DisneylandForward

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The smart thing to do would be to reserve that area for theme park space, since it is easily connectable to Disneyland's main circuit. It is not zoned for theme park use right now, but that is what Disneyland Forward is intended to remedy. Someday, far into the future, they will want to use that lot for shows, rides and attractions, and the only way to achieve it will be to bulldoze both parking structures.

As I said in my original comment, I understand how during the Eisner era the parking structure had to go there. But Pixar Pals should have been built on the Pumbaa lot. Everybody knew it, and the only reason it didn't go there was Disney's stubborness - something about a bridge, I believe.
DLR is already short parking even after the Pumbaa structure gets built. Do you really think they are going to tear down both MF and Pixar structures? And where would they put their replacements that is close enough to the resort to be convenient?

DLR92

DLR is already short parking even after the Pumbaa structure gets built. Do you really think they are going to tear down both MF and Pixar structures? And where would they put their replacements that is close enough to the resort to be convenient?
The residents close by will have big hissy fit too.

I can’t see Disney removing both parking sturctures. It is an important feature for parking.

choco choco

Ok. Then there's no reason to talk about Disneyland expansion. If people aren't willing to give up the parking lot for more theme park space, then we're all good then.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ok. Then there's no reason to talk about Disneyland expansion. If people aren't willing to give up the parking lot for more theme park space, then we're all good then.

Maybe one day in 25-30 years they may look to tear them down but for now I doubt that is even being considered as part of the DisneylandForward proposal. All I was asking is where would you put the replacement structures as there isn’t enough spaces to the Pumbaa structure to handle those lost spaces.

But with all that’s said there is still areas to expand Disneyland across Disneyland Dr without tearing down the MF and Pixar parking structures. And that is what so far appears be what they have planned.

Last edited:

TP2000

“On Monday, March 11, the Planning Commission in Anaheim will vote on the DisneylandForward proposal.

If the Planning Commission approves the Disneyland Forward proposal, it will then need to be approved by the City Council. That meeting is currently scheduled for April 16.“

Per the other site.

Oh! That's tomorrow! :oops:

I have to think that the Planning Commission will rubber stamp this proposal. And then send it on to the City Council for an acceptable amount of pretending to ask important questions! and pretending to weigh the concerns of neighbors who are mad they won't be able to take Magic Way as a shortcut to get cigs and beer and beef jerkey from the Shell station on Ball Road (I can't judge, I've had similar-to-worse nights 50 years ago), before the City Council rubber stamps it a second time into creation.

mickEblu

One thing we learned tonight is that there are several DL buildings that have been earmarked as a historical landmarks.

DLRR Main St Depot
Hungry Bear
Pirates of the Caribbean

So funny. Was at the park today and had a Hungry Bear appreciation post all queued up. Hungry Bear is a gem that I don’t eat at often enough. Beautiful scenery. That new fried fish sandwich is solid. Good onions rings. Then you have this beaut…

1CC1A0C0-3A48-4EAA-8FFB-D087519C999C.jpeg

Been mobile ordering so long forgot this was here too…

24F3AE4B-C413-4420-BAD4-3ADB5723DF55.jpeg

All this to say long may the Hungry Bear reign. The people that wanted Hungry Bear to turn into Tiana’s Palace are nuts.

Had no idea it was a historical landmark. Hungry Bear but not the castle? Anyone have any idea why it’s a historical landmark? What does that really entail anyway? Does it mean that it’s protected in anyway or just that Disney would more likely try to preserve it for that reason?

I’ve been the Disneyland tour guide for the entire family since I was a kid. As early as 8 or 9 years old I can remember shepherding the herd and I would always make sure we ate at Hungry Bear.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So funny. Was at the park today and had a Hungry Bear appreciation post app queued up. Hungry Bear is a gem that I don’t eat at often enough. Beautiful scenery. That new fried fish sandwich is solid. Good onions rings. Then you have this beaut…

View attachment 772603

Been mobile ordering so long forgot this was here too…

View attachment 772605

All this to say long may the Hungry Bear reign. The people that wanted Hungry Bear to turn into Tiana’s Palace are nuts.

Had no idea it was a historical landmark. Hungry Bear but not the castle? Anyone have any idea why it’s a historical landmark? What does that really entail anyway? Does it mean that it’s protected in anyway or just that Disney would more likely try to preserve it for that reason?

You can read all about it here -

Basically from what I understand is that once it receives its status as a historical landmark that alterations are limited to cosmetic in nature, but cannot change the overall structure, ie cannot be torn down. So I don't believe it prevents a theming change, but it has to remain within the existing structure without major alteration.

mickEblu

You can read all about it here -

Basically from what I understand is that once it receives its status as a historical landmark that alterations are limited to cosmetic in nature, but cannot change the overall structure, ie cannot be torn down. So I don't believe it prevents a theming change, but it has to remain within the existing structure without major alteration.

Interesting that the theming has nothing to do with it. That’s too bad. The theming is nearly as important as its location in my book.

denyuntilcaught

Exactly.

The tram path is no more an impediment to resort expansion westward than that awesome break room behind Innoventions with the well-stocked vending machine and Judge Judy playing non-stop on a 50 inch TV is to a full Tomorrowland redo.
Except - and I very much could be in the wrong here - creating significant elevation changes on the tram route would also force a redesign of the tram tractors, as they're not able to pull the weight of the tram up a significant incline as-is. Tons of ways around this, but I do recall hearing this before.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh, what a beautiful fact that is. Wish the Haunted Mansion had that privilege.

It does seem very odd to me that Hungry Bear would recieve that status and The Haunted Mansion wouldn't.

Though it sounds like the designation is not quite as ironclad as it is in the outside world.
I think the major difference is that while DL HM is iconic the external part is really just a facade with elevators. The others on the list are actual functional buildings. I don't claim to be an expert on such things but it makes sense and explains why other attractions and such aren't included to be historical landmarks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom