Don't Eat in the parks/Take your own water

Exotic - no ... but interesting - yes, and when we're offsite we enjoy trying new restaurants; this year we want to try the Cheesecake Factory and Texas de Brazil (we've had them recommended).
However, we wouldn't leave the parks to go offsite for a meal; we've stayed onsite 4 times now and have rarely had a poor meal anywhere on WDW, especially signature dining. There's plenty of choice for even CS meals and the prices are no different to eating at tourist attractions in the UK. I'm already sorting my ADRs out for September :).

Texas de Brazil is amazing. Bring your appetite, and your wallet, but it is fantastic eating.

kcs

Wow! I just checked out the TexasBrazillian Steakhouse and it look amazing! How much does the meal cost? Thanks!

celticdog

Wow! I just checked out the TexasBrazillian Steakhouse and it look amazing! How much does the meal cost? Thanks!

Locally, Texes de Brazil is about $45 per person, not including drinks or dessert. Sometimes thay have specials on Sunday and Mondays for as little as $30 per psrson.

It ain't cheap, but it is the best buffet ever!!!!

stratman50th

My biggest problem with WDW (in terms of food) is not the actual price, but the quality. People here have mentioned that when they are on vacation they don't want to cook or eat homemade snacks... I can understand that but at the same time I do not want to supplement this task with overpriced, poor quality food options.

I don't mind the random snack here and there... in fact, I love a fresh popped popcorn on Main Street, thats my thing. But to rely on WDW for a week of food... thats rough.

My last trip was spent off site, I know... shame shame. We rented a car and made it a #1 priority to get to the local Publix. We picked up a number of snacks, fresh bread and deli meats. My handmade (boars head) sandwich is better than any wrap at WDW... period.

I totally under having some ADR's for dinner... in fact I have my whole trip booked up for dinner but when it comes to snacks and drinks, bring them from home and save!
I have to agree. After a week of chicken fingers, burgers, hotdogs, and fries, or those tiny packages of carrots or apples, I leave WDW craving a real salad. Even the buffets aren't that great, with the exception of trails end at the campground. That's the best kept secret on the property. It's just that there isn't a lot of variety. Many of the sit down restaurants are good, but getting in can be a problem. We have found that the meal packages aren't cost effective for our family, so we don't use them. Much to our dismay, we found on our last trip, people were making reservations in all the parks so they would have a sit down restaurant available no matter where they were. It made things nearly impossible for you to get in if you were a walk up. The prices really are outrageous for what you get in my opinion.
We normally bring breakfast type food with us and eat it in the room before hitting the parks. We also pack in lots of snacks. Dinner is our big meal of the day and we try for the nicer restaurants. (Love Ohana!). We always drive so there is a car available. The stay is a week minimum so that's a 7 day parkhopper pass. We don't mind leaving the property for awhile to eat since we normally come back to the room for a nap, or to enjoy the pool around lunch. We're a Pepsi family, particularly for me Diet Mountain Dew. You can't get it on the property since they are a Coke seller. I got to pack it in with me from outside. There are some good spots, or signature dishes to be had, but for the most part, the food quality really isn't that great. Having a full kitchen in one of the villas is the best of both worlds. (I know, people don't go on vacation to cook, but frozen pizza, sandwich fixings, and TV dinners fill the bill). Yeah for Old Key West!

Silver Figment

I personally think the food is just fine and the cost doesn't bother me because going into the parks i'm expecting those prices so i plan for it. Packing a lunch is also workable, i just doen't want to leave the park for that long. Oh, and bringing a bottle of water is important because i don't feel like paying 3 dollars a bottle in park.

Lucky

If you're there for more than a few days the CS food can get tiresome.

But it's usually better quality than stadium/arena food at pro sports events, and even priced a little better.

britdaw

I never thought I'd be reading those two thoughts together, ever.
Awwwm what's wrong with Cracker Barrell? LOL My family has a little tradition of stopping at one every time we travel, so I'm sure we'll be doing it on the way to WDW, only on the way down or back- not while we're in the park.

We don't plan on eating every single meal in the park. I'm bringing bottle water and snacks like packs of crackers and stuff for us to bring in a backpack, and we'll stop at a grocery store somewhere to get food to keep in the room to avoid eating lunch in the park every day. But it's my opinion that you don't really get the full experience if you don't take advantage of those amazing restaurants and stuff in the park. We can't wait to take our kids to the Rainforest Cafe, Pizza Planet, and of course do a character breakfast with the princesses.

mickeyjak

When we do Disney with a family of 5 we plan on eating our big meal at lunch - usually around 2 or 3:00. You pay the lunch price and portions are much more appropriate. We order groceries and have them delivered to the park ($15.00 delivered) and have breakfast in the morning as everyone wakes up starving - usually bagels, cereal, yoghurt and fruit. We are then hungry for a big meal at lunch time and have a counter service or Downtown Disney meal for dinner. We bring refillable water bottles and use the fountains - the water doesn't taste bad. Also the portions are HUGE so sharing a meal is never an issue either.

Go to the parks - stay at the parks - eat earlier - enjoy!

Life is too short to drive around for the cheaper meal - do some research and you can feed a family of 5 (42, 41, 16, 14, 12) for $750.00 for a week at Disney and still enjoy Le Cellier, Biergarten, Columbia House, and many more.

MansionGoer13z

LOL! OMG I'd hate to try water you think is bad!
I drink Disney fountain water because it's wet. It's normally hot as well as funky tasting. That being said I've done the same thing refilling bottles.

I bet that's swamp water you're drinking! Call me paranoid but the only water I drink is either bottled spring or purified water or the Good ole' treated and Flouride enhanced water of my hometown Bowie Maryland. So yeah I'm always bringing in 3 liters of water into the park with me.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I bet that's swamp water you're drinking! Call me paranoid but the only water I drink is either bottled spring or purified water or the Good ole' treated and Flouride enhanced water of my hometown Bowie Maryland. So yeah I'm always bringing in 3 liters of water into the park with me.

worry much?

Mikester71

Very cool tip and suggestion...thanks for sharing! :wave:

EDIT: Just registered on their website and checked out their menu and this is a DEFINITE visit for us in March when we are down there! Thanks again!!

Replying to myself here :p, but after re-reading this thread, realized that we never did make it there. Always next time I guess! ;):ROFLOL:

Mikester71

This is the first trip I left WDW REALLY disappointed with the food options and pricing. Mind you, we usually ate breakfast right in our room thanks to a quick stop at the Sam's Club and Target Superstore on the US-192 just down the road from Pop (literally 5 minutes away). And most of our dinners were eaten right in Pop's cafeteria. But we were still paying close to $60 for the four of us to eat there every night. Thank goodness we bought the refillable resort mugs or that would have been WAY higher due to the heat the whole time we were down there! Plus, if we ended up getting snacks (ice cream) or drinks (dole whip floats) for the four of us at the parks during the day or evening, that was another $20 plus right there! :brick:

We tried Earl of Sandwich and Rainforest Cafe for the first time this trip and we weren't overly impressed with either of them. We all found Rainforest Cafe to be WAY overpriced, loud, and the food was just okay to us. We didn't really order anything that big or extravagant (hamburgers and such) and still ending up spending either just under or just over $100 for the four of us after adding in the tip. REALLY!?! $100 for hamburgers!!!! And Earl of Sandwich was a big disappointment to me too. I read SO many good things about it on here and there prices seemed pretty decent. Until you realized that the $5 price was for JUST a sandwich! You want a bag of chips or a little cup of fruit or vegetable sticks...add another $2. Oh yeah, you want a drink with that! Add another $2-4 to that. So it even ended up costing us over $40 just for sandwich lunches! Call me cheap (which I am :lookaroun), but that seems a bit pricey! Don't get me wrong, the sandwiches were good. But they did seem a bit small to me. Looked like you were only getting half the sandwich.

I know I come off sounding like a BIG complainer after this post, but honestly, I'm not. I realize we could have cut out a few Dole Whip floats here and there and maybe we had one too many Ghiradelli ice creams this trip, but like everyone says, you are on vacation and that is why you saved up for however long you saved for the trip. We realized that going into this trip. My friend always said we were stupid for not considering the dining plan all these years when we thought it looked like a complete waste of money for the four of us. After this trip, I would have to seriously reconsider that. We just weren't used to spending the majority of our trip money on dining and snacks. We went down with almost the same amount as past trips, but unlike past trips where we always seemed to come back with quite a bit of money left, we came home with next to nothing this time. We didn't even spend as much on souvenirs this trip. Like I said, I think we were both just shocked at HOW much we ended up spending on food, drinks and snacks.

Did we have a GREAT trip....heck ya! Would we change anything about it....heck no! We just realized that it is not cheap to eat or spoil yourself with Disney snacks and treats every day while you are down there. But like I said earlier (or someone said in another post), you are on vacation, so sit back and let someone else worry about the cooking and the food and just enjoy yourself! :sohappy:

Disneydreamer23

I go to disney NOT to worry about any thing so if its gunna cost me alot to eat o well! my finace and I get the quick serve dinning and we love it my fiance is 6 6 and 350 pounds so we end up spending more than 50 on lunch for 2 ppl we hit up hollywood and vine at least 6 times in a trip thats an easy 70.00 right there but well worth it i love sitting in the restaurants and as a child i remember my mom taking us to so many coool restaurants in disney! A good memory for me!

AlishaSimonLee

I don't mess with bottled water. You can go to any quick service restaurant and purchase only a 22 oz. cup of water for a cool price of $0.00. I'll purchase six at a time.

As far as dining? I find it cheaper that if you are staying on property to take advantage of the dining plan. I control the snacks and pool them together for our family. If staying off property, Hotwire a condo so I can get a two bedroom apartment with a kitchen and cook a large breakfast, take snacks to the parks, and go ahead and pack a cooler for dinner.

I've done vacations both ways and I find both ways very enjoyable.

Bri1121

I think some people have some good tips! We are going in July and I have two small kids, my son is a snacker! So we are going to stop at the grocery store and pick up some snacks to bring with us into the park, water and breakfast items. We did this last time and it was great!! We did have breakfast one morning at the Crystal Palace but the other days while DH and I were getting ready we had yogurt and fruit for the kids to be eating. It saved time and money. Kids can definitely share meals or share with me- not a big eater. We usually have a light lunch if anything at the park and dinner at a nice restaurant.

My mom and uncle will be there and will be staying at Old Key West. They will have stuff to eat and if we take a mid day break, we might head over there and eat some lunch!

We definitely budget to eat and budget for souvenirs! I get that many people go on a tight budget but I think going out of the park every meal is hard. And gas is expensive and time is precious! If you buy a great cooler bag you can definitely safely bring in lunch food or dinner.

I like having lunch as the big meal!!

Good tips!

AlishaSimonLee

And contrary to what people think, food IS ALLOWED into parks. Coolers ARE NOT ALLOWED. Insulated bags are not considered coolers. Ill bring food, but I can't be bothered with water.

coolmark18

You can go to any Counter Service in any of the parks and ask for a glass of ice water free of charge. You can use this to fill up bottles to constantly have cool water to drink throughout your day.

Mark

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom