Trip Report Don't Touch My Mustache and Other Japanese Phrases

Konnichiwa! It's been just over a month since my husband and I returned from our wonderful 10 day trip to Japan. This was definitely the trip of a lifetime for both of us that took us on a journey to Mount Fuji, Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, and of course, the Tokyo Disney Resort. It was an adventure full of ups and more ups. I hope that each one of you enjoys this journey with me because I plan on detailing it all for you. I hope this trip will inspire all of you to broaden your Disney horizons and head over to the Land of the Rising Sun.

First though, if you are interested in how I did my planning (and yes, I did all of it on my own), check out my pre-trip report that is located here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/konnichiwa-yall-were-going-to-japan.884605/

The cast of characters for this trip was pretty simple. It was me (Rachel) and my husband (Jordan). I've gotten the question of what made me want to go to Japan quite a lot since we've gotten back. The truth is that my husband wanted to go. I always thought Japan would be neat to visit...eventually. There were a lot of other places on my bucket list to visit first, but last summer my husband convinced me to head over to Japan. He loves the culture and video games. So, while he chose the location, I made all the plans. By making the plans I became more and more excited about what waited for us across the Pacific. Plus, I kind of got to choose what we were going to do, which just so happened to be visit Tokyo Disney for two days.

Now I am very much a 'can't see the forest for the trees' type of person, and my husband doesn't even know a forest has trees half of the time. It works very well for us when we recognize each other's strengths and weaknesses. This trip turned out to be an excellent balance for us. When we left for Japan I had 8 typed pages of things to do in each city (that did not include my list of attractions at Tokyo Disney Resort), including train stops, addresses, cost, and descriptions of each site. While I am so glad that I had this list it actually caused me some anxiety. 'What if we don't do everything on the list? Which is the most important to me? To him? Why is nothing at the same train stop? Why does this book list this site in Central Tokyo but this book has it in Western Tokyo? Which ones are we going to on what days?' As much of a planner as I try to be, I just couldn't bring myself to piecing it all together on a map and detailing day by day what we were going to do. We were leaving with at least ideas of places to go, so I thought that surely that was good enough for now.

Monday, May 26

The night before we left I barely slept at all. I was so nervous and excited at the same time, which really just resulted in feeling restless, uneasiness, and just wanting to get on with it. I would almost liken it to the night before I got married, but I slept like a baby that night. My alarm went off at the horrible time of 4:30 AM. It really is a time that shouldn't exist, but fortunately adrenaline and excitement quickly kicked in for both of us. We were out the door by 5:30 AM for a 7:00 AM departure from Chattanooga. We only had an hour to get through security and our bags checked in Chattanooga, but I wasn't expecting any issues. In the scanner sometime suspicious showed up on my rear. I wanted to tell the TSA agent that it was just a wedgie, but she patted me down anyways. We flew from Chattanooga to Atlanta. We had a straight shot from Atlanta to Narita airport in Tokyo. However, once we arrived in Atlanta we had a five hour layover. We could have driven to Atlanta and back and half way there again during our layover time, but it was $50 more to fly out of Chattanooga and my parents were able to pick up my car. So off to the international terminal we sat and ate and lounged and paced and sat and ate until it was time to leave.

Our plane to Narita was definitely the largest plane either of us had ever been on, which is to be expected. However, I couldn't believe how crowded it was. When I chose our seats I googled the plane layout to see which seats were the best. The plane had a 3-4-3 layout of the seats, except in the back. As the plane narrowed in the back the seats changed to a 2-4-2 layout. I chose the first row of 2-4-2 seats. I'm so glad that I did! That meant that it was only Jordan and I together. Plus, we had about 2.5 feet between us and the window. It was just empty space. I was able to eventually put our stuff there instead of under the seats in front of us. Plus, it became my standing space when my legs couldn't take sitting anymore. I was just tall enough to fit right under the overhead compartment standing there. The only down side is that I didn't have a window to put my pillow against to sleep.

Here's us at takeoff. Sayonara, America!

TDR-1.jpg

Here's our extra space:

TDR-2.jpg

The takeoff was a bit of a bumpy ride. There was a lot of movement in the back of the plane, and it felt like it took awhile until the plane finally stopped fishtailing. Not long after we took off drink service started. Complimentary drinks, including alcohol, were offered for the flight. I asked for a glass of wine in hopes of getting to nap away that 4:30 wake up time. They were not stingy with the box wine on the plane. It didn't help though, so I went for the free entertainment. There was an impressive movie selection that would have definitely kept me occupied for the entire flight there and back. I opted for Monument's Men. It was okay. For such a wonderfully funny cast the humor felt forced and the timing was awful. Plus, it really shouldn't have been a comedy. The story is incredibly though.

Midway through the movie our first meal was served. I opted for beef stroganoff that was served with a salad, shrimp cocktail, a roll, and a brownie. I think the other option was chicken stir fry. The stroganoff wasn't took bad. It was heavy on the pepper but that didn't bother me. The brownie and roll however were not good.

TDR-3.jpg

Jordan asked for some sake with his meal. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I was surprised by the size of the bottle.

TDR-4.jpg

I really didn't get much sleep on the 13 hour flight. I spent the rest of it by playing mahjong tiles, trying to sleep, listening to music, and watching Star Trek Into Darkness for the 2nd time (I just really liked it, and I think Jordan looks like Bones). About 5 hours after the first meal our snack was served, which was a small turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, and milano cookies. About an hour before we landed we were given breakfast. I had eggs, which were just not good. I didn't even make any notes on the breakfast. I drank orange juice. That's about all I remember.

Finally, we spotted land.

TDR-5.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Tuesday, May 27

We arrived at Narita around 4:00 PM on Tuesday afternoon. The countryside flying into Narita was beautiful! Rice fields were neatly lined up around the airport and everything was so green. One of the flight attendants commented that I looked as fresh getting off the plane as I did when I got on. I didn't know how because I definitely wasn't feeling fresh by that point. It had been a good 24 hours since we left our little home. The airport wasn't very busy at all, and Jordan and I eventually found ourselves near some secluded bathrooms. We had to go of course, and I was curious to see what Japanese toilets were like.

Look at all of the buttons!

TDR-6.jpg

I just had to try the buttons, so I pressed the one that seemed most like what a bidet would do. Well there was a bit of a sprinkle, which was awkward. Next, I pressed the shower button. I turned around to see this nozzle come up and out of the back of the toilet bowl. At this point I am moving out of the way. Then, it starts spraying water. Fun fact: the water will spray about three feet in the air when it is unobstructed. I was so glad that I was in the bathroom alone because I started screaming and then laughing so hard. I was wearing a maxi skirt for the trip, which ended up practically soaked from the experience. Fortunately, even with all of the buttons the bathrooms are still equipped with toilet paper, which I used to clean up all the water. I also took a picture of the nonwestern style toilets found in women's bathrooms. I was told that these are also called high drops, although I'm not sure if that's true. I never tried one of these.

TDR-7.jpg

Getting through customs was a breeze. Everyone spoke enough English so that we could understand what we needed to do. After we collected our luggage I wanted to find an ATM because I kept reading over and over again that a lot of places in Japan do not take credit cards. I found a CitiBank ATM and tried numerous times to withdraw money. I kept getting denied. I had called our bank and credit card company before we left to let them know that we were traveling out of the country. I couldn't think of a reason for our card failing other than maybe our card just wasn't going to be accepted in Japan. As panic set in Jordan pulled me out of line to try and talk some sense into me. All I could think about was how we were going to starve while we were there and have to resort to begging on the street and how I was so dumb for not exchanging money at the airport in Atlanta even though the fees were ridiculous. Fortunately, a pilot had been waiting for the ATM behind us and told me that that particular ATM had been having difficulties lately, but there were other ATMs around the corner that should work. Off around the corner we went and found working ATMs. 7/11 ATM to the rescue! Okay that's the first crisis solved.

From there we went to the Airport Limousine line. We took an Airport Limousine bus to our hotel from the airport. We had a 45 minute wait until the next bus that left for our hotel. Here is the website that lists the areas where Airport Limousine bus serves: http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/narita/index
This company was super convenient to use. Our hotel was on the Shin-Urayusa line and not the line for the Tokyo Disney Resort. That was a good thing though because we would have barely had enough time to make the last bus to the Tokyo Disney Resort area, but Shin-Urayusa was serviced for several hours after buses going to Tokyo Disney. The trip cost $24 per person and was well worth the cost for an hour drive into the city that took us straight to our resort. While we were waiting for the bus we met a nice guy from Hawaii. His wife was from Japan and had not been there in 20 years. Their daughter just graduated from high school and said that she wanted to go to Japan for a graduation present. He was very nice to talk to and put a lot of our fears about traveling in Japan to rest.

PolynesianPrincess

YES!! I've been waiting for this! :)

Look at those fancy schmancy toilets! How come we don't have those here?!? lol

I flew to Zurich once and the flight was 8 hours and it was brutal! I don't know if I could do 13... lol

Can't wait to read the rest!

sweetpee_1993

Yeah, I keep going back to the lady urinal as well as the other potty picture...I'll be honest...I'd be a bit intimidated with the whole bathroom situation in Japan.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
We need those toilets here. LOL

They were really neat. Unfortunately, they had so many buttons and no English. I had trouble finding the flush on one of them. Each one that we saw was different.

YES!! I've been waiting for this! :)

Look at those fancy schmancy toilets! How come we don't have those here?!? lol

I flew to Zurich once and the flight was 8 hours and it was brutal! I don't know if I could do 13... lol

Can't wait to read the rest!

Thanks! I'm glad that I finally got to this. The toilets were super fancy and always CLEAN! 13 hours was brutal, but I was so glad that we didn't have any layovers going out there. There was a guy two rows behind me that was at least 6'5 and 280. I felt so bad for him.

I'm hanging on every word!

Woo-Hoo! Thanks!

Can't wait to read more!

Thanks, fishy! Going to Japan is a great way to spend some retirement time.

I'm squeeing a bit that you started posting.

Like, I've been checking for this report - for what seems like forever. I just want to know how amazing it was!!!

It was so amazing, and I'm so glad that you have been waiting for it. Sorry to have kept you waiting, but I can't wait to share all of it!

Is that a lady urinal?!? :eek:

Umm, yes. I saw a lot of women use these. I wouldn't even know where to start. There were many times that I would walk into a stall and walk right back out until a much easier toilet came open.

Yeah, I keep going back to the lady urinal as well as the other potty picture...I'll be honest...I'd be a bit intimidated with the whole bathroom situation in Japan.

They were intimidating, some much more so than others. Plus, they got even more complicated than that one. After my first experience I got a little shy about pressing all the buttons.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
So we rode the Airport Limousine bus for about an hour until we reached our resort. We were staying at the Palm & Fountain Terrace Hotel. The Palm & Fountain Terrace Hotel is considered a Tokyo Disney Resort Partner Hotel. It was by far the cheapest of the Partner Hotels too. Basically what that meant is that we were able to purchase Tokyo Disney tickets at the resort, received free transportation to and from the resort, and the resort had a Disney store on site. We chose to stay at the Fountain for no other reason than that is what I picked. Each resort has a different theme, but other than the exterior of the hotels, I don't think that there is much of a theme. When we arrived we were checked in very quickly. There was a language barrier present, but pointing is universal. When all of you go to Japan make sure you have all of your reservations printed out. That takes away any and all language barriers you might have initially. Also, make sure you have your passport on you at all times. Each hotel asked for our passports. We checked in easily and quickly. Then, it was time to ask to buy tickets to Disney. This took a few different ways of trying to say it before the receptionist understood what I wanted. Here's the thing about tickets to Tokyo Disney Resort: they are a planner's dream! If you want to wake up and decide where you are going to go for the day, this is not for you. I told her that I wanted two tickets for two days, one at Tokyo Disneyland and one for Tokyo DisneySea. I had to point on a calendar what day I wanted to go to each. TDR tickets do not allow you to park hop (unless you buy like 4 days worth of tickets and then you can park hop after the 2nd day or something like that). I had checked multiple crowd calendars and decided to visit TDL on Wednesday and TDS on Thursday. I'm glad this worked out that way because I wanted to save TDS for last anyways. On Thursday a new castle show was officially premiering at TDL. Crowds were expected for that day, so knowing that we had limited time, I opted to skip the new castle show for lighter crowds at TDS.

Before I get to the room I also need to mention that before we left I ordered a Mifi device from this company: http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/index.html. They were awesome to work with. I opted to have our device (basically we became a hotspot) delivered to our hotel. I received a tracking notification two days before we left that our device had arrived at the resort. As soon as we were checked in the receptionist retrieved our package for us. This device was a lifesaver for us. I seriously don't know how we would have gotten anywhere without it. Once we turned it on we put our phones in airplane mode (so that we wouldn't use any data) and turned on the wifi manually in the settings. The device worked perfectly.

Now to the room. We were located on the third floor just off of the elevator. I was worried about noise, but that was never an issue. When we walked in the door immediately to our right was the bathroom.

TDR-12.jpg

There was a separate room for the toilet.

TDR-13.jpg

Since there is a lot of fascination with the toilets, I'll take a moment to comment on them. They were awesome! The toilet seat on this one was always warm. Yes, heated toilet seats! There were a few others that would warm when you sat on them. This toilet has a sink on the back of it. When you flush the water that is going to fill the bowl comes out of the faucet first. That way you can go ahead and wash your hands. The Japanese are nothing if not efficient. I did not see this feature on any other toilets, but I know it exists elsewhere. The flush on the toilet when in two directions: chiisai and ooki. Chiisai = small, ooki = big. Yep, efficient. About half of the toilets I sat on made a noise like running water when you sat on them. That was very nice for some of us who are shy pottyers. One toilet had a button that you pressed to make noise. Yeah, it didn't sound like natural running water at all. Most places where I went to the bathroom had western style toilets. Twice though, when we were at smaller subway stations, I had to hold it until we got to another stop because all they had were lady urinals.

This hotel had a shower room too. This was my favorite! In Japan bathing is meant for a leisure activity. So, you must take a shower first in order to get clean before you lounge in the bath. This was the only place that we stayed where the shower was separate from the bath, but I loved the shower room because it allowed for room.

TDR-14.jpg

Hey, here we are!

TDR-15.jpg

Each hotel also had slippers by the door.

TDR-16.jpg

This was by far the largest room that we had. A family of four could easily stay here, which makes sense because it is connected to Disney.

TDR-17.jpg

TDR-19.jpg

The beds were twin sized, but Jordan managed to push them together.

A view of the courtyard from our room:

TDR-20.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
After we literally just dropped everything in our room we decided that we needed to do some exploring and find something to eat. Looking back on it I wish that we had taken the shuttle over to Ikspiari (Tokyo's version of Downtown Disney), but I wasn't sure how to get there and didn't feel like getting lost. Now I know that all we had to do was take the shuttle to Tokyo Disneyland, take the ramp to the metro station, and just keep walking. Instead, we decided to travel on foot around our hotel. Our hotel was right on Tokyo Bay, which was really cool.

TDR-22.jpg

Looking back from the bay. You can see our hotel barely sticking out above the trees on the left.

TDR-23.jpg

TDR-27.jpg

The area around the resort was very residential. It was around 7:30 at night and we saw a lot of people out running or riding bikes. We also saw several places to park bikes beside apartment buildings.

TDR-28.jpg

To the Japanese your body is your vehicle, and that was really cool to see. The people are very fit for the most part and avoiding cars was never an issue.

Our first sighting of a 7/11. They were everywhere! The food they had was good too. Seriously, we got breakfast from a 7/11 on numerous occasions. Also, the ATMs were great. I never had any issue withdrawing money at a 7/11. The machines were easy to use too. I'll go ahead and add that I am really glad that I did not exchange money in the states because the fees would have been ridiculous. My bank only charges $1 in ATM fees per use for use out of the country. The fee from 7/11 averaged around $2 for use.

TDR-29.jpg

And vending machines. Vending machines were everywhere! Even in neighborhoods throughout the city you could find several vending machines. Considering that $1 and $5 comes in coinage in Japan, we spent a lot of money at vending machines. It just seemed like we weren't spending that much by using our loose change. The drinks were on average $1.25, so the princes weren't bad.

TDR-33.jpg

Any Attack on Titan fans out there? I'll admit to being one. No, I don't care for anime otherwise, but the show was actually really good. Anyways, Attack on Titan stuff was EVERYWHERE!

TDR-34.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
We ended up at a store that was basically Walmart on three levels. They had a food court, but we weren't interested in KFC. We wanted sushi. The store was bizarre though. I don't have any photos of it, but the bottom floor was groceries and men's clothing. The 2nd floor had more men's clothing and women's clothing. The top floor was children's clothing, toys, and sporting goods. The grocery part was insane. The music was so loud and upbeat. Plus, there were several televisions with different cooking shows going on throughout. It was organized chaos.

We ended up eating at a restaurant called senzushi. When we walked in all that we could see was the sushi bar on the right. It was full, but we were taken to a group of rooms on the left by the hostess. The hostess pointed to our shoes before we were taken back to the rooms. Once we took them off we were taken to our own room with its own table. Another nice thing about the mifi device was that I was able to text my parents while we were there. When I tried to tell my mom about it she responded with, "You mean they segregated you!" Lol! Definitely not! While we were secluded, it actually helped calm our nerves quite a bit about being tourists who spoke only a little Japanese.

TDR-35.jpg

If you look at the menus you can see that picture menus were provided. Again, pointing is universal, and these were very helpful during those times when we couldn't communicate verbally with the staff.

TDR-36.jpg

Yay, we've been awake for 30 hours!

TDR-38.jpg

Sushi there was very reasonably priced. We got this platter for $17. It came with soup, some chicken and mushrooms in gelatinous eggs, and dessert.

TDR-40.jpg

TDR-41.jpg

I was the lucky soul who got to eat that. Its beak had quite the crunch.

After our dessert came we sat and waited and waited and waited for our server to bring the bill. Neither one of us wanted to go and track her down, but we couldn't figure out why she hadn't been back. It was getting to the point where they were about to find two Americans sleeping under the table. We sat there for about 30 minutes before we decided to test this button out.

TDR-42.jpg

We had no idea why this was there, but it was. We went back and forth about pushing it. I was afraid to. Finally, Jordan reached over and pressed it. An alarm sounded, and I panicked. What have we done? We've insulted them, and they are going to be so mad. At that point our server comes around the corner and into our room. I held my index fingers in the shape of an 'x' (the signal for "check, please"), she turned around, and promptly brought us our bill. Well, that was simple. In Japan when your food arrives you say, "Itadakimasu," which means, "I receive." When you leave a restaurant you say, "Gochisosama dea," which means, "thank you for the meal." We had the first one down easily and had practiced for several months. Our waitress was super pleased when we said it when she brought the meal. As we were leaving we tried the second part but ended up butchering it. The chefs were kind enough to say, "Thank you!" Yes, they said, "Thank you." At that point we just resorted to what we actually did know, which was "oishii" (delicious). So, first meal was a success. Nobody died, and we ate good food. Afterwards, we dragged ourselves back to the resort to get some much needed rest.

TDR-46.jpg

TDR-47.jpg

We were ready for bed and sound asleep by 10:00 PM. My anxiety about the trip was gone, and I was so excited to see a familiar site the next day.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
At 5:30 AM I couldn't keep my eyes shut any longer. We were going to Disneyland! We got up, got ready, and went downstairs for breakfast. There was a restaurant at the hotel, but we opted to go into the convenience store inside the hotel to see what they had. The only thing that we could recognize was yogurt. So, yogurt for breakfast it was. We went out into the courtyard to enjoy our breakfast. Honestly, we have no idea if this was acceptable or not. Japanese culture is very particular about where you eat and that is at a table. We saw no one else enjoying breakfast on the benches outside, but no one told us that we couldn't either. While we were out there someone opened their hotel window (a feature that I liked, but you couldn't get them open more than 6 inches) and yelled out, "Good morning!" We responded with "Ohayou gozaimasu!" It sounds like ohio go-sigh-e-moss. We went out to the bus stop and left our resort at 7:30 AM. We arrived at the front gates of Tokyo Disneyland 7:52 AM. The bus stops were just like the ones found at Walt Disney World, only there were about 5 of them.

Monorail track spotted on the way!

TDR-48.jpg

Sadly, we didn't ride the monorail. If you aren't staying at one of the three Disney-owned properties you have to pay to ride it. Plus, we just didn't have anywhere to ride it to. I know, I know, and it will be the first of many, "how could you not do that while you were there?" but we were tired, y'all.

Tokyo Disneyland Hotel

TDR-49.jpg

Even though we arrived at 7:52, and it was still another hour before park opening, there was quite a line that had formed already. We were about 50 people back from our turnstile. The closer it got to 9 the more and more people started lining up behind us. CMs were walking around handing out maps. Fortunately we were able to get one in English without having to wait to go inside the park. From there we put together our plan of action. It was simple: get fastpasses for Monsters' Inc. and get in line for Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

As soon as we were allowed to go in the crowds running through World Bazaar were crazy! It was as if someone had yelled, "Godzilla!" CMs were posted with signs in Japanese and English asking people not to run. Although people were running, we never got bumped or pushed, so it was fine. We took a side exit out of World Bazaar, quickly received our Monsters' Inc. fps, and headed straight for Pooh.

TDR-50.jpg

TDR-52.jpg

TDR-55.jpg

TDR-56.jpg

TDR-57.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
This was definitely my favorite attraction at TDL. The ride had a trackless system that allowed the cars to interweave throughout. This was especially cool in the heffalumps and woozles room when your car, along with 5 others, is randomly spinning and going throughout the room. The cars bounced too in a very fluid and believable way during the Tigger scenes. Overall, it was just super fun and super cute.

TDR-58.jpg

TDR-61.jpg

TDR-62.jpg

TDR-63.jpg

TDR-65.jpg

TDR-66.jpg

TDR-67.jpg

Dish towels were a big selling point at TDL.

TDR-68.jpg

I really wish that I had gotten these for future children. They were so cute!

TDR-69.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
From there we continued to walk through Fantasyland. We stopped to marvel at the beauty of It's a Small World.

TDR-70.jpg

Saw the Madhatter

TDR-71.jpg

Now for this next picture it needs to be explained that TDL was having a huge Easter celebration. Basically, they were really glad it was Spring. Sprinkled throughout the park were character Easter eggs. There was even a game set up to go and find all of them, but we didn't participate.

TDR-72.jpg

We did stop to check out one of my favorites:

TDR-73.jpg

TDR-74.jpg

It was wonderful, of course. It was a bit shorter than it's WDW counterpart. There were some major differences in it though. 1) Your Ghost Host was not Vincent Price. The narration was delivered in Japanese, but I wouldn't expect anything less; 2) there were some parts in English: Grimm Grinning Ghosts, Madame Leota's lines, and the "hurry back, hurry back" were all in their original voicings; 3) the Donald Duck chair was placed in the library; 4) books moved across the floor in the library; and 5) the bride in the attic was different. She was more like the most recent attic bride before the latest change, still not the super creepy one from the 90s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom