Donald's Breakfastausaurus - Anyone else...

AEfx

...not like the fact that they take your picture and deliver a $26 photo package to your table without asking?

Although of course I knew better, some people seemed very confused, like "Did I order this?"

It seems like an awful waste - they print out tons of pictures (there were like 8x10's, keychains, etc.) and most of them get tossed.

And the pictures themselves are in front of a boring wall with a boring logo that you actually stand in front of and can't really see. Just seems like a very-un-Disney like practice.

Next time, I'm just going to decline to have the picture taken in the first place. If I'm going to pay for a picture, I'm going to pay for one in front of the Tree of Life or something else interesting. I have no problem saying, "no thank you", but not everyone does and I'm just surprised at how it works there.

Do any other character meals do the same? Anyone else feel they should stop this like I do?

AEfx

PS - I did write a nice note to guest relations about this - if you feel the same I recommend you do the same.

lebeau

On our first trip to Chef Mickey's we got suckered by the photo package. They were sitting on our table when we got back from filling our plates with no explanation. I foolishly assumed they were part of the price of the meal and was awed by what a nice bargain the meal turned out to be. Yes, I was so naive. Anyway, we bought the package because by the time anyone explained to us that there was a charge my wife was in love with her magnets and key chains. Not a big deal, but next time we won't be posing for a picture in front of a big plate ;)

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
In defence of the photographers we have had a few very nice pictures in recent years, which never used to be the case, and it makes an (un)pleasant change for me to be in a picture rather than taking them. However these tend to be the guys that loiter in the parks, can only thinkof two character photos that weve bought, oh and one at chef Mickeys, but that was the morning of Hurricane Charlie and it was a weird atmosphere.

Photopass sounds a great but already has there not been several stories on here about "lost memories".

Buying photos has always been my good ladys thang, and if she dosent like it she will just say no thanks. I think Id be very miffed that having had the picture taken that this was deemed as a confirmation of purchase. what happens if its an eye closed special, unless its to show future boyfreinds as revenge for all these teen tantrums.

I did think that the last time I dined with Donald, that it had become very rushed and conveyor like, which considering the cost I thought was a little cheeky.

Upvote 0

AEfx

Original Poster
lebeau said:
On our first trip to Chef Mickey's we got suckered by the photo package. They were sitting on our table when we got back from filling our plates with no explanation. I foolishly assumed they were part of the price of the meal and was awed by what a nice bargain the meal turned out to be. Yes, I was so naive. Anyway, we bought the package because by the time anyone explained to us that there was a charge my wife was in love with her magnets and key chains. Not a big deal, but next time we won't be posing for a picture in front of a big plate ;)

EXACTLY the point I was trying to make.

I'm sure this happens all the time.

I understand that Disney is always trying to make money and uses tons of "tricks" to do so, but not like this. I honestly think this is too deceptive.

When someone HANDS something to you, you assume they are giving it to you - especially when you don't ask for it.

If anyone else feels the same, please e-mail guest relations : wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

AEfx

Upvote 0

AEfx

Original Poster
rogerrabbitfan9 said:
Someone mentioned that Donald's is rushed, can someone compare it.

The characters are moved around rather quickly, but that's expected. Enough time to take pictures with everyone, and of course taking more time for families with small ones.

However, watch out for that buffet line! It gets VERY long - don't expect to get 2nds because you will wait 15+ minutes to get them. I usually like to sample then decide what I want, and that doesn't work at Donalds. Even with two buffet lines, it was still crazy.

Food was very good though. If you can get an early (8am) seating go for it - but the place was mobbed after that and I wouldn't recommend a later seating.

AEfx

Upvote 0

KevinPage

Just ate there for the 2nd time last weekend and loved it. We didn't bother even posing for the photo as the background is boring & I have enough photos of all of us anyways, so they never bothered us at our table about it.

Obviously if you pose for the photo you know they are going to try and sell it to you, jsut like any other picture a park photographer takes.

Is this considered tacky since they bring it to your table? Depends on your perception I guess, but not the end of the world to me.

I encounted a 2 miute line my first trip and when I went for "Seconds" there wasn't any line.

Upvote 0

AEfx

Original Poster
Actually, the point I was making was that some people are unaware that the picture was not included with the meal. They herd you over to have your picture taken without telling you why, and as one family posted above when they were handed it they thought it was free. Not all of the people who drop them at the tables explain this - in fact the one I had just uncomfortably handed it to me and said she'd be back to "take care of it". Nothing else. *I* knew better, but not everyone would.

As to the buffet line, you are lucky. The morning I went it was the opposite. We were the first seated and went up to a fresh buffet with no people, and 15 minutes later the place was mobbed. I guess it just depends on the day you attend.

I liked the breakfast, and will likely be going again (as it's nice to have a sit-down in the AK). It wasn't the end of the world to me - and I don't think I said that it was in this thread - but it has been in the back of my mind as virtually the only negative thing that happened on my last trip. To be honest, it made me uncomfortable, and from the words and faces of those seated around me I was not alone. Either that or they were confused.

I just think it's in poor taste to deliver a picture package with magnets, keychains, big photos, etc. when someone doesn't order them. People feel pressure under that type of situation, especially in front of kids. So, end of the world? No. But something that I feel strongly enough to say I don't feel it's right? Sure.

AEfx

Upvote 0

KingStefan

You know, AEfx, I never really thought about it the way you put it before, and I think I am coming around to your way of thinking. You see, we've been to plenty of places other than WDW where they take your picture and try to sell it to you later in very much the same way (dinner shows, cruises, all over Hawaii, etc.), so when we saw this at WDW, we just took it in stride. And we actually like the idea, because sometimes we buy them.

But it never occurred to me before that some people might not be aware of what's going on. When I think about it now, it's not hard to see how people might easily misunderstand.

Maybe a solution would be to put a discreet sign near the entrance to the picture queue that says something like: "Photo products will be offered for sale at your table. Posing for photos is optional."

I often see people who know the story by-passing the photo line, and noboby ever bothered them. I undertand that they get more business by just routing people over in that direction, but there should be some sort of notice posted for the incogniscenti.

By the way, we went to Breakfastosaurus a number of years ago and enjoyed it very much. It was the best breakfast we had anywhere (including 1900 Park Fare, IMHO) and the buffet lines were not bad. Sorry you had a less pleasant experience. I imagine it's the luck of the draw.

Upvote 0

AEfx

Original Poster
KingStefan said:
But it never occurred to me before that some people might not be aware of what's going on. When I think about it now, it's not hard to see how people might easily misunderstand.

Maybe a solution would be to put a discreet sign near the entrance to the picture queue that says something like: "Photo products will be offered for sale at your table. Posing for photos is optional."

I'm glad you understand why I felt the way I do. Like I said originally, I have no problem saying, "No thank you" myself. But it's a combination of the pressure ("Gee I HAVE to buy this since they printed it up...") and the fact that, out of the six tables that were within earshot of mine, half of them asked among themselves, "Is this free?" or "Did you buy this?" to the other parent.

KingStefan said:
By the way, we went to Breakfastosaurus a number of years ago and enjoyed it very much. It was the best breakfast we had anywhere (including 1900 Park Fare, IMHO) and the buffet lines were not bad. Sorry you had a less pleasant experience. I imagine it's the luck of the draw.

Again, I did enjoy the food very much. It was a peripheral warning to another poster about the lines. I think I just happened to go during the second "rush", and was spoiled with no line the first time. I just remember being surprised at how long it was. It was worth it though to get more of that breakfast pizza - it was absolutely delicious!

I likely will be visiting on my next trip with my family, because the food was so good and it was nice to be in AK that early, but I just didn't like the lack of information they give about the photos. It just felt like they were counting on confusion and obligation to sell an expensive photo package. As I said in my first post, it would be one thing if they printed one photo up to show you, but putting together a complex package with many photos just seemed overkill to me.

Thanks for your post!

AEfx

Upvote 0

tigger1968

I seem to recall asking at Chef Mickey's if we had to get the whole package, and we were told no, that we could just get whatever we wanted ala carte. But we got the whole thing anyway, as it was a birthday trip. :rolleyes:

I do agree they apparently need to be more forthcoming about the additional charge, but I have to admit that we were given very good instructions regarding purchasing the packs on two different trips to Chef Mickeys, and at Breakfastosaurus as well. Maybe it depends on your server. Does anyone know if there are incentives for them to sell them? I would assume so.

I don't have a problem with the packages per se, because for most people, a trip to WDW is an infrequent trip, so these type of things have a high value as a reminder of a big vacation. For those of us who have the bug, I like the fact that you can merely skip it all and enjoy the meal.

And we thought that Breakfastosaurus was the best breakfast in WDW as well! :)

Upvote 0

pinjim

AEfx said:
...It seems like an awful waste - they print out tons of pictures (there were like 8x10's, keychains, etc.) and most of them get tossed. QUOTE]

Consider, when you only have approximately $2-$3 invested in materials and time for the quick 10 second photo session, I'm sure the profit outweighs the cost by a large margin. Afterall, most people on vacation, especially at Disney, are hungry for any type of souvenior.

I know Disney does similar at Hoop-de-doo and Chef Mickeys.

It sounds like you've taken good mental notes on this learning experience at Disney. Only buy those good photos.

Upvote 0

Kadee

The way they were presented is just wrong and almost deceitful. We had our picture taken at Hoop-Dee-Do. We bought the package BUT, the person came up to our table and very clearly explained that we could purchase any of the package and they would be back towards the end of the meal to see what we wanted to do. We bought it because we almost NEVER get good photos with all three of us. I have very expensive cameras and am very careful about who I get to use it. So one of us is usually taking the picture. That's why I LOVE the photographers in the parks. I just found out that I can ask THEM to take the picture with MY camera (the ones in the parks, not Shows, etc) and they will. I guess I can trust a professional photographer with my camera. :animwink: I still have the magnet from HDD on our refridgerator.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

I'm trying Breakfastosuarus for the first time at the end of the month and appreciate all the thoughts expressed here.

I'm not a fan of cheap shilling at the dinner table.

I have purchased the packages when with a large group, but not if just one or two of us are there. I'm fortunate to be able to go more often, so I don't really need another one from the same restaurant each time, unless they finally change the background scene they make you stand in front of.

I'll let you know how I make out after the trip!

Upvote 0

KingStefan

tigger1968 said:
I seem to recall asking at Chef Mickey's if we had to get the whole package, and we were told no, that we could just get whatever we wanted ala carte. But we got the whole thing anyway, as it was a birthday trip. :rolleyes: ...
By the way, on our last trip, for the pics at The Spirit of Aloha, we asked if we could swap out one of the key chains for another magnet, as both pairs of grandparents like them and we really have no need for the keychains, and they said yes. Then the person who re-delivered the package to the table said he put an extra magnet in and we could keep the keychain at no extra cost. So you can try to do some sort of bargaining, at some stations at least, if you want to. Can't hurt, anyway!

Upvote 0

ArtieFufkin

We've had a mixed bunch some really good pictures and the odd awful one too.
I have to say we've never been pressured to buy one and have actually asked for another as the first didn't suit!

Upvote 0

SANDKRUSER

While we love Chef Mickey's, we don't like the "herding" us over to the plate to get our photo taken. And the first time, we did buy the package because it was there on our table when we got back from the buffet. I'm kind of a chicken and felt obligated after I looked through them. We were not really given an explanation until someone came up and asked how we wanted to pay for them. "ROOM CHARGE" (seems to be the first thing that comes out of your mouth when asked to pay for something at the World) :lol:

However, on subsequent trips, we go with the "herd", and then look the pics over and decline if they're not good. We have on several occasions just purchased one 5 x 7 or wallets from the package - they don't offer it as information but if you ask, they definitely will let you buy one. The cost is higher but still much less than the package (which is too big and, after you take out a wallet and a couple of magnets, most of the pics will sit in the cellophane with the other photos). So you CAN buy just one if you like the photo. This is the only part of Chef Mickey's I don't care for. At O'hana, they ASK you if you want your photo taken - they don't TELL you to go stand in another line (which most people think is a seating line, instead of the photo line). We've had people around us confused about the packages too - most of the time, I'll try to let them know the "411" on it. It is confusing for a first-timer.

Upvote 0

TrentMom

Breakfastaurus vs. Chef Mickeys

Hi. This my first time here. I am trying to figure out how to start new threads I guess? My husband and I are planning on taking a trip to Disney World Dec. 2006 with our son, how will be a few weeks shy of his third birtday. I was just wondering, which restaurant people liked better, Chef Mickeys or Donald's Breakfastaurus:

Thanks
TrentMom:wave:

Upvote 0

SANDKRUSER

I'd go with Chef Mickey's. Characters don't seem to be as rushed. Buffet is good, just be aware of the photo thing. We usually just take the photo and then look it over. You can buy just one set of wallets or one magnet if you want to - it will cost more but much less than the whole package. I've got several of these packages sitting in the wrappers at home. We took out a few magnets, etc. and the rest just sit.

Characters are dressed as chefs with hats, except Minnie, who is in her usual attire. Our first experience, my son was 6 and a "little" frightened by the size of the characters, but they're very sensitive to that and usually will crouch down by the table so they don't appear so foreboding. You'll have a good time at either.

Be advised too that it takes a while to get to the Contemporary as most of the time if you're staying on site you need to go to the Magic Kingdom and then catch the resort monorail which comes right into the Contemporary (which actually is a fun experience too). Breakfastasaurus is in the Animal Kingdom (Dinoland) and quite a walk from the front of the park, so plan accordingly there too. Figure it will take an hour to 1-1/2 hours to get there from your room.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

I ate at both Chef Mickey's and Breakfastosaurus last week. While we have done Chef Mickey's before, this was my first experience at B-O-S.

I have to say, the food at BOS was good, but the layout of the place is TERRIBLE!!! It's the only buffet I have ever been to where it is placed right in front of the entrance door! In order to keep buffet people from blocking the entrance, and those just coming in to be seated from mixing right into the food line, they have ropes guiding the line in front of the buffet. This makes it all but impossible to get second helpings of anything you might want off the hot table without waiting through the entire line again! I found that awfully strange, and, as a result, will not go back there again. Bad system! On top of that, we never saw our server after she seated us because other tables were apparently more needy than we were! :rolleyes:

Also, as mentioned earlier, the place is so spread out and divided into tiny rooms, that the characters seem rushed through just to make sure they get to see everyone before the tables turn.

At Chef Mickey' s both the decor AND the food are of better quality. Our servers every time have been great! Also, no "roped off" buffet as at BOS so if you want seconds on hashbrowns, you can go get them!

As far as the pushy Photographer issue that started this thread, we were not even offered a picture at BOS, but did see them taking pics on our way out. My guess is the photog showed up late and missed the first seating completely!

At Chef Mickey's we simply bi-passed the picture alotgether and went right to our seats, as we have done the pics there in the past.

I'd definitely recommend Chef Mickey's over BOS unless you absolutely feel you must be in Animal Kingdom before it opens and can get an early seating, becaue that was the only positive.

ENJOY!

:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom