DisneyLAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsBee

Well I've never stayed there, but have had a look around the place. Its beautiful! I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel in February and it was $140 a night, which isn't too bad. I don't mind paying that. Now, the $310 they are charging a night right now? No freaking way! The Grand Californian is $425 a night right now, for the most basic view! Uh, no thanks! I could stay for 4 nights at the HoJo for that (its $101 a night with the MouseSavers rate).
I only stayed at the Contemporary this January because we'd not been in ages and got buy 4 get 3 nights free deal, otherwise no way. Moderate for me! Well, pretty much just Port Orleans as it is the only Value/Moderate theme I like!

Don't worry...I wasn't judging anyone for spending a lot on hotels...it's just not something I do.

$140 for the Disneyland hotel is good! Less than what we paid at POR last year.

justducky78

Original Poster
MrsBee - You are absolutely right. We don't really "plan" our trips at all. We basically choose the park we'll visit the night before and go from there. I love the spontaneity of the day and we usually always get to visit all of the attractions - stress free. I know some people plan their trips down to the minute (which is fine if that's how they like it) and research every ride beforehand, but I couldn't enjoy my trip that way. We go with the flow! Obviously we know WDW MK very well so this will be a little different, but I'm looking forward to just enjoying it (DL) for what it is. I'm sure we'll enjoy different aspects of each park. I didn't realize my OP would cause such an uproar from some people. That was not my intent.

I'm really looking forward to comparing the two parks - especially since so many people, like you, like it "more" than the WDW MK version.

Marsrunner - you are absolutely right about the proximity of the Grand Californian. If I ever get the urge to throw rocks at GRR, I'll make sure to book a room! LOL :animwink:

The view from the Contemporary is definitely wonderful, though. I've never stayed there but have eaten at the California Grill many times. It's a dreamy view! Love it!!

MrsBee

MrsBee - You are absolutely right. We don't really "plan" our trips at all. We basically choose the park we'll visit the night before and go from there. I love the spontaneity of the day and we usually always get to visit all of the attractions - stress free. I know some people plan their trips down to the minute (which is fine if that's how they like it) and research every ride beforehand, but I couldn't enjoy my trip that way. We go with the flow! Obviously we know WDW MK very well so this will be a little different, but I'm looking forward to just enjoying it (DL) for what it is. I'm sure we'll enjoy different aspects of each park. I didn't realize my OP would cause such an uproar from some people. That was not my intent.

I'm really looking forward to comparing the two parks - especially since so many people, like you, like it "more" than the WDW MK version.

Marsrunner - you are absolutely right about the proximity of the Grand Californian. If I ever get the urge to throw rocks at GRR, I'll make sure to book a room! LOL :animwink:

The view from the Contemporary is definitely wonderful, though. I've never stayed there but have eaten at the California Grill many times. It's a dreamy view! Love it!!

On thing I love about Disneyland as opposed to MK...is the looks of Fantasyland. I love the "buildings" at Disneyland's fantasyland. I just think they look neater than the circus tent feeling I get from fantasyland at WDW.

Disneyland just has a lot more details than the MK. At least I think so. I also felt like the lands at WDW weren't easily defined for me like they are at Disneyland.

And while I love the size of the castle at WDW...I love the color and details of the castle at Disneyland. (The castle at DL Paris kind of combines the two so it looks the neatest in pictures. I've never seen it in person though.)

agent86

I mean, I've been to disneyland hundreds of times in the last few years (my first trip wasn't until 2004)

In just five years you've been to Disneyland "HUNDREDS of times"?? Ummm...exaggerate much? :lol:

and I don't really know that much about attractions that existed before 2004. It doesn't make me like the park any less.

No argument here. My (and several others') basis for suggesting that the OP was down on Disneyland was not due to her unfamiliarity with the park. It was due to the negative comments she was making about her upcoming trip. Go back and read her original post and you'll see what I mean.

justducky78

Original Poster
MrsBee - Don't mind Agent86. He/she obviously doesn't understand sarcasm or exaggeration. I read MrsBee's post saying she's been "hundreds of times" and understood what she meant = LOTS. Apparently Agent86 only likes facts, cold hard facts. :lol::lol::lol: STOP ALREADY!

CThaddeus

I can honestly say I HAVE been to Disneyland hundreds of times in the past 5 years, so it is definitely possible (in fact I just got back from there a few minutes ago!). Of course, I live less than 15 minutes away, so a weekly visit isn't out of the question. In any event, she was exaggerating to make a point, which isn't against the law...or we'd have a lot more imprisoned politicians.

MrsBee

In just five years you've been to Disneyland "HUNDREDS of times"?? Ummm...exaggerate much? :lol:

No argument here. My (and several others') basis for suggesting that the OP was down on Disneyland was not due to her unfamiliarity with the park. It was due to the negative comments she was making about her upcoming trip. Go back and read her original post and you'll see what I mean.

Actually, Mr./Mrs. Sarcasm, I was NOT exaggerating. Nice try though. I lived 10 minutes from the park for almost 2 years. I went AT LEAST once a week. Sometimes more. A few times I went every day for an entire week. So I lived in socal for roughly (I don't know exactly and I'm too lazy to do the math) 85 weeks....once a week would be 85 times. And then if you factor in the other trips I've taken when I didn't live there and the times I went multiple times a week....I have gone close to 200 times. When I lived there I wrote on a calendar each time I went. I once added it up and it was getting close to 200 so I'm sure I've hit that mark.

Also, I already read the OP and I don't really find it overly negative at all.

agent86

When I lived there I wrote on a calendar each time I went. I once added it up and it was getting close to 200 so I'm sure I've hit that mark.

Wow, it sounds to me like you were more concerned with going for some kind of record rather than just enjoying the park.

Also, I already read the OP and I don't really find it overly negative at all.

Really?? You didn't find the following remarks to be somewhat "down" on Disneyland?? ('cause others besides myself certainly did):

Whenever my sister mentions Disneyland, we're like "PUHLEASE...it's can't be the same as WDW."

I was so disappointed by the area surrounding Disneyland - it seemed so seedy and not "Disney-like" at all.

I guess I'll have to get over it, enjoy Disneyland for what it is (since it IS Walt's first park) and see what it's all about.

It is Disney afterall --- it can't be that bad, right? I'm missing WDW already but we can't afford a trip down there right now.

No, that's not "negative" at all. She sounds like she's just THRILLED to be visiting Disneyland. :rolleyes:

agent86

MrsBee - Don't mind Agent86. He/she obviously doesn't understand sarcasm or exaggeration.

A good way to overcome the "he/she" guessing game is to simply look at someone's profile which, if you looked at mine, you'd see that it states I'm male. :wave:

MrsBee

Wow, it sounds to me like you were more concerned with going for some kind of record rather than just enjoying the park.

Really?? You didn't find the following remarks to be somewhat "down" on Disneyland?? ('cause others besides myself certainly did):

No, that's not "negative" at all. She sounds like she's just THRILLED to be visiting Disneyland. :rolleyes:

A good way to overcome the "he/she" guessing game is to simply look at someone's profile which, if you looked at mine, you'd see that it states I'm male. :wave:

Ah, yes....you know me SO well. Haha! Again, nice try. You have absolutely no idea how I tour/enjoy the parks.

Yes, I had an idea that you were male. A very young male, I'm guessing. But then again, I could be wrong. I try not to assume things about people just by reading a few words they've posted on a message board. If I were going to do that, I'd assume that that you just enjoy going on message boards to pick fights with people. But I try not to make general assumptions about people.

And I really don't feel like discussing things with you anymore because it's pretty ridiculous. And moderately off topic.

Now I'm off to find out if this message board has the "ignore" feature. This topic was NOT the best first impression to get after joining a new board. Yikes.

MrsBee

Anything I must do or see while I'm there? I can't go on any of the FAST/JERKY rides due to an injury, but I have to admit I'm looking forward to the "original" small world -- even though it's been updated recently -- and the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, etc...

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm really looking forward to visiting Disneyland now! I appreciate all of the suggestions of rides, etc.

I'm sure we'll enjoy Disneyland very much -- my husband is really looking forward to it, and my niece/nephew (who have been before) can show us the ropes!

See...I can tell you are really looking forward to the trip.

I was similar to you back when I went to Disneyland for the first time. I went to WDW three times as a child/adolescent and loved it. Then I went to Disneyland as an adult. It was also my first visit to the area. I was pretty shocked at how Disneyland was just stuck into the middle of a city. But I got used to that. And I remember seeing the castle for the first time and thinking "wow, it's really small." Then I thought "maybe it just seems small because I was young the last time I was at WDW." But no, we went to WDW last year and the castle is definitely huge compared to Sleeping Beauty's at Disneyland. However, I've grown to love the castle at Disneyland. It's short but I like the pink color (although it wasn't as pink when I first saw it. It was repainted at some point...2005 maybe?)

Did I think Disneyland was fantastic the first time I went? Nah. But I really love it now. (My husband even proposed to me there. On the bridge by Big Thunder....my favorite ride.)

I know some of this was mentioned before but oh well. These are the things that I definitely like better at Disneyland....

Space Mountain
Fantasyland - the details are fantastic.
New Orleans Square - I just like the theming better than Liberty Square
Pirates - the queue is better at WDW but the ride is much better at DL.
The rides WDW doesn't have (Casey Jr, Mr. Toad's, Storybook canal, etc.)
Snow White's wishing well by the castle is really cute and not to be missed, IMO. It's just to the right of the castle (if you're looking at it.)

I don't know if it's just because I've spent so much time there or what...but I just like the overall atmosphere at Disneyland better than the Magic Kingdom at WDW. I can't really explain it...but I love it.

justducky78

Original Poster
MrsBee - You really have been to DL quite a bit! That's amazing - I wish we lived that close to a Disney park! The closest thing we have to us is a Six Flags which isn't quite the same! :lol:

My husband also proposed to me at Disney -- but at WDW. It was wonderful and very memorable! Cheers to our husbands! :D

Thanks for the list of attractions you like "better" at DL - I look forward to comparing the two. I just read about the "walk through" at Sleeping Beauty Castle, something I think my niece (who is 4) would enjoy!

I agree with ignoring Agent86 from now on (at least in this thread)...if anything HE seems to focus on the negative and obviously didn't "get" my OP. I also get the impression that HE is a young male. Nothing against young people, but Agent86 seems very obstinate. Either way - let it go, geez!! **By the way, I don't go searching people's profiles, to look up their gender, etc. Who cares?!

MrsBee

MrsBee - You really have been to DL quite a bit! That's amazing - I wish we lived that close to a Disney park! The closest thing we have to us is a Six Flags which isn't quite the same! :lol:

My husband also proposed to me at Disney -- but at WDW. It was wonderful and very memorable! Cheers to our husbands! :D

Thanks for the list of attractions you like "better" at DL - I look forward to comparing the two. I just read about the "walk through" at Sleeping Beauty Castle, something I think my niece (who is 4) would enjoy!

I agree with ignoring Agent86 from now on (at least in this thread)...if anything HE seems to focus on the negative and obviously didn't "get" my OP. I also get the impression that HE is a young male. Nothing against young people, but Agent86 seems very obstinate. Either way - let it go, geez!! **By the way, I don't go searching people's profiles, to look up their gender, etc. Who cares?!

Yeah...I only care to check out profiles of people that I might find interesting or nice.

Our husbands are pretty great...haha. How long have you been married? Were you surprised when he proposed at WDW? We've been married almost 3 years. I was completely shocked when he proposed! At first I thought it was a joke or something...haha.

I never saw the original sleeping beauty walk-through. But I saw the new one in January and it was really cool. You really have to stop and look and each thing for a while. There are a lot of little things to notice.

popsicletrees

I went to DL for the first time two months ago. I am 22, but I have been to WDW every year since I was born. I had my doubts about DL at first. It isn't in the best area and definitely not isolated like WDW. Once I got in the parks, the feeling of isolation was there much like in WDW. I really loved DL. My family plans on going again at some point (we just live a lot closer to WDW). Fantasyland was a lot better at DL. I loved riding Mr. Toad again. We also had a good time pointing out the differences in the rides at DL from WDW. My family agreed, as WDW fanatics, that the trip to DL was well worth it.

TP2000

It isn't in the best area and definitely not isolated like WDW.

Anaheim is a developed urban area without the trees and swamps (and gators) of central Florida. :)

However, it is far safer for you and your family to be in Anaheim than Orlando. Orlando is one of the most dangerous cities in America with one of the very highest rates of violent crime per capita. Here's a simple chart and basic stats on how Orlando compares to Anaheim when it comes to crime.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Anaheim&s1=CA&c2=Orlando&s2=FL

You could also pull up Kissimmee, a much smaller city that is also adjacent to WDW property, and the crime in Kissimmee is very bad as well.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Anaheim&s1=CA&c2=Kissimmee&s2=FL

It's my understanding that this rampant and violent Orlando drug crime plays out not just in bad neighborhoods away from the parks, but also preys on victims in the parking lots of Orlando International Airport, carjackings and petty theft on International Drive, etc. The local drug thugs victimizing tourists (and getting bad publicity in the process) is one of the reasons Disney shut down the Pleasure Island nightclubs.

Anaheim, as a city of 350,000 with a very low crime rate, actually has one of the higher rates for Orange County, California. Pull up other OC cities near Disneyland like Fullerton, Brea, Orange or Irvine and the stats get even more alarming for Orlando or Kissimmee. http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Irvine&s1=CA&c2=Orlando&s2=FL :eek:

MrsBee

Anaheim is a developed urban area without the trees and swamps (and gators) of central Florida. :)

However, it is far safer for you and your family to be in Anaheim than Orlando. Orlando is one of the most dangerous cities in America with one of the very highest rates of violent crime per capita. Here's a simple chart and basic stats on how Orlando compares to Anaheim when it comes to crime.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Anaheim&s1=CA&c2=Orlando&s2=FL

You could also pull up Kissimmee, a much smaller city that is also adjacent to WDW property, and the crime in Kissimmee is very bad as well.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Anaheim&s1=CA&c2=Kissimmee&s2=FL

It's my understanding that this rampant and violent Orlando drug crime plays out not just in bad neighborhoods away from the parks, but also preys on victims in the parking lots of Orlando International Airport, carjackings and petty theft on International Drive, etc. The local drug thugs victimizing tourists (and getting bad publicity in the process) is one of the reasons Disney shut down the Pleasure Island nightclubs.

Anaheim, as a city of 350,000 with a very low crime rate, actually has one of the higher rates for Orange County, California. Pull up other OC cities near Disneyland like Fullerton, Brea, Orange or Irvine and the stats get even more alarming for Orlando or Kissimmee. http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Irvine&s1=CA&c2=Orlando&s2=FL :eek:

What about Los Angeles' crime rates? L.A. is about 25-30 miles from Disneyland....just like Orlando is about 25 miles or so from WDW.

TP2000

What about Los Angeles' crime rates? L.A. is about 25-30 miles from Disneyland....just like Orlando is about 25 miles or so from WDW.

The LA city per capita crime rates, while not as rock bottom low as the nearly crime-free OC cities around Disneyland, are still much lower than Orlando.

Granted, it is far more difficult to compare a giant and well established city of 4 Million people (Los Angeles) to a newer and rather small city of 215,00 (Orlando). But per capita, the rates are still very ugly for Orlando compared to LA. The Anaheim to Orlando rates work well as Anaheim is a city of 350,00, closer in size to Orlando.

But compared to Los Angeles proper, Orlando has double the murder rate, triple the rate of forcible rape, and most importantly for tourists, nearly double the rate of robbery and over triple the rate of aggravated assault. Larceny theft is five times as bad in Orlando, and even vehicle theft (A SoCal problem historically) is nearly twice as bad in Orlando compared to the streets of LA.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Los+Angeles&s1=CA&c2=Orlando&s2=FL

MrsBee

Well, I still feel pretty darn safe when I stay at WDW. The crime a city 25 minutes away has really doesn't effect me all the way over at Port Orleans Riverside.

Are there some stats about crimes reported at the parks? Or at resorts in the areas?

marsrunner

I think the point is that you are pretty safe at either resort. I felt completely safe in and around Disneyland just as I did in and around Disney World. Even on Harbor Blvd, at least alongside the park (that's all I've been at) is safe. I think its just a misconception that because Disneyland is inside a large metropolitan area that it is somehow unsafe or less safe than Disney World which is so isolated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom