Disneyland establishes "designated pin trading area"

Emmanuel

Original Poster
After years of seeing pin traders hovering over benches in Frontierlands entrance, Disney has finally set up a "designated pin trading area" in the same area with 6 tables

IMG_8584.jpg

The tables come with a QR code that opens a section on the DL Website explaining the rules

IMG_8583.jpg

The area will only be open from park opening until 3pm

PiratesMansion

It's about time they did something about this.

I don't know how I didn't notice this in my previous visits, but it was quite brazen and obnoxious walking into Frontierland every time this year with their giant displays that took up a huge amount of space.

CaptinEO

For those who don't know, the "traders" that set up basically scam people into buying them limited pins at the nearby shop (1 per person) to trade for one of their worthless pins.

They usually try to get the attention of children with pins of cute characters, so the parents end up buying an LE pin for the "trader" so their kid will be happy with their 5 cent stitch pin they wanted.

denyuntilcaught

Some people really enjoy pin trading and do it in a respectful and fun way. My wife enjoys it quite a bit and isn't concerned with how rare/valuable the pin is. She just likes collecting certain characters or collections.
I'm sure, and I'm sure there are many like your wife.

To me, it's a theme park. Pin trading adds a layer of odd interpersonal skeeze that just gives me the ick.

MarvelCharacterNerd

For those who don't know, the "traders" that set up basically scam people into buying them limited pins at the nearby shop (1 per person) to trade for one of their worthless pins.

They usually try to get the attention of children with pins of cute characters, so the parents end up buying an LE pin for the "trader" so their kid will be happy with their 5 cent stitch pin they wanted.
Yeah. No.

There's bad people and good people in every hobby.

I could just as easily say most of the kids are trading fake cheap pins their parents bought on ebay to try to scam traders out of their real pins. Because that happens too.

But there are plenty of people who just like the activity of trading pins for fun and aren't trying to scam anyone. Many traders give pins and lanyards away to encourage people to start collecting. Many will overtrade with kids because they're kids.

It also is a hobby that allows shy kids and introverts a safe way to interact with people socially. It teaches them monetary values and the merits of working to be able to get something better by earning it (i.e. a more valuable pin). It allows them to experience and deal with someone saying "no" to what they want, not just yes. And it is an opportunity for parents to teach kids to say "please" and "thank you".

It's a terrific hobby, but as I said, there's positive and negative to be found anywhere.

As for these rules - every couple of years Disney cracks down on pin traders, pushing them out of trading locations. Then after a while they realize they've lost a ton of money from people not buying pins, relax the rules and the gathering starts all over again. This too shall pass.

CaptinEO

Yeah. No.

There's bad people and good people in every hobby.

I could just as easily say most of the kids are trading fake cheap pins their parents bought on ebay to try to scam traders out of their real pins. Because that happens too.

But there are plenty of people who just like the activity of trading pins for fun and aren't trying to scam anyone. Many traders give pins and lanyards away to encourage people to start collecting. Many will overtrade with kids because they're kids.

It also is a hobby that allows shy kids and introverts a safe way to interact with people socially. It teaches them monetary values and the merits of working to be able to get something better by earning it (i.e. a more valuable pin). It allows them to experience and deal with someone saying "no" to what they want, not just yes. And it is an opportunity for parents to teach kids to say "please" and "thank you".

It's a terrific hobby, but as I said, there's positive and negative to be found anywhere.

As for these rules - every couple of years Disney cracks down on pin traders, pushing them out of trading locations. Then after a while they realize they've lost a ton of money from people not buying pins, relax the rules and the gathering starts all over again. This too shall pass.
I have nothing against people who collect or want to trade pins. I have a few dozen myself. But having been to Disneyland many times, the people setting up shop at the Fronteirland benches were mostly scammers.

They were basically hustling at Disneyland and tricking/emotionally manipulating children was an easy way to make money.

These rules are clearly meant to target the bad group of people and not your regular fans/collectors.

If there weren't any issues why would Disney implement these rules?

MarvelCharacterNerd

I have nothing against people who collect or want to trade pins. I have a few dozen myself. But having been to Disneyland many times, the people setting up shop at the Fronteirland benches were mostly scammers.

They were basically hustling at Disneyland and tricking/emotionally manipulating children was an easy way to make money.
Yeah, no. "Having been to Disneyland many times" is not being there several times a month specifically pin trading. Sorry you have a bad impression and/or want to believe what people THINK is happening, but while yes, there are some bad apples, there are plenty of good ones just there to trade and collect and spread a little magic themselves.

So you can keep saying it but it doesn't make it true that people there "were mostly scammers". Because I know the regulars there - several of whom are CM's trading in their time off because they enjoy the hobby. And while many traders have high-end pins that they have spent a lot of money on and don't want to exchange them for a kid's scrappers, it doesn't make them in the wrong. It makes it a teaching opportunity that the good parents there take advantage of and the not-so-good ones come up to the traders literally saying "I have all these I don't want - what will you give me for them?" (Happened the other day. Direct quote. A lanyard full of fake cheap pins. Suffice it to say, no one wanted to trade with that person and they walked off in a huff.) But even with that, I wouldn't say people coming to trade with those at the benches are "mostly scammers". Because that would be hyperbole. And totally untrue.

If there weren't any issues why would Disney implement these rules?
Because as I said, they do this every few years and the pin traders move elsewhere, it all calms down and they find a new place to gather and trade once Disney wants the money they generate in people buying pins for trade. This is the way. It's happened many times before and it will happen again.

mickEblu

I can’t understand how I never noticed this In all my visits as an AP/ Key on any sort of conscious level at least. Why is it kind of more bothersome that Disney is acknowledging it and making it “a thing” with designated tables? Maybe because now I’ll be more aware of it.

Last edited:

waltography

As a casual trader, the part about bench traders pushing parents to buy LE pins is definitely a problem I've seen from the more aggressive personalities, and I actively avoid those traders because of it. However, I don't think a majority of the traders at the benches trade fake/cheap pins; more often there were times I saw children trying to trade for "nicer" pins on people's boards but only having fake pins to trade (the unofficial Disney travel blogs love to share the "hack" of buying cheap pin lots off eBay to use as traders, and that's caused a fake pin problem in the parks). The new rules also give CMs discretion to trade for authentic pins only, so I hope it helps with that issue.

I'm glad a lot of the new rules are in place that dissuade the folks that think pin trading is a business from coming (the "one bag to trade" rule is especially good). I hope they add vinyl table covers to those pin trading tables though like the ones they add for food festivals.

PiratesMansion

I can’t understand how I never noticed this In all my visits as an AP/ Key on any sort of conscious level at least. Why is it kind of more bothersome that Disney is acknowledging it and making it “a thing” with designated tables? Maybe because now I’ll be more aware of it.
There was no missing the pin traders this past year if you walked around the entrance to Frontierland from Main Street before the sun went down.

They took up all the benches and sizeable chunks of space.

TrainsOfDisney

This seems to be very fair, they aren’t saying you can’t trade pins in that area, they just don’t want you taking up the bench space showing off your collection. Which seems logical.

westie

The pins on my lanyard are bolted on backs that I will not trade because of their age and value BUT, I always keep a couple traders in my pocket. One kid screamed, PINS! and wanted to trade so I pulled mine out and then he goes, No! I want one of those (lanyard pins). When I explained that they are screwed on with tools he got really peeved and walked away. Another little girl came up to me, really sweet kid, and I traded her a Disney Cruise Line pin. She had no idea what the cruise line was so I told her, Now your parents have to take you on a cruise! Now the parents are giving me dirty looks. Ya just can't win trading pins!

Emmanuel

Original Poster
Didn't the pin traders also have an area next to Buzz Lightyear? When did they move spots?

I think they did at one point. But they've been at the Frontierland entrance across form the pin store there as far as I can remember

CaptinEO

I'm going to start trading Disney vinyl records in front of main street music co. Will fill an entire wagon with them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom