Donald's Breakfastausaurus - Anyone else...

AEfx

...not like the fact that they take your picture and deliver a $26 photo package to your table without asking?

Although of course I knew better, some people seemed very confused, like "Did I order this?"

It seems like an awful waste - they print out tons of pictures (there were like 8x10's, keychains, etc.) and most of them get tossed.

And the pictures themselves are in front of a boring wall with a boring logo that you actually stand in front of and can't really see. Just seems like a very-un-Disney like practice.

Next time, I'm just going to decline to have the picture taken in the first place. If I'm going to pay for a picture, I'm going to pay for one in front of the Tree of Life or something else interesting. I have no problem saying, "no thank you", but not everyone does and I'm just surprised at how it works there.

Do any other character meals do the same? Anyone else feel they should stop this like I do?

AEfx

PS - I did write a nice note to guest relations about this - if you feel the same I recommend you do the same.

lawyergirl77

That is positively shameful... I would have written to guest relations too, had I gone in there. It makes it look like some cheap tourist trap. Ick. Just ick. I've never bothered with the Breakfastausaurus because of all the terrible reviews I've heard, but this cements it!

As for the other character meals, they definitely don't do it at the Crystal Palace or at O'Hana for breakfast... yes, there is an option at the latter for you to get your picture taken outside, but it is very clearly optional!!!

Upvote 0

AEfx

Original Poster
I actually *liked* Donald's, besides this photo thing.

If you have an early PS (ours was 8:10) the service is very attentive and the food was quite good - I *LOVED* the breakfast pizza.

The only problem was going for 2nds - the first time I just got a little bit of a couple things to try out and figure what I wanted more of. When I went back, the line was HUGE. Took over 10 minutes just to get to the food the second time - it was a good thing the pizza was the first thing in the buffet. Then I got out of line and went back to the table. No one in that long line looked very happy, LOL.

I can't say I won't go back, but the picture thing has really stuck in my mind as something pretty negative. I wish I could remember what the girl said when she dropped the pics off at the table, but it wasn't "here is something for you to consider buying", it was more like "I'll be back to take care of this".

AEfx

Upvote 0

New2WDW

Chef Mickey's did...

Last year I took my wife and girls to Chef Mickey's for dinner and they guided us over to a big plate stood up on end with a sign in front and had us get our picture made. Since we have not gone to too many places like this we thought we had to. And later they dropped off a package at our table and the guy just looked at me until I took it (at which time I figured what was happening). I bought it only because the dinner was a birthday surprise for my wife.

Upvote 0

AEfx

Original Poster
See, that's why it is cheesy.

We are already paying a premium to have a character meal. It would even be another thing if a character was included in the picture - though the practice of just bringing it to the table like that still would be wrong. But in front of a silly logo, or giant plate, just seems...silly.

I know, I know - some people are going to say, "What's the big deal? Just say no!" which is accurate, but it seems as if they don't communicate the optional nature, or the exact details.

At the least, I hope this serves as informative to people who are in the situation - just decline the picture in the first place, unless you are interested.

AEfx

Upvote 0

New2WDW

AEfx said:
At the least, I hope this serves as informative to people who are in the situation - just decline the picture in the first place, unless you are interested.
AEfx

Exactly! I did this the next visit and all was cool! Good post and hopefully people will get the picture! (no pun intended):rolleyes:

Upvote 0

AEfx

Original Poster
New2WDW said:
Exactly! I did this the next visit and all was cool! Good post and hopefully people will get the picture! (no pun intended):rolleyes:

Thanks...it's doubtful they will stop doing it but hopefully if people know what's coming they don't get blindsided. As I said, there were a good portion of confused people - some thought it was included with the meal and didn't realize they would be charged for it, and some just had no clue at all.

AEfx

Upvote 0

Robfasto

They have been doing it for years at Chef Mickey's, we always tell them we are not interested. They proceed to tell us we don't have to buy if we don't want to but I always decline.

If you watch, most people buy the pictures packages when they are brought out to the table. I would say that the entire package cost Disney $3.00 to $3.00 to print out so the waste isn't that great compared to the price of the package itself.

Upvote 0

Raven66

When we went ot Chef Mickey's in 2002 they didn't do that. We stood in front of the plate, but they just gave us a slip with a number on it and said we could stop by to look when we were though. We didn't buy it, but there was never any pressure.

Upvote 0

KingStefan

They do this at Chef Mickey's, Hoop-dee-doo Review, Spirit of Aloha, Mickey's Barbeque, and maybe some others. You can always refuse to have your picture taken, although they don't make that clear, although if you ask they will tell you that there is no obligation. We have always had the pictures delivered to the table, and it was always clear that we didn't have to buy them. This is the only way, IMHO, it keeps it from being really cheesy. If this didn't happen with you, then the CMs didn't do it properly. I have never minded this, and often have bought the pics. It's not just the $3 to print the darn things, they've got a pro photographer there, and a lot of them take pretty good pics. I'm more offended by the pics at the rides like Splash, etc. (although I've bought some of these, too) and the exit to Imagination (which for me is a total waste).

Upvote 0

Woody13

lawyergirl77 said:
That is positively shameful... I would have written to guest relations too, had I gone in there. It makes it look like some cheap tourist trap. Ick. Just ick.
This is WDW. It is the biggest tourist trap in the entire world, but it isn't cheap. They have always used lots of deceitful practices to separate the tourists from their money. The "photo force" is just one small example.

Upvote 0

lscott933

well i let them take the pictures just so they can waste some money. i know i am not going to get them. let them take them away and waste there money.

Upvote 0

DonaldDoleWhip

I went to the Breakfastosauros in February, and our waiter offered us the pictures. She clearly said it was $26 and we didn't have to purchase it.

Did we just get lucky? At Chef Mickey's they've always offered us, too.

Upvote 0

no2apprentice

The three times we've been to Chef Mickey's and the one time we've been to Donald's at AK, they've always asked if we wanted our picture, then told us at the table to look at the pictures and they would return to see if we wanted to purchase. I guess consistant training is lacking in this area. I agree that any Disney employee (or a contracted person) shouldn't use any pressure tactics.

On the other hand, I don't think $26 for the circumstances is toounreasonable. You have a controlled photo of your entire group, no red eye, nice additions like the magnets and keychain (my wife has a couple of the magnets up at work), themed borders, all to help you remember that magical meal where the characters came to YOUR table for pictures and photographs.

Could Disney do it for less? Probably. Will they? Ha! It's Disney.

Upvote 0

Trishnh

we always skip the photo-ops at the character meals. They are too pricey and never come out nice anyway. My biggest 'beef' with Donald's is how they RUSH the characters so much! We go to many character meals and this is the only one where you are barely given any time for an autograph and photo! Every place else the characters spend a few minutes at each table, but not here.

Upvote 0

righttrack

I'm no fan of photo packages period. I like the photopass idea, and hope that it continues. That way, I can select my pictures, at home, in a sane, comfortable environment, where everyone can participate in choosing. To throw a package at me at a time like this is unappealing and unDisneylike, IMO.

Upvote 0

cj2me

I dont mind the idea, in fact Chef Mickeys took the BEST picture we had from the trip of our group. We also took the photo at Donald's but didnt purchase it because it wasnt any good. I dont mind the idea at all. In fact, I know a lot of people who use those pictures as Christmas cards.

Upvote 0

AEfx

Original Poster
righttrack said:
I'm no fan of photo packages period. I like the photopass idea, and hope that it continues. That way, I can select my pictures, at home, in a sane, comfortable environment, where everyone can participate in choosing. To throw a package at me at a time like this is unappealing and unDisneylike, IMO.

This is exactly why I *DON'T* have a problem with photographers in the parks anymore.

Before it was "buy it today or else" and it was just a way to seperate you from your vacation dollar while you were there.

With photopass, the sales pressure is off and you can do it at your leisure - both in terms of time and money.

I think what irked me about Donald's wasn't the fact that the picture taking exists, but that a huge package is delievered to your hands as the only option in a VERY high pressure situation - ending a meal, trying to get to the park, and with kids it must be even worse.

I'd be much less opposed if, say, they showed you ONE picture and offered you the package. But to have a half-dozen of them (or more?) show up like that, with no "you can buy just one" (which may be possible but was never stated) and trying to sell such an expensive item and just hand it to you - is very high pressure tactics. I know some people with less forthrighness then myself that would feel obligated since they print up so many for you - and I bet that's exactly what they count on.

Honestly, this is the first time I've ever felt this type of pressure at Disney, and while I obviously didn't let it ruin my experience, nontheless a month later I'm still thinking about it. It just struck me as very un-Disney. Yes, we know they want our money, but they usually aren't so cheesy about it.

AEfx

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

I don't mind them taking the pictures--we've only bought one set out of the many breakfasts we've done. I'm looking forward to the Photopass. I wish they would do this with all pictures, including ride pics. When you ride something 20 some-odd times during a trip, I'd like to be able to purchase the best shot--not spend 30 bucks on a picture to have the next time I ride look better.

Upvote 0

rosebud's mom

I had no idea about these photo packages. In December 2004 we had the Princess breakfast at Epcot and Cinderella's Royal table and did not have photos taken at either character meal.

I would think that far more would be purchased if it included a character in the picture.

I do, however, really like the photopass system.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom