren’t heading into a park that day, I allowed it. We ate at Pizzeria Uno which is one of our favorites. We got a deep dish with pepperoni, onion, and roasted red pepper. I was so excited to dig in that I totally forgot to take a picture! It was absolutely delish.

However, I didn’t forget to take a picture of the much anticipated dessert!

As you can tell we had a hard time finishing it.

After that, we went back to the room and had a spectacular sunset!

We watched Cake Boss and Little People, Big World before hitting the sack.

Next up: A trip to the MK and crossing food off the list!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
What a clever title! It drew me in, and your colorful writing has already hooked me (that dessert shot helped, too!)

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
6/4: MK mornings are my favorite!

We awoke to a cloudy morning, but nothing was going to stop us from going to the Magic Kingdom! Our room came with a complimentary breakfast, so we ate with Dad in the coffee shop. I had the crumb cake, Mom had the donut (and Dad had the crumb cake as well). It was a fairly good breakfast.

We said goodbye to Dad, as he had meetings all day, and made our way to the MK. We arrived at the entrance to the park at 8:20. I exchanged my paper AP for the RFID plastic card. They didn’t have Minnie, which I was a little disappointed about, so I had to settle for Donald.

Instagrammin' love!

We made our way to the center of the Mickey Floral for the best view of the Magic Kingdom Welcome Show. My mom and I have seen this so many times that we know the dance moves as well as most of the performers. This morning the Fire Chief welcomed us, however none of our favorite Trolley Kids were performing (yes, we have favorites and yes, we do talk to them).

Before we left, my Uncle gave my Mom this shirt which she proudly wore around the MK. She had told him something similar when she told him she was not visiting AK on her 30th anniversary trip in May. She got several comments throughout the day. Ironically, the cast members were more offended and other guests wanted to know where she had gotten it!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
We made our way under the tunnel and into Town Square. We saw the Trolley was waiting for guests so we hopped on board and made our way to the Hub.

Take me home, Charlie!

Through the castle we went to Enchanted Tales with Belle. We rode it in December, but were so in awe that we missed most of the details. We were determined to pay more attention this time!

I love the outside of the house- I think it is so beautiful.

I also love seeing the Castle from this angle.

We waited about 30 minutes before traveling through the workshop and into the enchanted castle.

Why hello, Wardrobe!

I love Lumiere- I swear he is real!!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Wow I love that view you had! I can't wait to read more!

Thank you! It was really cool to see the World from that perspective!

What a clever title! It drew me in, and your colorful writing has already hooked me (that dessert shot helped, too!)

Thank you!! There'll be plenty of more desserts, don't you worry! :p

Can't wait to see your pics from POFQ! Staying there in July :) :)

You'll love it! It's my all-time favorite Moderate!

tiaragirl

Love this and your Mom's shirt!

I've developed a newfound respect for AK, but given the choice I'd go to DHS or MK a month in a row before I made it there!

LeCellier.Lover

Ah I'm loving all of your pictures! That view from your room is spectacular!
And that Pizookie (Pizzacookie) as I call them looks delicious!
Can't wait to read more! :)

Tinkerbell 8

Such an awesome view from your hotel, its so cool to see just how spread out the parks are from that high up! I'm right there with you with knowing the songs/dance moves from the opening show at MK, I listen to it quite often when I'm stuck in traffic on my ipod and it puts me in a great mood instantly. Your moms AK shirt is great, although I was never a big fan of AK, I'm getting more into it. Can't wait to read the rest of your TR!!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Love this and your Mom's shirt!

I've developed a newfound respect for AK, but given the choice I'd go to DHS or MK a month in a row before I made it there!

Thanks! We definitely enjoy certain aspects of AK, but we usually only hit it on longer trips. I totally agree about DHS and MK!!

Ah I'm loving all of your pictures! That view from your room is spectacular!
And that Pizookie (Pizzacookie) as I call them looks delicious!
Can't wait to read more! :)

Thanks! That's funny you call it a pizookie because i totally called it a Skookie (skillet cookie). My mom thought it was hilarious to refer to it as Snookie...oh man ha.

Great TR
Like the pics
Love your mom's shirt!!

Can't wait to see more.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully I'll get more posted this afternoon!

Love your mom's shirt cause' I don't really care for AK either!

It's not that we don't like, we just can't find a good reason to go there! :)

Such an awesome view from your hotel, its so cool to see just how spread out the parks are from that high up! I'm right there with you with knowing the songs/dance moves from the opening show at MK, I listen to it quite often when I'm stuck in traffic on my ipod and it puts me in a great mood instantly. Your moms AK shirt is great, although I was never a big fan of AK, I'm getting more into it. Can't wait to read the rest of your TR!!

I love seeing the parks from that perspective! The only bummer was that we could hear Illuminations but couldn't see them :( it was such a tease! I totally listen to the morning song all the time too!! Thanks for reading!

foreverbelle

OMG the picture of the sunset is fabulous!! Seriously gorgeous.

And nothing compares to a free room even if its not a Disney one. That is a major score.

The opening routine looks fabulous, we have never had the opportunity to see it but may just have to!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Terrific pics! LOVE your Mom's shirt!!!!

Thanks!

I can't wait to finish your TR! It's so good so far!
Your moms shirt is too funny!

Thanks for reading!

OMG the picture of the sunset is fabulous!! Seriously gorgeous.

And nothing compares to a free room even if its not a Disney one. That is a major score.

The opening routine looks fabulous, we have never had the opportunity to see it but may just have to!

Thank you! You definitely need to see the MK Welcome Show- your life will be better for it :D

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
After our Tale was over, we wandered around The Enchanted Forest. It's just so darn pretty! :D

Can my backyard look like this, please?

Mini-Wardrobe!

Minnie-Belle!

After our Tale was over, we made our way to Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, but the wait time was prohibitive so we opted for Fastpasses.

The backside of the Mine Train is looking really good!

Then we hit up Small World where this guy was working:

I love seeing Richard!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
After taking in all the beautiful details of a restroom, we headed under the sea. I know this ride gets a lot of flak, but I absolutely love it. Would I wait 70 minutes for it? Absolutely not. However, with a Fastpass it is absolutely great!! It was one of our go-to rides in DCA, so it was a little reminder of that awesome trip!

From there we headed to get in line for Be Our Guest. The lunch here is absolutely spectacular. We think the menu is better at lunch than at dinner, so no need to worry about ADRs! We were inside the castle within 10 minutes and probably waited another 5 minutes before our order was taken. We chose to eat in the Portrait Gallery. It’s our favorite because it is so much quieter than the Ballroom but I can actually see what I’m eating (as opposed to the West Wing).

We both had the new Roast Beef Sandwich sans horseradish. Oh my word, was it delicious. The roast beef was really flavorful and sat on top of a bed of grilled onions. The only thing that would have made it even better would have been a little au jus on the side. And I don’t know why, but the French fries (excuse me, pommes frites) are so much better here than any other quick serve!

We walked to Haunted Mansion after lunch, but the line stretched all the way to the Columbia Harbor House. We continued on to Pirates of the Caribbean where we still had to wait 30 minutes, but at least it was an air-conditioned wait.

My mom suggested a ride on my all-time favorite attraction- the WDW Railroad!! As we walked to the Frontierland station, BTMRR had an 80 minute wait and Splash had a 50 minute wait. MK was definitely busy!

We just missed the train, so we had to wait on the platform for the next one. The conductor was an older gentleman who I’ve seen before. However, he began to tell us to visit the “Family Fun Circus” at the next stop. We were also informed to anticipate the opening of the “Seven Little Dwarfs Mine Train Coaster.” My favorite piece of trivia that this man told us was that they were going to put the jungle from Avatar right in the middle of the “Safari Ride” at Animal Kingdom. I realize that he was older, but shouldn’t he know the proper names of these attractions? I mean, “Family Fun Circus” isn’t even close to the proper name of Storybook Circus. I’m pretty sure cast members should be expected to know the correct names even if the information they give is false. It wouldn’t have surprised me if this guy referred to the Haunted Mansion as “The Haunted House.” Ugh, rant over.

It was on our way to the Family Fun, er, Storybook Circus that it started to rain- sideways! I threw on my rain jacket to try to take cover. As we progressed to Main Street, it started to rain even harder, to the point where the train almost came to a stop from lack of visibility. When we arrived, we hopped off, exited MK and headed over to cross off a snack from my list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom