Trip Report Don't Touch My Mustache and Other Japanese Phrases

Konnichiwa! It's been just over a month since my husband and I returned from our wonderful 10 day trip to Japan. This was definitely the trip of a lifetime for both of us that took us on a journey to Mount Fuji, Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, and of course, the Tokyo Disney Resort. It was an adventure full of ups and more ups. I hope that each one of you enjoys this journey with me because I plan on detailing it all for you. I hope this trip will inspire all of you to broaden your Disney horizons and head over to the Land of the Rising Sun.

First though, if you are interested in how I did my planning (and yes, I did all of it on my own), check out my pre-trip report that is located here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/konnichiwa-yall-were-going-to-japan.884605/

The cast of characters for this trip was pretty simple. It was me (Rachel) and my husband (Jordan). I've gotten the question of what made me want to go to Japan quite a lot since we've gotten back. The truth is that my husband wanted to go. I always thought Japan would be neat to visit...eventually. There were a lot of other places on my bucket list to visit first, but last summer my husband convinced me to head over to Japan. He loves the culture and video games. So, while he chose the location, I made all the plans. By making the plans I became more and more excited about what waited for us across the Pacific. Plus, I kind of got to choose what we were going to do, which just so happened to be visit Tokyo Disney for two days.

Now I am very much a 'can't see the forest for the trees' type of person, and my husband doesn't even know a forest has trees half of the time. It works very well for us when we recognize each other's strengths and weaknesses. This trip turned out to be an excellent balance for us. When we left for Japan I had 8 typed pages of things to do in each city (that did not include my list of attractions at Tokyo Disney Resort), including train stops, addresses, cost, and descriptions of each site. While I am so glad that I had this list it actually caused me some anxiety. 'What if we don't do everything on the list? Which is the most important to me? To him? Why is nothing at the same train stop? Why does this book list this site in Central Tokyo but this book has it in Western Tokyo? Which ones are we going to on what days?' As much of a planner as I try to be, I just couldn't bring myself to piecing it all together on a map and detailing day by day what we were going to do. We were leaving with at least ideas of places to go, so I thought that surely that was good enough for now.

Monday, May 26

The night before we left I barely slept at all. I was so nervous and excited at the same time, which really just resulted in feeling restless, uneasiness, and just wanting to get on with it. I would almost liken it to the night before I got married, but I slept like a baby that night. My alarm went off at the horrible time of 4:30 AM. It really is a time that shouldn't exist, but fortunately adrenaline and excitement quickly kicked in for both of us. We were out the door by 5:30 AM for a 7:00 AM departure from Chattanooga. We only had an hour to get through security and our bags checked in Chattanooga, but I wasn't expecting any issues. In the scanner sometime suspicious showed up on my rear. I wanted to tell the TSA agent that it was just a wedgie, but she patted me down anyways. We flew from Chattanooga to Atlanta. We had a straight shot from Atlanta to Narita airport in Tokyo. However, once we arrived in Atlanta we had a five hour layover. We could have driven to Atlanta and back and half way there again during our layover time, but it was $50 more to fly out of Chattanooga and my parents were able to pick up my car. So off to the international terminal we sat and ate and lounged and paced and sat and ate until it was time to leave.

Our plane to Narita was definitely the largest plane either of us had ever been on, which is to be expected. However, I couldn't believe how crowded it was. When I chose our seats I googled the plane layout to see which seats were the best. The plane had a 3-4-3 layout of the seats, except in the back. As the plane narrowed in the back the seats changed to a 2-4-2 layout. I chose the first row of 2-4-2 seats. I'm so glad that I did! That meant that it was only Jordan and I together. Plus, we had about 2.5 feet between us and the window. It was just empty space. I was able to eventually put our stuff there instead of under the seats in front of us. Plus, it became my standing space when my legs couldn't take sitting anymore. I was just tall enough to fit right under the overhead compartment standing there. The only down side is that I didn't have a window to put my pillow against to sleep.

Here's us at takeoff. Sayonara, America!

TDR-1.jpg

Here's our extra space:

TDR-2.jpg

The takeoff was a bit of a bumpy ride. There was a lot of movement in the back of the plane, and it felt like it took awhile until the plane finally stopped fishtailing. Not long after we took off drink service started. Complimentary drinks, including alcohol, were offered for the flight. I asked for a glass of wine in hopes of getting to nap away that 4:30 wake up time. They were not stingy with the box wine on the plane. It didn't help though, so I went for the free entertainment. There was an impressive movie selection that would have definitely kept me occupied for the entire flight there and back. I opted for Monument's Men. It was okay. For such a wonderfully funny cast the humor felt forced and the timing was awful. Plus, it really shouldn't have been a comedy. The story is incredibly though.

Midway through the movie our first meal was served. I opted for beef stroganoff that was served with a salad, shrimp cocktail, a roll, and a brownie. I think the other option was chicken stir fry. The stroganoff wasn't took bad. It was heavy on the pepper but that didn't bother me. The brownie and roll however were not good.

TDR-3.jpg

Jordan asked for some sake with his meal. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I was surprised by the size of the bottle.

TDR-4.jpg

I really didn't get much sleep on the 13 hour flight. I spent the rest of it by playing mahjong tiles, trying to sleep, listening to music, and watching Star Trek Into Darkness for the 2nd time (I just really liked it, and I think Jordan looks like Bones). About 5 hours after the first meal our snack was served, which was a small turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, and milano cookies. About an hour before we landed we were given breakfast. I had eggs, which were just not good. I didn't even make any notes on the breakfast. I drank orange juice. That's about all I remember.

Finally, we spotted land.

TDR-5.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
School let out around 2:30 for the day. However, in Japan most students stay until 5 for tutoring from their teachers. We left around 3 with the group we were there with and one of the students. His name is Tomoaki. Tomoaki is a senior and was in Jordan's group during lunch, and apparently he loves to play tour guide to Americans. He asked if he could show us around some of Tokyo that night. We told him sure. On our way to the train station we went by his house to drop off his bike. We actually got to go inside a home in Japan! It was an experience that we were very grateful for. The director of the camp told us that in the 8 years he has been working with students he has never been invited into someone's home. Not only did Tomoaki invite us in, but he also made snow cones for us.

Tokyo-17.jpg

Honestly, you will have to forgive me for the majority of this post. After we left Tomoaki's place we decided that we were going to go grab dinner at his favorite ramen shop. I have no idea where we were at times during this particular night. We were just letting a local take us around. He took us to a small shrine near where we were going to eat. I have no idea what it was called.

Tokyo-19.jpg

Tokyo-20.jpg

All of this was just through a doorway adjacent to a busy shopping center. I really liked that in all of the hustle and bustle of these busy cities there were these quiet little areas found all throughout.

Tokyo-21.jpg

Tokyo-22.jpg

When we reached his favorite ramen shop, Tomoaki showed us the ropes of ordering there. This box on the outside showed what booths were currently open.

Tokyo-23.jpg

To order you used pressed what you wanted the machine. It included whether you wanted a single order of ramen, a refill, and what additional sides you might want for your ramen, such as mushrooms or a boiled egg.

Tokyo-24.jpg

The bathroom was unisex. I'm not exactly sure what all of this said or why there were so many toilet paper receptacles, but I just tore off what was already started.

Tokyo-25.jpg

We took our tickets to where we were going to sit. This place is perfect if you want to enjoy a bite by yourself. If you feel like socializing, which we were there to do, just fold back the wooden dividers.

Tokyo-26.jpg

From there pieces of paper were at each seat (they offered English papers!). These papers allowed you to state how you wanted your noodles cooked, if you wanted garlic, if you wanted them spicy, and so on.

Tokyo-27.jpg

Once you placed the paper and pushed the button, someone would come and retrieve the paper and your ticket. Once your order was ready they would just bring it to you. There was actually a wooden slat in front of you that the staff opened to bring your food. So we never saw the kitchen staff unless we were getting our food or asking for more. Each table also had cups and its own water faucet too.

Tokyo-28.jpg

Once our food came it was just a big soupy mess, but wow it was delicious! This was not your college ramen. Jordan and I would have probably found some more ramen places earlier in our visit if we had known that we were going to enjoy it this much.

Tokyo-29.jpg

Mine had mushrooms and pork slices in it. The red specks are the hot sauce that I asked for. It was the perfect amount of spice. My sinuses were very clear after dinner.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
From there we experienced a 7-floor electronics store.

Tokyo-30.jpg

Tokyo-35.jpg

Our favorite part of the store was the $40,000 massage chairs located near the top floor. We stayed in those for a bit. It was definitely something that we may consider for a future investment.

After the electronics store our group split up and Tomoaki took us around to some places that we wanted to see. Our first stop was Harajuku. This is a fashion district for the hip youngsters. Gwen Stefani actually mentions "Harajuku girls" in one of our solo hits.

Tokyo-37.jpg

This place was honestly just a long alleyway with several off shoots.

I think these would be considered Harajuku girls.

Tokyo-39.jpg

This was the craziest store that we saw in Harajuku, and yes, Jordan and I came back here a few days later to check it out because it was too bizarre not to. These costumes were actually very cheap. Most of what you see was between $20-50.

Tokyo-40.jpg

Tokyo-41.jpg

The graffiti on the left of this picture is completely intentional. Apart from intentional graffiti that we saw on a few storefronts we maybe saw graffiti two other times. One of those was in Osaka (which is incidentally famous for the yakuza).

Tokyo-42.jpg

Tokyo-43.jpg

Outside of Harajuku was this temple that we wanted to go and explore. I'm pretty sure it was the Meiji-jingu Shrine but don't quote me on that. Tomoaki was very apprehensive about going in so late. He told us that it was haunted. We told him it was fine. Of course to him saying something is haunted has a lot more to do with ancient superstition, but I would have been totally okay with seeing some Japanese ghosts.

Tokyo-44.jpg

Tokyo-48.jpg
Tokyo-49.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
As we continued on our journey of literally crossing off half of our site-seeing list in a matter of 4 hours, we did see the Lotus Centre.

Tokyo-52.jpg

Tokyo-53.jpg

Tokyo-54.jpg

Tokyo-55.jpg

Throughout all of the cities that we visited this was carved out into the pavement and in the metro and train stations. We assumed that it was for blind individuals, but Tomoaki confirmed for us that it was.

Tokyo-56.jpg

We walked through Shinjuku, which is one of the shopping districts in Tokyo. There were so many upscale stores around the area.

Tokyo-57.jpg

We walked through Shinjuku just taking the area in to get to Shibuya. Shibuya is home to another shopping district, one of the busiest intersections in the world, and this station.

Tokyo-65.jpg

This is Hachiko. This was on our must-see list. One of our favorite shows is Futurama. One of our favorite episodes is entitled "Jurassic Bark". A quick run-down: The main character, Fry, was a pizza delivery guy in the 20th century. He accidentally gets frozen in a cryogenics lab for 1,000 years. During this episode he takes his friends to a museum exhibit where he sees a fossilized dog. He realizes that the dog was his dog back in the 20th century and manages to get the dog in his possession. The episode keeps flashing back to his relationship with the dog. Anyways, the professor he works for can clone the dog, but just before they are about to clone the dog they find out he died at the age of 15. Fry stops the cloning process because he had the dog when the dog was 3. He says that the dog probably went on to have a new life and new family. The closing scene of the show shows the dog outside of the pizza place faithfully waiting for his owner to return as the years roll by. The last thing you see is the dog lie down and close his eyes. Rips my heart out each time.

The story of Hachiko is that he followed his owner to this very train station each day and waited for his owner to return from work. He continued to wait at the station for him even after his owner passed away. This statue has become a popular meeting place in Tokyo.

Last edited:

coachwnh

Back to the monkey photos. There was a little pond for the monkeys to go swimming. It was hot enough that it was tempting to go in there too. Then, I would have died from a horrible infectious disease, but it was just that hot. Anyways, the monkeys loved to belly flop into the water. It was adorable.

Kyoto-102.jpg

Kyoto-103.jpg

Then, Jordan wanted me to get down near the monkeys. TERRIFIED!

Kyoto-104.jpg

PLEASE DON'T RIP MY FACE OFF!

Kyoto-105.jpg

Even with the monkeys out of the picture, the park offered some wonderful views of Kyoto.

Kyoto-106.jpg

Kyoto-107.jpg

Kyoto-108.jpg

Kyoto-109.jpg

Kyoto-110.jpg

Kyoto-111.jpg

Kyoto-112.jpg

Kyoto-113.jpg

Kyoto-114.jpg
Awesome views!

coachwnh

After we took in Kyoto station one last time we hopped on a train for Osaka. From the outset I didn't really care about going to Osaka. The only day that we had to go was on a Monday, and the only place that I cared to go check out in Osaka (Tompozan Harbor Village) was closed on Mondays. Jordan wanted to go, so off we went for half a day. We arrived at 10 AM and surprise, surprise it was hot!

Since we weren't able to check out Nijo castle in Kyoto, we wanted to check out Osaka castle.

Osaka-1.jpg

The castle is accessible through a large park. The park was huge. I really loved finding areas like this all throughout the major Japanese cities that we visited.

Osaka-3.jpg

Osaka-4.jpg

Osaka-5.jpg

Osaka-6.jpg

Osaka-7.jpg

Osaka-9.jpg

Osaka-10.jpg

Osaka-11.jpg
Love these pictures!

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Absolutely love this trip report. The pictures are fantastic. Getting to experience the school was awesome.

Thank you again! The school was really neat to experience. In many ways teenagers were still teenagers in Japan, but it was overall a very wonderful experience being able to engage with them. For freshman in high school they had some pretty tough questions for us.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
After we visited Hachiko we decided to cross the intersection at Shibuya several times just to get the experience. This is one of the busiest intersection in the world as far as pedestrians are concerned. Keep in mind that these photos were taken on a Tuesday night around 9:30.

Tokyo-67.jpg

Tokyo-70.jpg

We caught the subway over to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. If you want a good view of the Tokyo skyline go here! Until 2007 it was the tallest building in Tokyo. For prime views of the city Tokyo Tower charges quite a bit of money, but a trip to the top of this building is absolutely free! That's one of my favorite words! The building closes at 11 PM for visitors though, and we made it with not much time to spare. The panoramic views of the city were amazing! It was beautiful at night, but I do wish that we could have been able to see it during the day to see more detail of the city.

Tokyo-72.jpg

Tokyo-73.jpg

Tokyo-74.jpg

Tokyo-75.jpg

Tokyo-76.jpg

At this point in the evening we parted ways with Tomoaki. I kept asking him if he should call his mom to let her know that he was out with two American strangers he just met, but he kept telling me that it was fine. We crawled into bed around midnight only to have another early morning to make it back to the high school.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
We had another packed day at the high school. This time a band came in to play for the students. We actually met up with the band later on that evening. We told Tomoaki that we would wait around for him to go to a few more places together.

As we were leaving the high school we saw these kids walking. Look at how adorable they are! I could just take them all home with me.

Tokyo-148.jpg

I told Tomoaki that one of the things on my list was to go to the Yasukuni Shrine. A few days before we left for our trip we met with a professor at one of our local universities to get some advice on travelling to Japan. He told us the one place we can't miss in Tokyo was the Yasukuni Shrine. I had already had it on my list, but this convinced Jordan to go. This shrine was built to commemorate Japan's war dead. It is believed that 2.5 million spirits are enshrined here. This is also a very controversial site because out of the 2.5 million souls enshrined, 14 of them are Class A war criminals from WWII. While I was on the edge with excitement about the shrine, Tomoaki couldn't understand my fascination with it. Beside the shrine is the Yushukan museum, which details Japan's military history.

Tokyo-149.jpg

Tokyo-150.jpg

Tokyo-151.jpg

Tokyo-152.jpg

Tokyo-153.jpg

Tokyo-155.jpg

We had some pastries to eat while we were there too. We picked these up at the train station right after we left the school. Tomoaki forbade us from eating them until we could find a table. It is a big no-no to eat on the trains and subways. It was perfectly acceptable on the bullet train though.

Tokyo-156.jpg

Tokyo-157.jpg

Tokyo-158.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
This was used on the Burma Railway, you know, the one that's also nicknamed the Death Railway. Over 100,000 of combined laborers and POWs died in the construction.

Tokyo-159.jpg

Tokyo-160.jpg

Tokyo-161.jpg

Tokyo-162.jpg

Tokyo-163.jpg

The amazement and curiosity that I had for this place was palpable. I really wish that my mom could have experienced TDR with me, but this was definitely where I wish that my dad could have been with me.

A Howitzer that was used on Okinawa, I believe.

Tokyo-165.jpg

Tokyo-167.jpg

Tokyo-168.jpg

Tokyo-169.jpg

Tokyo-170.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
All of those things were located in the lobby of the museum. Unfortunately, we arrived too late to go into the rest of the museum, but I made Jordan promise to bring me back the next day. We went outside to explore the area and see all of the statues built as memorials. The first one really shocked me. I looked at Tomoaki and asked, "Is that a kamikaze?" He said, "Yes, they were very brave." "Yeah, that's a word for it." I really couldn't believe what I was seeing, and I could believe how nonchalant Tomoaki was about it. Then again, he really didn't understand why I found that place to be so fascinating.

Tokyo-172.jpg

Tokyo-173.jpg

Tokyo-174.jpg

Tokyo-175.jpg

Tokyo-176.jpg

Tokyo-177.jpg

At this point we parted ways from Tomoaki. He needed to head home to study for his entrance exams for the universities. They basically consisted of multiple tests with only one being a general knowledge test and others being essays.

Tokyo-178.jpg

Before he left we had a small little gift for him. Tomoaki actually owns a business that he operates from home. We told him that in the U.S. it isn't uncommon for business owners to put the first dollar that they make on their desk, in their office, or somewhere in their place of business. So, we wished him all the best of luck, told him to come stay with us if he comes to the U.S. again, and gave him $1 US. About two weeks later he sent us a picture of it on his desk.

10429593_522790071160748_1020739223_o.jpg

DisSplash

Still loving your report. Your photos are fabulous and the fact that you got yourselves a personal tour guide to see some Tokyo "hot spots" is really awesome! That ramen noodle place looks delicious too!

Loved the museum with the WWII monuments and displays (a history major here). It's certainly a different perspective on that event to see it from the eyes of another country. I've been to Pearl Harbor along with a lot of Japanese tourists and I had always wondered what they thought about that monument, and what they were thinking upon viewing that museum. It really makes you stop and think.

I loved your Tokyo photos - so did you end up getting one of those $20-50 costumes? Would make a great Halloween outfit!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom