Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom poll(only those who have been to both)

Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom

• Disneyland

Votes: 290 60.2%
  • Magic Kingdom

Votes: 192 39.8%

• Total voters

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Just recently came back from DL. What a great park. The outdoor queues everywhere do drive my nuts though and they do take away from what is a brilliantly themed park (and they take up some walking space, which is already tight). But I get there really isn't a way to change that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I cannot really decide which I like better. Sorry!

GVentola

Andrew C, how do you afford three Disney vacations in one year? (I'm envious!) Are you heir to the Trump fortune or something?

I would love to see all the Disney parks in the world.

Haymarket2008

It's gonna have to be Disneyland. Walt Disney World will forever be the best of the two resorts (size, parks, hotels, everything), but the ride lineup is better at DL park. Many things about Magic Kingdom are better but overall it doesn't beat DL.

doctornick

Just recently came back from DL. What a great park. The outdoor queues everywhere do drive my nuts though and they do take away from what is a brilliantly themed park (and they take up some walking space, which is already tight). But I get there really isn't a way to change that.

There are definitely things I prefer about WDW and the (typically) indoor queues are one of them. I understand the differences in needs between the two resorts due to weather, but the I much prefer the (typical) indoor themed queues of WDW compared to DLR as they get you into the mode of the ride and enhance the fantasy.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, the indoor queues are necessary at WDW due to the horribly hot and humid Florida climate. DL is built in a place with typically perfect weather.

The walkways aren't as massive as WDW's, which is made up of huge open areas of concrete that are just brutal to traverse.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I agree that Disneyland is the overall superior park compared to Magic Kingdom, but I'm really surprised that most voted this way too on a WDW forum. Nice surprise.

BalooChicago

DL reminded me of the MK in my youth. Characters just walking around, vehicles driving around. I couldn't get over how nice everyone was (CM and vacationers. There was a family waiting to ride up front in the Monorail when my son asked and they instantly told us to go instead. WDW has militant vacationers. I couldn't imagine that happening there.

That said, DL doesn't accommodate crowds as well. Our last day we hardly got on any rides due to the Tomorrowland premier and marathon.

As hated as Magicbands are, I found myself longing for them, as it would have allowed us to get on many more rides.

It'd be a tough choice but I'd probably go with DL.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

DL is like going to the state fair vs WDW
What's the logic behind your statement?

Logic is pretty simple. 2 days in at DL Wondering "what else is there to do".

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Look to each their own....but WDW vs DL is obviously a one sided conversation. You wanna say HM is better at DL vs WDW..great.. It's your opinion. As a resort or a destination it's not even close.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

For me it's no contest, Disneyland as a park is much better than MK, it has more rides, most of the duplicated rides are better at DL, it's easier to get around, it still has old FP, it's better maintained, it has better food, and most of all Walt Disney walked there and it's HIS park.

If we were voting on best overall vacation WDW would edge out DLR but as far as parks alone go Disneyland wins with MK and DCA very close for 2nd best park.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Since I grew up in LA, Disneyland has the nostalgia factor for me. And one of my favorite rides as a kid still exists at DLR - the submarines.

Certainly, Thunder, Space, Pirates & Haunted Mansion are better at DLR. And Sleeping Beauty Castle is my preference since she's my favorite princess. And how do you top DCA? The vibe is way cooler at DLR. And that you can walk from ANY DLR hotel to any park is a definite plus. So I give a slight edge to DLR. If we are including DCA in the comparison.

After seeing Fantasmic! at DLR, I can no longer stand to watch the DHS version, especially with that lame excuse for a dragon.....

Just got back today from the DVC member cruise and picked up a book on the history of DLR while on the ship.

Let's hope over the next 6 years leading up to MK's 50th birthday TDC spares no expense in making the park as top notch as DLR is. But without the pink cake castle. :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
DL reminded me of the MK in my youth. Characters just walking around, vehicles driving around. I couldn't get over how nice everyone was (CM and vacationers. There was a family waiting to ride up front in the Monorail when my son asked and they instantly told us to go instead. WDW has militant vacationers. I couldn't imagine that happening there.

That said, DL doesn't accommodate crowds as well. Our last day we hardly got on any rides due to the Tomorrowland premier and marathon.

As hated as Magicbands are, I found myself longing for them, as it would have allowed us to get on many more rides.

It'd be a tough choice but I'd probably go with DL.
^^ Yep, this sums up my experience as well.

doctornick

Things I prefer about Disneyland:
1. More rides in general, especially in terms of smaller FL rides, plus more E-tickets (Indiana Jones, Star Tours). And just the general density of the rides that they are kinda on top of each other.
2. Smaller footprint, so it is easier/quicker to get around
3. More larger scale entertainment offerings, in particular having Fantasmic! there
4. Better/more kinetics, such as in FL, the subs/monorail/Autopia and around the RoA (though MK does have the Peoplemover and elevated Astro Orbitor which are plusses for it)
5. Better/more varied in park food (though MK, once Skipper's Cantina opens, will largely close the gap, I think)

Things I prefer about MK:
1. Much wider pathways and less crowding. As terrible as it can be getting around MK certain times, it can be worse at DL
2. Better isolation of the different lands with isolated more immersive theming
3. More/better shows
4. the presence of the interactive games (I understand they are not everyone's cup of team, but I think the Pirate one in particular is quite nice)
5. Generally better queues that enhance the ride experience

I think the quality of cloned rides is relatively a wash (both have their share of the "better" versions).

As I said, I prefer DL to MK. However, I am curious as to what is in store for MK in upcoming years -- with ~$350M supposedly earmarked to the park and the possibility of a Frontierland expansion, MK could easily close the gap between the two. But in the meantime, DL will get Star Wars which will probably push it out ahead again.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The new hub at MK, when done, will be fantastic. Seeing it all come together as a pseudo topiary, it's really well done. Still being worked on, but an amazing "castle" experience I think.

At Disneyland, the star of the show isn't the Castle. It's everything else.

They are different animals.

George Lucas on a Bench

Magic Kingdom has the Lighthouse Sandwich and the toppings bars, but are its food offerings otherwise even comparable to Disneyland's Matterhorn Macaroons, New Orleans Square French creole cajun cuisine, Bengal Barbecue skewers, Plaza fried chicken, etc.?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom