Does Disney "comp" the customers?

BriJul

We've gone 6 times in the last 3 years and the last 2 times we went we got free room upgrades. When we went to Animal Kingdom, they hooked us up with a Deluxe View, and when we went to Wilderness Lodge, they gave us the best room in the lodge, top floor right smack in the middle overlooking the entire resort and lake.

Just wondering becuase both times we just reserved a regular room.

MichRX7

Premium Member
I've never been *upgraded* since we usually camp at FW, but they are always willing to listen to where I'd like to put the 'old Airstream and try and accomodate me as best they can (think Loop 100). The closer to the docks the better. :D

Upvote 0

WDWFanatic

I had heard a while back that disney was going to, or already had in the works a way to track their customers. Whenever you were on their websites, your hotel key purchases, etc.. I'm sure that they know what disney stuff I purchase on my Disney Visa as well. They said from this info they could send you coupons and advertisements for things that interested you.

Upvote 0

Enderikari

Two quick notes:

1. All this mention of the word customers is making me pull my hair out... Don't know what it is, but ever since being on my program down there, a "customer" is anybody going anywhere non-Disney. Walt Disney World doesn't have customers, it has guests.(Sorry, semantics and Disney Magic and all that, you have my permission to flame me)

2. Disney will comp its guests when it is available, usually later in the day (when it is less likely the room will fill) and always to exceed expectations. Don't expect it, and let Disney Magic run its course.

Upvote 0

netenyahoo

At Disneyland we were upgraded to a theme park view at the Paradise Pier hotel. They said it was because there were several openings for that view. We were very surprised and delighted. We have stayed at only Disney hotels since and loved the service.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Yes, upon check-in, we have been "comped" an upgrade at several Resorts.
This past vacation, on 12/26, we arrived at 10:26 at night and we were surprised to have been given a free upgrade to water view at Yacht Club. Even more surprising was the fact that the room we were "upgraded" to had not been full cleaned yet. So, they comped us our dinner the next night at ESPN Club. It was very nice of Disney, on both accounts.

Upvote 0

TravisMT81

mkt said:
That's not always the case Travis... I've been upgraded at WDW resorts with no additional charge, by simply asking if there was anything available. Never at the GF though... then again, I've never stayed at the GF
true but there are a lot of policies and procedures that aren't followed :lol:

There are many reason why people are upgraded but sorta like Turkey, I am not going to go into those.

Upvote 0

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
TravisMT81 said:
true but there are a lot of policies and procedures that aren't followed

best tip I ever learned working for Disney. 80% of the rules were written to be broken.

Upvote 0

The_CEO

The jackass who took our reservation at the Contemporary lost it or rearrranged it or what not. So when we got there.. We weren't in the computer.. Talk about a great start to a disney vacation, then we talked to the manager, and he took care of us. We showed him we did pay for our tower room. We had a bayside view... But he pulled strings and we were sitting on one of the top floors staring at Cinderella's Castle by the end of the night! :)

Upvote 0

Nansafan

Enderikari said:
Two quick notes:

1. All this mention of the word customers is making me pull my hair out... Don't know what it is, but ever since being on my program down there, a "customer" is anybody going anywhere non-Disney. Walt Disney World doesn't have customers, it has guests.(Sorry, semantics and Disney Magic and all that, you have my permission to flame me)QUOTE]

Thank you for saying that. It's been bugging the heck out of me too. My sister worked at the Disney Store in Niles, Illinois when it first opened and she told us that the word "customer" generally meant a problem patron and if a person was referred to as a "special customer" the store was watching them because they were suspected of being a shoplifter.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

The_CEO said:
The jackass who took our reservation at the Contemporary lost it or rearrranged it or what not. So when we got there.. We weren't in the computer.. Talk about a great start to a disney vacation, then we talked to the manager, and he took care of us. We showed him we did pay for our tower room. We had a bayside view... But he pulled strings and we were sitting on one of the top floors staring at Cinderella's Castle by the end of the night! :)

That is what always worries me. We always check a couple of days before we leave just to make sure everything is set. I would hate to travel all that way to find out we have no room. Always keep all your paperwork with you.

I would never ask for an upgrade, book the room you want & can afford. If you get upgraded, great. If not sit back & enjoy the vacation you planned. :wave:

Upvote 0

MichRX7

Premium Member
Being comped or not being comped, Disney still has magic. I have a million (well maybe less) stories about things like this. Our last trip I was talking my two Grandkids with us for the first time and my Granddaughter and Wife were told when we made our reservations (way in advance) that Cindy's breakfast was the only one that had a 60 day out instead of the usual 90. Well, my wife and granddaughter (who is 5) marked the calendar so they could start calling 5 mins before 7 am to try and get a table. About 75 days out I decided to double check the 60 day time period and was politely told policy had changed back to 90 days and it was completely booked.

Now I was a bit unhappy when I came home since I had to sit her down and try and explain how these things can happen, but the look on her face prompted me to write an extensive email to customer relations. Then I started my every other day routine calling to see if someone cancelled and booked us in over at Norway for breakfast. (Yes, I hear Norway is good, but still it's not the castle to a 5 y/old)

I made one last desperation call two days before we left and of course the castle was booked. I also needed to try and cancel one seat since her Aunt had backed out on the trip. As the young lady looked up my Norway reservation she suddenly asked, "Mr. Ewles, why is it you are trying to book a second reservation at the castle during your stay?"

Let's just say I almost dropped the receiver. Somewhere along the line my message made it somewhere and she gave me my Cindy's res#. I cancelled the Norway breakfast and I'm not sure who was smiling bigger, me or my granddaughter when I told her. When we arrived I promptly took her on a boat ride to the Contemporary, and then the monorail to the MK gates so she could get her first look at the castle. I'm not sure what she was thinking except she was hugging me pretty hard and I was feeling like it was my first time viewing it as well.

9 months later she still will periodically come over and hug me just to say thanks for taking her (and to ask when we are going again of course, lol).

Upvote 0

TURKEY

tigsmom said:
That is what always worries me. We always check a couple of days before we leave just to make sure everything is set. I would hate to travel all that way to find out we have no room. Always keep all your paperwork with you.

I would never ask for an upgrade, book the room you want & can afford. If you get upgraded, great. If not sit back & enjoy the vacation you planned. :wave:

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Why can't more people be like you?

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Upvote 0

LadyDarling

MichRX7 said:
Being comped or not being comped, Disney still has magic. I have a million (well maybe less) stories about things like this. Our last trip I was talking my two Grandkids with us for the first time and my Granddaughter and Wife were told when we made our reservations (way in advance) that Cindy's breakfast was the only one that had a 60 day out instead of the usual 90. Well, my wife and granddaughter (who is 5) marked the calendar so they could start calling 5 mins before 7 am to try and get a table. About 75 days out I decided to double check the 60 day time period and was politely told policy had changed back to 90 days and it was completely booked.

Now I was a bit unhappy when I came home since I had to sit her down and try and explain how these things can happen, but the look on her face prompted me to write an extensive email to customer relations. Then I started my every other day routine calling to see if someone cancelled and booked us in over at Norway for breakfast. (Yes, I hear Norway is good, but still it's not the castle to a 5 y/old)

I made one last desperation call two days before we left and of course the castle was booked. I also needed to try and cancel one seat since her Aunt had backed out on the trip. As the young lady looked up my Norway reservation she suddenly asked, "Mr. Ewles, why is it you are trying to book a second reservation at the castle during your stay?"

Let's just say I almost dropped the receiver. Somewhere along the line my message made it somewhere and she gave me my Cindy's res#. I cancelled the Norway breakfast and I'm not sure who was smiling bigger, me or my granddaughter when I told her. When we arrived I promptly took her on a boat ride to the Contemporary, and then the monorail to the MK gates so she could get her first look at the castle. I'm not sure what she was thinking except she was hugging me pretty hard and I was feeling like it was my first time viewing it as well.

9 months later she still will periodically come over and hug me just to say thanks for taking her (and to ask when we are going again of course, lol).

What a touching story! It almost makes me want to have kids.... almost! LOL Can I rent your granddaughter out for a trip? J/k

Upvote 0

Mr Smee

tigsmom said:
That is what always worries me. We always check a couple of days before we leave just to make sure everything is set. I would hate to travel all that way to find out we have no room. Always keep all your paperwork with you. :wave:

We stayed at CSR for my cousins wedding one year. When we went to check out we recieved a bill i nan excess of $200.00. There was a paperwork error upon check in. The resort billed us for Holiday season when we paid for value season. Luckly we had brought all paperwork with us and it was quickly resolved.

We have been upgraded at no extra cost twice, once at CR for our Honeymoon (we told the CM) and at Wilderness Lodge. We recieved a pool view instead of a woods view because we asked for bunk beds (for DD) and the room wasnt ready yet.

Upvote 0

LadyDarling

tigsmom said:

Very true! :) We did once book a room at the All Star Music though, and let them all know it was our anniversary. We were still placed between 2 rooms with screaming crying children all night long. We tour during the off season, so we called the front desk and asked if we could be moved, explaining it was our anniversary (we are childless). They actually were going to charge us to move into a smoking room. Now, being from California, I'd rather put a pillow over my head or crank the radio to sleep (to cover the crying - which one night didn't stop from 11pm - 4am) than wake up with soreness in my chest from breathing in the stink of cigaretts all night long.... Thankfully, both groups checked out 3 days into our stay.

Needless to say, we've since booked higher quality rooms at other Moderate hotels. That's the only time we've asked for "special treatment" from a Disney resort... and were turned down flat - with no offer to call us if something else became available.

I've always wanted to try a deluxe resort and with a year now to save up, I'd be thrilled even if we ended up staying in a standard room! :sohappy:

BUt - like you - we also call a few days before we leave to make sure everything is in place!

Upvote 0

tecowdw

I once was upgraded to a totally different resort (now that I recall it after reading these posts). We had a late night arrival (around midnight) so we booked a one night room at All-Star Music. When we checked in, the CM offerred us a move to then Dixie Landings at no extra charge. We graciously accepted and the CM promptly made a phone call (presumably to DXL), transferred our deposit in the computer and off we went. Got to DXL, checked in (with a minor computer glich on my transferred reservation - which was taken care of failry quickly) and headed to bed. It was a nice suprise, although I never knew why we were offerred such a thing.

Upvote 0

AEfx

TravisMT81 said:
true but there are a lot of policies and procedures that aren't followed :lol:

There are many reason why people are upgraded but sorta like Turkey, I am not going to go into those.

LMAO.

Then why bother posting?

Some people...

AEfx

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom