Disneyland 1991 - Vol. III

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster

“Michael’s mandate was really clear. It was we wanted to build a second park in Anaheim, but the infrastructure in the city provided outside of our four walls was not very good and was frankly, decaying. How do we put beautiful tree-lined streets and how do we improve the infrastructure and parking? How could we transform Anaheim into a resort destination?”

- Paul Pressler, The Imagineering Story.

Project Background

Before Frank Wells passing, the company doing rather well on expansion and revitalization, and on the brink of an Animation Renaissance and designing Disney's America. Disneyland itself is hitting some major milestones, with Star Tours, Captain EO, and Splash Mountain hitting the scene. Mickey's Toontown, a new land for the park, is set to open in the next two years.

This is the third volume to the hit brainstorming thread Walt Disney World 1966, and it’s successor, Disneyland Madrid Resort 1985 - Vol. II. 1966 ended up with 118 pages of content, let's see if we can top it!

It's group brainstorming - not a competition. That being said, there are a few twists this volume though, so be prepared for some shake-ups.

In that prior respect, I'm bringing this new project to the forum, for a new plan for the Disneyland Project from the ground up. We're going to Keep Moving Forward and open new doors!

The Prompt

The year is 1991, the decision has been made to push forward with developing the Disneyland Resort, ignoring Paris' initial woes. Michael Eisner has instructed us to transform Anaheim into a resort destination.

So, the question is, as a team, what do we do and where do we start?

AerialDisneyland5.jpg

Future Directory

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
You could still build in that south parking lot where DCA is, but that might be unoriginal. How big would this be?

As brig as the original capacity allows.

Basically, and someone can correct me if I’m wrong, what’s currently there plus another expansion pad right of property.The last photo should have the boundaries highlighted.

Disney Warrior

Currently thinking of putting the second park in the original parking lot (save some room for hotels), I think a water park could also work for this resort (north of the hotel?) but I want to hear other’s opinions for land usage first

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Currently thinking of putting the second park in the original parking lot (save some room for hotels), I think a water park could also work for this resort (north of the hotel?) but I want to hear other’s opinions for land usage first

A Waterpark would be interesting! Maybe mix it with a Hotel?

Wouldn’t mind animals here either like DAK. @Dark PerGron do you think it’s doable with the land space?

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

“Michael’s mandate was really clear. It was we wanted to build a second park in Anaheim, but the infrastructure in the city provided outside of our four walls was not very good and was frankly, decaying. How do we put beautiful tree-lined streets and how do we improve the infrastructure and parking? How could we transform Anaheim into a resort destination?”

- Paul Pressler, The Imagineering Story.

Project Background

Before Frank Wells passing, the company doing rather well on expansion and revitalization, and on the brink of an Animation Renaissance and designing Disney's America. Disneyland itself is hitting some major milestones, with Star Tours, Captain EO, and Splash Mountain hitting the scene. Mickey's Toontown, a new land for the park, is set to open in the next two years.

This is the third volume to the hit brainstorming thread Walt Disney World 1966, and it’s successor, Disneyland Madrid Resort 1985 - Vol. II. 1966 ended up with 118 pages of content, let's see if we can top it!

It's group brainstorming - not a competition. That being said, there are a few twists this volume though, so be prepared for some shake-ups.

In that prior respect, I'm bringing this new project to the forum, for a new plan for the Disneyland Project from the ground up. We're going to Keep Moving Forward and open new doors!

The Prompt

The year is 1991, the decision has been made to push forward with developing the Disneyland Resort, ignoring Paris' initial woes. Michael Eisner has instructed us to transform Anaheim into a resort destination.

So, the question is, as a team, what do we do and where do we start?

AerialDisneyland5.jpg

Future Directory

Hollywoodland will be amazing for to be opening in 1999 with The Great Movie Ride, Superstar Television, Toontown Transit, Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy Ride and Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers.

ThemeParkPriest

I think where we put the parking is key. The Magic Kingdom at Disney World shows that the expectation of having parking right next to the park can be blown away if there is an efficient way of moving people from the parking (maybe on the right side of the map) to the parks.

JokersWild

Not sure how much time I’ll have to meaningfully contribute to this, but we could always take a cue from history and steal a concept from another company.

We’re on the eve of the renaissance, and Disney would presumably be trying to revitalize their image anyway - what about Cartoon World? This was the concept that became Islands of Adventure. I believe Universal was developing it around this time, and a Disney version of it would be really fun to see. We could do a Silly Symphony Land, an proper Mickey land, maybe a darker ToonTown a la Roger Rabbit, with some modern touches of course, like The Little Mermaid.

I don’t know a ton about DLR’s land, but placing this over DCA’s footprint makes the most sense to me.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Hollywoodland will be amazing for to be opening in 1999 with The Great Movie Ride, Superstar Television, Toontown Transit, Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy Ride and Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers.
Not sure how much time I’ll have to meaningfully contribute to this, but we could always take a cue from history and steal a concept from another company.

We’re on the eve of the renaissance, and Disney would presumably be trying to revitalize their image anyway - what about Cartoon World? This was the concept that became Islands of Adventure. I believe Universal was developing it around this time, and a Disney version of it would be really fun to see. We could do a Silly Symphony Land, an proper Mickey land, maybe a darker ToonTown a la Roger Rabbit, with some modern touches of course, like The Little Mermaid.

I don’t know a ton about DLR’s land, but placing this over DCA’s footprint makes the most sense to me.

As an alternative to the hubs-and-spokes (which I think is a great way to organize a park) layout, we could aim for something more like Islands of Adventure.

So, to melt every thing together - maybe a Hollywood entrance with a cartoon area? But instead of it being small land… make the cartoon areas like 2/3 of the park? You start similar to a DLRP indoor studio enterace or a GMR ”into the movies” setup - and then lead to studio “lands” surrounding a lagoon?

Maybe you enter different “studios” and go through different lands that way? (Lucas, Pixar, Disney Animation, Disney Live Action, etc.)

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
I think where we put the parking is key. The Magic Kingdom at Disney World shows that the expectation of having parking right next to the park can be blown away if there is an efficient way of moving people from the parking (maybe on the right side of the map) to the parks.

I agree… I’m thinking the property acquisition in the right map across the street? Come in via monorail or something similar to TTC?

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
I feel that the DisneySea concept lends itself well to a water park. Throw in a volcano weenie (ala Volcano Bay[t]) with some slides and Jules Verne theming, and areas based on New York, Mediterranean, and Latin America (though one might have to be a later addition)

So Discovery Bay hotel/waterpark… interesting. Could be a great excuse for a new take on 20k.

Or are you thinking more of a Hotel Mira Coasta situation for the hotel?

Journey to the Center of the Earth Flume? That’d be cool.

Lot of wiggle room with that idea….

Disney Warrior

So Discovery Bay hotel/waterpark… interesting. Could be a great excuse for a new take on 20k.

Or are you thinking more of a Hotel Mira Coasta situation for the hotel?

Journey to the Center of the Earth Flume? That’d be cool.

Lot of wiggle room with that idea….
I’d keep the Miracosta (entrance) but also include variations of 20k (themed lazy river/dark ride?) and Journey (flume or water coaster)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom