DLP Mini Trip Report - Dec 2001

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I just got a back from a great trip at DLP, so thought I would mention a few things that may be of interest..

CROWDS
- Very low - basically everything was pretty much walk on, even with the attractions only running at half capacity (pirates was only loading one dock, Space Mountain was only loading from one sie etc). We got to ride Space Mountain 6 times without getting off the train! (which was fun!) :)

CLOSINGS
- Timekeeper is running on a reduced schedule.. instead of being a continuous show, it now has a bout 6 scheduled performances per day. Each time we went it was packed.

- Autopia is closed as usual at this time

- Some restaurants are seasonally closed, with some oeponing on certain days only.

RESORT
- Stayed at Cheyenne, everything there was fine, security at resort was highe than in the past.

- Modem points are available in the room (RJ11 connector type), and you have to notify the front desk that you wish to place International calls, and provide them with a credit card number

PARK
- Space Mountain is looking as good as ever, most lights are now fixed on the roof (just 1 green ring remains out). Smoke effect and some of th motion is working on the cannon, still no recoil effect though)

- Condition of attractions is top notch. No signs of skimping on maint. here

- Tree Lighting ceromony is superb - they improve on this each year

- New Christmas Firework show is nice. Not as good as any of the WDW pyro shows, but a first for DLP at Christmas, and it shows they are moving in the right direction.

SHOPS
- Merchandise at DLP is terrible. They have no attraction specific items, just generic Disney things that you can buy at any Disney store. They really need to work on this, they are selling nothing like the volume that is sold at WDW.

NEW PARK opens March 16 2002
- still not enough internal promotion for this new park. There are some ads running on maps etc, but it doesnt tell us any reald etails about the place. The unofficial fan sites are still the best place for any info.

- they are still working on the park around the clock, they were visibly working through the night under huge floodlights.

- The pink lighting on the entrance archway looks terrible, it needs to go!

- I am still concerned this park isnt going to stand up on its own. It has nowhere near the amount of attractions that MK has, and I fear it will be bashed like DCA. However until Phae 2, I am looking at this as more of a new LAND, as park hopping is available, and the parks are so close.

Think that is about all for now! :)

Dumbo Deprived

Your mini-report brings back memories. My husband and I were at DLP in 1998. I can't imagine riding SM 6 times in a row. It is an incredible ride. :D I think it is almost time for us to return. I guess we should wait until the studios open though (and we have some money :lol: ).

I am so glad they are keeping the parks up. We have relatives in Europe who have not yet been. We keep encouraging them with no luck as yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom