DisneylandForward

choco choco

Just need to chime in and say, as someone from Vancouver with pretty fantastic transit… I was shocked when planning my trip to Universal / Disneyland, that the only real advice to get anywhere from LAX was to… rent a car?! What!

We are most likely just going to Uber to our hotel near Universal, and then take the train to Anaheim.

But it’s wild for such a big city.

How are you going to get back to Hollywood? The last train out of Anaheim back up to Hollywood leaves well before park closing. You’ll be losing a large part of the day if you are planning to catch that train.

truecoat

When you rely exclusively on public transportation, the grants the government the power to deny you your right to travel, as seen in China. I would much rather have to wait an hour in traffic than rely on public transportation for this reason alone.

Why would public transportation be the only way the government could stop you from traveling? If so inclined, the government could easily stop your vehicle either by tracking your phone or an automatic license plate reader if they were looking to single you out.

If you're waiting an hour in traffic, you'd be an easy target from the boogeyman government.

truecoat

Funny, but the US usually ranks in the top 10 based on GDP, I believe we're number 7 right now. And if we base it just on global economy we're number 1.

So yeah we're one of the richest nations in the world. And yet we can't solve simple problems like access to adequate public transportation.

GDP.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When you rely exclusively on public transportation, the grants the government the power to deny you your right to travel
You know that the government allows you to drive solely through a licensing grant from the government, right?

And you know that the roads you drive on are created by local, state, and federal governments, and they can decide to close any or all of them at will, right?

Consumer

You know that the government allows you to drive solely through a licensing grant from the government, right?

And you know that the roads you drive on are created by local, state, and federal governments, and they can decide to close any or all of them at will, right?
If the government outlawed driving and shut down all the roads, that does not stop me from grabbing my keys and driving. Trucks and Jeeps are fully capable of going off-road. While it would be illegal, it would not be impossible.

Public transit, on the other hand, is completely reliant on the government. If the government shut down the trains, you are now stuck and there's nothing you can do.

I've already said before I support public transit in major cities and California is certainly in desperate need of it, I just don't believe that needs to be at the expense of accessibility for cars. It is very possible to have both.

truecoat

If the government outlawed driving and shut down all the roads, that does not stop me from grabbing my keys and driving. Trucks and Jeeps are fully capable of going off-road. While it would be illegal, it would not be impossible.

Public transit, on the other hand, is completely reliant on the government. If the government shut down the trains, you are now stuck and there's nothing you can do.

I've already said before I support public transit in major cities and California is certainly in desperate need of it, I just don't believe that needs to be at the expense of accessibility for cars. It is very possible to have both.

You could get a bike.

TP2000

Just need to chime in and say, as someone from Vancouver with pretty fantastic transit… I was shocked when planning my trip to Universal / Disneyland, that the only real advice to get anywhere from LAX was to… rent a car?! What!

We are most likely just going to Uber to our hotel near Universal, and then take the train to Anaheim.

But it’s wild for such a big city.

There is a new light rail line opening at LAX this year that will connect directly with the system and LA Union Station. But...

A big part of that recommendation is the safety issue. Much of the LA metro system is plagued by crime and homelessness now; people living on the trains, doing drugs openly in their seats, etc.

I wouldn't tell a tourist to take public transportation anywhere in SoCal. Even in previously safe and sane San Diego, the trolley system there is now a rolling homeless shelter, with all the drugs and crime and vagrancy that comes with it. Plus the smells.

To tell a tourist to take public transit in Southern California isn't just irresponsible, it's mean.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

How are you going to get back to Hollywood? The last train out of Anaheim back up to Hollywood leaves well before park closing. You’ll be losing a large part of the day if you are planning to catch that train.

We are flying out of SNA.

Fly into LAX, two nights near universal, 5 nights near Disneyland.

Fly in on a Sunday, Tuesday travel day to Disneyland, fly out the next Sunday from SNA.

TP2000

Good point. The last Surfliner of the night leaves ARTIC at 9:10pm, so you'd need to be walking out of Disneyland by 8:30pm at the latest to Uber over there in time.

If you miss that 9:10pm train, there are bus options late into the night. But that requires two or three bus transfers and takes about 2 hours and 45 minutes to get you from Disneyland to Universal City. I wonder what the vibe is like on a crosstown bus in downtown LA at 1:30am? 🤔

Consumer

You could get a bike.
It would take around 8 hours to drive from Disneyland to the Grand Canyon. That drive would be AC'd and require minimal energy.

It would take around 45 hours to bike from Disneyland to the Grand Canyon. That ride would be burning hot and physically exhausting.

Bikes are for visiting your friend's house when you're in third grade, they are not a serious form of transportation.

TP2000

We are flying out of SNA.

Good choice!

Fly into LAX,

We'll pray for you.*

two nights near universal, 5 nights near Disneyland.

Sounds fun!

Fly in on a Sunday, Tuesday travel day to Disneyland, fly out the next Sunday from SNA.

Your travel day from Universal to Anaheim can be done quite easily via rail transit. You'd take the Red Line subway from Universal Studios/Studio City station to LA Union station, then transfer to a Metrolink commuter train or an Amtrak Surfliner (easier with luggage) for the 45 minutes down to Anaheim ARTIC. Then from ARTIC you could just do an Uber to your Anaheim hotel.

With a 10 minute transfer between trains at LA Union Station, it would take about one hour and 30 minutes and cost $15 to $20 per person, not including Uber cost. And it would certainly give you a fresh understanding of the vibrant and unique culture available to view inside the cars on the LA metro system! :)

*I'm trying to use that old LAX joke as much as possible now, because by 2025 that airport should actually be rather nice. It's impressive what $10 Billion can do for an old airport!

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Hope you know how to make gas out of crude or biofuel (assuming you're not going electric) as if that day every happens where driving is outlawed and roads are closed, so are the gas stations and refineries. So you aren't getting very far.

Disney Analyst

Good choice!

We'll pray for you.*

Sounds fun!

Your travel day from Universal to Anaheim can be done quite easily via rail transit. You'd take the Red Line subway from Universal Studios/Studio City station to LA Union station, then transfer to a Metrolink commuter train or an Amtrak Surfliner (easier with luggage) for the 45 minutes down to Anaheim ARTIC. Then from ARTIC you could just do an Uber to your Anaheim hotel.

With a 10 minute transfer between trains at LA Union Station, it would take about one hour and 30 minutes and cost $15 to $20 per person, not including Uber cost. And it would certainly give you a fresh understanding of the vibrant and unique culture available to view inside the cars on the LA metro system! :)

*I'm trying to use that old LAX joke as much as possible now, because by 2025 that airport should actually be rather nice. It's impressive what $10 Billion can do for an old airport!

That’s our plan! Taking train to Anaheim from Union! :)

Consumer

It’s how funny people advocating for cars and suburbs always talk about freedom while completely ignoring that so much of suburban and car-centric development is the result of disincentivizing and even outright outlawing other types of development typologies.
It's funny how this is the fifth time I've expressed how I support public transit being added to urban areas.

lazyboy97o

It's funny how this is the fifth time I've expressed how I support public transit being added to urban areas.
It’s not just an issue of supporting public transit. There are all sort of zoning and development regulations at play. Even things like financing policies and regulations. The suburbs in the US very much exist because people were and continue to be prohibited from developing property in certain ways.

Consumer

It’s not just an issue of supporting public transit. There are all sort of zoning and development regulations at play. Even things like financing policies and regulations. The suburbs in the US very much exist because people were and continue to be prohibited from developing property in certain ways.
If the people don't want it, then don't force it on them?

TP2000

Setting aside the first version of the concept; the trolley suburbs of the 1910's and 20's like Shaker Heights. The incredible growth of the suburbs since 1950 happened because Americans were "prohibited" from choosing to live in apartments in the cities? It seems to me that 150 Million Americans made the choice themselves, on purpose, to buy a house in the suburbs with a lawn and garage and a backyard. They chose that option on purpose.

If the suburbs are not your scene, that's fine. There's plenty of apartments and condos to buy in town. Anaheim has a huge stock of apartment blocks to offer, with literally thousands of units for rent or sale, for example...

If You Lived Here You'd Be Home By Now.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom