Disneyland's 60th Birthday: Rumors, Speculation and News

JediMasterMatt

Magical is ok. It has some good moments; but, the biggest issue is that its budget can't compete with RDCT - which it wasn't designed to. RDCT is a weekend show and Magical was designed for daily summer use.

A lot of my complaints with Magical were addressed this past summer when they added more pyro variety to it.

I still think Wishes is better than Magical as a nightly show; but, the gap is much closer than before.

My only regret with RDCT was that I as lucky enough to be really unlucky. Only 2 shows went off this past February when I had all my camera gear with me. The first cancellation was when I had my camera setup in the VIP section, which was a regrettable loss as it was windy all day. The second cancellation will haunt me forever. It was a PERFECT night for fireworks photography at Disneyland. It rained all day and was raining right up until about 30 minutes to show time. There was some wind; but, much less than the previous Sunday that got cancelled. Due to the lack of crowds, I had my D800e right under the rope at the castle forecourt with my 14mm and special ND filter on it. It would've been beautiful beyond description. The wet pavement from the compass would've captured the reflections from the burst perfectly. The shells were loaded, the Cast Members were told the show as a go and then... the wind picked up right before show time. As I said... I was lucky enough to have dreamed that it was going to happen... only to have it snatched from my grasp at the last minute. C'est la vie.

GiveMeTheMusic

I will stick up for Magical - it's a kick show, and this last year was its best yet with some amazing pyro. Soundtrack is beautiful (no singing Wishes moppets, my biggest negative for Remember) and Dumbo was amazing.

Believe has paled over time in comparison to newer shows. Hopefully it gets a refresh after the 60th promo is done.

GiveMeTheMusic

I don't think management views one show as "better" - that's subjective. I know some folks who preferred Magical to RDCT, so that's in the eye of the beholder.

Magical was created to add variety to the schedule, which is appreciated, considering when it premiered RDCT was already 4 years old. Unlike WDW, where the same shows get played out for 20+ years, I appreciate the effort to have rotating fireworks shows. WDW did it for one summer in 2010, and has been stuck on Wishes ever since (a mistake in my mind).

Wishes will finally get replaced in 2016, so it will have run 13 years with only a short interruption. I much prefer the current DLR model.

That said, it's likely the new show will play uninterrupted through the entire 60th promo. If the rumors of MHP moving back to DCA next year are true, then even Halloween Screams will get time off.

JediMasterMatt

I don't think management views one show as "better" - that's subjective. I know some folks who preferred Magical to RDCT, so that's in the eye of the beholder.

Magical was created to add variety to the schedule, which is appreciated, considering when it premiered RDCT was already 4 years old. Unlike WDW, where the same shows get played out for 20+ years, I appreciate the effort to have rotating fireworks shows. WDW did it for one summer in 2010, and has been stuck on Wishes ever since (a mistake in my mind).

Wishes will finally get replaced in 2016, so it will have run 13 years with only a short interruption. I much prefer the current DLR model.

That said, it's likely the new show will play uninterrupted through the entire 60th promo. If the rumors of MHP moving back to DCA next year are true, then even Halloween Screams will get time off.

I can only hope Wishes gets replaced or upgraded by 2016. Steve's had several concepts pitched to TDO; but, they've turned each of them down. When change does come to Orlando, let's hope that whatever projection mapping or mist screen action from Disney Dreams doesn't come at the expense of pyro.

Magical was added to be an alternative; but, it was also added as a cheaper alternative as show length and shells per show are much less than RDCT. That's been the main reason it has kept coming back each summer.

Travel Junkie

Looks like MiceChat was right about Fantasmic switching to FP

"Beginning December 12, a “Fantasmic!”FASTPASSwill be required to gain access to the show’s reserved viewing space. Beginning at Disneyland park opening, “Fantasmic!” FASTPASS distribution will take place along Big Thunder Trail in Frontierland. They will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis until one hour prior to show time or while supplies last, whichever comes first. Each “Fantasmic!” FASTPASS will indicate the assigned showtime, suggested return time and assigned viewing section. Also, a non-ticketed area will be available in the “Fantasmic!” viewing area each night for limited stand-by viewing on a first-come, first-served basis.

Guests will also have the option to receive a “Fantasmic!” FASTPASS with the purchase of new “Fantasmic!” dining packages, including dinner atBlue Bayou Restaurant, special table-service seating atRiver Belle Terrace, a new dessert party atHungry Bear Restaurant, on-the-go options and more.Check out all of the new “Fantasmic!” dining packages here.
Reservations for December 12 and beyond will be available for booking beginning November 12. Space is limited for these experiences, so advance reservations are recommended online atdisneyland.comor by calling 714-781-DINE (714-781-3463)."

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...tions-coming-to-fantasmic-at-disneyland-park/

Furiated

I'm curious about the River Belle Terrace one. It starts seating at 3 and says it includes a FP but that's the one dining location you could actually watch the show from, correct? Is there going to be a mad rush for reservations that coincide with the show times? Will people who are seated 2 hours before show time stick around so they can watch from their table?

George Lucas on a Bench

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. It could be an improvement, could be a complete disaster. Might fall somewhere in between. I kinda love the idea of getting a Fastpass for decent Fantasmic! viewing and not having to worry about camping out.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Maybe this is a local thing and I know where to go, but I've never had to wait very long. I can walk up 10 minutes before showtime and get a decent spot for F!.

Yes there are those few people that camp out for hours to be up front, but I never felt getting a decent spot was an issue if you are willing to stand.

Same. I've always been able to find a good spot right before showtime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom