Trip Report Don't Touch My Mustache and Other Japanese Phrases

Konnichiwa! It's been just over a month since my husband and I returned from our wonderful 10 day trip to Japan. This was definitely the trip of a lifetime for both of us that took us on a journey to Mount Fuji, Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, and of course, the Tokyo Disney Resort. It was an adventure full of ups and more ups. I hope that each one of you enjoys this journey with me because I plan on detailing it all for you. I hope this trip will inspire all of you to broaden your Disney horizons and head over to the Land of the Rising Sun.

First though, if you are interested in how I did my planning (and yes, I did all of it on my own), check out my pre-trip report that is located here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/konnichiwa-yall-were-going-to-japan.884605/

The cast of characters for this trip was pretty simple. It was me (Rachel) and my husband (Jordan). I've gotten the question of what made me want to go to Japan quite a lot since we've gotten back. The truth is that my husband wanted to go. I always thought Japan would be neat to visit...eventually. There were a lot of other places on my bucket list to visit first, but last summer my husband convinced me to head over to Japan. He loves the culture and video games. So, while he chose the location, I made all the plans. By making the plans I became more and more excited about what waited for us across the Pacific. Plus, I kind of got to choose what we were going to do, which just so happened to be visit Tokyo Disney for two days.

Now I am very much a 'can't see the forest for the trees' type of person, and my husband doesn't even know a forest has trees half of the time. It works very well for us when we recognize each other's strengths and weaknesses. This trip turned out to be an excellent balance for us. When we left for Japan I had 8 typed pages of things to do in each city (that did not include my list of attractions at Tokyo Disney Resort), including train stops, addresses, cost, and descriptions of each site. While I am so glad that I had this list it actually caused me some anxiety. 'What if we don't do everything on the list? Which is the most important to me? To him? Why is nothing at the same train stop? Why does this book list this site in Central Tokyo but this book has it in Western Tokyo? Which ones are we going to on what days?' As much of a planner as I try to be, I just couldn't bring myself to piecing it all together on a map and detailing day by day what we were going to do. We were leaving with at least ideas of places to go, so I thought that surely that was good enough for now.

Monday, May 26

The night before we left I barely slept at all. I was so nervous and excited at the same time, which really just resulted in feeling restless, uneasiness, and just wanting to get on with it. I would almost liken it to the night before I got married, but I slept like a baby that night. My alarm went off at the horrible time of 4:30 AM. It really is a time that shouldn't exist, but fortunately adrenaline and excitement quickly kicked in for both of us. We were out the door by 5:30 AM for a 7:00 AM departure from Chattanooga. We only had an hour to get through security and our bags checked in Chattanooga, but I wasn't expecting any issues. In the scanner sometime suspicious showed up on my rear. I wanted to tell the TSA agent that it was just a wedgie, but she patted me down anyways. We flew from Chattanooga to Atlanta. We had a straight shot from Atlanta to Narita airport in Tokyo. However, once we arrived in Atlanta we had a five hour layover. We could have driven to Atlanta and back and half way there again during our layover time, but it was $50 more to fly out of Chattanooga and my parents were able to pick up my car. So off to the international terminal we sat and ate and lounged and paced and sat and ate until it was time to leave.

Our plane to Narita was definitely the largest plane either of us had ever been on, which is to be expected. However, I couldn't believe how crowded it was. When I chose our seats I googled the plane layout to see which seats were the best. The plane had a 3-4-3 layout of the seats, except in the back. As the plane narrowed in the back the seats changed to a 2-4-2 layout. I chose the first row of 2-4-2 seats. I'm so glad that I did! That meant that it was only Jordan and I together. Plus, we had about 2.5 feet between us and the window. It was just empty space. I was able to eventually put our stuff there instead of under the seats in front of us. Plus, it became my standing space when my legs couldn't take sitting anymore. I was just tall enough to fit right under the overhead compartment standing there. The only down side is that I didn't have a window to put my pillow against to sleep.

Here's us at takeoff. Sayonara, America!

TDR-1.jpg

Here's our extra space:

TDR-2.jpg

The takeoff was a bit of a bumpy ride. There was a lot of movement in the back of the plane, and it felt like it took awhile until the plane finally stopped fishtailing. Not long after we took off drink service started. Complimentary drinks, including alcohol, were offered for the flight. I asked for a glass of wine in hopes of getting to nap away that 4:30 wake up time. They were not stingy with the box wine on the plane. It didn't help though, so I went for the free entertainment. There was an impressive movie selection that would have definitely kept me occupied for the entire flight there and back. I opted for Monument's Men. It was okay. For such a wonderfully funny cast the humor felt forced and the timing was awful. Plus, it really shouldn't have been a comedy. The story is incredibly though.

Midway through the movie our first meal was served. I opted for beef stroganoff that was served with a salad, shrimp cocktail, a roll, and a brownie. I think the other option was chicken stir fry. The stroganoff wasn't took bad. It was heavy on the pepper but that didn't bother me. The brownie and roll however were not good.

TDR-3.jpg

Jordan asked for some sake with his meal. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I was surprised by the size of the bottle.

TDR-4.jpg

I really didn't get much sleep on the 13 hour flight. I spent the rest of it by playing mahjong tiles, trying to sleep, listening to music, and watching Star Trek Into Darkness for the 2nd time (I just really liked it, and I think Jordan looks like Bones). About 5 hours after the first meal our snack was served, which was a small turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, and milano cookies. About an hour before we landed we were given breakfast. I had eggs, which were just not good. I didn't even make any notes on the breakfast. I drank orange juice. That's about all I remember.

Finally, we spotted land.

TDR-5.jpg

DisSplash

I just saw some of those nanoblock sets on eBay -- the are super cute! I am so impressed with how well you guys are getting around and just enjoying yourselves.

Orange water sounds pretty tasty and, I imagine, refreshing!

Can't wait to read more!

DisneyMorgan

I am so on board for this trip report! Japan is a major place to visit on my bucket list! I'm part Japanese, my grandmother is from Okinawa and her sister lives in Tokyo. I'm hoping one day we can make it there before she gets too old to travel that far. And of course we will definitely be visiting TDL and Disney Sea! I REALLY want to check that place out!!

Anyway, I am LOVING this so far!!! Glad y'all had a good time :)

Also, saw you are from Chatt?? Hello fellow Tennessian!! I'm from Memphis! :D

popsicletrees

Original Poster
I have a friend who collects them. He has a few neat ones (Tower of Pisa, Neuschaswein castle, Taj Mahal, Easter Island (my favorite), and the White House. They're pretty pricey but they are neat. :geek:

Easter Island sounds neat. I'll have to check out what other things the company has to offer.

I'm loving the trip report so far! I can't wait to read more. :)

Thank you, and thanks for following along!

This trip report is getting better each day. Loving it!

Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it.

Oh I love this. So fascinating! I could go broke buying kawaii Disney stuff, tho. Seriously!

We had a duffel bag full of souvenirs to take back by the end of our trip. There was so much that we wanted. The parks had a lot of unique merchandise. I just wanted them all to say Tokyo!

I just saw some of those nanoblock sets on eBay -- the are super cute! I am so impressed with how well you guys are getting around and just enjoying yourselves.

Orange water sounds pretty tasty and, I imagine, refreshing!

Can't wait to read more!

I'll have to check them out on eBay and see what I can weasel my way into getting. Just the thought of traveling to a country with such a different language kept me up at night. It was such an easy experience though. Staying in the cities there was a lot of accommodations for English speakers wherever we went.

I really wish that I could find orange water here. We were so hot at that point that it was the nectar of the gods.

I am so on board for this trip report! Japan is a major place to visit on my bucket list! I'm part Japanese, my grandmother is from Okinawa and her sister lives in Tokyo. I'm hoping one day we can make it there before she gets too old to travel that far. And of course we will definitely be visiting TDL and Disney Sea! I REALLY want to check that place out!!

Anyway, I am LOVING this so far!!! Glad y'all had a good time :)

Also, saw you are from Chatt?? Hello fellow Tennessian!! I'm from Memphis! :D

Well, hey there! I've had bar-b-que over on your side of the state several times. It was delicious. Unfortunately, the only time I've ever been to Beale Street was at night, and apparently I was too young to even walk down it.

After being there I would really love to go to Okinawa. I hope you can make it there too one day, especially with your grandmother. DisneySea was beyond incredible! I can't wait to get to that part of the trip. Thanks for following along!

popsicletrees

Original Poster
After lunch it was time to use our fps for BTMRR. When we loaded onto the train instead of sending us with the rest of riders to load from the back, the CM directed us to the front before continuing to send everyone else to the back. We were placed in the second row because there was another couple who already asked to wait to be in the front. I think if that other couple wasn't there we would have been front row. I thought that was a really nice gesture. At least, I hope it was! There are some differences between this version and the one at WDW. I don't recall hearing "This here's the wildest ride in the wilderness" when we left, which was a sad departure. The opening ride sequence was also different from where you start out in the cave with the bats in WDW's version. I didn't take any detailed notes on how it was different but it just was. For the most part the ride was essentially the same. The western town you go through is a lot smaller in size, and the part where you pass under the dinosaur bones is different. Other than that it's still the classic ride it always is. Seriously though, thrill rides with Japanese people are awesome!

TDR-126.jpg

TDR-127.jpg

TDR-128.jpg

From here we walked over to Adventureland to ride Jungle Cruise. I couldn't wait to hear really bad jokes in Japanese. We searched and searched for it until finally I saw a sign that read "Future Home of the Jungle Cruise." Boo! That was down for refurbishment. That one took me by surprise. I don't remember seeing it listed when I had checked a few months before, but I may have been in so much grief over Space Mountain being down that I blocked it out.

Instead, we walked right on Pirates.

TDR-129.jpg

For those of you who are familiar with the DL version, this is very similar. As you are walking through the line you can see the boats sail past you with some pirate scenes. Also, there is a bayou scene along with Blue Bayou restaurant. I wasn't a huge fan of the Blue Bayou when I ate at the one in DL several years ago, but I appreciate it's atmosphere. The ride was mostly in Japanese with the major exception being the song. Also, there was a lot of interaction from the pirates that were in jail and the dog with the keys.

Continuing on our journey (basically we just kept walking circles around the park), we got in line to go through Cinderella's Castle. Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall is a walk-through attraction that allows you to view artwork of Cinderella's journey to becoming a princess. We had to wait about 10 minutes in line as they stagger guests so you aren't too crowded walking through. All of the artwork was different in its representation, and looking out of the windows to view the rest of TDL was a beautiful sight.

TDR-133.jpg

TDR-135.jpg

TDR-137.jpg

(^that's all paper)

TDR-138.jpg

TDR-139.jpg

draybook

Any Attack on Titan fans out there? I'll admit to being one. No, I don't care for anime otherwise, but the show was actually really good. Anyways, Attack on Titan stuff was EVERYWHERE!

TDR-34.jpg

My daughter and son LOVE the show/anime and all. She is going to demand that we go to Japan after seeing this TR. Curse you!!! :p

popsicletrees

Original Poster
TDR-140.jpg

TDR-142.jpg

At this point you can wait in a separate line to be able to sit on Cinderella's throne. As you sat down music played and the throne lit up. It was really cool to see, but I opted to just keep walking.

TDR-143.jpg

TDR-144.jpg

TDR-145.jpg

The following day Tokyo Disneyland was premiering a new castle show called Once Upon a Time. We saw a lot of merchandise for it: tins, ornaments, notebooks, picture frames, etc. Apparently they had been running the show for several nights before the premiere. However, I was surprised to see all the merchandise out for it before that actual official premiere of the show.

Again, it was hot outside, so we did something that I don't think that Jordan would have agreed to otherwise.

TDR-146.jpg

TDR-147.jpg

TDR-148.jpg

I loved the murals that were painted on the inside. This ride again was exactly what you'd expect, but it seemed like it was a lot shorter than WDW or DL's versions. The rooms seemed about half the size of WDW's version, and the final room was definitely a lot smaller. It was a nice reprieve though, and it inspired us to stay in Fantasyland a bit longer and go on a few more rides.

TDL has a Pinocchio ride that as far as I can remember is an exact replica of DL's version. I've only been on DL's once, and when Jordan and I went to DL last summer we didn't have time to ride it.

TDR-149.jpg

Snow White's Scary Adventure was next up for us. Yes, they still have it there! While we were in line we could see the afternoon parade "Happiness is Here" go through Fantasyland. The floats were incredible. They were gigantic and so elaborate. We could see enough of the parade from where we were, but the pictures aren't the best.

TDR-150.jpg

You can see two girls in school uniforms in the photos above. We saw a lot of teens and preteens in school uniforms there but not enough that were the same to make me think that a school trip was there. I looked at Jordan and asked if he thought that a lot of kids just got up like they were going to school and took off for Disney instead. I mean, with a train station right outside the entrance I would. We also saw plenty of girls in their twenties in long sleeve shirts and plaid mini skirts because that's something some girls in their twenties do in public in Japan. It makes them look young and innocent or something. So if that's your thing, Tokyo Disney is the place to go.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
TDR-151.jpg

TDR-152.jpg

TDR-153.jpg

This version of Snow White's Scary Adventure was much shorter than the WDW version that once existed. After the witch gets pushed off the cliff the ride just ends. That's it. I guess according to Tokyo Snow White doesn't get her happily ever after. She is stuck in a coma.

We were able to see the last float from the parade as we exited the ride. It was a seriously long parade too.

TDR-155.jpg

I didn't insist on seeing any parades except for the night one because I just didn't think it would be Jordan's thing. However, he remarked after that one was over that he wishes we could have seen the whole thing. Who is this guy?

We went through a bakery on Main Street just to look. We ended up getting dinner there later, which was sausage in a pastry with brown mustard on the inside. It was okay but wasn't my first choice for dinner. Jordan is a very picky eater, and while TDL offers a wide variety at restaurants he just wasn't feeling anything. There were some cool pastries there though.

TDR-156.jpg

TDR-157.jpg

Sadly, I have no idea what Mike's Melon Bread tastes like.

Up next was a spin on the Grand Circuit Raceway. We saw a lot of adults riding as doubles when we were in line, so I looked at Jordan and said that we may not be able to ride separately unless we tell the CMs that we aren't together. However, when we got to the CM that placed us in lines he asked in enough English if we wanted to ride separately or together. We told him separately. So, I wonder if it was just a cultural thing to ride together instead of the usual try to stay ahead enough of my spouse because he is trying to hit my vehicle. As we were loading I noticed that the CMs went to each vehicle and operated them to the appropriate stop number.

TDR-162.jpg

TDR-163.jpg

TDR-164.jpg

These cars were much much easier to handle than the ones at WDW. I didn't spend the entire ride bouncing off the rails trying to straighten out. It was a smooth and relaxing ride, except for one thing. Apparently each of the cars has a sensor that doesn't let you get less than 6 feet away from the car in front of you. If you do the gas pedal pops up and your car stops automatically. I guess if you are concerned about the safety of your guests being hit by the bumper of a vehicle going 2 miles per hour, this is a great feature. However, if it's anything like our case, it gets really annoying if the person in the car in front of you has forgotten that the gas pedal makes your car go forward and keeps stopping every 30 seconds for no reason! As we approached the end of the ride a CM will come out to your car, grab your steering wheel, and step on the gas pedal on the outside of your vehicle. I'm going out on a limb here and stating that this pedal is not affected by the sensor that stops your vehicle.

imagination30

Alright, so after riding the Haunted Mansion in Japanese we decided to kill some time before our fps for Monster's Inc. The castle in Tokyo was a very familiar sight.

TDR-77.jpg

TDR-78.jpg

TDR-80.jpg

TDR-81.jpg

Looking towards Tomorrowland:

TDR-82.jpg

We went into some shops to kill some time where I found Disney Nanoblocks! These were great! Unfortunately, Jordan didn't want to buy any because he said that they were too expensive. So, I didn't. I regret that decision.

TDR-83.jpg

TDR-84.jpg

TDR-85.jpg

TDR-86.jpg

We found Nanoblocks in other parts of Japan too. The sets at Disney were much more expensive, but they were unique. We ended up getting our nephew a set of Nanoblocks that make a pagoda as a souvenir.

its kinda cool that they left tomorrow land , to look like the retro tomorrow land before they changed it at wdw!

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Before Hippity Hoppity Parade was scheduled to start again we walked over to Toontown to hope on Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.

TDR-165.jpg

TDR-166.jpg

Characters were always out too. At the Tokyo parks they just seemed to walk around for the most part without a real designated spot to stay and waiting for crowds to swarm them. We saw the Big Bad Wolf.

TDR-167.jpg

TDR-168.jpg

TDR-169.jpg

TDR-170.jpg

TDR-171.jpg

Hey, I know that guy!

TDR-172.jpg

TDR-173.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin was probably the longest line that we waited in all day. It was pretty deceptive as to how long the line would actually be once we went inside. We waited for about 30 minutes. As we were exiting we could see Hippity Hoppity Parade approaching us. We decided to find a spot where we could stand and watch.

TDR-176.jpg

TDR-179.jpg

TDR-181.jpg

TDR-182.jpg

TDR-183.jpg

TDR-188.jpg

TDR-192.jpg

TDR-193.jpg

TDR-195.jpg

popsicletrees

Original Poster
TDR-200.jpg

TDR-203.jpg

TDR-204.jpg

The parade was a lot of fun to watch! The floats were incredible as were the CMs who were in the parade. The song was catchy (and in English!), and every single float stopped in front of us for a quick interaction and dance. Jordan was very impressed that as each float approached you could hear the voices of those characters appear in the music. Umm, of course you can. It's Disney...

After the parade it was back to Tomorrowland. Again, we were just walking in circles for awhile. We went to Star Tours again. This time I was the rebel spy. Hey, it took me going to another country to become the rebel spy, but I'll take it.

TDR-158.jpg

TDR-159.jpg

As we were exiting Start Tours I saw it. The stand I was looking for. It was time for mochi!

TDR-160.jpg

Soooooo wonderful! We stopped and savored these for a few minutes (plus we were exhausted out of our minds!). For those of you wondering what these could possibly taste like I would liken the mochi to a fruit snack. The outside had a similar texture to a gummy snack. On the inside were different cold custard flavors though. One was chocolate, one was strawberry, and one was vanilla. Even though I typically go for chocolate when it comes to ice cream and fro yo, the chocolate was my least favorite of the three flavors. It was still delicious though!

TDR-161.jpg

The castle from under World Bazaar. You can just barely see the Partners Statue over the crowd in the center.

TDR-206.jpg

harveyt0206

Love love love the report Rachel. I've been so excited waiting for this one. Two quick things from what you've discussed so far...that sushi looks so flipping yummy. Except the octopus. My husband would like it, but I'm not that adventurous with my sushi. And I almost started crying when I saw the waterfall features in front of Tomorrowland. I loved when WDW had those. One of my favorite pictures is of me and my dad standing in front of them at WDW. Can't wait for the rest of your report. What an exciting adventure.

popsicletrees

Original Poster
At this point we sat and ate our hot dog pastry dinner. I had another orange water because they were sooooo good! It was beginning to get really chilly outside and quickly. We had fps for Splash Mountain, and I was really hoping that we wouldn't get very wet whereas an hour earlier I would have absolutely welcomed it.

TDR-207.jpg

So that owl guy (Brer Owl?) was in the loading area of the queue. He was probably giving out instructions for the ride, but I couldn't understand him. Don't worry though Brer Frog was still there when we went up the first lift. Also in the loading area were critter houses.

TDR-208.jpg

Yes, all of the dialogue was in Japanese (except for Zip a dee do dah at the end), and yes, "southern" Japanese voices are very humorous. One thing that I noticed throughout the ride was the leaves! There were leaves everywhere hanging from the ceiling. It was really beautiful.

TDR-209.jpg

The set up for the ride is the same as WDW's with two people sitting side-by-side. Other than the massive amounts of hanging leaves I don't recall any other major differences between the two attractions.

TDR-210.jpg

Sadly at this point we were fading and fast! We still had nearly 2 hours until the nighttime parade, and I was determined that we were going to see that. We went back to Main Street and walked in every single shop there scrutinizing the merchandise trying to find the word 'Tokyo' on something other than a tin of food. We walked back to Tomorrowland to see how long the wait for Buzz was. It had had a long line all day and this point was no exception. Then, Jordan saw the sign.
"What's that?"
"You mean I've never made you go on that?"
"No, what is it?"
"A show. Let's go. It will help us kill some time."

So, off to Captain EO we went. We had apparently just missed a seating and ended up waiting and waiting and waiting in the lobby. Sitting for so long wasn't helping the fact that we already just wanted to sleep but standing up made us realize how much our feet hurt. Once we got seated into the theater and the show started I was surprised to find that there were no Japanese subtitles. Everyone just sat there like they knew what was going on too.

I definitely remember this show from when I was a kid. My cousin had a fuzzball plush that he carried with him everywhere for years. He still has it, in fact. When the show was put back on at Epcot we went to go see it during one of our family trips. Afterwards we wondered why we had ever liked it when we were little.

Jordan and I spent most of the show elbowing each other to keep the other one awake as we both nodded off a couple of times. As we exited he looked at me and said, "What in the heck was that about?" I told him that I didn't even know. I always thought it was about recycling or something.

Fortunately the time was approaching for Dreamlights. Now, for all of us visitors to WDW who know just what torture it can be to watch parades, the Japanese know how to do it. An hour before the parade starts you are allowed to set out a little plastic mat that would fit about two people comfortably. The first five rows from where we were standing were nothing but mats. And here's the kicker, once the show started everyone who was sitting stayed seated! The CMs were great too about shooing away those who decided to go and stand in front of people who were already standing to watch the parade. The whole experience was beyond considerate.

TDR-212.jpg

TDR-213.jpg

TDR-214.jpg

TDR-215.jpg

TDR-216.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Yeah, we were just talking about the prospect of food if we went over to Japan. I don't eat seafood, fish, etc. What would I do?!?! The food all looks fascinating but also a bit scary. Slightly on the not-appetizing side, really. I wonder what regulations there are for bringing prepackaged food like protein/granola bars and meal replacement shake mixes. Worst case, it'd be a great opportunity to drop some lbs. never a bad thing for me. LOL!

IASW is so colorful! I wanna see that! And Roger Rabbit! I loved that at DL! Is it pretty similar at TDL?

The parDe looked really cool!

I always wondered what was inside those disembodied alien head things. Great description!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom