Disney's Q3 FY15 Earnings Results

Nubs70

Some CapEx numbers:

Parks and Resorts
Domestic CY: 1,002 PY :809
International CY: 1,644 PY: 1,056
Total Parks and Resorts CY: 2,646 PY: 1,865

Capital expenditures increased from $2.2 billion to $3.1 billion primarily due to higher construction spending for the Shanghai Disney Resort.
Roughly $800 MM increase??

Capsin4

From the call... domestic parks....

Attendance up 4%

Occupacy up 5 to 87%

PRGS up 4%
90% is about when they used to consider adding capacity. I'm sure with the conversion of rooms to DVC, higher occupancy will be more sustainable and maybe they'll consider adding more rooms at the lower end.

Cody5294

Gotcha. But at this point other than a record smashing performance across all categories will put Star Wars in the shortfall category. I feel expectations are already through the roof. Every analyst is putting the low end of gross at 1.5-1.7 billion.
I'd say 1.5 billion is a realistic expectation

twebber55

I totally agree, but placing 1.5 billion as the absolute worst case scenario makes me wonder what people are expecting from Star Wars to exceed expectations. I feel like even passing the 2 billion mark will only be perceived as "okay" the way its been hyped up.
agree...in order to even approach 2 billion a star wars movie has do 1.3 billion internationally and the most a star wars movie has ever made internationally is 550 million...not saying it wont happen but it wont e as easy as some think
I ve seen every star wars movie in the theaters and im more excited for this one than any other

TP2000

Best quarter ever at DL for attendance and profitability.

Which is quite notable since the Disneyland Diamond Celebration didn't start until May 22nd, almost two thirds of the way through the third quarter of April-May-June.

From my not so amateur observations of Disneyland crowds this summer, or the fourth quarter of July-August-September, things have never been busier at Disneyland especially with big spending tourists with funny accents (Seoul or Sydney or Osaka, and also Salt Lake). Although I'm not surprised, since the Diamond Celebration really is quite brilliantly offering up a great experience for locals and tourists alike.

Last edited:

jt04

I totally agree, but placing 1.5 billion as the absolute worst case scenario makes me wonder what people are expecting from Star Wars to exceed expectations. I feel like even passing the 2 billion mark will only be perceived as "okay" the way its been hyped up.

No because we will be getting a new movie every year. A successful launch ;) will make the franchise bigger than the success Marvel is enjoying by far far and away.

Last edited:

jt04

Dear Mr Bob. Pwease fix Futureworld and spacemountain now thank you.

Mr Bob has built a foundation for the next CEO to do awesome additions to the parks beyond what we know is already happening. I am applying.

Job #1 should be giving FW and TL an actual identity and mission statement. IMO.

jt04

In other news, the gloomy doomy brigade could not be reached for comment. Seems they prefer to drop off the grid rather than admit being wrong.

~stormy weather~

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Let's deconstruct the wonderful earnings report

1 - increase at P&R once again driven by price increases and service cuts - no organic growth once again
1A - PRGS up by 4% magically that's just about the number blacking out the maingate passes would provide
2 - Decrease in ad rates especially at ESPN because of declining ratings (what's that about people don't care about the on camera talent)
3 - Increase in costs in China
4 - No mention of the mythical DHS overhaul budget.

Oh and the 'Street is beginning to wonder whether Iger's TWDC is indeed a 'House of Cards' interestingly enough TWDC is the most shorted stock on the NYSE that speaks volumes about how the 'Street views TWDC Sources someone asks? here's one, The remainder is an exercise for the reader.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/05/02/wall-street-doesnt-trust-disney-should-you.aspx

Also DIS is down in overnight trading mainly because DIS missed earnings estimates,

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1324...hours-trading-following-earnings-release.html

Brace yourselves kiddies for the next round of cuts at WDW it's gonna be brutal between now and FY16 end. As Iger and the BOD must make it a record year.

And if SW does not make at least 2.0B well it will be a wild ride...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Gotcha. But at this point other than a record smashing performance across all categories will put Star Wars in the shortfall category. I feel expectations are already through the roof. Every analyst is putting the low end of gross at 1.5-1.7 billion.

It COULD do that if it's well done, If it's like the second Avenger's movie (unfinished plotlines, tie ins to future movies etc) it will be lucky to break 1B, I hope they allowed Abrams to do a good standalone film, If not well it will not be pretty.

rael ramone

1 - increase at P&R once again driven by price increases and service cuts - no organic growth once again
1A - PRGS up by 4% magically that's just about the number blacking out the maingate passes would provide
2 - Decrease in ad rates especially at ESPN because of declining ratings (what's that about people don't care about the on camera talent)

Oh and the 'Street is beginning to wonder whether Iger's TWDC is indeed a 'House of Cards' interestingly enough TWDC is the most shorted stock on the NYSE that speaks volumes about how the 'Street views TWDC Sources someone asks? here's one, The remainder is an exercise for the reader.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/05/02/wall-street-doesnt-trust-disney-should-you.aspx

Also DIS is down in overnight trading mainly because DIS missed earnings estimates,

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1324...hours-trading-following-earnings-release.html

Brace yourselves kiddies for the next round of cuts at WDW it's gonna be brutal between now and FY16 end. As Iger and the BOD must make it a record year.

As I posted in the Spirit thread, a LOT of time was spent on the conference call on ESPN. Both the Weatherman opening up the call defending it, and later LOTS of questions from analysts who asked again...and again....and again....about ESPN.

The Street expected much, MUCH better from them... a record is not good enough... It's now down 8% from yesterday.

What else is priced in is SW being the next Avatar. Anything less than that and the price will get hit further. To beat that (or even Jurassic World) it has to deliver the higher priced 3D tickets with the public going back for more, and more, and more...

The new stuff at the parks is IMHO relatively safe (though can always be scaled down)... Though the parks will be expected by the Street to help make up any difference where gains elsewhere aren't where they used to be or expected to be.... which means a price increase/service cut cocktail...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It COULD do that if it's well done, If it's like the second Avenger's movie (unfinished plotlines, tie ins to future movies etc) it will be lucky to break 1B, I hope they allowed Abrams to do a good standalone film, If not well it will not be pretty.

I think quality problems with Ep 7 will have minimal impact on it's box office (unless it's REALLY bad), where it may hurt is in the box office of subsequent movies.

PhotoDave219

How on earth can you have the best quarter ever and that misses Wall Street expectations?

Are these people on cocaine?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom