Disney's Planet of the Apes is not a reboot

erasure fan1

I find this franchise interesting. I was thinking about why/how they keep making these movies. What I found was, they aren't making these for the domestic cash. I was really surprised at how low the domestic box office really was. The foreign box was the vast majority of take. Film one, 64% foreign, two and 3 both 70% of the box office. So it's no wonder I felt like no one really cared, because they really didn't domestically.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I find this franchise interesting. I was thinking about why/how they keep making these movies. What I found was, they aren't making these for the domestic cash. I was really surprised at how low the domestic box office really was. The foreign box was the vast majority of take. Film one, 64% foreign, two and 3 both 70% of the box office. So it's no wonder I felt like no one really cared, because they really didn't domestically.
You need to make more international friends!!

doctornick

Sure. Special effects heavy action films with simple plots are often more dependent on international markets these days. Fast & the Furious and Transformers also fit that bill.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There is a great big world out there with many movies watchers. Over the last decade many American movies have tended to do better overseas than here domestically.

erasure fan1

There is a great big world out there with many movies watchers. Over the last decade many American movies have tended to do better overseas than here domestically.
Yea, I get that. It was more a point of I never really paid a lot of attention to the franchise. So I was surprised by the disparity. Not so much, holy cow! There's other people in the world that watch movies. A lot of the movies that I've noticed lately that did well overseas, did about equal here in the early films. Transformers, fast and the furious... All were about 50/50 in the first few movies or so. Apes? Not so much. It was never really close. Unless you count the 2001 reboot. But that was just bad all around.

Last edited:

TalkingHead

If a chintzy Godzilla/Kong movie can make $80m in a weekend, maybe there’s hope for this. The skimpy theatrical lineup certainly helps.

Tony the Tigger

While I still prefer the masked versions of the 70's over this modern CGI-fest, I'll be watching this as soon as it hits Disney+ or Hulu. Loved the last trilogy.
There’s a personal love for the original series for me. I remember watching as a kid, and my Dad bought the playset for me for Christmas in the mid-70’s.

I’ve never gotten used to CGI. I notice it too much.

But I’ll be at the theater to see this asap!

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney says Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes brought in $129 million at the worldwide box office this weekend.

"A new Kingdom reigned over the box office this weekend.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes — the latest chapter in the iconic Planet of the Apes franchise — took the No. 1 spot with an estimated $56.5 million opening at the domestic box office this weekend, exceeding industry expectations.

This is the second biggest domestic opening in the current Apes series and the biggest opening of director Wes Ball’s career.

The film — which stars Freya Allan, Owen Teague, and Kevin Durand — was a hit around the world notching $129 million worldwide for its debut."

More at the link below.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom