Disneyland establishes "designated pin trading area"

MarvelCharacterNerd

As expected, the new setup is really poor on a practical level.

Most of the tables are too high for kids to easily see anything on them, discouraging them from the hobby. The setup makes the crowding at the entrance of Frontierland worse as people have to line up to see the few books on the tables which put everyone jostling shoulder to shoulder and waiting for a long time at each table just to see the one book on it. And there was no room to then show your own book of trade pins in return because the tables were too small for that. It was very daunting to even want to try to get near the traders. Whereas the benches were always open and inviting, especially to kids who could see the pins at their eye level.

Also, with people required to stand at a table with their pin book instead of sitting on a bench, this keeps people in a wheelchair or scooter from easily participating unless they want to haul a heavy pin book over their heads and onto the tables. And I heard complaints about that. So yeah, it's bad.

But it won't last. They're going to lose too many sales because of it. Not only did I not buy a lot of holiday pins I'd planned on getting this weekend because it was so unwelcoming there, so there was money Disney lost, but I heard other people saying the same thing - if they can't trade, why buy?

MarvelCharacterNerd

I'll add that while I would be totally fine with limiting pin traders to one or two bags (depending on size - some people have small pinfolios) and not having one person take an entire bench (how about you can only have what fits onto your lap - which is one or two bags), and even limiting the general hours of pin trading there to daytime, this "solution" they came up with at these tables is just bad.

Stevek

Lord. I say get rid of pin trading altogether, but this is a good start to curb.
At the very least, move it out of the park. Disney is so concerned about the whole reservation system and limiting attendance yet they allow the pin traders to come in and basically just take up some space. Move it out to a designated area outside the park. Problem solved.

As for pin trading with CMs, that should continue.

Consumer

Most of the tables are too high for kids to easily see anything on them, discouraging them from the hobby. The setup makes the crowding at the entrance of Frontierland worse as people have to line up to see the few books on the tables which put everyone jostling shoulder to shoulder and waiting for a long time at each table just to see the one book on it. And there was no room to then show your own book of trade pins in return because the tables were too small for that. It was very daunting to even want to try to get near the traders. Whereas the benches were always open and inviting, especially to kids who could see the pins at their eye level.

Also, with people required to stand at a table with their pin book instead of sitting on a bench, this keeps people in a wheelchair or scooter from easily participating unless they want to haul a heavy pin book over their heads and onto the tables. And I heard complaints about that. So yeah, it's bad.

But it won't last. They're going to lose too many sales because of it. Not only did I not buy a lot of holiday pins I'd planned on getting this weekend because it was so unwelcoming there, so there was money Disney lost, but I heard other people saying the same thing - if they can't trade, why buy?
Glad to hear pin traders are being punished.

CaptinEO

IMO kids should be discouraged from trading with random 50 year olds, just sounds like a bad incident waiting to happen.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

giphy.gif

Skip

I don't feel the need to diminish or try to stop what other people care about doing at the park even if it's not something I personally enjoy.

But it seems a lot of people here take pleasure in it. That's a shame and I feel sorry for anyone who tries to make other people feel small to make themselves feel bigger.

I mean this with all due respect and sincerity, but I think people are justifiably expressing their relief that a disruptive and at times unpleasant phenomena has ended. This isn't about making anyone feel small. It's clear that you enjoyed participating, but I think it's also worth considering why others are happy it's gone.

CaptinEO

I mean this with all due respect and sincerity, but I think people are justifiably expressing their relief that a disruptive and at times unpleasant phenomena has ended. This isn't about making anyone feel small. It's clear that you enjoyed participating, but I think it's also worth considering why others are happy it's gone.
Exactly. Disney isn't stopping pin trading, they are stopping it from being too obnoxious and giving traders dedicated tables. The fact the table height discourages children is a positive if you ask me.

Kids don't need to be trading with scammers that look like biker gang wannabes.

Nirya

They should just make the picnic area outside the park into a pin trading area. Lower barrier to entry with more space, and it's away from foot traffic.

MarvelCharacterNerd

No objection whatsoever to your respectful response and as previously noted, I've said I thought there were steps that could have been taken that would have alleviated the situation that I had no objection to at all.

I took issue to the rude bullying responses here that pushed me to put several people on ignore.

I have no problem with different opinions (mine are often in the minority around here), but I have a real issue with people insulting others to make themselves feel more righteous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom