DisneySea Tower of Terror

TDRFAN

ridden it, it had nice effects and a fantastic queue and preshow, but it really is just DCA all over again...not as great as the Florida version.

as for TDRFan's reasons why he doesn't like the Tower, it's all mostly irrational and hating for the sake of hating. The tower is supposed to look old, dilapitated and spooky, it kind of is supposed to help with the whole tower of terror thing.

Not really. It's purely my opinions only, so take it with a grain of salt. Both Tower of Terror's have their ups and downs, and it's only my taste. I would appreciate you don't jump to conclusions, especially calling me irrational.

Madison

I'm going to dare posit that DCA's Tower is, in all avenues except its outdoor queue and surroundings, superior to every other version of the ride built. It loses some presence in the park because it's tucked away in the corner and doesn't see the same benefit that MGM's ride has by being the cornerstone of a whole themed area, but the design of the interior of the attraction is in every way better than the original ride.

The basement queue is fantastic, elevating (forgive the pun) the concept borne in Florida to a new level of detail. Where in Florida the ambience was creepy, DCA's Tower feels like it has a legitimate connection to The Twilight Zone, a time and place where those stories were real. The ride itself is a more tightly woven narrative and the elimination of the Fifth Dimension scene really helps it to move along.

In my estimation, that scene suffers from being too slow, too long, with too little to see and much too much of a feeling of safety. It's entirely apparent that you're driving along a floor and the mechanical shaking and vibrations are ignored rather than worked into the story, so it feels then more than any other time, very much like a ride; a mechanical system. DCA's horizontal movement, pulling back away from the elevator doors, is smoother and faster and more disconcerting.

The mirror show scene adds interactivity to the ride that used to exist in Florida's Fifth Dimension scene but no longer works. Moreso, it focuses the riders' attention on something else so that the beginning of the drop sequence comes as a complete surprise.

Even the attraction exit is a bit better, I think. The varied hallways feel more like a hotel to me and that there are, even though we'll never explore them, other paths to take beside the one that goes to the gift shop :p

TDRFAN

I'm going to dare posit that DCA's Tower is, in all avenues except its outdoor queue and surroundings, superior to every other version of the ride built. It loses some presence in the park because it's tucked away in the corner and doesn't see the same benefit that MGM's ride has by being the cornerstone of a whole themed area, but the design of the interior of the attraction is in every way better than the original ride.

The basement queue is fantastic, elevating (forgive the pun) the concept borne in Florida to a new level of detail. Where in Florida the ambience was creepy, DCA's Tower feels like it has a legitimate connection to The Twilight Zone, a time and place where those stories were real. The ride itself is a more tightly woven narrative and the elimination of the Fifth Dimension scene really helps it to move along.

In my estimation, that scene suffers from being too slow, too long, with too little to see and much too much of a feeling of safety. It's entirely apparent that you're driving along a floor and the mechanical shaking and vibrations are ignored rather than worked into the story, so it feels then more than any other time, very much like a ride; a mechanical system. DCA's horizontal movement, pulling back away from the elevator doors, is smoother and faster and more disconcerting.

The mirror show scene adds interactivity to the ride that used to exist in Florida's Fifth Dimension scene but no longer works. Moreso, it focuses the riders' attention on something else so that the beginning of the drop sequence comes as a complete surprise.

Even the attraction exit is a bit better, I think. The varied hallways feel more like a hotel to me and that there are, even though we'll never explore them, other paths to take beside the one that goes to the gift shop :p

Great job! That was a well worded paragraph that describes exactly why I think DCA's version works better. Thank you. :sohappy:

Rayray

I never said I wanted to move TDS's Tower to MGM Studios. It wouldn't work at all, as they're both from different time periods and locations.

And yes to the comment about TDS's Tower being elaborate. They obviously spent a lot of time and money on the structure.

No, you misinterpreted my post. I was using elaborate as a verb. I meant for you to explain about the front tower not being connected.

TDRFAN

No, you misinterpreted my post. I was using elaborate as a verb. I meant for you to explain about the front tower not being connected.

Oh I see. Here's what I mean:

dscf0356pk7.jpg

DigitalDisney

So what part isn't connected? It sure looks like one single building to me.

The front building is just a facade, and probably hides some of the ride's mechanics or electrical system. The tower is still the tower. The show building is behind the tower instead of in front of it. I bet there's a damn good reason why the front tower "isn't even connected to the main tower."

And knowing that the very front of the tower isn't even connected to the main tower just about ruins it for me.

Is it because it's out of scale and mixes a bunch of architectural styles together? If so, that's what makes it unique!

Wow. Just wow. I'm so dumbfounded, I don't know what to say...

So Hightower's building is out of scale, mixes different styles, and doesn't even look like your average building in NYC (the city it's supposed to mimic). Usually, that would be bad or tacky. But it's unique (and at TDR), so it's a positive aspect.

MGM's tower is unique (and practically designed), and it almost completely ruins a ride experience, without even setting foot on the ride?

So an angle that you never really see ruins a ride experience? You will never see that angle from any standard view, unless you have extremely tall legs and like walking around backstage. This is the first time I've ever seen that angle, and it doesn't bother me at all having now seen it.

Do any showbuildings at TDR bother you?

Just wondering...

TDRFAN

So what part isn't connected?

The front building is just a facade. The tower is still the tower. The show building is behind the tower instead of in front of it.

If that bothers you, then...wow....

It doesn't really bother me, and I'm glad it's different from DCA's.

I don't really have a favorite Tower either, since I'm not a big fan of the attractions.

Rayray

Wow. I did not realize the gap between the facade and the ride system was the large. Appears that this might be a little forced perspective.

TDRFAN

Wow. Just wow. I'm so dumbfounded, I don't know what to say...

So Hightower's building is out of scale, mixes different styles, and doesn't even look like your average building in NYC (the city it's supposed to mimic). Usually, that would be bad or tacky. But it's unique (and at TDR), so it's a positive aspect.

MGM's tower is unique (and practically designed), and it almost completely ruins a ride experience, without even setting foot on the ride?

So an angle that you never really see ruins a ride experience? You will never see that angle from any standard view, unless you have extremely tall legs and like walking around backstage. This is the first time I've ever seen that angle, and it doesn't bother me at all having now seen it.

Do any showbuildings at TDR bother you?

Just wondering...

I was judging them both on their architecture, not the actual ride. It doesn't take a genius to see that Tokyo's had more money spent on it, mostly on the building I'm guessing. You can hate it if you want, but I don't see any faults with it. I'm not an architect, hence why the obvious problems are oblivious to me. Tokyo's tower just "looks" better to me, but I'm guessing the overall experience will be somewhat on equal footing with MGM's. I do not judge an attraction on the show building because that's just stupid and unfair.

And just because my username is TDRFAN, that gives you the idea that I'm 100% biased towards everything there? Wrong. Just because I appreciate quality in Disney does not mean everything at Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea is perfect. I have my beef with their version of Tower of Terror as well, especially how they designed the post show area.

Also, couldn't you have posted a new comment instead of editing your old post? Not only does that make it seem like I ignored your comment, it's easy to miss.

psion

tower is awesome man

I have studied it in and out.

Anyways, I wondering why no one has notice. (and this is the nitpick I have with Tokyo TOT)

there is NO HALLWAYS scene. If you look closely, we arrive at Harrison Hightower's penthouse room. Becuase right in front of the elevator is his BED on the right side. And you can tell, it is a big room, with big windows (the ones seen from outside of the building) with moonlight shining in.
with the end of the room (where harrison was blasted into the shaft) was the main elevator shaft.

I actually liked this room, because it is beautiful. But the problem, no one actually really realize that it is the top floor room. Because the design where the room is connected to the projection screen is too similar to the hallways scene from the original, you think it is a hallway, but instead it is Highttower's room.

After seeing it, I feel like I missed the Hallway. Because I thought to myself. Wait, that is the whole point of TOT, see the hallway, it makes you feel like you ARE in A HOTEL.

Since the fact, that The Boiler Room are no longer there, OTHER than the lobby itself, there isnt a feeling of a HOTEL, rather just a building. I like the room idea, but you will miss the hallway scene.

Also, I know this whole cursed idol theme is to cater to Japanese taste, like I siad about on the penthouse scene. Supposefly, hightower before he was zapped into the shaft, he was suppose to be a living being (but for some reason is transparent blue projection). So another thing I miss is that fact, the original focused ON the 4 GHOST. you know, more creepy. Ghost calling for you in the hotel hallway. But in this TOT, you are supposely just watching a FX reenactment of what happened to Hightower that night (zapped into Utundu dimension) So while it is original story, and REALLy great for the Japanese. (I design attraction in Japan, so I really know) the story is fit for Japanese to follow. BUT it really loses the Twilight Zone's ghost creepiness. So seriously, it is just a Indiana Jones adventure cursed idol elevator drop. and NOT "ghostly" "demonic 5th dimension" creepy haunted drop. That that kinda sucks

Overall. Great design everywhere. So detailed, it is sick. I think that is where the money went.

Last nitpick. Since loading zone is theme to storage rooms (you know, secret wall that opens) there is no more of the "floor indicator" you know, when you wait, the dial goes to 13 then to B1 or something. so missing the number 13 suck too since Japanese knows "4" as a bad number and not "13"

psion

wow after reading the press release again from OLC. yep quote

the tour takes guest from the lobby, private office (preshow), then to the top floor penthouse.

yep, no hallway scene.

also, i found a interesting thing. While the number 13 is not promoted like state-side TOT the story that harrison disappeared on the new year even of 1899. And the current setting of Tower is 1912. Excatly 13 years later. hmmmmm. kewl

Damien666

To me this is how I think of it.

TDS is better then MGM's and has found a way to make DCA's format actually good. I've always liked MGM's better the DCA's for certain reasons.

To me DCA's is pretty weak in the full immersion department. It doesn't know what mood to give you since the tower looks brand new. The lighting is pretty off with it's bright colors in the boiler room, there's a boiler room "Face" which makes it more cartoony. That and the blank hallway to the cars is just pointless to have in the first place. It makes you go "?" in a bad way.

While TDS gives us tower that looks kinda new, but you can't help but feel something bad happened. The preshow is fantastic, that and due to the good storyline the hallway to the elevator cars makes sense. Sure the ride is short but the theming and storyline alone makes it better then both American towers.

andre85

"Meh."
- My reaction to TDS's ToT.

Great exterior, but everything after gives the feeling that the designers didn't really know what they were doing. The story feels shoe-horned into the attraction, the new vault or whatever is a poor fit thematically, and the the entire ride just lacks the atmosphere and class of MGM's version.

I would have much preferred a new attraction entirely than this water-downed substitute.

Meh.

SirGoofy

Okay I'm confused. What's going on story wise here? Is the idol actually attacking you? Or is this all a show put on for the tour?

Other than that the ride seems interesting. I like the disappearing idol preshow. Thats a really cool effect.

darthjohnny

Okay I'm confused. What's going on story wise here? Is the idol actually attacking you? Or is this all a show put on for the tour?

Other than that the ride seems interesting. I like the disappearing idol preshow. Thats a really cool effect.

Think of it as an episode of The Twilight Zone where the idol curses the hotel...only it's not The Twilight Zone, if you can understand that. :lol:

P.S.
Yay! Post #980. Only 20 more until the big 1000! :D

TDRFAN

"Meh."
- My reaction to TDS's ToT.

Great exterior, but everything after gives the feeling that the designers didn't really know what they were doing. The story feels shoe-horned into the attraction, the new vault or whatever is a poor fit thematically, and the the entire ride just lacks the atmosphere and class of MGM's version.

I would have much preferred a new attraction entirely than this water-downed substitute.

Meh.

Different tastes. Personally, I thought it improved on MGM's version in every way possible. I'm not a big fan of the Twilight Zone, nor the cheesy 5th dimension room. To me, it felt like they just added it in for the sake of making the ride longer. And DCA's is just poor on theme and execution, though I love the drop profile (way more intense than MGM's). TDS's major advantage is the magnificent attention to detail and the theming in and out of the attraction. At least now we have 3 unique variations of TOT, but TDS's is still my favorite.

SirGoofy

Think of it as an episode of The Twilight Zone where the idol curses the hotel...only it's not The Twilight Zone, if you can understand that. :lol:

P.S.
Yay! Post #980. Only 20 more until the big 1000! :D

Okay, yea I guess I get it. The TDS version is pretty cool, but I think I prefer WDW's. I feel like WDW's gives you a sense of dread and danger throughout the whole queue, whereas TDS's is kind of innocent with all its bright colors in the lobby. Plus the boiler room is much more scary than a vault.

TDRFAN

Plus the boiler room is much more scary than a vault.

Not really. There are torture devices and mutilated statues of idols in the "vault" that gives even me nightmares! :eek:
Seeing as how this is a WDW based forum, I can understand why people prefer WDW's ToT. Anyways, as far as overall experience goes TDS's ToT is the best one in my opinion.

SirGoofy

Not really. There are torture devices and mutilated statues of idols in the "vault" that gives even me nightmares! :eek:
Seeing as how this is a WDW based forum, I can understand why people prefer WDW's ToT. Anyways, as far as overall experience goes TDS's ToT is the best one in my opinion.

Eh, I can see where you're coming from. For me being in a dark, dank boiler room is just creepy. Brings thoughts of Freddy into my mind. Also, the flashes of electricty near the elevators are awesome. I like the story a lot more at WDW. I feel like it's more comprehensive. I feel like your just a dumb tourist(even though that's what we are according to Rizo:lol: ) in the TDS one. Where as your a person investigating this old hotel in WDW. IDN, some people like chocolate, some like vanilla.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom