Disney's Q2 FY15 Earnings - Increase in WDW attendance and guest spending

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Perhaps you can explain to someone ignorant about how these things work, but Why must charging privileges be attached to the admin band if the owner of the admin band does not want it? And I don't see how it is the same as a hotel putting a credit card on hold for incidentals; if I tell the hotel I do not want the ability to charge incidentals to my hotel bill, then they will not allow me to charge, and will not put the card on hold. As a matter of prior experience, every time I check into a hotel they ask me would I like to leave a credit card to use for incidentals, and that is my decision, not theirs. I can understand charging the account for the room fees when I check in, but it makes absolutely no sense to me that I must accept charging privileges against my magic band.
It is also for if you cause any damage to your room. I travel for business all the time, and I have never been able to tell a hotel NOT to have a credit card on my room for incidentals. They have all insisted, even if I tell them I will be paying cash for everything. What hotel allowed you to stay without putting a credit card on file with them?

BernardandBianca

It is also for if you cause any damage to your room. I travel for business all the time, and I have never been able to tell a hotel NOT to have a credit card on my room for incidentals. They have all insisted, even if I tell them I will be paying cash for everything. What hotel allowed you to stay without putting a credit card on file with them?

I didn't say that I didn't leave a credit card for room charges, I said that I don't have to leave a credit card for incidentals; if I trash the room, they have my credit card on file for room charges. And my comments are the result of stays at the Marriott chains, for waaaaaaaaaay more nights that I'd like to mention.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I didn't say that I didn't leave a credit card for room charges, I said that I don't have to leave a credit card for incidentals; if I trash the room, they have my credit card on file for room charges. And my comments are the result of stays at the Marriott chains, for waaaaaaaaaay more nights that I'd like to mention.
So you still have a credit card technically linked to your room, even if not using for incidentals, correct? This is what they mean by linked to the admin band.

I love Marriott as well. Lifetime Platinum member. :D

alphac2005

"guest spending growth" = magic bands do indeed make it easier to spend money.

I know there are those that doubt that, but it has totally been our experience that paying by touching your wrist to a reader makes impulse purchases VERY easy to make. We've definitely spent more per trip than we did before Magic Bands were implemented.

I completely believe that and have found it a little surprising that many haven't. Being on the business side of things, it's just like when you go to a checkout no matter what type of store, whether it's grocery, clothing, toys, and there are racks of impulse items most notably candy. These are very high margin products that people can't control themselves about.

Our house runs on a cash basis and some limited use of our other accounts. It's very simple: We pull a certain amount of cash out each week and do all of our weekly spending with the cash. What's leftover goes into a side fund for whatever the desire is for. We spend significantly less running on a cash only basis and have been doing so for several years. It's a lot harder to spend money in your wallet versus swiping. It doesn't matter your income, it works and it makes you very disciplined. I personally got tired of seeing how much was wasted and it just seemed pointless that the only thing that we were doing was helping add to the consumer spending side of the GDP. :)The Magic Bands take swiping to a whole other degree.

BernardandBianca

So you still have a credit card technically linked to your room, even if not using for incidentals, correct? This is what they mean by linked to the admin band.

I love Marriott as well. Lifetime Platinum member. :D

Just because I have a credit card linked to my room does not mean I want charging privileges linked to my band. Completely different.

And I likewise am Marriott Lifetime Platinum, along with lifetime Premier executive (or whatever its called now) on United.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Just because I have a credit card linked to my room does not mean I want charging privileges linked to my band. Completely different.

And I likewise am Marriott Lifetime Platinum, along with lifetime Premier executive (or whatever its called now) on United.
I guess since Disney is requiring it, it is a moot point. Also, since you have to set up a pin, even if you lose your band, it is very doubtful anyone could use it to purchase something in the time it takes you to get to guest services for a new band.

So why are you up in arms over something this trivial in the first place? :confused:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
We spend significantly less running on a cash only basis and have been doing so for several years. It's a lot harder to spend money in your wallet versus swiping. It doesn't matter your income, it works and it makes you very disciplined.
If it works for you, great. Sadly, it doesn't work for everybody. Happily, many others don't need it to retain discipline. Credit and room charging are both tools. Used poorly, the results are poor. Used wisely, the results are good.

You're confusing liabilities with loans. An easy way to spot their true "loans" are to look at their interest or deferred interest- almost non existent. The rest are revolving accounts for business transactions and is outweighed by trusts, taxes and other unpaid dues. It's just accounting. Of course Disney has revolving credit like any company of their size, but none of it correlates with their ability to fund a project especially here in the US. Elsewhere, for projects like building HKDL, Paris and parts of Shanghai, they're having someone else assume the liability and accrue that interest from any actual loans- but it's not on Disney's books (which is why DLP money woes weren't on Disney's books aside from uncollected royalties until Disney became their creditor). Even the extra money being dumped into Shanghai isn't a loan from a bank on Disney's end...

In fact, Disney made more money on interest with it's creditor status than it paid in interest to it's creditors last quarter. If anything, Disney should be taking the Fed gravy train and turn into a bank! :)

And since we're here to discuss balance sheets anyway, it might do some people good to look at the "Investments in parks, resorts and other property" portion. It seems to be the thing people are most up in arms over- lack of investment, right? I love how Disney's outlays for that division almost outweigh Universals entire revenue stream for that segment. :p

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
You're confusing liabilities with loans. Those are trusts, taxes and other unpaid dues, of which $3.3 billion is to be a creditor to Paris including unpaid royalties, $9 billion is for AP and $4 billion is in deferred taxes. It's just accounting. Of course Disney has revolving credit, but none of it correlates with their ability to fund a project. For projects like building HKDL, Paris and parts of Shanghai, they're having someone else assume the liability and accrue that interest- but it's not on Disney's books. Even the extra money being dumped into Shanghai isn't a loan from a bank...

In fact, Disney made more money on interest with it's creditor status than it paid in interest to it's creditors.

You said Disney doesn't borrow. Disney says they do. I can assure you that I am not confused about accounting.

The March 10-Q discloses total liabilities of $36 billion, of which $7 billion is AP and $4 billion is deferred taxes (you got one right). And $15 billion is borrowings.

I agree with you that Disney has the resources to fund any project they want. In addition to the borrowings disclosed, they have committed revolving availability of $6 billion, plus the ability (not contractually, but logically) to get much more. And you are right that Disney only funds a small portion of HKDL and Shanghai. Nonetheless, there are $15 billion of borrowings. You know..the kind that require the payment of interest.

Description of the borrowings from the 10-K:

U.S. Medium-Term Note Program
At September 27, 2014, the total debt outstanding under the U.S. medium-term note program was $13.7 billion. The maturities of current outstanding borrowings range from 1 to 79 years. The debt outstanding includes $12.6 billion of fixed rate notes, which have stated interest rates that range from 0.45% to 7.55% and $1.1 billion of floating rate notes that bear interest at U.S. LIBOR plus or minus a spread. At September 27, 2014, the effective rate on floating rate notes was 0.38%.
European Medium-Term Note Program
At September 27, 2014, the Company had a European medium-term note program, which allows the Company to issue various types of debt instruments such as fixed or floating rate notes, U.S. dollar or foreign currency denominated notes, redeemable notes and index linked or dual currency notes. Capacity under the program is $4.0 billion, subject to market conditions and other factors impacting our borrowing capacity. Capacity under the program replenishes as outstanding debt under the program is repaid. The Company had no outstanding borrowings under the program at September 27, 2014.
Foreign Currency Denominated Debt
At September 27, 2014, the Company had CAD 328 million ($294 million) of debt outstanding, which was borrowed in connection with the acquisition of Club Penguin Entertainment, Inc. in July 2007. This borrowing bears interest at the Canadian Dealer Offered Rate plus 0.83% (2.10% at September 27, 2014) and matures in 2017.
In July 2008, the Company borrowed JPY 54 billion ($538 million) of floating rate loans that had an interest rate of Japanese LIBOR plus 0.42% and which matured in 2013.
In September 2014, the Company renewed short-term credit facilities of Indian Rupee (INR) 11.4 billion ($185 million), which bears interest at rates determined at the time of drawdown and expire in 2015. At September 27, 2014, the Company has borrowed INR 5.4 billion ($88 million) under the short-term credit facilities, which bears interest at an average rate of 9.73%. Additionally, the Company had INR 9.1 billion ($148 million) of borrowings outstanding at September 27, 2014, which bears interest at an average rate of 10.49%, subject to annual revisions, and matures in September 2015.
Capital Cities/ABC Debt
In connection with the Capital Cities/ABC, Inc. acquisition in 1996, the Company assumed debt previously issued by Capital Cities/ABC, Inc. At September 27, 2014, the outstanding balance was $110 million, matures in2021 and has a stated interest rate of 8.75%.

And that interest paid on the borrowing was?

Again, they don't borrow from the fed, or anyone else. They have revolving/floating accounts for business transactions. The last time that Disney "borrowed" was out of necessity due to foreign holding requirements (ie: they were forced to assume the debt of a company they purchased outside the US). The last time they used American money that was not their own to acquire something was in 1996.

Between Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar, Disney spent $15 billion (more than 20% of that was assuming other debts from those companies) and none of it went onto Disney's balance sheets in the form of long term loans. Just like none of the billions in park development has either. Whether or not it's prudent to pay for $15 billion worth of companies out of thin air (market capital) is another thing, but that's what happened nonetheless.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
And that interest paid on the borrowing was?
According to the 10-K (you know this is publicly available, don't you?), cash paid for interest was $310 million for fiscal 2014. On average outstanding balance of about $14.1 billion, that equates to an effective cash rate of about 2.1%, oddly consistent with the disclosures I excerpted above.

Again, they don't borrow from the fed
You keep saying. Do you know what the Fed is and who the Fed lends to? Disney isn't eligible.

Again, they don't borrow from the fed, or anyone else.
So Disney is wrong to disclose its commercial paper as "borrowings"? I'm sure the Audit Committee would be interested. And the SEC.

They have revolving/floating accounts for business transactions.
Revolving commercial paper accounts are indeed borrowings. They are debt. For legal, accounting, tax, and bankruptcy purposes.

Between Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar, Disney spent $15 billion (more than 20% of that was assuming other debts from those companies) and none of it went onto Disney's balance sheets in the form of long term loans.
The Lucasfilm $4.4 billion acquisition price was paid about half ($1.9 billion) in equity and half ($2.2 billion) in cash. In the quarter the acquisition closed, Disney's cash balance changed by less than $200 million. However, it's "Borrowings" went up by $3 billion, $2 billion of which was long-term. Coincidence? Of course not. Disney tapped existing borrowing facilities (mainly medium term notes) to raise the cash.

About the only thing you have right is that Disney doesn't have to borrow. They choose to.

Nubs70

Disney doesn't borrow from the Fed or anyone else, they have a $180 billion market cap and bought back $8 billion in shares last year. In fact they're a quasi-guarantor for lots of ventures that they have stakes in.
No kidding. But with a low Fed rate,they can borrow far below their WACC to either:
  1. Pay down debt
  2. Build new attractions at a discount.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom