Trip Report Double Double Dip Trip June 2017 (Completed!)

Hello all and welcome to my trip report. My husband, Brad, and I just got back from a WDW trip and a Disney cruise on the Dream. Why am I calling it a double double dip? Well, we checked in and out of WDW twice, our cruise was a double dip (2 stops at Castaway Cay), and we had 2 birthdays to celebrate. So sit back and relax and enjoy my trip report.

Dates of vacation: June 18 to July 1

Resort: Pop Century (both times)

Cruise: Disney Dream

Travelers: Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad)

I'm tagging a few people that have followed my past reports. If I missed you, sorry, but please follow anyway. If you are new, welcome. And if I tagged you and you don't want to read, no problem! :)

@figmentfan423 @MinnieM123 @Cesar R M @donaldtoo @MySmallWorldof4 @MOXOMUMD @JenniferS @PacNWTigger @Tuvalu @Gabe1 @betty rose @Songbird76 @sheriffwoody @bee @blgauger @BuddyThomas @fractal @93boomer @MouseDreaming @Wrangler-Rick @PUSH @Mr Ferret 88 @amjt660 @Minnesota disney fan

June 18: Our first day of vacation was not a Disney day. We live near Minneapolis (about 1 hour 15 min from the airport) and we decided to spend the night before at a hotel so we didn't have to get up so early. When my husband got home from work around noon we headed over to Minneapolis and went to one of our favorite spots, the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. We go here a lot and I was hoping to catch the peonies in full bloom but we missed the full bloom by about 4 days. That was disappointing as it is my favorite flower, but there were still some peonies and the roses were blooming nicely. We had a nice time walking around, and a local symphony was giving a concert so we listened to that for a bit. Hubby was pleased when they played a Star Wars medley. So here are some pictures.

The peony walk, as you can see not in full bloom.
IMG_8650.JPG

Some of the roses.
IMG_8653.JPG

IMG_8656.JPG

IMG_8661.JPG

IMG_8665.JPG

The Arboretum often has changing botanical displays and so for these might be my favorite. It is a kaleidoscope and the bowl with the flowers spins, it is fun to look through.
IMG_8666.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

After the Arboretum we headed to the Mall of America and did the Flying over America attraction since I had a 50% coupon. It is a take on Disney's Soarin. We had done the America version here before and they were running a limited showing of Flying over Canada so we opted for that. It was fine but no Disney. Although the seats at the Mall of America version are more comfortable.

Dinner that night was a the Hard Rock Cafe, we hadn't eaten at a Hard Rock in years. Neither of us could make a decision about where to eat so we settled on this since it was a few steps away from the exit of Flying over America. Now when I say settled, that soon changed when we started eating our burgers, hubs got a special Memphis burger and I had a Guinness burger. We both had herbed fries. And the meal was fantastic. Sorry no food pics of this, perhaps on another visit.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I've been wondering how the spas were on property. Maybe I'll check them out sometime. The thing is I don't want to be even gently offered products. If I want to buy something I will ask for it. But it is good to know that the Mandara spa has a soft sales approach.

Unfortunately, it's a "resort" sort of thing, and I doubt you'd ever find any spa in any hotel/resort that didn't also sell products. They have a huge markup on all that stuff, and there's usually incentives or commissions for the employees to sell those. (Think of even a regular, small town beauty salon--they all carry products for sale.).

The only places I think you could avoid a product push, might be in a more medical-type setting. For example, some medical facilities with physical therapy units, offer outpatient services such as therapeutic muscle massage. They'd be far less likely to push high-end (or any) products there, and would probably suggest a skin cream at CVS for you to buy, if they noticed your skin was on the dry side.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I had that same dessert on our cruise and didn't like it either:hungover: I felt like it was really dry and the flavors just didn't mesh well together or something? Maybe it's time to update to something better!

Loving your report!! The perfect way to spend birthdays and an anniversary.

I agree they should probably take it off the menu, but I'm sure someone likes it. And what is more pirate themed than rum!
I'm glad you are enjoying my report!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Unfortunately, it's a "resort" sort of thing, and I doubt you'd ever find any spa in any hotel/resort that didn't also sell products. They have a huge markup on all that stuff, and there's usually incentives or commissions for the employees to sell those. (Think of even a regular, small town beauty salon--they all carry products for sale.).

The only places I think you could avoid a product push, might be in a more medical-type setting. For example, some medical facilities with physical therapy units, offer outpatient services such as therapeutic muscle massage. They'd be far less likely to push high-end (or any) products there, and would probably suggest a skin cream at CVS for you to buy, if they noticed your skin was on the dry side.

You are probably right @MinnieM123 . The place I go at home is more medical, I'm even allowed to use my HSA money for it because it is billed as a medical massage. They place where I go doesn't even allow tips. It is perfect for me, no pressure just relaxation! So maybe I'll just skip the massage on vacation.

Songbird76

Brad found his shirt when we went to the Disney outlet store a day before we set sail. It was under $10 and he was so happy because he had wanted to bring his pirate dreads wig from his Halloween costume but he claims I wouldn't let him. All I did was point out that they were kind of heavy and would take up weight and space in his luggage. So anyway, he was happy to get a pirate shirt and in his size too. The cruise shirt I'm wearing in the picture I got at the outlet too for $8. As for us buying shirts to commemorate the trip, I guess we usually get one sometimes more. It depends on what we see.

The Disney Dream has two upcharge restaurants Remy and Palo. So when we did the brunch at Palo there was an extra fee for that. There is also Vanelope's Sweet Shop that is an upcahrge too based on what you order, think of it like the Confectionary & Ice Cream Parlor at the Magic Kingdom. The other table service as well as the buffet and counter service options are all included in the price of your passage. And at dinner you can order as much as you want, hence the ordering of multiple dishes and desserts. There is even a soft serve ice cream station that is included in the cruise fare, so all you can eat ice cream. The coffee shop's pastries are included too but specialty coffee is not. There are also beverage stations on the main pool deck with soda and coffee that is included in your fare as well.

There is one bar 687 that offers appetizers at an upcharge as well. But all of the upcharge stuff is clearly known to passengers before they order. There is plenty to eat of the included food. Really you could be eating all day with what is included in your fare.

I might have to look up a recipe for satay. It was really good.
We just melt peanut butter in a pan with water, stir in some garlic powder, chili paste (Sambal), and soy sauce. I've seen it also made with coconut milk if people like a sweeter taste. Really easy.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We just melt peanut butter in a pan with water, stir in some garlic powder, chili paste (Sambal), and soy sauce. I've seen it also made with coconut milk if people like a sweeter taste. Really easy.

That sounds good and very simple. I'm going to have to write that down. I went through my cupboard trying to figure out what to make for dinner and look at what I found. I think I bought this dinner kit at the start of June. I totally forgot about it. I might make it this weekend.
IMG_4678.JPG

MouseDreaming

No hammock for me today, but it makes a lovely picture.
View attachment 221184

It was close to 4 pm and it was time to head back to the ship. :(
View attachment 221183

View attachment 221185

Since the regular tram doesn't drop off directly at the gangway, we had some walking to do, but that let us do a few photo opps.
View attachment 221186

View attachment 221187

View attachment 221188

View attachment 221189

The post office on the island. I know it is open from time to time but I've never seen it open. We noticed it does have "sea mail" and air mail delivery.
View attachment 221190

View attachment 221191

View attachment 221192

What a very cool way to spend your birthday. Happy Belated!

Cesar R M

Since most SPAS are concessionaires.. so agree with the push to sell you products.
Specially since most of them get a very basic income (like 500 USD or 800 USD a month) and everything else is based on what they sell.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So remember the title of the report is double double dip, so we had our first double dip on the cruise with two stops at Castaway Cay and now we are back to WDW and our second double dip and it makes it a true double dip because we are staying at the Pop again.

IMG_1183.JPG

It's always a thrill to pass under the gates.
IMG_1184.JPG

We checked into the Pop before returning the car. Of course at about 8:30 in the morning our room wasn't ready but we decided to check and see if any room was ready before storing our bags with bell services. And since we were going to be there for one night, we really didn't care if it was close to the bus area or anything, we just wanted a room. And we were lucky there was a room ready, it was in the 70's section and a short walk to the bus stop. The cast member that helped us could have been a bit more friendly, she seemed a little disgusted with us trying to get a room early. And really we would have been okay with them saying we had to wait, we just wanted to try so it wasn't like we were being snotty with her or anything.

Anyway, so Brad and I went back to the car to drive over to the 70's building to put our bags in the room. I thought it would be a short drive because we could drive over to the next parking lot, the next turn, it was so close! By the way it is important to note, we often stay in the 70's section in the very building we are now currently assigned, our first stay we were in the 90's section and cut through the parking lot every day, the parking lot we should be headed to . Brad should know this, we have walked past this parking lot SO many times.

So Brad drives out and I tell him it is the next right turn, and he tells me no it isn't because the sign says 80's and 90's not 70's. I say it is where we need to go. I even have the map in my hand and try to show him. But he is a little snippy and sure he is correct and tells me I'm wrong. So he continues to drive to the sign that says 70's-80's parking and he drives up to the the side of the 80's building (the one in which the computer pool is in front of). We are far from our room. I point this out to him (he is in a mood for some reason, so I'm using a nice calm voice) and he snatches the map from my hand and sees that the parking lot we should use was the one I had pointed out. So he grumbles and gets turned around in this parking lot and blocked for a minute or two as a construction semi and truck block the way for a moment. We finally get over to where we pull up right in front of our building to unload our suitcases. As we turned in he makes a comment about them not having 70's on the sign so it wasn't his fault. I knew it wasn't the time to be like "I told you, you should have listened to me" so I just rolled my eyes so he couldn't see, but we did have that "I told you so conversation" when he wasn't in his little mood, because he apologized for being a baby and not listening to me. He did admit that he should have remembered where to go and once he passed the correct turn he realized I had been right but didn't want to admit it right away. :cool:
IMG_1185.JPG

So anyway, bags were now stored in the room and we had to go return the car. We had to stop for gas before returning it, and there was a nice view as I waited.
IMG_1188.JPG

This time he listened to my directions and it was an easy drive and return of the car to the Wyndham Lake Buena Vista. Now our next problem was how to get to Hollywood Studios. We could Uber (that was voted down quick by Brad), walk to Saratoga Springs and take their bus, but I inquired when the next shuttle from the Wyndham was leave and it was scheduled to be there in one minute. So we took their shuttle. It was fine, but it made me thankful for the Disney buses. It looks like their shuttle shares with a couple hotels, we stopped at another one (I think it was the Hilton) and people had been on the bus when we got on so there was probably at least one other hotel. Plus this shuttle was going to both Hollywood Studios and the Magic Kingdom, two parks worth of people wanting a spot on the bus. It got a little crowded. The shuttle did play the Disney Must Do's on tv screens, but it was the must do's from a couple years ago, so really the shuttle was a time machine. :) Like I said the shuttle was going to 2 parks but I thought that was okay because we would be passing Hollywood Studios first so that's where we would stop first right?! Nope, we went to the Magic Kingdom, actually the TTC first, waited about 5 minutes there and then to Hollywood Studios. :grumpy: Oh well, we had fastpasses lined up, and we were just there for some bonus time, but still..... Anyway, seeing that shuttles are shared between hotels, and the drop off points, I was pretty sure off property wasn't for us unless we had our own transport. Oh plus, the line at the TTC for security was like :jawdrop:, plus then having to ferry or monorail over. Nope, I'll stick to my Magic Kingdom bus stop via Disney buses. I will say though that the Wyndham did look very nice inside the lobby and the staff was friendly.

Bye-bye car!
IMG_1194.JPG

A cool Pandora promotion on the floor at the Wyndham.
IMG_1197.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So we finally arrived at Hollywood Studios and our first fast pass was ready to go for us. But we stopped at a lonely photopass photographer.
PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_403434037346.JPG

She was fun to chat with and decided to be in our photo's too, and did a selfie with us on Brad's phone. I must say we, especially me, look like total dorks in the picture.
DOUBLE DIP CRUISE 064.JPG

Then onto one of my favorites!
IMG_1199.JPG

I wanted to get a nice picture of the sign out front because for once there was no one in front of it. Well, just as I walked up a guy decided to lie down on the edge in front of the sign and him friend sat next to him. :cautious: So side shot it was then.
IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

After an exhilarating ride through the 5th dimension we continued on. Now remember we had just been on the cruise ship with basically unlimited food for 5 days and this morning all we had was a croissant (me) and a doughnut (hubs). Maybe that is why he was in a mood... Anyway, we decided we needed some food and went over to try PizzaRizzo. I know it isn't the best pizza ever, but we were so hungry it was delicious. Actually, looking back on it even without being so hungry it was decent enough pizza. We liked the theme of the restaurant too and it was super hot so the AC was nice.

We passed through the Muppets Courtyard and something looked different. No, it wasn't the plants in the fountain , we'd seen that before. Oh! The sign! and the scar from the old sign. Hmmmm....
IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

Dancing cheese! Even in Wisconsin we don't have dancing cheese!
IMG_1241.JPG

The cups were cool, I totally would have bought one if it had been for sale. Even hubs who doesn't drink coffee wanted a mug.
IMG_1243.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's a look at the pizza.
IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

A look at the dining room, I wanted to go up to the banquet room upstairs, but I was out voted by Brad and Hungry Brad who just wanted to eat his pizza.
IMG_1247.JPG

I did get a kick out of the garbage cans. There weren't many people there but one guy gave me a couple odd looks when I was taking pictures of garbage cans. That's fine, he's just not as cool as me!:cool:
IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

And look at some Star Wars construction.

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
That sounds good and very simple. I'm going to have to write that down. I went through my cupboard trying to figure out what to make for dinner and look at what I found. I think I bought this dinner kit at the start of June. I totally forgot about it. I might make it this weekend.
View attachment 221696

I had to quote myself. I made this for lunch today and it was super tasty. So if you like peanut sauce types of food and see it in the store I would recommend it. I bought it at Wal-Mart and I don't know if it is sold anywhere else. But it was nice to have all the ingredients (besides the chicken, rice and veggies) all in one spot and ready to put in the pan. Oh and hubby liked it a lot too.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After lunch we watched Muppets and then moved on to our next fast pass at Toy Story.

This reminds me of a great parenting moment we saw on our way over to PizzaRizzo. So here's the story: we were walking past the Chinese Theater by the bathrooms and in the direction of Star Tours/Muppets, when the music starts to play for the March of the First Order (or the parade of the Storm troopers as I call it). Anyway, this dad and his little girl (probably about 5-6 years old) are walking in the opposite direction. The music starts and the guy grabs the little girl's hand and starts to run saying "hurry up we gotta see them" (the storm troopers weren't even visible or even close to that area yet only the music is playing). Then the little girl stumbles but the dad doesn't slow down, and is dragging this girl on the ground for about probably a good 15-20 feet and finally her cries reach his ears and he realized she was dragging on the ground. By now her knees are bleeding and she is rightfully sobbing, all so this grown man could watch Storm troopers. It made me so angry. I know he didn't do it on purpose, but geez buddy the world wasn't going to end if you didn't get a first row look at the Storm troopers that weren't even close to that area yet. Hubs and I just watched in horror, it was like it was slow motion. I felt so bad for that little girl, now her day was ruined and would be in pain for days because of her dad. I wanted to go tell the guy how stupid he was to run for something like that and that she deserved at least a nice ice cream treat, but he did look very concerned about his daughter and was doing a nice job of comforting her. I just hope he realizes how stupid he was.

Then we rode Toy Story. I won again, someone was a little upset and was "yelling" at me to tell him my secrets. Not really yelling but forcefully asking.
IMG_1270.JPG

I saw this cute little scene near the little shop area.
IMG_1272.JPG

And looked at this area and thought about how it would be a lot different next year at this time.
IMG_1275.JPG

We went into One Man's Dream to enjoy the AC, kill some time before our next fast pass, and for me enjoy the old Disney artifacts.
IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

I found a picture of Flynn to admire. Brad caught me in the act. :inlove: #cartoonboyfriend
IMG_1296.JPG

We still had some more time to kill and the line for Starlord and Baby Groot was about 20 minutes so that was the perfect amount of time. I really didn't care about meeting Starlord, well unless it would have really been Chris Pratt then that would have been different :inlove:., but I loved Baby Groot in Guardians Vol. 2. I love that he is so cute, and I just love it when Baby Groot dances! We have similar moves. I would have been just fine with just us and Baby Groot in the picture, but it seemed rude to ask Star Lord to step out of the way. So I let him be in the picture too.
PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_403433933743.JPG

Talking to Baby Groot
PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_403434065205.JPG

And Baby Groot! I AM GROOT! I am Groot? I am Groot.
IMG_1302.JPG

Figgy1

Premium Member
After lunch we watched Muppets and then moved on to our next fast pass at Toy Story.

This reminds me of a great parenting moment we saw on our way over to PizzaRizzo. So here's the story: we were walking past the Chinese Theater by the bathrooms and in the direction of Star Tours/Muppets, when the music starts to play for the March of the First Order (or the parade of the Storm troopers as I call it). Anyway, this dad and his little girl (probably about 5-6 years old) are walking in the opposite direction. The music starts and the guy grabs the little girl's hand and starts to run saying "hurry up we gotta see them" (the storm troopers weren't even visible or even close to that area yet only the music is playing). Then the little girl stumbles but the dad doesn't slow down, and is dragging this girl on the ground for about probably a good 15-20 feet and finally her cries reach his ears and he realized she was dragging on the ground. By now her knees are bleeding and she is rightfully sobbing, all so this grown man could watch Storm troopers. It made me so angry. I know he didn't do it on purpose, but geez buddy the world wasn't going to end if you didn't get a first row look at the Storm troopers that weren't even close to that area yet. Hubs and I just watched in horror, it was like it was slow motion. I felt so bad for that little girl, now her day was ruined and would be in pain for days because of her dad. I wanted to go tell the guy how stupid he was to run for something like that and that she deserved at least a nice ice cream treat, but he did look very concerned about his daughter and was doing a nice job of comforting her. I just hope he realizes how stupid he was.

Then we rode Toy Story. I won again, someone was a little upset and was "yelling" at me to tell him my secrets. Not really yelling but forcefully asking.
View attachment 222177

I saw this cute little scene near the little shop area.
View attachment 222178
And looked at this area and thought about how it would be a lot different next year at this time.
View attachment 222179

We went into One Man's Dream to enjoy the AC, kill some time before our next fast pass, and for me enjoy the old Disney artifacts.
View attachment 222180

View attachment 222182

I found a picture of Flynn to admire. Brad caught me in the act. :inlove: #cartoonboyfriend
View attachment 222183
We still had some more time to kill and the line for Starlord and Baby Groot was about 20 minutes so that was the perfect amount of time. I really didn't care about meeting Starlord, well unless it would have really been Chris Pratt then that would have been different :inlove:., but I loved Baby Groot in Guardians Vol. 2. I love that he is so cute, and I just love it when Baby Groot dances! We have similar moves. I would have been just fine with just us and Baby Groot in the picture, but it seemed rude to ask Star Lord to step out of the way. So I let him be in the picture too.
View attachment 222174
Talking to Baby Groot
View attachment 222176

And Baby Groot! I AM GROOT! I am Groot? I am Groot.
View attachment 222184
Maybe it's a good thing I didn't wind up in your suitcase
the Rapunzel and Fylnn pic would have come home with me:oops:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We headed to Star Tours and the fast pass return was long but that was fine we were able to watch a little of the Jedi show. The lady in the scooter behind us was pretty livid about the length of the line. She kept talking about how she shouldn't have to wait in this line because she had a scooter and that was supposed to mean you didn't wait in line at all. She was older and probably really did need the scooter, but I just rolled my eyes at her thinking she had a front of the line pass because of the scooter.

Some Star Tours pictures.
IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1308.JPG

IMG_1310.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

After that we headed out of the park and over to Epcot to finish up some of World Showcase. Luckily as we walked out of Hollywood Studios we saw the boat pull up. Good timing!
IMG_1321.JPG

Someone got in a little nap.
IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

I was a little tempted to jump off at the Boardwalk and go here, but I controlled myself. I kind of regret that now.
IMG_1325.JPG

Getting ready for gondolas. Gondolas, good or bad? I haven't decided yet but I'll probably love riding them once they are up and running.
IMG_1329.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Bye boat!
IMG_1331.JPG

We didn't stop at Ample Hills because we did have another snack in mind. We wanted to try the battered Banger that was offered at the pub at the Rose and Crown. And I can't go into a pub without something to drink. A black and tan for me.
IMG_1341.JPG

We were lucky to find a stand up table at the pub and eventually we were able to move to one of the tables with seating in the pub area.
IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

We shared the banger (mistake). It was very tasty and the dipping sauce on the right was really nice. The other was regular ketchup. It was small though, next time we won't share with each other.
IMG_1336.JPG

I wanted to go see the France film. Brad thought I just wanted to walk through the pavilion, and seemed surprised I wanted to see the film. But he agreed especially since while we waited we were able to sit on a bench in the AC. We both fell asleep for a little bit towards the end of the film. We both enjoy it but with the AC and the lovely music, it is just like a lullaby.
IMG_1337.JPG

We both wanted to explore through more of the countries but it was just so dang hot and it was crowded. Being on the ship with the cool sea breezes had spoiled us. So we headed out of Epcot and back to the Pop for a mid-day break after a stop at Mouse Gear.

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Back to the Pop bus stop.
IMG_1360.JPG

At the Pop, hubs was looking for a luggage strap for his bag, he was having luggage issues. I didn't remember what he was looking for at the time, perhaps he didn't tell me or I didn't listen and I wandered off. He didn't find one but bought some medical tape to tape up his bag. That's when he found me looking at the trivia board. He told me he was unable to find a luggage strap, and had bought tape. I was like what do you mean you couldn't find a luggage strap, they are right here. I walked about two feet away and showed him the straps. He admitted he hadn't looked over there and I told him to return the tape and buy the strap. He did buy the strap but kept the tape, he thought it would be good to have in his bag. I was a little peeved because I had a roll of the same tape in my bag. Whatever, it was his money he was wasting.:rolleyes::)

The trivia board...I got all the questions correct
IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

So we walked back to the room for a quick nap.
IMG_1367.JPG

We felt a couple drips as we headed back and once we were in the room it started to storm when we woke up it was still storming.
After our nap and back to the bus stop, thank goodness for the overhangs! The lightning was crazy too!
IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

Off we went we were headed back to Epcot to make a connection to a resort. Why Epcot? I think we were hoping to ride the monorail. Needless to say the monorail was down and we had to take a bus to the TTC.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I liked your "dork" selfie on Sunset Blvd. :happy:

Too bad you couldn't convince Brad to sit in PizzeRizzo's banquet hall. The disco music would have perked him up!

Maybe next time. I just didn't want to poke the bear he was getting a little hangry. I think it was the lack of food that morning that made him that way, after lunch he was back to normal self.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom