DisneylandForward

TP2000

I haven't been keeping up on this too much... a friend was commenting yesterday that the eastern parking structure and harbor bridges are being dicussed again?

Yup. And it's the one thing they seem ready to move forward on ASAP. Also, it doubled in size since 2015.

Which tells me (just guessing, but seems likely) if they are worried about replacing parking capacity lost at Toy Story, that the first part of Disneyland Forward we'd actually see built and opened is the hotel/retail/dining complex built on the Toy Story lot to capture more of the convention center expense account business that Disney loses out on currently.

BrianLo

Seems to me, with the general downward trend in American malls, the last thing they really would want to toy story lot to build more shopping and dining options.

More hotels, sure. But I think there’s a better use for the toy story lot.

The Toy Story lot is interesting, because I think the fluff version previously floated wasn’t totally formed.

At its base it could just be a matter of getting high spending conventioneers on a Disney Springs equivalent to spend and dine. But it seems like there would be a bit more to it. It also seems like if that was an end goal, there’s been plenty of presented opportunity to take over garden-walk, which would actually provide quite a logical strip.

I haven’t seen much floated on yes still a bubble of hotel, retail and dining… but also a water park.

mickEblu

Seems to me, with the general downward trend in American malls, the last thing they really would want to toy story lot to build more shopping and dining options.

More hotels, sure. But I think there’s a better use for the toy story lot.

I think a West coast World Showcase or something similar would work well in that plot. It would be a highly themed “outdoor mall” with a hotel and a bunch of restaurants/ shops. Maybe the few attractions there are all “individual lightning lanes?”

TP2000

If I'm a betting man, I'd say the Eastern Gateway is first on the agenda and in use before the parking structure is finished. Once the entrance is completed, this allows the northern expansion of DCA.

Yes, good point on that. I had forgotten until you just mentioned it that a big part of the original Eastern Gateway plan from 2015 was to open up acres of park expansion for DCA north of the current Hollywood Land area, it what is now the bus depot plaza. Including the rerouting of the Disneyland Monorail to avoid that area.

That northern expansion of DCA still has to be in the plans for DisneylandForward, even though we've mostly been focused on the larger expansion areas west of Disneyland Drive.

disneyland-eastern-gateway-plans.jpg

truecoat

Yes, good point on that. I had forgotten until you just mentioned it that a big part of the original Eastern Gateway plan from 2015 was to open up acres of park expansion for DCA north of the current Hollywood Land area, it what is now the bus depot plaza. Including the rerouting of the Disneyland Monorail to avoid that area.

That northern expansion of DCA still has to be in the plans for DisneylandForward, even though we've mostly been focused on the larger expansion areas west of Disneyland Drive.

I assume this part in red is now in play. When this first started, there was a lease through 202? that I believe has now expired.

disneyland-eastern-gateway-plans.jpg

TP2000

I assume this part in red is now in play. When this first started, there was a lease through 202? that I believe has now expired.

View attachment 774996

Yes, that whole thing is up for grabs now. And it seems to have been redesigned a bit, and doubled in size.

If I remember right, the original plan was for a structure that had 8,000 parking spaces. But this new one has space for 17,600 parking spaces. They also gave up any plans for including a light rail/trolley stop in the complex, which was a part of the original mid 2010's concept. I would also have to imagine that space for Uber/Lyft has greatly expanded too, since that's a transit option that has only grown in the past decade, at the same time the trolley idea was cancelled.

The new version of this structure won't win any beauty contests though. You have to wonder why they keep going so cheap and utilitarian on these infrastructure projects? And it makes you wonder if they didn't learn the lessons of Michael Colglazier and try to spruce up the pedestrian bridges too. They need the locals to be charmed, not unimpressed.

w1200

DLR92

Umm...Disney should plaster abstracts of Mickey Mouse head silhouette all over the parking garage. That will beautify the parking garage with a charming feel. 🤣

PiratesMansion

Yes.

Eh, coolest =/= most beautiful.

People can certainly choose to ding Disney for their parking structure designs (or perceived lack thereof), but I'm not going to get too worked up if a parking structure looks like a parking structure. As long as it functions efficiently, that's what matters.

TP2000

Do any parking structures win beauty contests?

Well, no. But I bet a few might win if they called it a Scholarship Pageant instead. :cool:

They just don't have to look as plain and cheap and ugly as this latest Eastern Gateway concept.

There are plenty of big parking structures that do fun things with design, and artsy panels, and zippy lighting, and nice landscaping to make them look less ugly. Some of them actually look cool.

City of Hope, Duarte CA
COH-NEPS-4-1536x1150.jpg

CoH_NEPS-1-1536x1150.jpg

Santa Monica Civic Center

3santamonicagarage.jpg

But I found this one particularly hysterical... Kansas City Public Library's parking structure

kansas-city-library-parking-garage.jpg

BrianLo

As it pertains to the funding commitments, DisneylandForward is only being considered West of Disneyland Drive and East of Harbour. The current resort area is not being rezoned in the project - though obviously the Eastern gateway allows for that downstream small DCA expansion northward.

They still 'have to' do something with the Toy Story lot or westward Disneyland Drive to meet the commitments, in technicality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom