Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom poll(only those who have been to both)

Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom

• Disneyland

Votes: 290 60.2%
  • Magic Kingdom

Votes: 192 39.8%

• Total voters

Figments Friend

I'd rather be at Disneyland.
Definitely.

That is coming from a 35+ year WDW Vet who became fully converted to Disneyland in 2013 after a couple of previous visits.
Magic Kingdom at WDW is a fun place to be, but of the two, i would rather be in California for so many reasons.

:)

TP2000

Although they may have more rides at Disneyland Resort per square foot, at some point you need to look at quality over quantity. For example, the entire bugs life land is like an afterthought. And all of the pier rides are so basic and carnival-esque that they don't really deserve any credit for being "Disney" rides.

The same could be said of Primeval Whirl, Triceratops Spin, etc. Interestingly, us Disney fans always seem to give a free pass to Dumbo, Rocket Jets, Magic Carpets, the Carousels and Gadget's Go Coaster/Barnstormer when those rides appear in a park with a Castle in the middle.

There have always been dressed up carnival spinner rides in Disney theme parks since 1955 and 1971. But when they appear in a non-Castle park they often face derision and criticism for existing.

TP2000

Just returned from another wonderful time out there in California two weeks ago.....and i cannot even begin to fathom why it took me so long to 'make the jump'.
Wish i had done it much sooner, but i'm loving what they are doing out in Anaheim.
Disneyland RULES.

I can only hope that WDW gets back up on it's feet and starts delivering the caliber it used to.
Perhaps the new additions coming along in the next few years.....

Agreed. There's so much fabulous potential at the WDW property, but the 21st century corporate culture there just seems to squash it.

Last edited:

sfeinst

Your eyes deceive you. Or rather, Imagineering's work at forced perspective has deceived you.

Disneyland's Main Street is exactly the same length and width as Magic Kingdom's Main Street.

The Central Plaza (Hub) is also almost identical in size and dimensions at both parks. It is exactly the same length from the Main Street train station tracks to the Castle drawbridge in each park. And it is even almost identically the same length from the Main Street train station tracks to the Carousel in Fantasyland behind the Castle.

Main Street USA appears longer/wider at Magic Kingdom Park because the buildings were built noticeably taller. That was a change made to accommodate functional awnings and overhangs to shield people from the Orlando climate more. But the building footprints and length of the street itself, even the width from curb to curb, is identical between Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. Isn't that interesting?!

Thanks for the images. Looking at them they definitely look the same size. That is so strange. I remember speaking to my daughter as we walked down main street and saying how it was shorter and she agreed. She preferred the length of MK to DL. I know it wasn't width, just length that seemed different. Maybe it is the height of the buildings, no clue.

So I will amend my vote to state, MK "feels" like main street is bigger. :)

s8film40

Thanks for the images. Looking at them they definitely look the same size. That is so strange. I remember speaking to my daughter as we walked down main street and saying how it was shorter and she agreed. She preferred the length of MK to DL. I know it wasn't width, just length that seemed different. Maybe it is the height of the buildings, no clue.

So I will amend my vote to state, MK "feels" like main street is bigger. :)
To me whats inside matters more than the size. Disneyland still has a good Main Street, MK has turned the whole thing into one large Emporium.

KCheatle

The same could be said of Primeval Whirl, Triceratops Spin, etc. Interestingly, us Disney fans always seem to give a free pass to Dumbo, Rocket Jets, Magic Carpets, the Carousels and Gadget's Go Coaster/Barnstormer when those rides appear in a park with a Castle in the middle.

There have always been dressed up carnival spinner rides in Disney theme parks since 1955 and 1971. But when they appear in a non-Castle park they often face derision and criticism for existing.

I don't disagree that Disney has maxed out on "spinny" rides. But I think the coaster is okay. It's a good kiddie-coaster. You can't really go over-kill on a kiddie coaster. It's the bumper cars at Bugs life, and the train that is like the one at the Mall of America, and the swings at the pier. Even the roller coaster on the pier lacks Disney creativity. Sure, it's a fun ride - but you could ride that same coaster at any theme park. The only thing that makes it "Disney" is that the loop is in the shape of a Mickey.

All in all, I just think DLR gets a bit too much credit for rides that could be found in even the most basic environments (i.e., school carnivals). But, by the same token, the theming of certain aspects of DLR blows WDW out of the water. Compare the two Frontierlands and there's no match. DL beats MK hands down. But, when we're just comparing ride-for-ride, I was disappointed in the ride selection at DLR.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
It all comes down to, where would you rather be: Disneyland or The Magic Kingdom? Ignore all other aspects of their respective resorts. Disneyland or The Magic Kingdom?

Disneyland without question. In many ways, but not all, it is the strongest of the two parks with more to offer. I am happy to see so many people agree, on a WDW fan site no less. Magic Kingdom feels like it's missing quite a bit, it should have more.

Chef Mickey

I have been to the MK probably close to 125-150 days in my lifetime (40+ trips,. typically 3 days per trip). I have been to DL maybe 30-40.

I'd rather go to Magic Kingdom and it isn't even that close. I'm going to lay out the differences, pretty objectively with some opinion after each item. I think when everyone sees it on paper, it's clear there are positives and negatives to both, but it's not as clear cut as this poll might suggest (In DL's favor)

I think this is still a personal decision, because objectively, there are a lot of things Disneyland has that the Magic Kingdom doesn't. However, it goes the other way too.

Disclaimer: I am somewhat slanted toward MK.

Reasons MK Is Superior
1) The size of Cinderella's castle/Main Street - It's just no comparison. MK is more grand.
2) Carousel of Progress - This alone makes me love the Magic Kingdom more.
3) Hall of Presidents - Underrated, but this attraction is incredible and better than Great Moments w/ Lincoln.
4) Tomorrowland Transit Authority (TTA). This is a huge plus for Tomorrowland at MK. DL's TL seems unfinished.
5) 7DMT - Even though it's not all it could be, it's still better than the Matterhorn (for me), despite what many will argue.
6) Country Bear Jamboree - Maybe corny, but I still love it. A classic and a plus for MK.
7) Overall, I think the food is just better, particularly the sit down restaurants.
8) The feel is still bigger and more grand, more like a destination versus a day trip. Somewhat subjective, but also measurable.
9) Wishes - It's just better for fireworks.

Reasons DL Is Superior
1) Snow White - Huge disappointment it's gone from MK
2) Mr. Toad - Huge disappointment it's gone from MK
3) Pinnochio - Not a favorite, but still a plus it's at DL
4) Alice in Wonderland - Not a favorite, but still a plus it's at DL
5) Pirates - I put this here because it seems consensus, but I actually prefer Pirates, HM, and Space Mountain at MK.
6) Lastly, there is Roger Rabbit, Finding Nemo Sub Voyage and a couple small nuisances, but nothing huge.

Rides like Star Tours and Indiana Jones don't count because WDW has Dinosaur! at AK and a Star Tours of its own.

The only things I REALLY want from DL are Mr. Toad and Snow White. For me, COP, TTA, and Hall of Presidents more than make up for those if I can't have it all.

I think when people prefer one of the other, it usually boils down to 1 thing: Nostalgia. It's definitely a real and powerful force, which definitely impacts how one views each park.

Overall, I think DL does a MUCH better job with the space they have, because they have to. WDW has the "wasteful" problem in all its parks and it does need improvement. DL is better managed, but it doesn't mean MK is poorly managed.

I don't agree with many of the decisions WDW has made for MK, but they do a lot right too (like keep COP). If they kept Mr. Toad and Snow White, I'd have almost no complaints.

Last edited:

ryguy

You can't compare the resorts, WDW wins hands down. But Between MK and Disneyland I would say Disneyland. The history and more ride offerings has to make it the winner.

The Empress Lilly

5) Pirates - I put this here because it seems consensus, but I actually prefer Pirates, HM, and Space Mountain at MK.
That was a great post, one of the better comparisons.
ok2.gif

As to your point 5 above, why would one include it if you personally feel otherwise? I think too much opinion is based on what others have to say. Over the years one sees public Disney opinion shift en masse towards one or other preference. I think currently DL gets too much credit. To me at heart it is still the inferior park. Sadly, for WDW fans, what it has going for it is more love, a treatment as the fan park rather than the mass market park, which makes it currently more charming and authentic. I still think that a few years are enough to reverse the MK's course. I see it happening at DLP at this very monent, which is transforming itself from ghetto to gorgeous boutique park.

And yes, MK vs DL Pirates (at least pre-movie overlay) is a toss-up, and MK HM and especially Space are superior.

Chef Mickey

That was a great post, one of the better comparisons.
ok2.gif

As to your point 5 above, why would one include it if you personally feel otherwise? I think too much opinion is based on what others have to say. Over the years one sees public Disney opinion shift en masse towards one or other preference. I think currently DL gets too much credit. To me at heart it is still the inferior park. Sadly, for WDW fans, what it has going for it is more love, a treatment as the fan park rather than the mass market park, which makes it currently more charming and authentic. I still think that a few years are enough to reverse the MK's course. I see it happening at DLP at this very monent, which is transforming itself from ghetto to gorgeous boutique park.

And yes, MK vs DL Pirates (at least pre-movie overlay) is a toss-up, and MK HM and especially Space are superior.
I just put it in there to be objective because I see that SO much.

Personally, I don't like the "New Orleans" bayou feel to Pirates and the queue at MK is far superior. Yes, the DL version is longer, but I don't think that makes a ride better.

Agree totally on Space Mountain. I am not a fan of the side by side design at DL and I think the in ride music at DL detracts from the experience.

cheezbat

Having been to both numerous times...park to park comparison Disneyland wins hands down. While Magic Kingdom has the superior Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, and castle, as well as the nice new Fantasyland, but Disneyland has way more to offer and the better versions of Space, Big Thunder, Small World, Pirates, Pan...as well as Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, and they still have Toontown!

Nighttime entertainment and parades Disneyland wins too. (Though the newer MK parade is nice)

Yes, Magic Kingdom still has Country Bear Jamboree, the Peoplemover, and Carousel of Progress which all still hold a special place in my heart, but Disneyland has something so special about it that the MK can't quite match.

malice

Magic Kingdom. I'm a Disneyland local and former AP. Ask me 5 years ago and I would've voted for my home park, but the combination of unmanageable crowds and tight walkways have really turned me off (my last visit was in 2013). Sure, DL gets marks for attraction count and entertainment, but I've come to appreciate the more expansive layout of MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom