DisneylandForward

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They could, ya know, just build faster. I would think, simply, the revenue and attendance benefits to having Avatar and/or Tomorrowland open by the Olympics would offset the added cost of expediting construction (or moving simply at a normal, non-Disney snails pace).

But that's logical and we know logic doesn't always apply to these things.
I'm figuring an average of 3 years, which was the average Disney project prior to COVID, see GE. So if shovels hit the ground by late 2024/early 2025 that would put it around summer 2028 opening. That is if everything is ready to go with the site. Which is why I say a TL redo is probably the best bet for that, if its announced.

For Avatar, if its going in HL in DCA and including the existing Transportation Hub, that requires moving the Transportation Hub to the new location off Manchester first. And that means the Pumbaa structure would need to be built and finished before that, and that means the bridge across Harbor would need to be built and finished before that. Basically a lot of domino's have to fall before they can even start on Avatar. So yeah that is why I'm saying I'd be surprised if its done by 2028.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I don’t even know what I would want from an updated Tomorrowland, other than de-ugly.

Move star tours to G:E so they have a 3rd attraction, use building for queue in the replacement people mover / rocket rods 2.0, widen the bottleneck entrance, make autopia electric and add more show elements.. better theme space mountain entrance, new ride in innoventions building. Just a few rapid ideas off the top of my head.

TP2000

Except - and I very much could be in the wrong here - creating significant elevation changes on the tram route would also force a redesign of the tram tractors, as they're not able to pull the weight of the tram up a significant incline as-is. Tons of ways around this, but I do recall hearing this before.

Ooh, good point!

Yeah, those trams were designed for flat expanses of pavement, not going up and down inclines fully loaded.

I have to imagine that any pedestrian bridge over Disneyland Drive will bear the incline through ADA approved gentle grading on both sides of the road, and the roadway and (more importantly) tram route will stay the same.

D.Silentu

About Tomorrowland, while I agree it is certainly in need of sprucing up, I feel a little trepidation about it with a new Tron movie in production. The temptation to add the namesake coaster to Disneyland is probably strong, but ill advised. I would not oppose a Tron attraction, the series is a good fit for the land. Just not a roller coaster that would make Space Mountain and the Matterhorn look like hills in comparison.

denyuntilcaught

I'm figuring an average of 3 years, which was the average Disney project prior to COVID, see GE. So if shovels hit the ground by late 2024/early 2025 that would put it around summer 2028 opening. That is if everything is ready to go with the site. Which is why I say a TL redo is probably the best bet for that, if its announced.

For Avatar, if its going in HL in DCA and including the existing Transportation Hub, that requires moving the Transportation Hub to the new location off Manchester first. And that means the Pumbaa structure would need to be built and finished before that, and that means the bridge across Harbor would need to be built and finished before that. Basically a lot of domino's have to fall before they can even start on Avatar. So yeah that is why I'm saying I'd be surprised if its done by 2028.
Makes total sense. However, with the world looking at Southern California during the Olympics, DLR's best message out to the general public being "look, we finally fixed up a land we've let rot for 20 years" is terribly sad.

yensidtlaw1969

Random question, or maybe not so much..

if this passes and Disney focuses on Disneyland forward, what would that mean for a potential Tomorrowland redo? Are they gonna be so hyper focused on the new land that they'll ignore current lands that need attention?
From what I've heard, a Tomorrowland Redo was recently presented internally.

I've also heard those behind it were told to go back to the drawing board.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Makes total sense. However, with the world looking at Southern California during the Olympics, DLR's best message out to the general public being "look, we finally fixed up a land we've let rot for 20 years" is terribly sad.
Anything is possible, but I would think other projects could be done first before even TL redo and Avatar.

yensidtlaw1969

Hasn't that been the same thing for like the last 10-15 years? At some point they have to just move forward with it.
Not exactly - there was a pre-Pandemic Tomorrowland project that was extremely ambitious and had steam behind it. But it was paused like everything else was, and when the time came to unpause much of that team was no longer with WDI and it was too expensive for the new climate anyway.

This just-presented concept was a wholly new take from that one.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not exactly - there was a pre-Pandemic Tomorrowland project that was extremely ambitious and had steam behind it. But it was paused like everything else was, and when the time came to unpause much of that team was no longer with WDI and it was too expensive for the new climate anyway.

This just-presented concept was a wholly new take from that one.
2 Years ago @GiveMeTheMusic had alluded to an ambitious TL redo which included a PM revival and it looked to be all but approved and ready to announced at D23 in 2022 but they got cold feet at the last minute. So what happened to that?

mickEblu

Why work when you can festival ALL. YEAR. LONG. :p

(It's been an absolute madhouse at DCA the past two weeks since F&W started - but for the first time I was hearing a LOT of people complaining about the lines and portions. Because yeah.)

People finally caught on huh? I tried the cheeseburger Bao which seemed to be the standout item this year and it was also pretty meh. At least they only suckered me for $8 though as opposed to whatever those tasting cards cost these days.

MarvelCharacterNerd

People finally caught on huh? I tried the cheeseburger Bao which seemed to be the standout item this year and it was also pretty meh. At least they only suckered me for $8 though as opposed to whatever those tasting cards cost these days.
I really liked that bao - it's my fave item at the festival so far. And they did sucker me into the sip & savor pass because there were a lot of dishes I wanted to try and they're easier to swallow lol at $7 each than the regular prices.

But I wasn't the only one annoyed at a 20+ minute wait to order and another long wait to pick up at some booths. :( And the portions are definitely smaller with every festival.

But it was just utter chaos trying to get around DCA which is slammed with crowds. So again, why work?

:(

mickEblu

I really liked that bao - it's my fave item at the festival so far. And they did sucker me into the sip & savor pass because there were a lot of dishes I wanted to try and they're easier to swallow lol at $7 each than the regular prices.

But I wasn't the only one annoyed at a 20+ minute wait to order and another long wait to pick up at some booths. :( And the portions are definitely smaller with every festival.

But it was just utter chaos trying to get around DCA which is slammed with crowds. So again, why work?

:(

Was your bao hot? Mine was lukewarm like most other items I’ve ever tried.

I was at DCA Sunday night and it felt a little slow but this was around 6pm- 8:30pm and it was starting to get “cold.”

The festival food sucks. All of them. How can the garlic pretzel bread with fake cheese from Maurice’s Treats be better than anything I ever had at one of the food festivals? FWIW at least they are lively but bring a lot of traffic and crowds to that main walkway. Wish they would go away. I’ll even sacrifice the grainy version of Soarin Over California. Can they give it the 4K treatment or something? Or just reshoot the damn thing shot for shot and get rid of World.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Was your bao hot? Mine was lukewarm like most other items I’ve ever tried.

I was at DCA Sunday night and it felt a little slow but this was around 6pm- 8:30pm and it was starting to get “cold.”

The festival food sucks. All of them. How can the garlic pretzel bread with fake cheese from Maurice’s Treats be better than anything I ever had at one of the food festivals? FWIW at least they are lively but bring a lot of traffic and crowds to that main walkway. Wish they would go away. I’ll even sacrifice the grainy version of Soarin Over California. Can they give it the 4K treatment or something? Or just reshoot the damn thing shot for shot and get rid of World.
Yeah, all the food is lukewarm. Especially once you have walked far enough to find a place to eat it that's not on top of a trash can. :D

Vegas Disney Fan

We got 2 cards and felt we got our moneys worth, we also had quite a few cocktail though so that may have influenced how much we liked the food.

The Pb&j whiskey shake was delicious.

RescueTheDay

2 Years ago @GiveMeTheMusic had alluded to an ambitious TL redo which included a PM revival and it looked to be all but approved and ready to announced at D23 in 2022 but they got cold feet at the last minute. So what happened to that?
Can confirm some plans were prepared and ready to be announced at D23 2022. They were pulled at the very last minute from the presentation.

Nirya

I did the food festival yesterday and didn't have any issues. Actually felt this was one of the better-run versions of the festival, with a lot of people staffed working the various booths (both cashiers and food prep/serving) so we always got our orders relatively quickly. Food was also solid - cheeseburger bao was interesting as was the cheese pizza wings, but that might have been the best pork belly they've had in awhile and the Impossible items were really good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom