DisneyLAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

justducky78

Original Poster
My husband and I are visiting my sister, soon - she lives in CA. I've been out there before but never visited Disneyland. We're planning to take a day and visit and I'm curious, but I feel like I'm cheating!! We LOVE WDW and have visited many times -- Ok, I'll admit it, we're DisneyWorld snobs. Whenever my sister mentions Disneyland, we're like "PUHLEASE...it's can't be the same as WDW."

I love all things Disney and we've visited Downtown Disneyland before but never gone inside the park. I was so disappointed by the area surrounding Disneyland - it seemed so seedy and not "Disney-like" at all.

I realize this is a big reason Walt built WDW -- to make up for the mistakes he made with Disneyland, but I still feel like I'm cheating on WDW by having a little Disneyland on the side - LOL!

Anyways - since we'll be visiting, I guess I'll have to get over it, enjoy Disneyland for what it is (since it IS Walt's first park) and see what it's all about. I'm sure I'll be comparing the two Magic Kindom's the entire time, though.

Anything I must do or see while I'm there? I can't go on any of the FAST/JERKY rides due to an injury, but I have to admit I'm looking forward to the "original" small world -- even though it's been updated recently -- and the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, etc...

It is Disney afterall --- it can't be that bad, right? I'm missing WDW already but we can't afford a trip down there right now.

Pioneer Hall

I felt the same way going to Disneyland my first time a couple of years ago. To me, Disneyland was a much better Magic Kingdom than the one in FL. The park is small, but has a very intimate feeling because of it. Some of the WDW attractions are better (Splash Mountain, Haunted mansion in my opinion)...but most are better in Disneyland.

WishIwasThere

The first and only time I made it to Disneyland, I was amazed. Having been to WDW magic kingdom dozens of times, it was quite a sight being in the original. There are quite a few rides that DL has that MK doesn't but for me it was just enjoying the different atmosphere of the original compared to what I already knew. For me, I'd say catch Pirates, HM, and Nemo subs. I'd add Indiana Jones, but you mentioned an injury preventing you from riding attractions like this.

Disneyfalcon

I was a complete Disney World snob until dh was stationed in California a few years ago. We fell in love with it. It was a little jarring at first seeing the back of Toontown from the interstate, but once you're in the park you can lose yourself in all things Disney. You won't be disappointed at all.:)

Space Mountain is so much better than WDW's version, and it's very smooth, but you will know best if you can do it.

Indiana Jones is great - but very jerky.

Matterhorn - very fun but jerky.

Don't miss Pirates, Small World, Storybook Canal (not because it's the greatest but because you can't do it at WDW), Nemo subs, the castle walk through and Fantasmic.

We also really enjoy the Billy Hill and the Hillbillies show at lunch.

smk

I loved Disneyland! You will too, more shops to browes in, smaller castle and different rides but the same feel. You will love it, I promise. Have a blast!

TP2000

Whenever my sister mentions Disneyland, we're like "PUHLEASE...it's can't be the same as WDW."

You are right. Disneyland is not the same as WDW. They are very different experiences.

I'm going to break with the crowd here and suggest you NOT visit Disneyland. It's just not going to be able to live up to your standards and the day will be a waste of money for you and your family. Seriously.

If you are in Los Angeles, you might consider heading to The Getty, or Griffith Observatory, or any of the excellent museums on Wilshire Blvd. The Getty Villa up in Malibu is breathtaking if your art tastes run to the antiquities rather than the modern. If you are big movie fans, Universal Studios is excellent and has a wonderful hour-long tram tour through their backlot. Warner Brothers has a more intimate tour in golf carts that takes a few hours but really allows you to get not just behind the scenes, but into them.

If you are in Orange County, you might consider spending the day in Laguna Beach, which is stunningly beautiful and has many fine shops and restaurants in town. A day trip out to Palm Springs can also be fabulous this time of year, and I highly recommend taking the Palm Springs Aerial Tram up to the top of the mountains.

If you are in San Diego County, the world famous San Diego Zoo is obviously a wise choice. Or the original Sea World on Mission Bay is a very pleasant day. Old Town San Diego with the Spanish influence is fascinating. Great restaurants abound in downtown San Diego.

CThaddeus

You are right. Disneyland is not the same as WDW. They are very different experiences.

I'm going to break with the crowd here and suggest you NOT visit Disneyland. It's just not going to be able to live up to your standards and the day will be a waste of money for you and your family. Seriously.

I don't think soooooooo. As someone who grew up on Disneyland and didn't get to Disney World until 1996, I see this the opposite way of those who've posted so far...and to be perfectly honest, I think Disneyland's standards are far higher than Disney World's. I also can't see how you could consider it a waste of money. That statement baffles me.
Yes, there are differences...many, in fact. Even the attractions that share names are at least slightly different in each Park. For me, the fun WAS comparing the two, discovering things I liked better and discovering things I didn't like as much. More importantly, I loved visiting attractions that didn't exist in California (I really miss Dreamflight and Timekeeper...and I truly wish Carousel of Progress would come back to Disneyland).
It's true that there are many other fun places to visit in Southern California, but quite honestly, as someone who moved here to be close to Disneyland, you'd be doing yourself a tremendous disservice by skipping Walt's original Magic Kingdom. I love both Parks, but I will always take Disneyland over Florida's Magic Kingdom. Even though Disneyland is smack in the middle of a huge bustling city, I find myself further removed from the real world when I'm there than I ever do at Disney World. Some may argue with me about that, but I can truly say that after visiting Disneyland almost once a week for over 16 years, working there for two, and coming here for vacation for the 22 years previous, it still has the ability to inspire magic in me. I get that from The Magic Kingdom, too, but not quite in the same way.
My advice - forget about the one thing everyone always feels the need to harp on - the size issue. Yoda said it best: "Size matters not." So what if the Castle is bigger in Orlando? So what if there's a slightly wider walkway in Florida? Is that really the only thing that's worth looking at? Focus on the details. Disneyland is full of them - little touches that Walt demanded and got because it was HIS Park...not the Park of a bunch of suits more interested in the bottom line than quality. Orlando's Magic Kingdom has a lot of detail, too, but I feel Disneyland has so much more. You could spend days just looking around and never go on a single attraction (or at least I could!).
Oh, and as for Universal - the tram ride is great, but after that, the rest of the Park is pretty freakin' lame. I've only had the urge to go once in the last 5 years, and that was only because they sent me a free ticket. Even then I stayed only 4 hours...and covered the entire park. The one in Orlando HAS to be better than this one.

marsrunner

Universal Orlando blows Universal Hollywood out of the water. It isn't even close. The tram ride is neat, but beyond that, everything there is better in Florida.
Disneyland is, for my money anyway (and I'm only talking about Disneyland Park, not the entire resort or California Adventure, which is a mess and will be until they finish the extensive refurb of the whole park) the best single Disney park in the United States. I'd say the world, but I've never been to any of the parks outside the U.S. except for Tokyo Disneyland and that was in 1987. Comparing it to Disney World is unfair, but comparing it to the Magic Kingdom is not. Everything, with the exception of Splash Mountain, is better in California or at least as good. The park is smaller, but there so many attractions and they are laid out so well it is kind of amazing. Once you are inside the park the outside doesn't intrude (for me anyway). Splash Mountain itself would be better in California too, or at least equal but different if it weren't for the horribly uncomfortable logs.
All this coming from someone who has been to Disney World 20+ times since 1975 or so and twice to Disneyland, both times in February of this year. They were both one day trips, but they were the best single days I've spent in any Disney park.
Waste of money? I don't think so. I wouldn't go there instead of Disney World for a week vacation, but I live in Phoenix so its only a six hour drive. A two day trip several times a year is much cheaper than flying all the way to Florida.

TP2000

I don't think soooooooo. As someone who grew up on Disneyland and didn't get to Disney World until 1996, I see this the opposite way of those who've posted so far...and to be perfectly honest, I think Disneyland's standards are far higher than Disney World's.

I actually agree with you completely. I'm amazed at how low they've let things slide out in Florida. The standards have all gone out the window out there in the swamp.

But for the OP, this trip is going to be all about "size" and the "seedy motels across the street" and the "tiny castle". Nevermind that Disneyland has 15 additional rides that Magic Kingdom doesn't have, or that both Anaheim parks combined have only 10 fewer attractions than all four WDW parks combined, or that the major Disneyland/DCA entertainment blows WDW's entertainment out of the water (Fantasmic! anyone?).

From the OP's opening statements, and her follow up paragraphs, this trip to Disneyland has already been judged as a poor replacement for WDW. She's going to walk in and take one look at Walt's castle and roll her eyes and apologize to the kids that they couldn't go to Florida this year. Because there's not a 60 minute process involving an aging city bus to get from one park to the other, it's going to be inferior for her, and she's already decided that herself. I'm being honest when I tell her she probably shouldn't go. It would be for the best, and there's lots of other fun stuff in SoCal to do besides a theme park.

Heck, the OP actually thinks Walt built WDW. Walt died five years before it opened and never even saw a bulldozer in the swamp out there. When he filmed the Epcot '66 film two months before his death, the map of the Magic Kingdom he points to was just a cut and paste job of Disneyland circa 1965, right down to the Matterhorn and the track layout for Casey Jr. Circus Train. Walt had nothing to do with the Magic Kingdom or anything we currently see in Walt Disney World today.

But it's vastly superior to Disneyland, of that we can be certain! :animwink:

marcriss

Growing up we went to Disneyland all the time.

Check out the Blue Bayou restaurant for lunch or dinner. It's adjacent to Pirates and the boats float by the restaurant. It's a little pricey and it's difficult to get reservations, but it's worth it. The Monte Cristo sandwich is a classic, very heavy and extremely unhealthy, but also delicious. The setting is like San Angel Inn in Mexico, but 100% better.

There's an Alice in Wonderland ride (I think it's still there), the storybook ride, I'm not sure if the Casey Jr. train is till there. The Haunted Mansion and Pirates are definites. Tom Sawyer's Island is better.

Another thing we always did was get beignets (New Orleans/French fired dough rolled in sugar) and Mint Juleps in New Orleans Square.

We went for a day in 2000 and the place was packed. But it is an experience that you don't want to miss. Try to stay way on the weekends when it is most crowded.

Have fun, it's a day of Disney!

justducky78

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your replies. I'm really looking forward to visiting Disneyland now! I appreciate all of the suggestions of rides, etc. I will enjoy comparing the two parks, I think. I'm just used to the MK in Orlando.

I was a little surprised by TP2000's hostile posts, though. I didn't think I came across (the way you described) in my post. I was simply stating that I'm a WDW girl-at-heart and the experience will definitely be different for me. My sister, who is the only family member who lives in CA, misses us very much, so anytime we book a trip to WDW, she says, come to CA - we have Disney! Obviously, you can't compare a 10 day trip to WDW to Disneyland -- I could tell that just by being outside the gates. But, she's never been and doesn't understand how much MORE WDW has in terms of parks, resorts, restaurants. Most people don't understand why we've been gone back to WDW again and again. But anyone on here would understand!!

I'm also well aware Walt didn't play a huge part in WDW - because he passed away. But, he DID want to build a bigger park, somewhere on bigger land because of the development that popped up around Disneyland. I'm sure everyone on this board knows this, but for some reason you're the only one that had to prove your Disney knowledge - YOU'RE SO MUCH SMARTER THAN EVERYONE HERE!

I also don't even have children - my husband and I just love WDW and try to visit every couple of years and live it up when we do (I've never even taken the bus at WDW so can't comment there about the "aging city bus?" - they always looked nice to me). Medical bills have kicked our butt so WDW is out of the question this year, but a vacation to CA to see my sister and Disneyland isn't.

I didn't say Disneyland is a "poor replacement" or that WDW MK is superior either - I haven't even seen Disneyland's MK yet. Thanks for putting words in my mouth. It's just always difficult to get past something you're more "used to" especially when it holds such a special place in your heart. My husband feels the same way. He went to WDW almost every year growing up, plus many times with me. We got engaged at WDW! It's sort of like your first kiss - nothing can ever quite measure up because it was your "first!" I didn't say I would HATE it, though. My favorite things about WDW is the resort feel of the entire place. Epcot, the hotels, restaurants, etc. It has so much more than JUST a Magic Kingdom, so it will be weird to visit Disneyland and then exit the park and see those "seedy motels" I mentioned before. It's just a totally different "experience," but I didn't say it would be BAD - I just have to get used to it. I had already mentioned how I was looking forward to the "original rides."

I appreciate your suggestions of other things to do (we love Laguna, etc), but we've done most of them before, just never visited Disneyland.

Apparently, everyone else understood where I was going with my post - it was meant to be a fun post to show my dedication to WDW. That's what this whole forum is all about, our love of WDW. Please TP2000 - save the hostility for your boxing class or whatever you do!

Thanks again to the other posters for your suggestions!!

unclemike

I actually agree with you completely. I'm amazed at how low they've let things slide out in Florida. The standards have all gone out the window out there in the swamp.

But for the OP, this trip is going to be all about "size" and the "seedy motels across the street" and the "tiny castle". Nevermind that Disneyland has 15 additional rides that Magic Kingdom doesn't have, or that both Anaheim parks combined have only 10 fewer attractions than all four WDW parks combined, or that the major Disneyland/DCA entertainment blows WDW's entertainment out of the water (Fantasmic! anyone?).

From the OP's opening statements, and her follow up paragraphs, this trip to Disneyland has already been judged as a poor replacement for WDW. She's going to walk in and take one look at Walt's castle and roll her eyes and apologize to the kids that they couldn't go to Florida this year. Because there's not a 60 minute process involving an aging city bus to get from one park to the other, it's going to be inferior for her, and she's already decided that herself. I'm being honest when I tell her she probably shouldn't go. It would be for the best, and there's lots of other fun stuff in SoCal to do besides a theme park.

Heck, the OP actually thinks Walt built WDW. Walt died five years before it opened and never even saw a bulldozer in the swamp out there. When he filmed the Epcot '66 film two months before his death, the map of the Magic Kingdom he points to was just a cut and paste job of Disneyland circa 1965, right down to the Matterhorn and the track layout for Casey Jr. Circus Train. Walt had nothing to do with the Magic Kingdom or anything we currently see in Walt Disney World today.

But it's vastly superior to Disneyland, of that we can be certain! :animwink:

Wow you really can't read can you, the OP said nothing about hating Disneyland and wondered what it will be like since she has never been. You really need to seek some mental help:shrug: As a Disney fan talking to another I know the OP will have a great time because she loves Disney. It will just be a different experience. It is certainly not a resort anything like WDW but it will be fun nonetheless.

Oh and thanks for the history lesson who doesn't know that Walt Died before WDW was build:brick: It looks like the OP knew that!!! So think before you type!!

Time to take a chill pill:hammer:

TP2000

I would simply suggest that the OP goes to DL and decide for herself. She just might be surprised.

Perhaps you are right, and that's probably the route I shoud have taken with her.

Words typed on a screen never end up conveying the right emotion, and I'm afraid my typed words came out harsher and not as gracious as they would have if the OP and I had been chatting at a cocktail party. :eek:

TP2000

I was a little surprised by TP2000's hostile posts, though. I didn't think I came across (the way you described) in my post. I was simply stating that I'm a WDW girl-at-heart and the experience will definitely be different for me.

Okay. But why not just say it like you did above, instead of take the original tone and dismiss Disneyland as "JUST a Magic Kingdom" in a "seedy" area? Other warning shots across Disneyland's bow you fired were stuff like...

"I'll admit it, we're DisneyWorld snobs."

"Whenever my sister mentions Disneyland, we're like "PUHLEASE...it's can't be the same as WDW."

"I guess I'll have to get over it, enjoy Disneyland for what it is..."

Geez, you aren't being dragged into a coal mine for vacation. It's Disneyland! :lol: But if you go in with an attitude like that, bemoaning the fact you can't just go to WDW like you want to, the poor place would never stand a chance. But, if you really are just a friendly "WDW girl-at-heart" and your first post just came off badly, as did mine I'm sure, then you'll have a blast at the world's most popular theme park.

If you really are going to go for it, and go in with a happy attitude, then might I suggest you focus on the attractions and experiences you won't find in Florida (and probably will never be built there)? Such as...

ATTRACTIONS EXCLUSIVE TO DISNEYLAND/MISSING IN FLORIDA:

Main Street Cinema - A Ticket
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - E Ticket
Matterhorn Bobsleds - E Ticket (but maybe just for husband due to wild ride)
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin - D Ticket
StorybookLand Canal Boats - D Ticket
Casey Jr. Circus Train - C Ticket
Alice In Wonderland - C Ticket
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - C Ticket
Pinnochio's Daring Journey - C Ticket
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough - A Ticket
Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo - B Ticket
Sailing Ship Columbia - D Ticket
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes - D Ticket
Indiana Jones Adventure - E Ticket

Just doing those 14 attractions could take a full day, and they are all things you will not find in Florida. Many are from the 1950's and 60's and were simply never created in another Disney park after Walt passed on.

As you take care of those, also focus on the attractions that are dramatically different at Disneyland. Many Disneyland rides have additional scenes and a longer ride time, in addition to just being designed very different by a different set of Imagineers. Other Disneyland attractions have been altered over the decades to include different scenes than the WDW versions. Such as...

ATTRACTIONS DRAMATICALLY DIFFERENT IN DISNEYLAND

Pirates of the Caribbean - E Ticket (see where the missing 7 minutes is)
it's a small world - E Ticket
Tarzan's Treehouse - B Ticket
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room - D Ticket (original 1963 show)
Jungle Cruise - E Ticket
Space Mountain - E Ticket
Disneyland Monorail (roundtrip) - D Ticket
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh - C Ticket
Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island - D Ticket
Autopia - D Ticket
Innoventions - C Ticket?
Haunted Mansion - E Ticket
Disneyland Railroad thru Grand Canyon Diorama and Primeval World - E Ticket

That list could help fill in the time with the first list of Disneyand exclusives, and now you are on about the second day of attractions if you try and do both lists combined.

For the most part, the remaining 20 attractions at Disneyland are shared with WDW with less noticeable differences; things like Big Thunder Mountain, Dumbo, Buzz Lightyear, Teacups, Peter Pan, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, Mickey's House, Honey I Shrunk The Audience, etc. Unless you are a huge fan of one of those rides in particular, you won't find much difference with the Disneyland version and probably don't want to waste your limited time on it.

For Disney's California Adventure, you'll want to focus on those things that are only found in California. Many of the smaller attractions you can just experience by watching it do its thing, like the four rides in Flik's Fun Fair. Here's the breakdown of those two categories;

ATTRACTIONS EXCLUSIVE TO CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE

Hyperion Theater Alladin Show - E Ticket
Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue - C Ticket
Disney Animation Pavilion - C Ticket
Flik's Flyers - C Ticket
Heimlich's Chew Chew Train - C Ticket
Francis' Ladybug Boogie - C Ticket
Tuck & Roll's Bumper Buggies - B Ticket
California Screamin' - E Ticket
Mickey's Fun Wheel - C Ticket
Maliboomer - C Ticket
Orange Stinger - C Ticket
Golden Zephyr - C Ticket
Jumpin' Jellyfish - B Ticket
Mulholland Madness - D Ticket
Boudin Bakery Tour - A Ticket
Mission Tortilla Factory - A Ticket
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail - D Ticket

There's another dozen attractions in DCA, but they are basically the same as WDW or not too different; Tower of Terror, Soarin', Tough To Be A Bug, MuppetVision, etc., etc. The one E Ticket over there that is dramatically different is Grizzly River Run, which is similar to Kali Rapids but much longer and with additional drops, not to mention a totally different theme.

In short, you need to focus on the attractions that are only found at Disneyland, or that are famously different than their WDW cousin. And then just soak up the different atmosphere, read the plaques given to Walt in the 1950's placed around the park, look for Walt's apartment above the fire station on Main Street, and just generally enjoy being in the park that started it all.

Good luck!

primetime52

Before my first visit to DL, I also had this "WDW snob" type attitude. Now I look back at those days and wonder what I was thinking. I don't really understand why this sense of competition exists between the DL and WDW faithful. I loved DL so much when I visited for the first time in 2007, that I have turned a DL trip into a yearly event. I still love WDW, though, for different reasons, and thus I still visit WDW at least once per year as well. They are 2 different experiences entirely.

All of the WDW and DL snobs need to put their "snobness" aside and just enjoy the 2 separate resorts for what they are.

WDW offers an escape from reality and surrounds you in an entire world of Disney. DL is a pair of great theme parks (well one great one and a decent one in DCA) surrounded by a buzzing Metropolis. WDW is a place where you can spend 2 full weeks and not run out of things to do. DL is a phenominal place to spend a long weekend in the park where it all started (the only theme park that Walt Disney himself actually visited).

Disneyland Park blows Magic Kingdom out of the water. Anyone who has visited both would admit this. However, they don't have any answer for Epcot and AK, which I can't live without.

It's definitely worth visiting Disneyland at least once. I guarantee that any Disney purist will enjoy it immensely.

justducky78

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your tips, TP2000 - I'll take them to heart. I normally speak very sarcastically, so obviously those are the parts of my post you picked apart - thinking I was just being a pill. If you re-read my post (in a sarcastic tone) you'll understand where I'm coming from. This is why good 'ol face-to-face conversation is always best - LOL!

I'm glad this post turned around - because this was not the direction I meant for it to take...

We love Disney! Of course, WDW is very special to us, but I've always been interested in what Disneyland is like -- it's probably just a bunch of crappy rides and a "small castle", though (see, there goes my sarcasm again)! :lol: I'm sure we'll enjoy Disneyland very much -- my husband is really looking forward to it, and my niece/nephew (who have been before) can show us the ropes!

Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom