Trip Report Don't Touch My Mustache and Other Japanese Phrases

Konnichiwa! It's been just over a month since my husband and I returned from our wonderful 10 day trip to Japan. This was definitely the trip of a lifetime for both of us that took us on a journey to Mount Fuji, Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, and of course, the Tokyo Disney Resort. It was an adventure full of ups and more ups. I hope that each one of you enjoys this journey with me because I plan on detailing it all for you. I hope this trip will inspire all of you to broaden your Disney horizons and head over to the Land of the Rising Sun.

First though, if you are interested in how I did my planning (and yes, I did all of it on my own), check out my pre-trip report that is located here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/konnichiwa-yall-were-going-to-japan.884605/

The cast of characters for this trip was pretty simple. It was me (Rachel) and my husband (Jordan). I've gotten the question of what made me want to go to Japan quite a lot since we've gotten back. The truth is that my husband wanted to go. I always thought Japan would be neat to visit...eventually. There were a lot of other places on my bucket list to visit first, but last summer my husband convinced me to head over to Japan. He loves the culture and video games. So, while he chose the location, I made all the plans. By making the plans I became more and more excited about what waited for us across the Pacific. Plus, I kind of got to choose what we were going to do, which just so happened to be visit Tokyo Disney for two days.

Now I am very much a 'can't see the forest for the trees' type of person, and my husband doesn't even know a forest has trees half of the time. It works very well for us when we recognize each other's strengths and weaknesses. This trip turned out to be an excellent balance for us. When we left for Japan I had 8 typed pages of things to do in each city (that did not include my list of attractions at Tokyo Disney Resort), including train stops, addresses, cost, and descriptions of each site. While I am so glad that I had this list it actually caused me some anxiety. 'What if we don't do everything on the list? Which is the most important to me? To him? Why is nothing at the same train stop? Why does this book list this site in Central Tokyo but this book has it in Western Tokyo? Which ones are we going to on what days?' As much of a planner as I try to be, I just couldn't bring myself to piecing it all together on a map and detailing day by day what we were going to do. We were leaving with at least ideas of places to go, so I thought that surely that was good enough for now.

Monday, May 26

The night before we left I barely slept at all. I was so nervous and excited at the same time, which really just resulted in feeling restless, uneasiness, and just wanting to get on with it. I would almost liken it to the night before I got married, but I slept like a baby that night. My alarm went off at the horrible time of 4:30 AM. It really is a time that shouldn't exist, but fortunately adrenaline and excitement quickly kicked in for both of us. We were out the door by 5:30 AM for a 7:00 AM departure from Chattanooga. We only had an hour to get through security and our bags checked in Chattanooga, but I wasn't expecting any issues. In the scanner sometime suspicious showed up on my rear. I wanted to tell the TSA agent that it was just a wedgie, but she patted me down anyways. We flew from Chattanooga to Atlanta. We had a straight shot from Atlanta to Narita airport in Tokyo. However, once we arrived in Atlanta we had a five hour layover. We could have driven to Atlanta and back and half way there again during our layover time, but it was $50 more to fly out of Chattanooga and my parents were able to pick up my car. So off to the international terminal we sat and ate and lounged and paced and sat and ate until it was time to leave.

Our plane to Narita was definitely the largest plane either of us had ever been on, which is to be expected. However, I couldn't believe how crowded it was. When I chose our seats I googled the plane layout to see which seats were the best. The plane had a 3-4-3 layout of the seats, except in the back. As the plane narrowed in the back the seats changed to a 2-4-2 layout. I chose the first row of 2-4-2 seats. I'm so glad that I did! That meant that it was only Jordan and I together. Plus, we had about 2.5 feet between us and the window. It was just empty space. I was able to eventually put our stuff there instead of under the seats in front of us. Plus, it became my standing space when my legs couldn't take sitting anymore. I was just tall enough to fit right under the overhead compartment standing there. The only down side is that I didn't have a window to put my pillow against to sleep.

Here's us at takeoff. Sayonara, America!

TDR-1.jpg

Here's our extra space:

TDR-2.jpg

The takeoff was a bit of a bumpy ride. There was a lot of movement in the back of the plane, and it felt like it took awhile until the plane finally stopped fishtailing. Not long after we took off drink service started. Complimentary drinks, including alcohol, were offered for the flight. I asked for a glass of wine in hopes of getting to nap away that 4:30 wake up time. They were not stingy with the box wine on the plane. It didn't help though, so I went for the free entertainment. There was an impressive movie selection that would have definitely kept me occupied for the entire flight there and back. I opted for Monument's Men. It was okay. For such a wonderfully funny cast the humor felt forced and the timing was awful. Plus, it really shouldn't have been a comedy. The story is incredibly though.

Midway through the movie our first meal was served. I opted for beef stroganoff that was served with a salad, shrimp cocktail, a roll, and a brownie. I think the other option was chicken stir fry. The stroganoff wasn't took bad. It was heavy on the pepper but that didn't bother me. The brownie and roll however were not good.

TDR-3.jpg

Jordan asked for some sake with his meal. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I was surprised by the size of the bottle.

TDR-4.jpg

I really didn't get much sleep on the 13 hour flight. I spent the rest of it by playing mahjong tiles, trying to sleep, listening to music, and watching Star Trek Into Darkness for the 2nd time (I just really liked it, and I think Jordan looks like Bones). About 5 hours after the first meal our snack was served, which was a small turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, and milano cookies. About an hour before we landed we were given breakfast. I had eggs, which were just not good. I didn't even make any notes on the breakfast. I drank orange juice. That's about all I remember.

Finally, we spotted land.

TDR-5.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
So sorry that I haven't updated in awhile. School started back this week, so my week has been full of working in my classroom and naps because I'm always tired this week. let's get back to it though.

Sunday, June 1

Jordan and I woke up early this morning and headed to an international church. The church has lunch together afterwards, so we stayed for several hours talking to as many people as we could. A lot of people there spoke English, so it was nice having conversations with someone other than ourselves for a bit. We met a guy about our age who moved to Kyoto a few years ago. We asked him if there were any bad parts of the city. He told us that there weren't. One of the questions that we got the most when we returned from Japan was if there was ever a time when we didn't feel safe. Honestly, we always felt safe while we were there.

Once we arrived back in Kyoto we decided to go and try to find the Path of Philosophy. It's a 30 minute tree-lined walk along a canal named for a famous Japanese philosopher that practiced meditation while walking this path each day to work. We got off at Kyoto station to go to the subway station that would take us to the path. From there we had a good 3 km walk to go from there to get to the path. While we were walking we happened across Nijo castle. Unfortunately, it closed at 5, and by the time we made it to the main entrance it was just 5. We still enjoyed walking around the perimeter of the castle. It was a beautiful area.

Kyoto-191.jpg

Kyoto-193.jpg

Kyoto-194.jpg

Kyoto-195.jpg

Kyoto-196.jpg

Kyoto-198.jpg

Kyoto-201.jpg

Kyoto-202.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Kyoto-203.jpg

Kyoto-204.jpg

We got off the subway and went on our 3km walk to go on another 3km walk. It was a very beautiful evening though. Even though the days were brutal, we loved the weather in the afternoons and evenings. We saw a lot of really neat areas tucked away in the city too.

Kyoto-207.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how narrow some of these alleys were.

Kyoto-209.jpg

Kyoto-210.jpg

Kyoto-211.jpg

We came across this giant torii gate. There were museums and libraries around it.

Kyoto-212.jpg

There's Jordan standing by the bottom of the gate. This thing was huge!

Kyoto-213.jpg

Kyoto-214.jpg

Kyoto-215.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
We came across a shrine in the area. There was some sort of special event going on at it. We had no idea what was going on, but they were charging admission. So we just kept going.

Kyoto-216.jpg

Kyoto-217.jpg

Another vending machine find jasmine tea. It tasted just like the jasmine tea that we buy from World Market, but it was already brewed and neatly packaged for us.

Kyoto-218.jpg

As we kept going we came across yet another temple the Konkai Komyoji. This was a beautiful Buddhist temple with a burial ground attached to it.

Kyoto-219.jpg

Kyoto-220.jpg

Kyoto-221.jpg

Kyoto-222.jpg

Kyoto-223.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Kyoto-224.jpg

Kyoto-225.jpg

Kyoto-227.jpg

Kyoto-228.jpg

Kyoto-229.jpg

Kyoto-230.jpg

Kyoto-231.jpg

Kyoto-232.jpg

In case you were wondering, they have outdoor liquor stores.

Kyoto-234.jpg

Besides an outdoor liquor store we did find a French bakery. We decided to stop in for a pastry. We were getting hungry, and the area heading out to the Path of Philosophy was fairly residential. Jordan took us every which way to get there too, so I completely deserved this.

Kyoto-235.jpg

I don't know what this was, but it was delicious!

Jordan had a blueberry muffin.

Kyoto-236.jpg

This was not the bakery, but the architecture was interesting. Bay windows were definitely not a thing any other place that we went in Japan.

Kyoto-238.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
As we made it to the Path of Philosophy it was about 7:30 and already getting very dark. Still the walk was beautiful and so peaceful! I really wish that we had been able to take the area in during the day. We enjoyed it though. The path is lined with cherry trees, and the area in springtime is supposed to be even more spectacular.

Kyoto-239.jpg

Kyoto-242.jpg

Fortunately, there was a subway station near where the path ended, as well as crabs.

Kyoto-243.jpg

We made it back to Nijo station and had dinner at a sushi restaurant in the mall. Once again there were food displays in a window when we walked in and were able to order by telling them the number we wanted.

Kyoto-244.jpg

Kyoto-245.jpg

Sake is an international term though.

Frozen was being released in a month, and every book store was highly advertising its release.

Kyoto-248.jpg

We walked 10 miles a day with most of them being in the last 3 hours of us being out. We couldn't wait to get back in the room and lounge in our comfy hotel pajamas...

Kyoto-249.jpg

we also meditated...

Kyoto-250.jpg

and dramatically opened our paper window shades.

Kyoto-251.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
The following morning we were up early to head over to Osaka for the morning. We enjoyed our last sushi breakfast before heading out.

Kyoto-252.jpg

Kyoto-253.jpg

Kyoto-254.jpg

Cherry juice that I loved.

Kyoto-255.jpg

Kyoto station is huge! There are plenty of lockers around to store your luggage, which is exactly what we did while we went to Osaka. Osaka is only a 30 minute train ride from Kyoto. We planned on going for a few hours before heading to Tokyo for the rest of our trip. Kyoto station is absolutely huge! We decided to explore it a bit before leaving for Osaka. I was surprised to see Cafe du Monde there. I didn't check to see if they had beignets though.

Kyoto-256.jpg

Kyoto-257.jpg

Kyoto-260.jpg

Kyoto-263.jpg

dancingtodisney

Have just started reading this, so excited I found this TR I remember your PTR, I was in Disneyland Tokyo last year! I have to agree with you the toilets are just fantastic, you know they are pretty awesome when you feel the need to tell everybody about them!

FlaggNL

WOW! What a great, marvelous en amazing TR! One of the best on this forum! So jealous about your trip! Great great pictures! And you made us place Disneyland Tokyo on our wish list for the far future :) Thanks for sharing!!

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Such a cool report! A Cafe Du Monde in Japan! I live right outside of NOLA so wow, that's very neat!

I've never been to NOLA, but if I do go Cafe Du Monde is definitely on my list! I was so surprised to see one there!

Have just started reading this, so excited I found this TR I remember your PTR, I was in Disneyland Tokyo last year! I have to agree with you the toilets are just fantastic, you know they are pretty awesome when you feel the need to tell everybody about them!

I'm glad you are reading it! The toilets have been a piece of conversation for us with other people. Each year I do an "About Me" PowerPoint for my students and update it with what I did over the summer. The toilet was the first photo that I showed, and they all loved hearing about my mishaps with toilets.

WOW! What a great, marvelous en amazing TR! One of the best on this forum! So jealous about your trip! Great great pictures! And you made us place Disneyland Tokyo on our wish list for the far future :) Thanks for sharing!!

Oh thank you so much! That's so nice to hear! Tokyo Disney is definitely a place to visit. I could never do it the justice it deserves, but I really hope to keep convincing people to go! :)

popsicletrees

Original Poster
After we took in Kyoto station one last time we hopped on a train for Osaka. From the outset I didn't really care about going to Osaka. The only day that we had to go was on a Monday, and the only place that I cared to go check out in Osaka (Tompozan Harbor Village) was closed on Mondays. Jordan wanted to go, so off we went for half a day. We arrived at 10 AM and surprise, surprise it was hot!

Since we weren't able to check out Nijo castle in Kyoto, we wanted to check out Osaka castle.

Osaka-1.jpg

The castle is accessible through a large park. The park was huge. I really loved finding areas like this all throughout the major Japanese cities that we visited.

Osaka-3.jpg

Osaka-4.jpg

Osaka-5.jpg

Osaka-6.jpg

Osaka-7.jpg

Osaka-9.jpg

Osaka-10.jpg

Osaka-11.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
The tour begins at the top floor, six floors up. You ride an elevator to the top and take the stairs on down. At the top was a small gift shop and panoramic views of the city. It was so windy and cool up top that I could have stayed here for the next several hours.

Osaka-20.jpg

Osaka-21.jpg

Osaka-22.jpg

Felt so bad for these guys.

Osaka-23.jpg

Osaka-24.jpg

The rest of the museum contained a lot of miniature replicas of battles that took place around the castle. There were two floors where we were not allowed to take photos. Those were the coolest two floors, of course! Those floors contained samurai swords and armor. It was really cool to see all of that in person. The armor was so intricate. I desperately wanted a photo, but I am a rules follower and have to assume that it is for my own good that I cannot take all the photos of really cool historical stuff that I want.

Osaka-27.jpg

Osaka-28.jpg

When we purchased our tickets to the castle we paid for a double package that got us in to the Osaka Museum of History. But first, lunch!

I don't remember the name of this place at all. For $7 we got our choice of an entree, 3 sides, and unlimited rice and miso soup. It was set up almost like a buffet. We were a little confused about what we could get, but fortunately a nice man came to the rescue and showed us what to do . This place seemed like a favorite of local businessmen.

We both chose the chicken entree (that was a 'let's guess what this food is' game), sausage, tuna, and salmon for our meal.

Osaka-29.jpg

Everything was good, and we got a lot of food for the price.

After our meal we walked over to the museum.

Osaka-30.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Osaka-31.jpg

Osaka-32.jpg

So, the museum was kind of boring. As a lover of history, museums, and history museums, I think I can say that. The museum had some neat artifacts in it, but it was mostly small replicas of how the city looked over time. Plus, there wasn't a whole lot for us to read about it.

Osaka-34.jpg

Osaka-35.jpg

Osaka-36.jpg

Osaka-39.jpg

Osaka-40.jpg

Apparently there were goombas in Osaka a long time ago.

Osaka-41.jpg

Osaka-43.jpg

"Hey, catch!"

Osaka-44.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Since we were kind of bored and the replicas turned into props, we decided to have some fun while we were there.

Osaka-45.jpg

Osaka-46.jpg

Osaka-47.jpg

Osaka-49.jpg

Osaka-50.jpg

Osaka-51.jpg

I'm not sure if the other tourists appreciated how we were choosing to pass the time, but we were having a great time.

Osaka-52.jpg

It took Jordan 25 minutes to complete this puzzle in the section for children. 25 minutes!

Osaka-54.jpg

After the museum we made our way back to Kyoto to catch the bullet train to Tokyo.

Osaka-55.jpg

Once again we had a wonderful trip on the bullet train, complete with yummy pastries.

Osaka-57.jpg

FlaggNL

Oh thank you so much! That's so nice to hear! Tokyo Disney is definitely a place to visit. I could never do it the justice it deserves, but I really hope to keep convincing people to go! :)

You are very welcome! Well you already convinced me :) But when will it really happen...... my best guess is between now and the next 10 years! In the meantime TR's like yours are great to get a glimpse of the Tokyo Disney!

FlaggNL

Ohw and BTW not only the Tokyo Disney pictures are great! It's marvelous to see your 'normal' holiday pictures from Japan :)

fractal

Still enjoying your report. Fuji looks majestic, all the food along the way looks awesome. I would love to ride the bullet train.

Monkey are cool as are the hotel PJ's. :D - not to mention the outdoor "sin" vending machines!

Osaka castle looks awesome and you can tell how much fun both of you are having!

popsicletrees

Original Poster
You are very welcome! Well you already convinced me :) But when will it really happen...... my best guess is between now and the next 10 years! In the meantime TR's like yours are great to get a glimpse of the Tokyo Disney!

Ohw and BTW not only the Tokyo Disney pictures are great! It's marvelous to see your 'normal' holiday pictures from Japan :)

If you had told me a year and a half ago that I would be going to Japan I honestly would not have believed you. We just kind of made our minds up and stuck with it. That's kind of the mentality that we needed though, just make it happen. I definitely wanted to make this trip about much more than Tokyo Disney. I loved that place, absolutely loved it, but there is so much more that Japan has to offer.

Still enjoying your report. Fuji looks majestic, all the food along the way looks awesome. I would love to ride the bullet train.

Monkey are cool as are the hotel PJ's. :D - not to mention the outdoor "sin" vending machines!

Osaka castle looks awesome and you can tell how much fun both of you are having!

I'm glad you are still following along! We really did as much as we could while we were there. I never got close enough to the "sin" machines to see what was required to make them operate. A part of me wishes that I had accidentally packed away some of those pajamas into my suitcase too. We definitely had a great time!

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Jordan and I both agree that Osaka was our least favorite place that we went to while in Japan. I enjoyed going to the castle. It was absolutely beautiful! However, I probably would have rather just stayed in Kyoto a bit longer to go see Nijo castle. The city itself wasn't as clean and beautiful as Kyoto and Tokyo. Still I can mark that place off of my list.

From Kyoto station we took the bullet train back to Tokyo. We were told by several people that Tokyo and Kyoto are very different and that we will have our preference of the two places. I was honestly a bit worried that I would feel the way about Tokyo that I felt about Osaka. I really liked Kyoto. It was a beautiful city. Since we were spending nearly four days in Tokyo I didn't want to leave there just not really enjoying it.

By the time we arrived in Tokyo and made it to the JR station where our hotel was it was around 7 in the evening. My plan for that night was just to get some laundry done. We were staying at Hotel Mystays Kamata. There are several Hotel Mystays throughout Tokyo. I chose this one because 1) it was cheap; 2) it had good ratings on Trip Advisor; 3) the laundry was free; and 4) all of the reviews said that the area was quiet. Fortunately the hotel was only about a 5 minute walk from the JR station. The area from the JR station to the hotel was mostly restaurants and 7/11s. Check-in was easy, and we were given a room on the 8th floor. Unfortunately the hotel only had 1 elevator but this never ended up being a problem for us. When I booked our room I upgraded our room size. The entry level size room for two people had a bed that was somewhere between a twin and full size bed. I'm not sure they even make those, but that's how it looked from the photographs. I decided to go for the next level and get a queen sized bed. I knew beforehand our room wasn't going to be very big but that's how a lot of rooms are throughout Japan.

Tokyo-1.jpg

Tokyo-2.jpg

Tokyo-3.jpg

Tokyo-4.jpg

Tokyo-5.jpg

Jordan is holding up a sign with the kanji for small. It was small, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room so it was never an issue.

Tokyo-6.jpg

Tokyo-7.jpg

One nice thing about each of the hotels where we stayed was that each place had large bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. That way I didn't have to take any of those items with us. That saved a lot of room in our suitcases.

That night I stayed in the room so I could take care of our laundry. Jordan went out and explored the area a bit. He ended up going to a conveyor belt sushi place while he was out that we went back to a few nights later. He was nice enough to bring some sushi back to me from a grocery store. He said while he was out he ended up in this open area between alleys and saw some guys standing there in suits with earpieces. He said that they looked like bouncers. He saw a sign for a hostess club nearby. So, when he got back to the room he did some research on what hostess clubs are in Japan. These are clubs where men go and pay to have a woman come and talk to them, essentially. A new girl comes by every 15 minutes, and they are expected to buy a drink for her. A guy can request a certain girl to come by and see him though, which pretty much guarantees that the girls will keep their jobs. Sadly though it forces the girls into some compromising situations in order to make sure that guys request their table. It was just a sad mark of the culture. Most men work 12-16 hour days so it is really hard for them to find any sort of meaningful relationship.

We called it an early night that night because we were getting up at 5:30 the next morning (on vacation!) to go hang out with high schoolers. Since we wanted to make this trip more meaningful for us than just sight-seeing (not that that wasn't meaningful), we got in contact with some missions organization in Japan. We received an email the day we arrived in Japan about a week-long camp at a private international high school in Japan. After a few emails back and forth over the next week we were set to go work for two days in the high school. The high school was only 15 miles from where we were staying, but it was going to take us an hour and a half to get there. So we were up super early. Once we met our contact from the U.S. we took a public bus towards the school. The buses were super clean just like the subways and trains. I was glad that we had someone with us though because I would have never ever figured out the bus system.

Tokyo-8.jpg

We arrived at the high school and were kind of given a run down of what we were going to do. We had the opportunity to speak with two classes of students and then have lunch with them.

We were told that most of the students will be very respectful, but there will be some that will get an attitude with us. I work in a public high school in the U.S., I get it.

Tokyo-10.jpg

Tokyo-12.jpg

So this is a freshman class in high school. The two students standing by me were translating what we were saying into Japanese. The sensei just called on them randomly to translate. They were wonderful! After the two classes students had the opportunity to come eat lunch with us in the courtyard. We went to the school store to pick up our lunch. They sold our sushi triangles there! Why, oh, why can I not have these in the U.S.? Older students from the school came out and joined us for lunch too. We were broken up into small groups to talk and get to know each other. I was thoroughly impressed with these kids. I met one girl whose grandfather lives in the next city over from us. Another student was born in China, lived in France for 7 years, and now he was living in Japan. He knew Chinese, French, Japanese, and English. He told me that he was trying to learn Spanish but was nervous about not being able to learn it. I told him that he was going to be just fine. Seriously, I loved being able to sit down with all of them. The guy who told us that we would probably get some attitude from them told me after lunch that he was really impressed with how I handled the students. I was thinking, 'yes, public school teacher in America.' I deal with attitude on an hourly basis. Sadly I wanted to tell him that it was because I talked to them like teenagers and not six-year-olds that I got the desired response from them.

Tokyo-15.jpg

Tokyo-16.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom