Disney's Planet of the Apes is not a reboot

MarvelCharacterNerd

If this flick doesn't fall off a cliff next week, and it actually turns a profit, no doubt we can expect a Planet of the Apes land in Animal Kingdom as Bob Iger's answer to Universal's Donkey Kong ride. šŸ˜œ
I would be SO down for that!

1715649375479.png

WoundedDreamer

Still early in the process, but it's looking like this film is going to be the weakest in the reboot franchise. Its inflation adjusted domestic performance is trending behind each of its 3 predecessors at this point. Its Chinese opening also was underwhelming. War for the Planet of the Apes was the film that immediately preceded this installment. Its opening weekend in China grossed around $75 million in 2024 dollars. By contrast, this new installment grossed just $11.3 million during its opening weekend in China. This was a pattern seen across international markets, with openings down in Germany, France, The United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Australia, Brazil, Mexico, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, etc.

To the credit of the team making this film, the production budget seems comparable or even slightly less than its predecessor. A good thing!

Everything I've said up until this point is objective. This is the speculation part... Treat it as such! I'm expecting the final gross to be in the $350-$450 million range globally. I'm expecting it to skew towards the lower end of that range, but this is still really really early. It could surprise on the upside. By comparison, the 2017 film grossed around $625 million in 2024 dollars. This would represent a significant reduction film over film.

I think the future of the franchise is up in the air. Disney has a few options...

1) Proceed with additional films with the characters introduced here. I think if this 2024 movie does very well on streaming that this could be a justifiable move. Box office performance obviously still matters, but if this film soaks in millions of streams then it might be worth it to keep on going. The franchise had been on a seven-year hiatus. Giving it a little extra time to recover and chart a new course isn't an absurd proposition.

2) Cancel the sequels and bring Serkis back for a prequel. This could be an effective move. It's akin to arguments to bring back beloved characters and cast to Marvel. Let the Caesar have another outing. But is this future proofing the franchise? Probably not.

3) Reboot the franchise (again). Is the 2011 movie's story coming to an end? TBD

4) Let the Planet of the Apes Franchise rest. This is probably not going to happen. haha

I'm inclined to think 1 or 2 will be Disney's preferred route. I'm going to be intrigued to see the streaming performance. That's probably really what will make or break the franchise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom